Home
Finally got some free time to get pictures of my Bowen Nimrod that arrived last week. I sent in my gun to Bowen on September 4, 2014, so the wait was really short by custom revolver standards.

Base gun was a Ruger stainless Bisley 45 Colt. Bowen converted it to a 6-shot 45 Colt Nimrod; line-bored factory diameter cylinder, new barrel with integral front sight, action job, etc. The front sight has three gold bars for long-range plinking, and the rear sight is a Bowen target model.

Cary Chapman made the grips from merino ram's horn and they are fantastic. The translucence, reflectivity and variety of colors in the horn make them a treat to look at in all different kinds of light. They're also a challenge to photograph and I can guarantee they look better in person. I had Bowen deck the grip frame before he sent it to Cary for grips and the grip-to-frame fit is awesome.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet (going out tomorrow) but I have no doubt it'll be a shooter. I chose to go with a 6-shot .45 Colt because I felt it provided the best balance of power, portability, and controllability. I also went with a 6-shot cylinder to save some weight compared to a 5-shot 45 Colt. As can be seen below, my Nimrod is only an ounce or so heavier than my Dad's Accusport Stainless Bisley 45 Colt. The grips on that gun were also made by Cary Chapman and are ivory micarta. I've had them since 2006 and they've worked great for both my Dad and I.

All in all I'm very pleased. The freewheeling cylinder is absolutely silent in rotation and locks up like a bank vault. The trigger pull is crisp and the gun balances well in the hand with only a slight forward bias. Just enough to take the sting out of muzzle whip, I suspect, but I'll know more tomorrow after I shoot it.

I've wanted a Bowen Nimrod for ten years, since I was in graduate school and barely had two nickels to rub together. The one thing I could afford on Bowen's website was his book "The Custom Revolver," which at the time sold for the princely sum of $40 if I recall correctly. I bought that book and have nearly read it to pieces over the years. I've got the Kindle version now and my hard copy is getting deserved rest next to my first edition of Keith's Sixguns. This revolver may not be the "best" or "perfect," but it's exactly what I want. It was expensive, but I sold a bunch of guns I hadn't shot in years and I don't miss a single one of them. My plan for this Nimrod is to load up the 1,000 Starline cases I've got sitting on the shelf with 285gr bullets over HS-6 and start practicing. If I can get good enough by October, I'm taking it Elk hunting.

[Linked Image]

Front sight, just like the picture in Bowen's book. When I ordered it I just asked him to make it look like the book, and he delivered:

[Linked Image]

Rear sight, I went with the target model because I like the serrated rear blade:

[Linked Image]

Cary's work on these grips is just gorgeous:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Weight compared with a standard stainless Bisley 45 Colt:

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/oregon45/image.jpg3_zpsv7bvosvh.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/oregon45/image.jpg4_zpsjdq2qlgg.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/oregon45/image.jpg5_zps2rlx9pfo.jpg[/img]

Hard to beat a Bisley in 45 Colt!

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/oregon45/image.jpg1_zpsaakw8ma7.jpg[/img]

Wonderful smile
I just FM.

Twice.

If you fall on really hard and desperate times, shoot me a PM.

Wow.

Travis
Fantastic looking wheel gun. Hoping there's some equally as beautiful leather for it to ride in.
I'm going to order an El Paso Saddlery "Tanker" holster for it; lined and floral carved, should be pretty cool. Likely order a Milt Sparks #200AW for belt carry.
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I'm going to order an El Paso Saddlery "Tanker" holster for it; lined and floral carved, should be pretty cool. Likely order a Milt Sparks #200AW for belt carry.

Perfect leather for that piece.

Well done, in all regards.
Sounds like quite the combo. Looking forward to more pictures (including with an elk!)
Sweet!

Way, way nice.
Sweet.
Awesome!

For me, the Nimrod is about the pinnacle of SA work. Might have to sell a few guns myself and ship my SBH out....
Stunning...
Whatever you paid it is worth twice as much...nice gun...

Bob
You should charge a fee to look at it....Wow!

Congratulations on a very nice revolver in a great caliber/ cartridge.
One of the best smiths and the best caliber for sure. Congrats on a beautiful gun!!!!!!!
That bisley is absolutely stunning. Those sheephorn grips are number 1, GI.
Nice gun, but it sure ain't no Taurus
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Nice gun, but it sure ain't no Taurus
grin
Sweet.
Now that is nice.
Thanks for all the kind words guys. I had the Nimrod out on the range this morning and it turned what had been a mediocre load in the un-modified Bisley base-gun (300gr Cast Performance LFNGC, H110, new Winchester brass, WLP primer) into a decent performer: 6 shots into 3" at 25 yards, off-hand. Not anything for a bullseye shooter to be happy with, but darn good for me on the first outing with a new revolver. That load is a bit stouter than what I plan to run in the Nimrod when I start loading for it specifically, but it was all I had on hand. Next stop, the loading bench
Slick looking rig, O45...

Very well executed....
Very nice, enjoy the heck out of it.
Nice piece for sure.
Hamilton's shop produces superb work. I have asked him to tune a half dozen or so revolvers for me and have always been impressed with the outcome.

You will enjoy that"Nimrod". Select a holster worthy of that Sixgun.
our tastes are almost identical. beautiful piece and grips as well. You are going to enjoy that custom beauty for years to come!!! good for you!
That is just stunning. Congratulations on going for what you wanted.
Very Nice.
Beautiful! I showed my wife the pictures of yours this morning and told her that I WILL have a nimrod someday...she just went back to what she was doing. Some people just don't understand.
Originally Posted by deflave
I just FM.

Twice.

Travis

note to self...don't post any Shiloh pictures.... crazy
Ooooh, that came together nice!
Beautiful piece for sure. I wish single actions felt good in my hand but they just don't. Shoot the hell out of it!!!
Wow, what a great looking piece. Congrats!

Very nice! That shop does great work.
If you need a holster I suggest The Linebaugh from Von Ringler. He makes them to fit the Nimrod barrel configuration. Here's mine with my 500L Nimrod in it. I have a Sparks 200AW that I like a bunch but it will not work with the Nimrod.

[Linked Image]
Very fine wheelgun O45, congratulations.

EdM, that 500 will bite hard on some Tejas porkers, nice rig. smile
© 24hourcampfire