Home
Posted By: gunchamp Kahr arms - 10/21/14
Just wanted to share an experience I had with those fellas over at kahr. Had a cm40. Gun has stopped working after less than 200 rounds. Called kahr and asked them to repair it. Was told the warranty is only good for 5 years and only to the original buyer. Questioned this as well as what was going on with the gun. When you pull the trigger, it delays and then fires. This could lead to a very dangerous situation. Politely explained this and was told too bad. They would charge me $65 an hour to diagnose then have to pay for whatever the problem is. Long story short, phuc kahr. Will never get a dime of my money again. With so many good guns out there with companies willing to stand by their product why buy one of those? Just wanted to share.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Kahr arms - 10/21/14
Well, let's be fair here, shall we?

Here's a pic of the Kahr warranty:

[Linked Image]

Note paragraph 2 that begins with "KAHR ARMS".

ARE you the original owner?
HAS it been more than five years since the pistol was sold?
DID you read the manual booklet - and last page (depicted above) that came with the pistol that spells out in easily understood terms exactly what the warranty is on their handguns?

If not - then it appears your displeasure is misplaced..
Posted By: paul105 Re: Kahr arms - 10/21/14
I can understand your frustration at Kahr's response, you'd think they would be a bit more helpful diagnosing the problem. With that said, I'm a Kahr fan and found the kahrtalk forum to be extremely helpful.

You might try #2 in the following link paying particular attention to "blowing out" the striker channel.

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?1521-Proper-prep-of-a-new-kahr

#2. Clean your new gun; don�t assume Kahr did it. They don't and there could be crud in places where it should not be. Take that slide off and look for the little hole in the bottom of the slide. That is your striker channel clean out hole. Insert your spray cleaner nozzle in there and spray away. Fluids will come out both ends.

Now, with one finger, pull back on the striker at the back of the slide and continue to spray in that hole and also spray clean from that breech hole also. You have now cleaned that striker channel without disassembly. DO NOT OIL THE STRIKER CHANNEL. Refer to the Kahr Tech section. Look for the sticky marked KAHR LUBE DIAGRAM. Point #9 shows the clean out hole and this is the best lube chart for any semi auto to.

Hope this helps!

Paul
Posted By: deflave Re: Kahr arms - 10/21/14
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Just wanted to share an experience I had with those fellas over at kahr. Had a cm40. Gun has stopped working after less than 200 rounds. Called kahr and asked them to repair it. Was told the warranty is only good for 5 years and only to the original buyer. Questioned this as well as what was going on with the gun. When you pull the trigger, it delays and then fires. This could lead to a very dangerous situation. Politely explained this and was told too bad. They would charge me $65 an hour to diagnose then have to pay for whatever the problem is. Long story short, phuc kahr. Will never get a dime of my money again. With so many good guns out there with companies willing to stand by their product why buy one of those? Just wanted to share.

That would lead me to fix the pistol, sell it, and never look back.

Travis
Posted By: RJM Re: Kahr arms - 10/21/14
http://www.colt.com/CustomerServices/RepairRefinish/LimitedLifetimeService.aspx

http://smith-wessonforum.com/lounge/172130-smith-wesson-warranty.html
Posted By: Redneck Re: Kahr arms - 10/21/14
http://www.kimberamerica.com/warranty (one year)

I know many manufacturers have supposed 'lifetime' warranties. Some are valid - others, not so much.. And a few of 'em NEED lifetime warranties or nobody'd buy 'em..

In the OP's case above - the manufacturer states very clearly what the warranty is. They're following it.. 'Nuff said..

Posted By: 41magfan Re: Kahr arms - 10/21/14
If you otherwise like the pistol, I'd send it back. If the gun really has been fired only 200 times, it's certainly not a "wear & tear" issue and any defective parts/components they find will likely be fixed on their dime.

Once you've returned it to the factory one time, you then have them on the hook to stand behind their work if it doesn't work reliably.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Kahr arms - 10/21/14
A delay in firing can be something as simple as gummed up oil in the firing pin channel. Clean the hell out of it, make sure to pull the firing pin out, clean and inspect, and give it another try.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Kahr arms - 10/21/14
Ok guys, I have detail stripped this pistol and tried everything. This gun has an issue, one that if you didn't know could cause an injury or fatality. Even kimber states a 1 year warranty but has sure as phuc fixed the guns I have owned that failed. This company will not ever get my business again. Kahr is a joke. Say what you want Redneck but this is the kind of stuff that's put these companies into the ground. Put out a subpar product and don't stand behind it. Guess there is a reason I run quality 1911's, smith's and glocks.
Originally Posted by deflave

That would lead me to fix the pistol, sell it, and never look back.

Travis
Yup, going to happen as soon as it running correctly
To the others thank you for the help.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Kahr arms - 10/21/14
Can't blame you for that reaction. I guess mine was sent to them in under five years, because when I had a part breakage, they fixed it pronto, and sent it right back (with an upgraded part, which was by them being made out of steel instead of the original polymer), no charge.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Kahr arms - 10/21/14
Kahr Arms used to be owned by the son of Rev. Moon. Ya know, like the Moonies, that you used to see at the Airports wearing white sheets. Rev. Moon couldn't own the Company because he was a convicted Felon.

Don't know if they still own the company or not.
Posted By: squesh Re: Kahr arms - 10/22/14
When
When Sig came out with a .22lr conversion unit for their P938, the kahr CM's went byebye and I bought 3 P938's. :-) I"ve got 200k rds thru SA autos, and a million (literally) drysnaps with same. I went DAO in order to get a pocket 9, and the minute I could do so, I swapped back to cocked and locked (pocket carry) I now have about 2x the effective range that I had while fighting the DA trigger pull! :-) which is to say, 20ft instead of 10 ft. (real fast).
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Kahr arms - 10/22/14
Originally Posted by squesh
When Sig came out with a .22lr conversion unit for their P938, the kahr CM's went byebye and I bought 3 P938's. :-) I"ve got 200k rds thru SA autos, and a million (literally) drysnaps with same. I went DAO in order to get a pocket 9, and the minute I could do so, I swapped back to cocked and locked (pocket carry) I now have about 2x the effective range that I had while fighting the DA trigger pull! :-) which is to say, 20ft instead of 10 ft. (real fast).
Hickok45 seems to like it OK.

have you seen him review anything that he said was a pos? but we know that quite a few new guns ARE such, eh? :-)
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Kahr arms - 10/22/14
have you seen him review anything that he said was a pos? but we know that quite a few new guns ARE such, eh? :-)
If he has failures, he shows them. He doesn't edit them out. I've seen him review guns that have had failures. He doesn't immediately call it a pos when that happens, because he knows that a sample of one often doesn't tell you much about the model in general.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Kahr arms - 10/22/14
Ok guys, I have detail stripped this pistol and tried everything. This gun has an issue, one that if you didn't know could cause an injury or fatality. Even kimber states a 1 year warranty but has sure as phuc fixed the guns I have owned that failed. This company will not ever get my business again. Kahr is a joke. Say what you want Redneck but this is the kind of stuff that's put these companies into the ground. Put out a subpar product and don't stand behind it. Guess there is a reason I run quality 1911's, smith's and glocks.
I understand a bit of your frustration - I was just pointing out the other side.

Actually, Kahr puts out a very good product. But ANY manufacturer can have a turd leave the bowl once in a while. They spell out their warranty in exact terms - yet you're upset that they follow it?

If you buy a new truck with a 3/36 warranty and then have an issue 4+ years later - do you pay for the repair or do you complain that 'they don't stand behind their product'? (serious question - by no means any flame intended)

If this little gun's not working correctly and you don't want to pay to have it fixed, I'm curious then - who will you be selling a defective (and possibly injurious) firearm to? Or are you going to pay to have it fixed and then sell?

Again, just asking to see where you're headed on this.. With a detail strip - did you find what the issue was? Have any clue as to what exactly is not functioning correctly? Some burr hanging up the sear or similar?? (curious minds wanna know)

In any case - best wishes going forward... smile

Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Kahr arms - 10/22/14
When Sig came out with a .22lr conversion unit for their P938, the kahr CM's went byebye and I bought 3 P938's. :-) . . . I went DAO in order to get a pocket 9, and the minute I could do so, I swapped back to cocked and locked (pocket carry) . . .

Are you the same person who started this thread on October 19? think Sig will offer the P938 in .40?

Why would you buy 3 marginal guns for pocket carry?
Posted By: supercrewd Re: Kahr arms - 10/22/14
I am with Redneck.
Posted By: jerrywoodswalker Re: Kahr arms - 10/22/14
"Kahr Arms used to be owned by the son of Rev. Moon. Ya know, like the Moonies, that you used to see at the Airports wearing white sheets. Rev. Moon couldn't own the Company because he was a convicted Felon.

Don't know if they still own the company or not."

Don't know about the accuracy of the rest of your statement; But it was the Hari Krishna's (sp?) that used to hang out in airports.

I've read that his father was the 'reverend' Moon, but that he has distanced himself from his father's 'religion'. I say read as I have better things to do than look into such non sense... it'd be a full time job considering the state of the world.

Back to guns... I've got a couple of Kahr's and like them, no issues, light weight, smooth trigger and accurate (way beyond what I expect from a tiny pistol!).

I'm kind of with you on the warranty... why I am so impressed with Ruger these day's. But, try calling Colt and telling them the older 1911 that you bought used is having problems... will they send you a call tag for shipping and repair it for free! Then try it with S&W, etc. Good luck!

Jerry
Posted By: supercrewd Re: Kahr arms - 10/22/14
Wikipedia lists "the Rev" as having 16 children. I am pretty sure a conservative christian will raise a few gun lovers out of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Myung_Moon

Wiki on Kahr arms:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahr_Arms
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Kahr arms - 10/22/14
Originally Posted by Redneck

If you buy a new truck with a 3/36 warranty and then have an issue 4+ years later - do you pay for the repair or do you complain that 'they don't stand behind their product'? (serious question - by no means any flame intended)

I haven't needed to use any firearm warranty to date, and don't know what I'd do if I had reliability/safety issue like the one mentioned in the OP... but like in your example, I wouldn't be inclined to go to the manufacturer first.

Couple reasons for that... first, I'm not going to hold a gunmaker responsible outside of the terms of the warranty. That's just silly. Second, I like to support my local gunsmith, so I'll have him look at it first before I talk to the manufacturer. If my local smith can't fix it, and he says it looks like a defect in manufacture, I'll get on the phone to the manufacturer. But so far I've had few gun problems that my local smith couldn't set to rights in short order.

I've had a number of Kahr pistols since they came out with the original K9 back in the 90's, and all have performed in stellar fashion. I'd go so far as to say that Kahr pistols are as reliable as any other gun out there. I'm down to just one Kahr right now, but am looking at getting a couple more in the near future and am confident they'll work as well as the ones I've had in the past.
Posted By: Dan_Chamberlain Re: Kahr arms - 10/22/14
I've only owned one Kahr, a CW-9. From that experience, I'd bet I've "sold" several Kahr CW-9s for a local dealer just by recommending the gun and dealer to friends and family. It's the 2nd most accurate 9mm pistol I've fired and I've fired a few in the last 40 years. Nary a stutter. Feeds everything from semi-wadcutters to hollow point defensive ammo.

But, like everything else, I suppose I could break it.
Posted By: 41magfan Re: Kahr arms - 10/22/14
For what they cost, they should perform better than their reputation belies.

My experience with them involves over half a dozen pistols and the reliability was totally "hit or miss". I can't complain about their CS though, because they paid to have guns shipped back to them seven (7) times! One even had to have a new frame and it still wasn't 100%.

That's a shame too because several of their pistols - like the PM9 and CW45 - fill a niche in the market like no other gun out there IMO.

They're more than accurate enough for such a small platform and the triggers are unbelievably smooth. I was ringing steel with a buddy's CW45 last week at 90 yards until it got a bit boring.

If you have a good one, hold on to it. If you have one with issues, send it back as many times as they'll pay for it and/or try another one.

The PM9 I have now was bought slightly used for exactly half of msrp and it shoots like a house on fire. For me, that's the way to test the waters without getting in too deep money wise.
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: Kahr arms - 10/22/14
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
I've only owned one Kahr, a CW-9. From that experience, I'd bet I've "sold" several Kahr CW-9s for a local dealer just by recommending the gun and dealer to friends and family. It's the 2nd most accurate 9mm pistol I've fired and I've fired a few in the last 40 years. Nary a stutter. Feeds everything from semi-wadcutters to hollow point defensive ammo.

But, like everything else, I suppose I could break it.

Like you, I guess I have been lucky. I have 2 CW9's and a P-380 and all three have run without a hitch. I cant believe how good the P-380 shoots.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Kahr arms - 10/22/14
Originally Posted by Redneck
I understand a bit of your frustration - I was just pointing out the other side.

Actually, Kahr puts out a very good product. But ANY manufacturer can have a turd leave the bowl once in a while. They spell out their warranty in exact terms - yet you're upset that they follow it?

If this little gun's not working correctly and you don't want to pay to have it fixed, I'm curious then - who will you be selling a defective (and possibly injurious) firearm to? Or are you going to pay to have it fixed and then sell?

Again, just asking to see where you're headed on this.. With a detail strip - did you find what the issue was? Have any clue as to what exactly is not functioning correctly? Some burr hanging up the sear or similar?? (curious minds wanna know)

In any case - best wishes going forward... smile

Problem is pretty much every manufacturer stands behind their product as long as it wasn't something the owner did to cause the malfunction, which I did not. Good thing is I'm pretty handy with firearms so I will fix this myself. You don't know me so I'll give you a pass on the selling a dangerous firearm thing. I would never do such a thing and the many who know me on here know that. Its just funny when I go to the Kahr forum and everyone is preaching that Kahr will stand behind their guns no matter what. Purpose of this post was to point out that they will not. There are much better guns out there and better companies building them. Up to you guys to make your own decisions. I know mine has been made!
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Kahr arms - 10/22/14
I guess what angers me the most is this gun will kill someone if they werent aware of the situation. This particular gun is less than 2 years old but on its second owner. I understand its stated but still. I bought a 500 smith once, I was the 4th owner. The cylinder locked up and the crane was damaged. I sent the gun back and had it back in a week with everything replaced for free. I bought a kimber super match used and it broke the first time it went to the range. Kimber took the gun back and fixed it for free. I have more examples of this and this is the first time that a gun company treated me the way they did with absolutely no care for the potential danger this gun has.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Kahr arms - 10/23/14
My Kahr experience in a short version is cw 45 POS lots of problems , later a cw 40 gun was fully functional and no problems shoot plenty good. I just cant deal with their triggers.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Kahr arms - 10/23/14
That's bullchit Gunchamp! kahr should have made it right, I dont happen to own a car and now I never will...........Hb
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Kahr arms - 10/28/14
My Kahrs look like jewelry compared to my Kel-Tecs, but the ugly Kel-tecs are more reliable.
Posted By: Sightfisher Re: Kahr arms - 10/29/14
I've bought and sold a lot of used guns and I haven't had any problems that stick out in my mind.

I've owned three Kahrs, still own two, and am the original owner of one of them. Only had one dealing with Kahr customer service and it was handled perfectly.

When you say in your post that you "bought a 500 smith once, I was the 4th owner. The cylinder locked up and the crane was damaged. I sent the gun back and had it back in a week with everything replaced for free"......you had to know it was broken when you bought it. Then you say you have more examples of this.

Are you buying these used guns, knowing that they have a problem...then hoping to have the company warranty sort them out? Or are you paying full price for a gun that is supposed to be working fine and you are getting ripped off by some pos seller?

If this is the latter, why not take your anger out on the guy that sold that sold you these lemons?
© 24hourcampfire