Home
Posted By: Scott F Shoulder holster??? - 01/26/15
I am 6' 1", 195 pounds and looking for a good but not real high priced shoulder holster that can be used with casual wear. Maybe even between shirt and under shirt, maybe under vest of in cooler weather a light jacket. Main considerations would it is comfortable and will not pring with full size 1911.

Suggestions?
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Shoulder holster??? - 01/26/15
I would say the Safariland ALS (no worries about it dropping out) but I'd guess a 5in 1911 might still print. I have one for a Glock and its my "driving" holster. I wear a "shoot-me-first" vest over it as I drive through Birmingham and Memphis numerous times/yr at night.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Shoulder holster??? - 01/26/15
Thanks. I spend more time in cities sitting than standing and was thinking of a shoulder holster for just that reason. When I will be on my feet it will be my Milt Sparks VM II.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Shoulder holster??? - 01/26/15
Safariman knows, ask him.

MM
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: Shoulder holster??? - 01/26/15
galco jackass. wink
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Shoulder holster??? - 01/26/15
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
galco jackass. wink

Make sure its snapped. A detective here yrs ago dropped a Hi-Power out of one. It landed on the hammer, muzzle up, discharged and creased his pectoral muscle.

I'm guessing he threw his drawers out with that holster.
Posted By: viking Re: Shoulder holster??? - 01/27/15
I went with a Blackhawk harness.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Shoulder holster??? - 01/27/15
You don't want a shoulder holster.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Shoulder holster??? - 01/27/15
Originally Posted by Scott F
... maybe under vest of in cooler weather a light jacket. ... comfortable and will not pring with full size 1911.

You posted this from a cell phone, didn't you? grin

I don't think there are many men who could wear a full size 1911 in a shoulder holster under a vest and not have it print the moment he stepped away from a mirror. And good luck with a light jacket.

Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Shoulder holster??? - 01/27/15
galco, jackass. wink

Fixt
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Shoulder holster??? - 01/27/15
Scott. You may want to look at the 5.11 holster shirts. I have one and have carried a full size Glock 45 in it without printing. Worn under an open buttun front ahirt it looks just like an "under armour" type performance t shirt
Posted By: RJM Re: Shoulder holster??? - 01/27/15
Originally Posted by Glocktard
galco jackass. wink

Make sure its snapped. A detective here yrs ago dropped a Hi-Power out of one. It landed on the hammer, muzzle up, discharged and creased his pectoral muscle.

I'm guessing he threw his drawers out with that holster.

A LEO friend of mine lost his SIG TWICE the same way. The last time he bent over to mark something at the scene of a fatality accident and it landed right on the tang muzzle pointing between his eyes.

Any thunbsnap horizontal shoulder holster without enough tension to hold the gun in place if (when) the the thumbsnap comes undone is a droped gun waiting to happen.

I've had a number of shoulder holsters over the years and the only one I ever liked was the Bianchi 9R for J and K size snubbies. For a 1911 it is easier and more comfortable to slip it inside the waistband on the support side butt forward....but that is just what works for me...

Bob
Posted By: JOG Re: Shoulder holster??? - 01/27/15
I figure the "Jackass" is aptly named considering the wearer is a walking Rule #2 violation. They should have to wear a sign so I can level the playing field by strolling around with my gun aimed at their chest too.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Shoulder holster??? - 01/27/15
Originally Posted by JOG
I figure the "Jackass" is aptly named considering the wearer is a walking Rule #2 violation. They should have to wear a sign so I can level the playing field by strolling around with my gun aimed at their chest too.

Roger that.

I gave up on the whole shoulder holster for concealment idea decades ago. I'm in that group that simply can't conceal a full-size handgun with one, but don't need it for anything compact. Except in the middle of winter if I stay outside in the cold - but then I can just go OWB anyway. I don't know anyone who wears a shoulder holster for concealment (as far as I know wink ). Guess I'm not around many hulky guys. If I were in a situation where I could conceal a 1911 in a shoulder holster (winter jacket), and I couldn't get along with strong-side OWB (driving, etc) - I'd probably just opt for a cross-draw rig.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Shoulder holster??? - 01/28/15
Thanks guys, shoulder holster idea out the window. I will look at cross-draws.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Shoulder holster??? - 01/28/15
Or, a nice little revolver for the front pocket.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Shoulder holster??? - 01/28/15
Originally Posted by Scott F
Thanks guys, shoulder holster idea out the window. I will look at cross-draws.

concealment doesn't work for this really, but i like the old WWII style shoulder holster for a 1911, the later version. I am partial to them as i don't really like the weight on a belt.
But the military holster is a decent way to pack a 1911 when out and about, concealment not being part of the equation.
Pacific canvas sells them at a pretty good price.
sent you a picture
Posted By: Scott F Re: Shoulder holster??? - 01/28/15
I have an old one in black at home on the farm. It might conceal well if it were not for the strap across the chest. Next time I go home I will get it out and see if I can make it work. I just might get away with the right loose fitting snap button shirt and a light vest. I wear vests a lot anyway.

BTW That is a beautiful in the picture.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Shoulder holster??? - 01/29/15
just a standard ruger, with lazer cut grips. Going to be a gift someday to my favorite grandson, an officer and gentleman in the air farce.
i do like those leather holsters pacific sells tho, have a number of them for military revolvers and the like.
One of my favorites is the 1912 for the 1911.
http://www.pacificcanvasandleather.com/holsters/pcl_13_usmc_l.htm
this is the guy you were looking at in the picture, exception being mine is L.H., which my grandson is too.

http://www.pacificcanvasandleather.com/holsters/pcl_56_r.htm
there is a guy up in montana, i think deflave had him in a link, that makes a pretty nice shoulder set up to which you can attach any holster. I that is pretty slick too.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Shoulder holster??? - 01/29/15
I will get my daughter to send my old Tanker holster down when she sends out next batch of mail. It may not be what I am looking for but it will be fun to play with.

© 24hourcampfire