Home
Posted By: ironbender New Revolver - 12/18/14
Got a NIB Redhawk in .44 mag today. It's been a long time since the last new handgun.

What is the break in procedure and cleaning of shipping oils?

Wet patch; dry patch; and shoot?

Thanks.
Posted By: EdM Re: New Revolver - 12/18/14
I just make sure the bore and cylinder are clear of everything, clean metal only, spotless. Then I just start banging away with whatever.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: New Revolver - 12/18/14
Originally Posted by EdM
I just make sure the bore and cylinder are clear of everything, clean metal only, spotless. Then I just start banging away with whatever.

Yup. Clean and degrease as needed; sometimes I'll re-lube the ejector star and plunger with a light oil if the gun shipped dry, and on a Ruger a small amount of light oil on the transfer bar can be helpful, and then start shooting.
Posted By: rem141r Re: New Revolver - 12/18/14
i just run a patch of rem oil through it and see what that looks like. usually just bang away after that.
Posted By: lastround Re: New Revolver - 12/18/14
My last new Redhawk was shipped pretty oily. I usually pull them apart and degrease the insides to get any manufacturing residue out and lightly re-oil all the moving parts in the trigger housing, very lightly under the star and the ratchet, and the ejector rod. Then it's just clean the barrel and chambers as normal and go to shooting.............then of course it will need some love performed on the action. Redhawks are my favorite 44 magnums. Asthetically, they may not be as pretty as my 629 Smith (eye of the beholder) or quite as light, but they are easy to work on and will last.......well, probably damn near forever.
Posted By: safariman Re: New Revolver - 12/18/14
Congratulations on a really stout, well made revolver to your collection. I hope that you enjoy it and kill lots of stuff with it!
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: New Revolver - 12/18/14
You got a good one. I think you are going to like it.
Posted By: JOG Re: New Revolver - 12/18/14
Any new-to-me firearm that I plan on using gets a full strip and worked over in detail. The improvement in the firearm and the knowledge gained is a lot of the fun for me.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: New Revolver - 12/18/14
New gun break in

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ironbender Re: New Revolver - 12/18/14
OK. Thanks for the replies!
Posted By: GeoW Re: New Revolver - 12/21/14
Make sure the barrel aint stopped up and give her hell. Afterwards is time for cleaning up ;)'

Still waiting for a RH in 44 mag. Have one each in 357 Mag and 41 Mag. Stout as hell they are.

g

Posted By: HawkI Re: New Revolver - 12/21/14
Originally Posted by GeoW
Still waiting for a RH in 44 mag. Have one each in 357 Mag and 41 Mag. Stout as hell they are.

g

Waiting for one in 44 Mag...I'd say you did your Redhawk collecting the right way!

And I'd just shoot it. If I like exteriors looking pretty, I clean 'em (and the frame window).

Barrels don't get cleaned, unless its been humid.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: New Revolver - 12/21/14
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by GeoW

g

Waiting for one in 44 Mag...I'd say you did your Redhawk collecting the right way!

And I'd just shoot it. If I like exteriors looking pretty, I clean 'em (and the frame window).

Barrels don't get cleaned, unless its been humid.
What's the second most produced Redhawk? 45 Colt? Can't be too many 357's and 41's around.
Posted By: HawkI Re: New Revolver - 12/21/14
Yep,
The older 45's don't show up very often, but they make the 4" SS one now.

Never understood the giant .357, but I'd bet you'd have a hard time shooting one loose in five lifetimes.
© 24hourcampfire