Home
Posted By: mog75 Am I using the right data? - 01/15/15
I got a lyman mold #452374 for xmas. It is supposed to drop bullets at 180 but instead they are right under 200. Searching Google I found several comments confirming that these molds do indeed drop at 200, but nobody really mentions a load. Even the lyman cast bullet manual lists them as a 180 with data looking a bit warm for a 200. (Some of the 200 gr starting loads exceed the max loads for 180) I've currently worked up to 7.8 gr of AA#5 and everything seems ok so far. Crony readings are 942 -960 over 5 shots with that load. Should I stop here? 45 acp springfield 1911 a1.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: RJM Re: Am I using the right data? - 01/15/15
According to Accurate a 200 grain Hornady JHP can be pushed with up to 9.7 grains of AA-5. With a lead bullet having much less resistance going down the bore you should be fine.

In their loading manual 8.4 gr./924 fps, 9.7 gr./1050 fps.

Lyman lists a 200 grain lead bullet at 8.0 gr/970

So it looks like you are well within the limits and have room to move upwards if you want to.

Nice looking bullet...

Bob
Posted By: mog75 Re: Am I using the right data? - 01/15/15
Kind of curious how they got that data. If I hadn't weighed them first I could have started over max depending on which powder I used. Maybe they had a prototype mold that dropped 180 gr. bullets?
Posted By: JOG Re: Am I using the right data? - 01/15/15
Not weighing a sampling of the bullets you cast would be...not smart.

What alloy did you use? A 200-grain bullet in pure lead would be close to 180-grains when cast with #2.
Posted By: mog75 Re: Am I using the right data? - 01/15/15
Clip on wheel weights with maybe 1% tin added. I knew the alloy made a difference but I didn't realize it was that much. Thanks for pointing that out.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Am I using the right data? - 01/15/15

Depth of bullet in case affects pressure more than 20 grain difference.
Originally Posted by jwp475

Except all the variables can stack and then a guy might really have a problem. It's best to control the things that can be.
Originally Posted by mog75
I knew the alloy made a difference but I didn't realize it was that much. Thanks for pointing that out.

#2 is generally the lightest alloy. 20-grains is a lot to pick up using clip-on wheel weights, but about right for pure lead.

Based on density your bullets should have weighed around 192-grains, but that assumes a lot about the alloy's composition and "is more what you call guidelines, than actual rules..."
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Am I using the right data? - 01/15/15
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by jwp475

Except all the variables can stack and then a guy might really have a problem. It's best to control the things that can be.

I have a 290 grain mold for the 44 mag that seats considerably less bullet in the case than a 240 jacketed. When seated to the canalur is too long for a SBH or S&W but works in a RH/SRH and takes more H-110/296 than a 240 grain. Intruding into the case capacity matters most.
© 24hourcampfire