Home
Posted By: dvdegeorge .45 acp for Deer - 11/28/14
Yup it works very well!
Took a big doe with my Les Baer 1911 .45 and hand load(230gr Montana JHP over 8gr Silhouette) ,25 yd shot perfect placement and exit

Exit
[Linked Image]

Entrance
[Linked Image]
Posted By: j2dogs Re: .45 acp for Deer - 11/28/14
Great job!
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: .45 acp for Deer - 11/28/14
Yep they do work flawlessly,,Killed several over the years with my Colt and cast bullets..
Posted By: jwp475 Re: .45 acp for Deer - 11/28/14

Congratulations, well done.
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: .45 acp for Deer - 11/28/14
Nice shooting
Posted By: local_dirt Re: .45 acp for Deer - 11/28/14
Good job shooting, and great doe.
Posted By: derby_dude Re: .45 acp for Deer - 11/28/14
Nothing wrong hunting with a 1911 on the right game. Good shooting!
Posted By: Clarkm Re: .45 acp for Deer - 11/29/14
If I could get the doe tags like I could in 2012, I might try that.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: .45 acp for Deer - 11/29/14
Good job! It looks like that one took a snow nap.
Posted By: ingwe Re: .45 acp for Deer - 11/29/14
Talk about stunt shooting! grin
Posted By: FreeMe Re: .45 acp for Deer - 11/29/14
Originally Posted by ingwe
Talk about stunt shooting! grin

Yeah - the wrath of bfrshooter will soon be upon you. wink

Great shooting, George!
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: .45 acp for Deer - 11/30/14
Dan, you are my hero. Nice shooting!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: .45 acp for Deer - 11/30/14
Hell Yeah Dan, done the same thing at 16 yards with my 185 Barnes carry load on a little 7pt buck, hit him in the shoulder, he hunched up at the shot, wobbled off 35 yards and fell over.

Not a pass through though, he caught all of it, that is a very nice BIG doe, a lot of good eating right there.
Posted By: 35WhelenNut Re: .45 acp for Deer - 11/30/14
Good job man! Is it just me or does there seem to be more and more proof that it doesn't take a hand cannon to kill a deer?

No, it's not just You. grin
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: .45 acp for Deer - 11/30/14
I've killed quite a few feral hogs with the 45acp, using a 230gr WFN LBT Cast bullet. I've also killed a couple of Whitetails with the 230gr Remington Golden Saber JHP. Both bullets will kill deer graveyard dead at less than 50 yards, in my personal experiences.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: .45 acp for Deer - 11/30/14

And rabbits...

[Linked Image]
Damn right CHLI, dang Shrap, that was an eye opening experience. grin
Posted By: EdM Re: .45 acp for Deer - 11/30/14
Nice. Don't take much to kill a deer, eh?
Posted By: generalstuart Re: .45 acp for Deer - 11/30/14
Originally Posted by 35WhelenNut
Good job man! Is it just me or does there seem to be more and more proof that it doesn't take a hand cannon to kill a deer?

Hello 35WhelenNut
Too many Guy's are fixed on using Magnum Caliber's that are more Over Kill than anything else and the Older proven caliber's are forgot about. The .45 ACP is a fine caliber for Deer Hunting if used wisely. Shot Placement is King with any caliber but when using the .45 ACP it makes the challenge that Much More. Here is my test target shown with my .45 S&W wheel Gun. I Plan on Taking it with me this week afield and can Only Hope a deer comes within range for me to dump with it. It is Now wearing a very rare set of walter Roper custon shooting stock's made back in the Mid to late 1930's time span. Regards, The General

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: .45 acp for Deer - 11/30/14
Originally Posted by shrapnel

And rabbits...

[Linked Image]

I'll bet you didn't even have to shoot "solids" to penetrate that massive rabbit skull. Irrefutable proof that the 45 acp is "enough gun".

Nothing but head shots with these pistols. You don't need a one hole gun to shoot accurately. This gun is a Commercial model of around 1924 with original sights. Nothing fancy, it doesn't print tiny groups, but still enough for minute of Rabbit or minute of deer accuracy...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nothing but head shots with these pistols. You don't need a one hole gun to shoot accurately. This gun is a Commercial model of around 1924 with original sights. Nothing fancy, it doesn't print tiny groups, but still enough for minute of Rabbit or minute of deer accuracy...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hello Shrapenal
Nice Deer. The One Hole ragged result is the hand Loader perfection that I always' seem to strive for. I Can't help it I feel it is the Stubborn German Perfection in me that makes me strive for those kind of results and also because I CAN... L.O.L. The General
Posted By: rost495 Re: .45 acp for Deer - 11/30/14
I can say don't rely on penetration... I know better but had no choice.. only had a kimber ultra carry 3 inch following up a buddies wounded doe... found her bedded in thick south Texas brush.... but before I could locate the head she jumped... I dropped 4 quick rounds as she got up and left in a hurry.

Went to get a Catahoula... had to shoot her in the head a while later with the 45 once bayed.

All 4 of my previous rounds had hit her as she left, none had made it far enough past the hips/hinds to penetrate the organs.

I keep my mag staggered 230 ball and 230 whatever HP I happen to have around... I think these were WW but am not sure.

I've shot a couple broadside with no issues.
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: .45 acp for Deer - 11/30/14

And rabbits...

[Linked Image]

Out-Friggin-Standing!!!
Originally Posted by generalstuart

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hello Shrapenal
Nice Deer. The One Hole ragged result is the hand Loader perfection that I always' seem to strive for. I Can't help it I feel it is the Stubborn German Perfection in me that makes me strive for those kind of results and also because I CAN... L.O.L. The General

I don't have a one hole gun in either of my safes, rifles included. Trying for perfection is too hard on me. I only needed a 2 point to graduate from college, why overachieve and do any more than necessary.

I would certainly love to have a bunch of one-holers, but I don't. Not a criticism as much as an observation...
Posted By: jwp475 Re: .45 acp for Deer - 11/30/14
Originally Posted by rost495
I can say don't rely on penetration... I know better but had no choice.. only had a kimber ultra carry 3 inch following up a buddies wounded doe... found her bedded in thick south Texas brush.... but before I could locate the head she jumped... I dropped 4 quick rounds as she got up and left in a hurry.

Went to get a Catahoula... had to shoot her in the head a while later with the 45 once bayed.

All 4 of my previous rounds had hit her as she left, none had made it far enough past the hips/hinds to penetrate the organs.

I keep my mag staggered 230 ball and 230 whatever HP I happen to have around... I think these were WW but am not sure.

I've shot a couple broadside with no issues.

I have one of thoses Ultra Kimbers and mine barely breaks 700 FPS with +P 230's
The 4" Colt Officer model doesn't lose nearly as much velocity.
Posted By: derby_dude Re: .45 acp for Deer - 11/30/14
I don't have a one hole gun in either of my safes, rifles included. Trying for perfection is too hard on me. I only needed a 2 point to graduate from college, why overachieve and do any more than necessary.

I would certainly love to have a bunch of one-holers, but I don't. Not a criticism as much as an observation...

I know guys who have one holers, I have some, who, when it comes to hunting, can't hit the broadside of a barn standing in the barn. I'm one of those. Good shooting and I'm not standing in front of you. smile

Hello Shrapanel
I only Keep shooter's that will perform that is why I focus on Classic S&W revolver's as they all will shoot One Hole Ragged result's if I do my Job right. Regards, The General
Posted By: Clarkm Re: .45 acp for Deer - 12/01/14
I was in a gravel pit in MT this fall and rabbits were everywhere. But my brother kept bringing them home to eat.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: .45 acp for Deer - 12/01/14

Rabbit and grouse are better eating than deer any day...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Clarkm Re: .45 acp for Deer - 12/01/14
[Linked Image]
Trying to build my brother an amatuer gunsmtithing shop in Eastern MT and then he wants me to clean his rabbits too.
It was also a good sharptail grouse year.
Posted By: derby_dude Re: .45 acp for Deer - 12/01/14
Ever had rabbit and spaghetti? Yum, yum.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: .45 acp for Deer - 12/02/14
cottontail are damn good eating. Now jackrabbits? I never quite worked up the nerve to try cooking one. smile
Posted By: leomort Re: .45 acp for Deer - 12/03/14
So do you guys think the 45acp is a better hunting round than the 44mag?

I've always consider the 44mag to be a good hunting round but never really considr the 45acp one. A good self-defense roud, yes, but not huntig.

Looking forward to some enlightenment as I have a 1911 and didn't realize how versatile it could be!
Posted By: jwp475 Re: .45 acp for Deer - 12/03/14

All things considered the 44 mag is a better hunting round, because it is capable of taking very large game with 300 or heavier bullets.

Since you consider the 45 ACP a good defensive round, then why would it not be a good deer hunting round as well?
Posted By: bea175 Re: .45 acp for Deer - 12/03/14
I love the 1911 for hunting
Posted By: rattler Re: .45 acp for Deer - 12/03/14
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
cottontail are damn good eating. Now jackrabbits? I never quite worked up the nerve to try cooking one. smile

young ones are fine, older ones are a bit stringy
Posted By: Mac84 Re: .45 acp for Deer - 12/05/14
Nice Dan. I cant believe you let the Baer get wet. wink
© 24hourcampfire