Home
Posted By: RWL99 .45 acp Ultimate Defense - 08/17/14
My main carry is a Springfield XDS .45. I have kept it loaded with 185gr Barnes TAC-XPD. The other day I picked up a couple box's of ammo one of which was Remington Ultimate Defense 230gr BJHP. It says it's made for short barrel "compact Handguns". Has anyone done any testing on this ammo...just curious.

The Hornady Critical DUTY is 220gr FlexLock

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RWL99 Re: .45 acp Ultimate Defense - 08/18/14
Has anyone done any testing on this ammo.

I guess not... frown
Haven't tried that ammo, but my XDS really likes the 185 gr +P Remington Golden Sabre, and the Speer 200 gr Gold Dot ammo.
Posted By: DaddyRat Re: .45 acp Ultimate Defense - 08/18/14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qB0k1iqAvk
I found this test on youtube, thr Rem Ultimate Defense didn't do too good.. smirk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBkyvOZ7Awo
The Hornady Critical DUTY did good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZObknkfoq0
Posted By: gunner500 Re: .45 acp Ultimate Defense - 08/18/14
If your piece functions 100% with the 185 Barnes no need in taking a step backwards fooling with anything else. smile
Posted By: RWL99 Re: .45 acp Ultimate Defense - 08/19/14
You're probably right but I'm always looking to find something that might be a better choice.

Here's the Barnes test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI4YsRO_f_Q
Posted By: gunner500 Re: .45 acp Ultimate Defense - 08/20/14
It is fun to experiment, but hard for me to steer clear of the 185 Barnes. smile
Posted By: SansSouci Re: .45 acp Ultimate Defense - 08/20/14
When I've carried a .45 ACP for self-defense, I almost always carried 230 grain ball ammo & never felt vulnerable.
Posted By: EdM Re: .45 acp Ultimate Defense - 08/20/14
Apparently I am a fossil and still use the Federal 230 gr Hydra-Shok in my 45's.
Originally Posted by SansSouci
When I've carried a .45 ACP for self-defense, I almost always carried 230 grain ball ammo & never felt vulnerable.

I carry a mag or two of 230 fmj flat points also, those along with the momentum of a +P loaded 230 gr bonded bullet cant be denied.

The old hydra-shoks are no slouch either ED, damn sure wouldnt wanna catch one.
Originally Posted by gunner500

The old hydra-shoks are no slouch either ED, damn sure wouldnt wanna catch one.

True, they just don't do car door/windshields and Navy P-coats very well.
They'd be stellar on crackhead hide up in ferguson.
Posted By: RWL99 Re: .45 acp Ultimate Defense - 08/20/14

I never met a Sailor I thought I'd have to shoot... laugh
Originally Posted by gunner500
They'd be stellar on crackhead hide up in ferguson.

I'd guarantee it.
Originally Posted by RWL99

True but the hoodrats up north once had an affinity for them. A Bluejean jacket can supposedly clog some smallish HP's an keep them from opening so they say. The new Barnes stuff looks like the load to beat. That or the 127gr Ranger.
The 230 gr. .45 ACP HydraShoks tests I've seen did very well on car doors and windshield glass. That's the big difference between it and anything out of a 9mm. E
.45 ACP hardball, the classic round nose ammo, has been over rated for years. That's why everybody that understands anything carries expanding ammo. Unlike the 9mm stuff, it's pretty tough to get .45 ACP HP ammo that doesn't do well.
However, the better 9mm HP ammo apparently works better than the old hardball .45 ACP. E
Posted By: EdM Re: .45 acp Ultimate Defense - 08/21/14
Wow. I feel so much better with my choice of the Federal load. smile
Posted By: RWL99 Re: .45 acp Ultimate Defense - 08/21/14
I've got a couple box's of Hornady ZOMBIE MAX, 185gr Z-Max. I keep a clip loaded with those... just in case. smirk
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: .45 acp Ultimate Defense - 08/21/14
Originally Posted by RWL99

Nor a car, either.

They don't factor much into my self-defense planning.
Tjm cars can pop up at very inopportune times but I have not seen a p-coat in Montana yet. smile

I guess I pick defensive ammo the same way I pick out hunting ammo. I dont want ammo that will be spectacular under one scenario and will not perform acceptably in other scenarios.

As someone else mentioned, about any current generation HP in a .45 will work but if pushed to picked one I would go with the 185 barnes as loaded by corbon or the Federal 230 HST.
© 24hourcampfire