Home
Posted By: leomort 44 magnum reloading question - 09/07/14
Brand new to reloading. So this probably going to sound like a really stupid questions.

I'm look at reloading my 44 Magnum but what to start at 44 special levels for recoil reasons. However, looking at the 44mag reloading books, I'd have to go under the minimum starting load.

Does the mean, I need to by 44spec brass?

Or can I use 44mag brass and just use 44spec load quantities and be safe?

Thank you for your help!
First thing is to use powders that are suitable for low load densities. 231 or HP38 come to mind real quick, but I'm sure others can suggest powders as good or possibly better.

You can load the .44 Special loads in the Magnum brass, but velocity may be slightly lower due to the larger case volume, and that can be compensated for by a slightly larger charge. If you have a chronograph, it can guide you to book velocities.

It is not a problem to use .44 Special brass, either. The cartridges have the same relationship as .38 Special/.357 Magnum, in that the shorter cartridges can be fired in the longer chamber.
Posted By: molly Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/07/14
Trail Boss would be a good place to start with 44 mag brass. Check the web for recommended loads.
I agree 100% with Vic, I've down-loaded thousands of .44 Magnum brass to Special levels.

My first suggestion would be to not use Special "starting" loads but jump to high end loads as you don't want the pressure to drop too low and stick a bullet. This might not be a problem, but I've become rather cautious in my dotage.

Second suggestion would be to avoid the slower powders like the 4227's and 2400 if you are looking for light target loads. Someone will flame me for that, but really 231 already mentioned, TiteGroup, Unique, Universal and Trail Boss are all more appropriate. I've also used Red Dot and a half-dozen others with success.
Posted By: Pittu Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/07/14
The only thing I would to the above is to avoid powders like H110 and 296. They are not meant to be loaded down to slower velocities.
Thank you everyone for your help so far.

I have one pound of unique and one pound of 2400. That's it! Reloading components are tough around here for pistol powder! frown
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=44+Magnum&Weight=All&type=Handgun

http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-tl430-240swc.html

7 grains of red dot,or 7 grains of unique makes a mild but accurate small game and target load, at about 45 acp power level
Posted By: Pittu Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/07/14
Unique would work just fine...
Originally Posted by leomort
Thank you everyone for your help so far.

I have one pound of unique and one pound of 2400. That's it! Reloading components are tough around here for pistol powder! frown

Yeah, they are here, too. The good news is those 2 will do all you need to do.
Yep, 8.0 to 8.5 grains of Unique in magnum brass will push a 240/250 gr. bullet to 900 to 950 fps. depending on barrel length and whether or not a jacketed or cast bullet is used. This is a very comfortable load to shoot. With the two powders you mentioned, standard large pistol primers are what you will want to use. I like to use magnum brass even for reduced loads so I don't have an extra powder ring in the chamber to clean out. Just my way of doing it.

If you decide you want a little more power, 10.0 grains of Unique is a good medium load with the same bullets. Use your 2400 for max to near max loads. Have fun..........
8 grains of Unique with a 240gr Keith style cast semi-wadcutter is my go to .44 "lite" load. It's also very accurate in all of my .44 mag revolvers.
I load a lot of sub sonic .44 "mag", 1100 fps - 1050 fps, and have had the best luck with Universal. I have also tried H110 and magnum primers when using 300gr Barnes all copper bullets sub sonic with some success - know a guy who hog hunts "professionally" with suppressed .44 mags who uses H110 and 300gr XTP's exclusively for velocities of 1050 - 1100 fps. Remember with Trail Boss that it is for lead bullets only. Some of my sub sonic loads with Trail Boss and 240 gr Lead SWC produce 800 - 900fps. I am loading some "light" .44 mags now with 300gr Nosler JSP and Titegroup that should give a little under 1100 fps - I like big bullets at lower velocities for my .44 use most of the time, shoot a lot of 335gr Hard Cast ahead of Universal sub sonic, also. The Barnes bullets and H110 are the only loads I use magnum primers on, the rest just get Large Pistol Primers.

Just my results, and what works for me. As mentioned, anytime you load light like this, be careful of a bullet lodging in the barrel.
I've been reloading the .44 Magnum since late 60's. You've had good advice so far. Play with the powder charges at one grain intervals if you aren't happy with the gun's accuracy. I prefer cast lead bullets for reduced loads.
One of my favorite light loads I got from an Elmer Keith article. It is 5 grs. of Bullseye under a 250 gr. cast keith bullet. At about 750 fps. with "cream puff" recoil, it hits alot harder than you'd think.
The only thing you might find it that reduced loads won't shoot where your full power loads will. Many have found that the Big 44 works quite well with 240-250 gr. bullets at a mere 1000-1100 fps. however. E
In a mag case I like 9.0gr's of Unique and a 240-260gr bullet.

Travis
I have used 14 grains of the old 2400 with cast bullets. I have no idea what they clock though.
Unique is a good bet for special loads in mag brass, along with others listed above. I also know that clays works for cast bullets, along with HS-6, Longshot, 2400, and a several others. Playing with the pressure/velocity gamut by altering powders and charges is much of the fun of handloading, for me. Big bores and big bullets don't need speed to be effective for all applicable purposes, and loads can be tailored to niches, or one-size-fits-all.

Can't beat Unique for this purpose, especially since you have some. Starting loads can be whatever gets the bullet through the bore, up to some fairly good speeds, as it is forgiving in big cases. Once you've gotten Unique figured out, step up to the slower burner.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/08/14
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
8 grains of Unique with a 240gr Keith style cast semi-wadcutter is my go to .44 "lite" load. It's also very accurate in all of my .44 mag revolvers.

^^^^

This. Exactly.
Posted By: EdM Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/08/14
I prefer Titegroup for all of my reduced loads. With 44 Mag brass, seven grains behind the 250 gr Lyman 429421 as sold by Western Bullet Co shoots very well in all of my 44 Mags.
My 240 SWC load of choice in mag brass of late has been 6.8 gr Int Clays. Guessing the speed is 950-1000. It dirties the brass a bit, but it's plenty accurate and mild for practice/plinking/utility. And I get a whole lot of shooting done with a little bit of powder.
Thank you, Gentlemem for all your help!

I have 500 240gr swc lead bullets from Meister.
CCI and WLP primers to try.
Have 100 once fired winchester 44mag brass.

Thank goodness for these frugal loads as I've only have 1 lb of Unique. Hope some more pistol powder come back on shelves soon!
Posted By: Gibby Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/08/14
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

^^^^

This. Exactly.

Another vote for this load. Testing has already been done for you. It is the "sweet spot".

Use any primers you have, but the standards will have less leading using the lead based bullets. (slightly less)
Posted By: Pittu Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/09/14
Well if you run out of unique, dont fear, roll some ammo up with the 2400. That stuff shoots awesome accurate with 240 grain XTPs in my 9.5" SRH.
Posted By: Gibby Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/09/14
Originally Posted by Pittu
Well if you run out of unique, dont fear, roll some ammo up with the 2400. That stuff shoots awesome accurate with 240 grain XTPs in my 9.5" SRH.

Great powder for the 44 mag for hotter loads. Not so much for reduced loads.
Find you some Trail Boss and load 8 grains under a 240 grain SWC bullet. Runs 850fps from my 4 inch 44 Mag and recoil is mild.

Jerry
Posted By: dla Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/09/14
Brand new to reloading. So this probably going to sound like a really stupid questions.

I'm look at reloading my 44 Magnum but what to start at 44 special levels for recoil reasons. However, looking at the 44mag reloading books, I'd have to go under the minimum starting load.

Thank you for your help!

Just one thing - why do you want to shoot 44Minimum? Why not shoot 44 mag loads?

I don't understand why guys buy a big, hairy, he-man 44 mag and then shooter poofter loads through it. I think you're better off either learning to shoot it at its potential or selling it and getting something with less buck and roar.
dla,

That's where I'm trying to build my self up to. Start off with mouse fart loads, then work my way up to the bigger stuff.

However many of the 44mag aficionado who have much more experience than me, advise that one doesn't need to run the 44mag full tilt to be effective.

I believe in essence this is due to bigger "cork" in the bottle type situation. But I can open to correction on that point.

However, yes. If I can't work myself up to larger, heavier recoiling load the 44mag will go down the road.
Originally Posted by dla
Just one thing - why do you want to shoot 44Minimum? Why not shoot 44 mag loads?

I don't understand why guys buy a big, hairy, he-man 44 mag and then shooter poofter loads through it. I think you're better off either learning to shoot it at its potential or selling it and getting something with less buck and roar.

I don't always shoot max loads because I do not have to do so to have the revolver give me the performance I want in certain situations. Low power loads are sometimes more useful than max loads. I do have plenty of lower power handguns but would generally prefer to switch ammo than to switch handguns when situations change.

I had an old Mercedes back in the 1960's that would do over 140 MPH. I know that from personal experience. I did not, however, always drive 140 MPH in that car even though I knew I could.
dla,
The great thing about reloading is that you can customize your loads to satisfy your needs. I shoot reduced loads in my 44 magnums probably 90% of the time, but I have the option to shoot full power loads should the need or desire to do so arises. In all honesty, shooting is a fun sport, and I don't understand why anyone would want to shoot full power rounds at rabbits or tin cans. There is much value, however, to using the same handgun for both type of loads.
There are few critters that won't succumb to a properly placed 240-270 gr cast bullet under 10 gr of unique clocking ~1000 fps at the muzzle. They are not powder puff loads, just good solid accurate working loads.
Asked the same question a while back and got the trail boss recommendation so I tried it with 240 gr lead... It a good accurate load. And pretty mild recoil...
Posted By: Gibby Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/10/14
Originally Posted by lastround
dla,
The great thing about reloading is that you can customize your loads to satisfy your needs. I shoot reduced loads in my 44 magnums probably 90% of the time, but I have the option to shoot full power loads should the need or desire to do so arises. In all honesty, shooting is a fun sport, and I don't understand why anyone would want to shoot full power rounds at rabbits or tin cans. There is much value, however, to using the same handgun for both type of loads.

There is much truth to this.
Originally Posted by dla

Thank you for your help!

once again DLA, your lack of handgun hunting experience shows. Thats the beauty of hardcast, you don't have to drive them to mach speed to kill game. I enjoy reading the posts to show what you really are, after all the chit you talk on here and else where.
Originally Posted by dla

Thank you for your help!

I agree you, you don't understand.

Thank you for your help!
You do have some options. Most have been stated here in the previous posts. The easy way is to just use 44 special loads and brass. There are many light loads for the 44 mag too, as well as trail boss loads. Practice with the easy stuff and work your way up to a comfortable level. It doesn't take 3000 fps in a handgun to effectively kill game. Find a good bullet, accurate load and put it in the right spot. Its really that easy.
Leo,

The beauty of the .44 magnum, as well as that of the .41 magnum and the 45 Colt, is this; what else could you shoot that gives you all the options that have been described on this thread? The option of shooting "poofter" loads as well as "big, hairy magnum" loads is yours, and yours alone. The other great thing is, no matter what load you choose, in most cases you will be shooting with some of the premier handguns ever made.
Originally Posted by dla

It is infinitely better use lighter loads to learn the basics and familiarize with the weapon than start with all the smoke, fire & jello and thus learn little but how to flinch with real distinction.
Originally Posted by lastround
Yep, 8.0 to 8.5 grains of Unique in magnum brass will push a 240/250 gr. bullet to 900 to 950 fps. depending on barrel length and whether or not a jacketed or cast bullet is used. This is a very comfortable load to shoot.

Yep. I have been using 8.5 grains of Unique behind a 245 grains cast bullet for years, both in my Ruger S.B.H and S&W 29. Easy on the wrist and hits plenty hard on targets.

L.W.
Posted By: Gibby Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/10/14
The new Unique seems to burn a little cleaner than the original.

Fantastic powder.
Where can I get load data for hard cast bullets?

Is lyman the better one for hard cast?

Seems like hodgdon, speer, etc are mostly for soft cast lead.

Also, are there any potential issues using hard cast at low/modest velocity?

For example, read don't push soft cast lead bullets over 1,000 fps.

What about the reverse, hard cast as under 1,000 fps?

Thanks for all the help!

Leo
I cast my own bullets, usually not too hard. Mostly wheelweights with a little tin added for about an 11 or 12 BHN. The more important thing with cast bullets is that their sizing be correct for your barrel and cylinder throats. You want your cast bullets, after leaving the case and the cylinder throats, to match or be about .001" larger than your barrel measures.

As far as reloading data, the Speer manual has a little; the Lyman manual has more. The info you have received on this thread is mostly spot on. If you decide that cast bullets are what you want to shoot (recommend same), then I would suggest also spending some time on the bullet casting section in the reloading portion here on the Campfire. Lots of good info there.
I don't have a unique answer, but my answer is Unique.....

Posted By: Gibby Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/11/14
Where can I get load data for hard cast bullets?

Is lyman the better one for hard cast?

Seems like hodgdon, speer, etc are mostly for soft cast lead.

Also, are there any potential issues using hard cast at low/modest velocity?

For example, read don't push soft cast lead bullets over 1,000 fps.

What about the reverse, hard cast as under 1,000 fps?

Thanks for all the help!

Leo

I am a computer illiterate, so I do not know how to post a link. Google-

"From Ingot To Target "

by Glen E Fryxell and Robert L Applegate

Add to your favorites.
Posted By: Pittu Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/11/14
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf

Gibbs is right, Great book.

Another good link

http://www.lasc.us/fryxell44overweight.htm

Here is a great resource for load data on the 44

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=44+Magnum&Weight=All&type=Handgun

Posted By: Gibby Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/11/14
Thanks Pittu
Also get the Lyman Manual, far more cast bullet data than any other source I know of.
Thank you to Gibby, Pittu, and Son_of_the_Gael!
I was google some info 44mag handguns and found an interesting comment regarding them that I'd like your comments and feed back.

The person said that "if you needed a 44mag or larger handgun for a situation you should be carrying a rifle".
Everyone is welcome to his own opinion, but I'll disagree. A handgun, even a large one, is convenient and easy enough to keep with you while you are doing any of a multitude of other things (fishing, hiking, building fence, quail hunting, etc). A rifle is something you usually leave behind unless you are specifically expecting to use it.
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Everyone is welcome to his own opinion, but I'll disagree. A handgun, even a large one, is convenient and easy enough to keep with you while you are doing any of a multitude of other things (fishing, hiking, building fence, quail hunting, etc). A rifle is something you usually leave behind unless you are specifically expecting to use it.

For tasks such as that, I have my 4.62" SBH, and a Diamond D Custom leather "Guide's Choice" holster.

I have long since learned not to carry a heavy revolver on my belt, and though the 4.62" is not *heavy*, it ain't light.
Posted By: dla Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/14/14

It is infinitely better use lighter loads to learn the basics and familiarize with the weapon than start with all the smoke, fire & jello and thus learn little but how to flinch with real distinction.

I disagree. Why in the world would you want to carry around a chunk of steel sized for 44 mag when you really want to shoot 45acp power-level? That is flat stupid.

Better to just drop this macho notion of "44 mag" and buy something more appropriate - like a 1911, or a K-frame revolver, etc.

I don't think you read what I actually wrote. New shooters are poorly served by starting with all the recoil and muzzle blast of a big magnum, that is something to work up to. I have lost track of the number of people I have started shooting using my SBH and reduced loads. Why? Because it is so very easy to shoot and hit the target with. They move up to any of a dozen other handguns, but for starters mine is a good choice.
Posted By: dla Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/14/14
I don't think you read what I actually wrote. New shooters are poorly served by starting with all the recoil and muzzle blast of a big magnum, that is something to work up to. I have lost track of the number of people I have started shooting using my SBH and reduced loads. Why? Because it is so very easy to shoot and hit the target with. They move up to any of a dozen other handguns, but for starters mine is a good choice.

Once again, that makes no sense.

What are you trying to teach these "new shooters"? How to pull a trigger? How to handle an SBH?

Start your new shooters out on a 22lr. Move them up when they are ready. I've had great success training new shooters on a 22lr semi-auto pistol first, and then moving them to a full-size 1911 - they like an autoloading pistol - just more fun.

Now if the only handgun you own is an SBH, that's different story( But then that makes me wonder why the heck a new shooter would go out and buy a 44 mag in the first place). If you only own one handgun, and for some reason it is a 44 mag, and you're into reloading, then I can see the desire to craft some different loads.

But I personally carry a 45acp when I want 44 mag "240gr@800fps" power-level. But then I've got more than one handgun smile
Ah, I understand now, you want to pick a fight on the internet. I'm not interested. Try with Bricktop or Big Stick.

Have a nice day.
"if you needed a 44mag or larger handgun for a situation you should be carrying a rifle".

That's an idiotic statement.

Travis
leo,

Don't let the casting looneys wrap you up too early. Lyman #2 and 9.0gr's of Unique coves a whoooole lot of ground. grin

Travis

The .44 Magnum is an extremely versatile cartridge. With just two powders, such as Unique and H110, and only using Magnum cases, you can cover the whole range of loads, from very mild target/small game loads, to those capable of taking anything that walks this or other continents. That is one of its major appeals.

It is not a "one trick pony" as the narrow minded might have people believe. Logistically this is a bonus as well.

With 8.5 grains Unique it is a great small game round:

[Linked Image]

10 Grains Unique for medium game:

[Linked Image]

And heavy doses of H110 with heavy hard cast bullets for big game:

[Linked Image]

Exactly!
Posted By: jds44 Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/15/14
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

And heavy doses of H110 with heavy hard cast bullets for big game:

[Linked Image]

Very nice! I'd love to hear the details and story on that one.
Posted By: Gibby Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/15/14
As much as I like the 1911 (my favorite). They weight 39-41 ounce's. The 629 Mountain weighs in at 39 ounce's. Just saying.

Go with the .460 Rowland and you have everything. The Rowland is a hell of a lot more controllable than my Mountain Gun for rapid fire. Just as powerful with more rounds.
Posted By: HawkI Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/15/14
Originally Posted by dla

I disagree. Why in the world would you want to carry around a chunk of steel sized for 44 mag when you really want to shoot 45acp power-level? That is flat stupid.

Better to just drop this macho notion of "44 mag" and buy something more appropriate - like a 1911, or a K-frame revolver, etc.

That's funny....it's like saying a 38/44, M24, M27, M28, and the 1950-55 targets are all flat stupid, which none are.
Unless we are talking certain prices....
Lots of good info and advice! Thank you everyone! Should have the last bit of reloading components wrapped up fairly soon. The expense was a bit more than anticipated but I'm looking forward to my first reloading session.

My only reservation is the shortage of pistol gun powder, especially unique.

Wanted to start off reloading with pistol cartridges due to fact that I have access to range. Rifle ranges are bit more difficult to come by here.
Leo,
If you load 8.0 gr. of Unique behind a 240 gr. or so bullet, you'll get 875 rounds to play with. Unless you do a lot of shooting, that's gonna last a little while. Maybe more Unique or one of the other powders mentioned here will show up by then......
there is some good advice on here, some not so good. I have quite a few of the big bore revolvers. Some capable of "rock your boat" performance. I find very little need for that most of the time:
Isn't as pleasant to shoot
costs more
and for the majority of things isn't really needed.
My opinion only, but there are very few things that a 250 to 300grain whatever at about 1000fps won't take care of.
Lets see, isn't that kind of describing the .45colt since the 1800's.
I don't have a problem with recoil, or shooting the heavy stuff, just don't find in the majority of cases any need to do so.
I also remember reading somewhere that you should use .44special loads in .44special brass. Not in .44magnum brass. If loading .44magnum brass use the load data for that casing. I haven't always followed that in the past, and still have both hands, but I do now.
I don't hardly shoot anything other than my own cast bullets. And size diameter to bore is a lot more important than soft cast or hard cast. Wheelweights up to that 1000fps level properly sized to the gun and you will have no leading issues. I might add leading isn't a particular problem if you are aware of it and know how to clean the gun properly.
as lastround mentioned, 8 grains of Unique pushing a 240 grain LSWC, has been my favorite .44 Mag round for probably 30 years now.
I have boxes and boxes of them loaded and stacked up in the ammo locker. I probably shoot more of this load than any other.
Posted By: EdM Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/16/14
These threads always go comical...
Posted By: dla Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/16/14
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by dla

That's funny....it's like saying a 38/44, M24, M27, M28, and the 1950-55 targets are all flat stupid, which none are.
Unless we are talking certain prices....

Buying a 44 mag and then shooting it as a 45acp is silly. Guys who do that simply want to brag that they have a 44 mag even though they are too wussy to use it as such. The fact that they bought it and then downloaded it is proof that they made a purchase mistake in the first place.

If you want a lesser power cartridge then buy the appropriate firearm.
Posted By: HawkI Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/16/14
That makes sense.

I'm eating nothing but triple cheeseburgers, everytime, all the time....

Less wear on the gun, less component cost, familiarity with the same gun, power on reserve aren't bad things.

Makes more sense to some people (who aren't handgun junkies) to cover a lot of ground with one gun.

Besides, everyone knows there are few reasons to shoot nothing but full power 44 loads. Getting jacketed hollowpoints to work right, shooting very large animals, long range, silhouette, or just because you want to all come to mind.

Some guys simply want to brag/argue about how they have a handgun for every 100 fps. and 10 grs. of bullet...Go figure.
thats silly. Some of us just don't have the funds or desire to buy a handgun so they can say they have one of every cartridge, for every color, or every variation.
As long as it is my money that buys my handguns, it is my choice how I load and shoot those handguns. Not interested in opinions of those who are internet trolling for an argument. Have a nice day.
Posted By: dla Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/16/14
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
thats silly. Some of us just don't have the funds or desire to buy a handgun so they can say they have one of every cartridge, for every color, or every variation.

So you're gonna run out and buy 500S&W and then download it to 38spl-level?
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

So you're gonna run out and buy 500S&W and then download it to 38spl-level?

well in a way, i kinda just did that. I bought a redhawk in .45colt purposely for the ability to load hot .45colt loads in it that i didn't want to beat up some of the others with. Now most likely 99% of the stuff fired in it will be the 270grain rcbs slug with about 8 1/2grains of unique.
Infuriating isn't it?
I believe to take advantage of the 44mag's versatility one needs to be handloader/reloader. Otherwise, I'd give the nod to the 357mag if one had to chose factory ammo.

Revolvers seem to be a little more flexible in their power level and bullet choices compare to semi-auto pistols.
If I could only have one revolver it'd be an N-Frame 44 mag. They do everything well with the exception being carrying concealed.

If you don't reload, buy a bunch of Specials.

Travis
For several years the only handgun I owned was my SBH .44, college, marriage, buying a home, kids all were more pressing than amassing a collection of handguns. Redhawks hadn't been invented, 29's were very hard to find & were 4 times as much, the Ruger was an obvious choice for me. While in college I had an RCBS Jr press in my dorm room & the dorm director kept the Ruger, I managed to shoot every week, a lot with Special level loads and learned to shoot rather well. A couple of times I thought I might have to use it for serious business, it didn't come down to that, but I was quite confident my 1000 fps SWC's would have worked just fine. If I had it to do all over I'd do it exactly the same. The .44 Magnum is indeed a most versatile cartridge.
Posted By: GF1 Re: 44 magnum reloading question - 09/22/14
My best accuracy out of several S&W Model 29s has been with a stout load of 2400. This powder burns easily, doesn't require a magnum primer, but works best at real maximum velocities. 240-50 gr hard cast bullets like 20 grains or a bit more 2400; much less will push a bullet, but not so accurately in my experience.

I wore out a Model 29-2 in the late '70s with Keith's load of 22/2400 and a hard cast 429421 bullet. It was astoundingly accurate to about 15,000 rounds, then went pretty sour. That load is way too hot with the modern version of 2400, such that this is about 10% or so over max today.

I then got my first Model 57, sold the M29s, never looked back...but that is another story.
Originally Posted by dla

Buying a 44 mag and then shooting it as a 45acp is silly. Guys who do that simply want to brag that they have a 44 mag even though they are too wussy to use it as such. The fact that they bought it and then downloaded it is proof that they made a purchase mistake in the first place.

If you want a lesser power cartridge then buy the appropriate firearm.

Do you get in your car and put the gas pedal to the floor every time?

If not, is it because you are "too wussy" to drive it as fast as it will go?

Having a 44 gives you the OPTION of loading it up or down to suit any purpose you like

The talk about being "too wussy" says more about YOU and your maturity (or lack therof) than about those who know what gun they want, and what loads they want to use at any given time.
Thank you everyone who's replied!

I've tumbled my first 100 pieces of 44mag brass. I saved the brass from the Winchester white box that I bought.

I left the primers in for tumble. BTW, they didn't come really clean after two hours or tumbling.

Should I have left them in longer? I'm going to deprime them this weekend.

Pick up some rifle powder at my LGS and ask the guy about reloading hardcast bullet and he said just use load data for the jacketed bullets. Which sounds about right from what I heard here, about 9 to 10 grains of Unique.

I've got some 45acp brass tumbling now and some 223rem lake city once fired brass after that.
the .44 Mag is so damn versatile, there are millions of loads out there....just go to HOdgdon Data Center, Accurate, Alliant etc, and have at it!
In regards to leaving them in longer, you can certainly get them shinier, but just for reloading purposes, I would not sweat it.

Size
Deprime
Reprime
Powder
Seat a cast bullet
Crimp

Smile.
Except for round ball loads, which were mediocre for me, it's easy to get a .44 to shoot well, with a variety of loads - mild to wild.
© 24hourcampfire