Home
Posted By: Reloder28 Bobbed 1911's - 09/17/14
I have now seen so many 1911's with bobbed grip frames. Is it possible to have that work done after the fact? Or, do I have to buy a new one? I'd like mine done as it pokes out noticeably given my body shape.
Posted By: derby_dude Re: Bobbed 1911's - 09/17/14
I'm not sure but I think you would need a new frame.
Posted By: JOG Re: Bobbed 1911's - 09/17/14
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Is it possible to have that work done after the fact?

Yes. You end up with a cut frame and a bobtail mainspring housing. Ed Brown sells the parts and the jig needed.

Posted By: Mink Re: Bobbed 1911's - 09/20/14
^^^^^ this
Posted By: Jamie Re: Bobbed 1911's - 09/21/14
Once done it cant be undone so be sure its what you want.
I think a bobtail looks good but after shooting a few bobtail 1911's,they don't feel right in my hand
Posted By: Spike12 Re: Bobbed 1911's - 09/24/14
I guess with enough time, money and a hack saw anything is possible. But with the value reduction of your original 1911 I'm not sure I'd advise it. That's a serious hack job and I doubt your 1911 would worth much after you got done.

I have a S&W, Series 'E', 1911SC, which is a commander size, Scandium frame, bobbed grip, 8+1. I also have large hands so when I grip it I do notice the difference. Having that rounded edge and the contact it affords me vs. that sharp corner digging into my hand's heel is REALLY nice. Nice enough that after testing it is now my EDC.

As a side note I have the Series E 1911TA (full size) too.
Posted By: Domhnall Re: Bobbed 1911's - 09/24/14
Another option would be to go with one of the Officer's size pistols. Most have 3 inch barrels but Kimber makes a couple of models with 4 inch bbls on the Officer's frame. So do a couple of the high end companies like Wilson and Nighthawk. You lose one round magazine capacity of course.
© 24hourcampfire