Home
Posted By: Chappy410 Sight in Range? - 10/25/14
Today, a friend and I were having a conversation about what is the range most people sight their concealed carry weapon in at.
He felt most sight their CCW in at 25 to 50 yards.
I felt that it would range from 7 to 15 yards. We couldn't come to an agreement and I said I would post here and see what others had to say. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: MichiganScott Re: Sight in Range? - 10/25/14
Since most concealed carry pistols have fixed sights, the sight-in distance really doesn't matter. It's more about finding ammunition that hits to point of aim.

FWIW, POI vs. POA for 7 to 25 yards is close enough not to matter. If it's right on at 25 it will be a smidge low at 7 once you have found the ammo that hits to your sights. This isn't target work.
Posted By: 41magfan Re: Sight in Range? - 10/25/14
None of the common handgun cartridges will drop more than an inch or two out to 50 yards which is well within the "wobble zone" of even a good shooter. When you factor in the mechanical capabilities of the gun, aiming for anything but POA/POI is pretty much a wash.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Sight in Range? - 10/25/14
I spend most of my time at 25 yards with concealed carry.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Sight in Range? - 10/25/14

I would not sight in at less than 25 yards.
Posted By: wildhobbybobby Re: Sight in Range? - 10/25/14
I have always sighted my defensive handguns that have adjustable sights for 50 yards. That makes me pretty dangerous from 0 to 100 without any Kentucky elevation.
Posted By: RJM Re: Sight in Range? - 10/25/14
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I have always sighted my defensive handguns that have adjustable sights for 50 yards. That makes me pretty dangerous from 0 to 100 without any Kentucky elevation.

Same here....with the .38 Super sighted in at 50, it is about 2" high at 25 and 6" low at 100...

Bob
Posted By: squesh Re: Sight in Range? - 10/25/14
I'd never pick ammo based upon it hitting where the sights are aimed. :-) I'll move the sights, one way or the other, tig welding and filing them if I must! I want high performance ammo, not some coast along cludge of a bullet (which is what the factories set up the sights for)
Posted By: squesh Re: Sight in Range? - 10/25/14
When you are being shot-at, you will miss the 10" chest circle over half of the time at a mere 10 yds, but I test ammo on animals, so the carry gun has to be capable of hunting accuracy. I zero at 50ft, and would not fire at animals beyond about 30 yds, because the pocket gun (and high performance ammo) won't group better than 4" or so at that distance, under field conditions (ie, standing, unsupported, normally in a bit of a hurry).
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Sight in Range? - 10/25/14
I zero my hunting handguns for 75 yards and then limit myself to 50-60 tops for best-scenario field shots.

Midsize and fullsize service/carry guns (Glock 30 in my case) get zeroed on the head of a B27 at 50 yards.

Pissant guns, like my LCP, get shot until I can confidently keep 95% of my shots in the 8 ring of a B27 at 25 yards.
Posted By: supercrewd Re: Sight in Range? - 10/25/14
I am lucky if I can see 25 yards anymore.
© 24hourcampfire