Home
Posted By: 101857 Contender groups - 10/24/14
Just wondering what kind of groups I might get with factory Remington 150 grain core lokt ammo shooting a 14" 30/30 contender . Planning to load fired brass after I accumulate about 100 cases . Maybe some of you guys can give some info on this . My trigger is about 28 oz & over travel is .015 . If this is not good I want to know . The 4x scope is just a lower priced model , but seams ok for now . Thanks .
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Contender groups - 10/24/14
My experience with the Contender and other single-shot rifle-caliber pistols is that they generally are limited only by the shooter's abilities. It really is nothing more or less than a very short rifle. The barrels tend to be as accurate as a rifle, or better than some - but with a small loss of velocity (~30-50 fps per inch...ish). The trick is learning to hold it steady with a consistent sight alignment and trigger squeeze.
Posted By: Dan_Chamberlain Re: Contender groups - 10/24/14
My .375 Winchester - just a blown out .30-30 - will shoot into 1.5 inches at 100 yards off a make-shift rest of just the forearm. Off hand, I can only do about 4" but that's still deer hunting accuracy. I don't doubt that if I were to fully support the gun and really try, she'd shoot into an inch.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Contender groups - 10/24/14
Some contender barrels are good, some are lousy. I've seen a couple that were poor. If you already bought the barrel, try it and seem what happens. If it doesn't shoot decent with factory ammo then it may be time to get an MGM or Bullberry.
Posted By: deflave Re: Contender groups - 10/24/14
I've shot a fair amount of Contender barrels in the pistol configuration and I can't recall any that were not accurate as fugg.

I'd say 1 1/2" @ 100yds should be pretty easy.

Travis
Posted By: PastorDan Re: Contender groups - 10/24/14
Originally Posted by deflave
I've shot a fair amount of Contender barrels in the pistol configuration and I can't recall any that were not accurate as fugg.

I'd say 1 1/2" @ 100yds should be pretty easy.

Exactly.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Contender groups - 10/24/14
i have three or four barrels, and they are all accurate too. have a deceased friend that had a 7.08 barrel, use to shoot dimes at 100yards.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Contender groups - 10/25/14
My T/C Super 14 30/30 is very accurate. I am the limiting factor. I have a 2x scope on mine and I have an oversized hinge pin.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Contender groups - 10/25/14
Factory ammo is the wild card, but I'd expect three shot groups in the 1 1/2" to 2" range. With handloads you ought to be able to get at or under moa.

After market barrels aren't a guranteed way to get top accuracy. I had bullberry make me a 218 mashburn and I've never had to work so hard to get a barrel to shoot moa. But when I finally found the load it liked, I could shoot a box of ammo at the permanently installed 150yd turkey sillouette's head and never miss.
Posted By: Steve_in_PA Re: Contender groups - 10/25/14
Not sure about a .30/30, but I have a 14" .223 and a 14" 7-30 Waters that are sub-MOA at 100 yards.

This is a 10-round group, fired at 100 yards using a rest and my T/C Contender chambered in 7-30 Waters.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JSH Re: Contender groups - 10/25/14
My factory 30-30 Contender barrel would do 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards regularly. This with a solid rest.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Contender groups - 10/25/14
My hornet barrel and my 45-70 barrel would out preform most off the shelf rifles but I had a 223 barrel and a 7 TCU barrel that were crap.
Posted By: bfrshooter Re: Contender groups - 10/26/14
30-30 TC, 10" [Linked Image]with cast at 100 yards, scoped from a rest of course.
Friend has a 7 TCU that will do this also. But he uses jacketed bullets. Then my single shots at 100 and 200 yards. The one group from the MOA is 3/8" at 100 yards. Yes, they can out shoot a rifle. [Linked Image]
I loved the TC but the thing hurt my large middle finger, hate the grip. Even a Pachmayr did not solve it. I made the lever for the MOA because it was not kind either.
© 24hourcampfire