Home
1. Any of y'all got one of those TALO Kodiak Backpacker Redhawks yet?

2. I know Clements converts GP-100s to .40/10mm, but are there any smiths converting SP-101s to .40/10mm?

Thinking big holes and lotsa flash and blast is a good idea for a "get off my car, haters!" device.
Or a G 20.
Originally Posted by viking
Or a G 20.

That's the route I take.
Got a G29, but having seen and experienced auto pistols pushed out of battery during ground fighting and other struggles kinda wanting a snubnose revolver with bright and blasty rounds.

If someone is on me through a window I want to have 5-8 shots for sure from a .357 minimum.

I just looked at Rugers site and saw the Alaskans in .454 are same weight and shorter OAL than the Backpacker.

They're a bit less spendy than the Smiff 327...just much heavier, but that makes for a better impact weapon in extremis.

Call Jack Huntington @ 775-355-6898
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984

Thinking big holes and lotsa flash and blast is a good idea for a "get off my car, haters!" device.

From that description it sounds like you need a double barrel shotgun cut down to the barest legal configuration. It is the descendant of the blunderbuss used to repel boarders on ships.

.....are there any smiths converting SP-101s to .40/10mm?

I like that idea. The 4.25" SP101 with a .40/10 5 round moon clip would be neat.
Posted By: dla Re: Two Vehicle Defense Questions - 12/22/14
From the description I'd say you need to stop reading reading gun rags.
Hmmm. How about one of the Smith and Wesson 627 snubbies from the Performance Center. That would give you 8 rounds of 357. (And it is still substantial enough to be an highly effective bludgeon.)
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Hmmm. How about one of the Smith and Wesson 627 snubbies from the Performance Center. That would give you 8 rounds of 357. (And it is still substantial enough to be an highly effective bludgeon.)

...and comes with a guaranteed high flash to go with the loudest-in-class BANG...
Your frame of reference is clearly different.

I'm in a currently unpopular career field thanks to haters in high places...and carry guns every day. The gun on my hip is hard to draw in a car seat and behind a seatbelt. Hate ankle rigs, so BUG is in pocket.

Have an SBS but even with a pistol grip on it is too long. Need a nasty, brutish and short revolver. A .357 might do; what my peer Darryl Bolke calls a "flash bang with a .38".

I kind of like the idea of a Flashbang with a .45 attached to it, said tool will be in an easy to draw from holster affixed near driver's seat.

Hell, I may write a magazine story about it. Haven't written for a gun rag in a couple years. grin
There are very few things louder, nastier, and with more flash than a snub-nose .357.
Yeah, I'd go w that cheap Wally World Rem 125s and hope they're as bright and ear-splitting as the Rem. .44 Magnum 180 gr. JSP from Wally.

Problem w most "service ammo" cals is the low flash powder they feature.

Too bad AR pistols are kinda unwieldy in this role...
This, FTW!

[Linked Image]

I was shooting mine at an indoor range recently and nearly caught the egg-carton-style foam on the range ceiling on fire with the muzzle blast! Those Barnes 200 grain XPB's open up quite nicely too!

-John
Yeah, I'd go w that cheap Wally World Rem 125s and hope they're as bright and ear-splitting as the Rem. .44 Magnum 180 gr. JSP from Wally.

They are nasty. The Remington 125 JHP, especially if you can get the semi-jacketed versions with the scalloped jacket, are a flash bomb and ear-splitting. The 110 JHPs are as well, if you can only find them or if your revolver prefers them.
.....having seen and experienced auto pistols pushed out of battery during ground fighting and other struggles kinda wanting a snubnose revolver with bright and blasty rounds....

A DA revolver can be stopped too by firmly grabbing it by the cylinder.

Most everything has a weak point.
True.

I wonder, however, if we're so far past the golden age of revolvers in common use that the memory banks of criminals even know contain that info?

I can tell you on one day of our many yearly qualifications (250 sworn/20 per day) only one officer brought a revolver OD/BUG. Kind of jarring.

I've got some old Super-Vel 158 gr ammo, which is what I use for my carry load when I'm carrying a 357 revolver (used to carry one a lot when I had the house in nawth Flawduh). I like Darryl's "flash bang with a 38 quip"... very descriptive of this ammo. Hits like a freakin' mule kicks, and it is LOUD. Wish I had some to spare for y'all to T&E...
Need a nasty, brutish and short revolver.

I love the Hobbesian reference.

Find a Charter Arms Bulldog in .357.
Originally Posted by 4ager
There are very few things louder, nastier, and with more flash than a snub-nose .357.

grin

Kel-Tec PLR-16, perhaps?
Mu suggestion is to get a good cross section of the weapons suggested. Sit inside your vehicle without ear plugs and fire a round from inside. Then make your decision accordingly
LMAO! Loudly.
I've been inside a car when a 45ACP went off..that was enough to make me consider my vehicle defense plan to include smashing the pedal and GTFOOT
Yep. Shot critters from inside before. Not pleasant.
I had the pleasure of speaking to Lee Jurras a few years back about his groundbreaking ammo because a round of 110 Gr. Super-Vel JHP was used in a 1979 case we were looking at.

He wouldn't give a specific charge weight but was good enough to tell me it was "enough non-canister Unique to produce 1,100 fps out of a 2-in. barrel."

Last rounds rolled off the line c.'73 IIRC and the crime was six years later, so the remaining rounds in the gun were at least were at least 37 years old when the lab tested them in front of a Vision Research hyper-speed video camera.

One round wouldn't fire but the other two created horrendous flash and hundreds of burning and unburnt grains pluming out.

That's the desired effect. All premium rounds near that fast these days ad copy proclaims they are low-flash. Gotta use the hot, cheap stuff.
Roll your own. Use Unique, redo the recipe, and be done.

This schit is only as hard as you make it.
Not trying to. The liability folks decry handloads. In eight years I can do what I want.

I've been shooting far longer than many, and in my early years we didn't use ear pro or eye pro. My hearing is pretty bad.

I'm considering soft armor in plainclothes for the first time in years and buying personal rifle plates to keep handy since our department doesn't provide them to non-SWAT.

So dropping less than $20 for Surefire Sonic Defenders in my wrinkled old ears might not be a bad idea.

And it's great you recognized the Hobbes quote. I like my "Work/Life"guns to all be NBS-compliant. grin
The Charter .357 will cover your bases and if it's stolen you are not out much.
Don't get that. I think Ruger LCR would be best low cost option.
Didn't say new Charter. You couldn't give me one of those.
I've got two dedicated truck guns. Glock 32 in the Console and a S&W Governor 45/410 in the drivers side door pouch for "close" encounters or to repel unwanted carjackers!

And as soon as my next Class 3 stamp goes through with the Feds, I'll be replacing my S&W Governor with a AOW 870 12ga with a 8" barrel & pistol grip.
It's bough and payed for. Just waiting on the Fed. Paperwork to process.
chlinstructor
That kinda sounds like what the Marshall use on occasion!!! Cheers NC
It is. It ought to also make one HELL of a Rattlesnake gun at the Ranch, too cool
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

And as soon as my next Class 3 stamp goes through with the Feds, I'll be replacing my S&W Governor with a AOW 870 12ga with a 8" barrel & pistol grip.
It's bough and payed for. Just waiting on the Fed. Paperwork to process.

Whatever you do, don't try to index it as if it had a buttstock!

Popped a pistol grip on my issued 14-in. 870P for a specific mission few weeks ago. Nothing happened, but left it that way for awhile.

Indexed it as above with a trap load at a reactive target at my range, with a mere trap load, and it smacked back hard enough it drove my firing hand into the corner of my mouth. It smarted!

The ute buttstock is back on it. Think I know why they called them whippets. So glad it wasn't a Brenneke!
Ouch!!! I bet that did hurt! Thanks for the reminder!
© 24hourcampfire