Home
Posted By: krupp Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/21/15
Leaning toward Lone Wolf barrels for a few of my Glocks. I have heard some good and bad things about them.
Thought about BarSto but they are twice the price.

Input please.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/21/15
Lone Wolf is about as good as they get for a Glock and on the average more accurate than the factory barrel. I don't think you will be disappointed with their barrels. I have never been so far. My Glock 23 with LW 357 Sig Barrel

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Teal Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/21/15
ZEV is now offering their own barrels as well. Might be worth a thunk. I don't have one but have been very impressed/happy with their trigger pieces I put in my G19.
Posted By: JOG Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/21/15
It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. LW provides a barrel similar to factory quality/accuracy with better case support in some chamberings.
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/21/15
Originally Posted by krupp
Leaning toward Lone Wolf barrels for a few of my Glocks. I have heard some good and bad things about them.
Thought about BarSto but they are twice the price.

Input please.

Between my two boys and I we have four Lone Wolf barrels for some of our Glocks;
Two G-27's with 9mm conversion barrels, a G-23 with a 9mm conversion barrel and a 9mm barrel for my Glock 19.

We got them to allow us to shoot cast bullets and or the cheaper 9mm ammo.

They work very well. The accuracy is not noticeably different.
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/21/15
I like my LW conversion barrel well enough but If I was looking for a true upgrade over stock I would go KKM.
Posted By: HARDBALLER Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/21/15
Originally Posted by justin10mm
I like my LW conversion barrel well enough but If I was looking for a true upgrade over stock I would go KKM.

I have both a LW and a KKM barrel for the Glocks. I do notice a difference in better accuracy with the KKM barrel over the Glock and the LW. I had some functioning problems with the KKM barrel the first 100 rounds or so but after the barrel "seated, it function flawlessly and accuracy became apparent. The KKM barrel does have "tighter" chamber dimensions than the factory barrel, so if you're shooting reloads, make sure you're sizing correctly and test your rounds before loading large batches.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/21/15
I've got one of their 9mm conversion barrels for my Glock 22. It's worked without any glitches, and shoots better than I can.

The throat is shorter than the factory barrel in my Glock 17. I needed to seat bullets a little deeper for ammo compatibility between the two.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/22/15
I had a LW 6" 10mm barrel in my G20, originally. It did not work well for me, was the leading cause of a "ka-boom" I had the first range session with the pistol. It does not offer good case support for 10mm - or at least mine did not. It was also so "tight" that brands like Buffalo Bore did not chamber well, Double Tap would not chamber at all. It would have been hard to determine accuracy, since it basically would not shoot properly. I replaced it with a Glock 6" barrel, and pretty much all my problems went away. I would likely not buy/own another LW barrel.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/22/15
Originally Posted by bea175
Lone Wolf is about as good as they get for a Glock and on the average more accurate than the factory barrel. I don't think you will be disappointed with their barrels. I have never been so far. My Glock 23 with LW 357 Sig Barrel ]

^^^This^^^. They have worked very well for me.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/22/15
kkm here...case support is better on every one I have seen.
Posted By: supercrewd Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/22/15
I have a conversion barrel, it works fine. I don't have a huge number of rounds thru it though. A friend shoots a KKM and as already stated, very accurate but a little tight.
I went with a KKM G21 6 inch barrel; to shoot lead and to get better case support, was also more accurate than the Glock barrel. It was initially too tight too lock up, so I had it fitted... would rather have this than too sloppy.

Jerry
Posted By: Yondering Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/23/15
Lone Wolf is about as good as they get for a Glock

Haha, that's a good one.

The cheapest barrel on the market, and the one with the most claims of problems, but it's "as good as they get"?

OEM Glock barrels are actually really good quality; Lone Wolf doesn't even come close. KKM barrels are pretty good, but LW is one of those where you get what you pay for. You might get a good one - or you might not.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/23/15
You have to pay extra to get them to leave the stupid wolf off...that's enough reason to pick something else.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/23/15
The logo does look a bit goofy, and pointless.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/23/15
I notice the logo on mine is different from that on bea175's.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/23/15
I purchased a LW barrel for a G23 in 2009. It was actually smaller than the OEM barrel at certain locking points and it too some work on my part to get it to shoot as well as the OEM barrel.

http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2009/09/lone-wolf-distributors-barrel-for-glock.html

I was shooting a lot of lead in those days but have since switched to Xtreme plated bullets. I'd say if you just want a barrel to shoot lead and you aren't particularly concerned about accuracy, the LW will serve you fine.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/23/15
And why can't you shoot hard cast lead in a factory Glock barrel?
You can, with no problems, and good accuracy, if it's done right. Seems like most don't want to take the time to figure out bore diameter, and make sure their bullets are a bit larger than that.

With the increasing popularity of powder coating and other lead bullet coatings, replacement Glock barrels are showing less value than ever. They shoot like jacketed bullets in Glock OEM barrels - no mess, no fuss.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/23/15
I have replace the barrels on four Glocks with the Lone Wolf and have never had one jam and accuracy is outstanding. Here is the 6 inch Wolf on my Glock 20 .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/23/15
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I've got one of their 9mm conversion barrels for my Glock 22. It's worked without any glitches, and shoots better than I can.

The throat is shorter than the factory barrel in my Glock 17. I needed to seat bullets a little deeper for ammo compatibility between the two.

[Linked Image]

When they came out with the conversion barrels, I was pretty skeptical and I thought it was kind of a goofy idea. Boy was I wrong, it's rare I hear of any problems with them and most have reported that the gun doesn't miss a step at all. I've heard of a couple people complain that it no longer shot to point of aim, but even that isn't common.
I have replace the barrels on four Glocks with the Lone Wolf and have never had one jam and accuracy is outstanding.

I've also used several Lone Wolf barrels, among others, and have a 6.6" G20 barrel in my LW longslide. They do work, usually, although more than half of mine have needed some form of work to be correct. Most other brands are better, hence LW is definitely not "as good as it gets".
Posted By: Waders Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/23/15
Originally Posted by krupp
Input please.

I own only one - a 9mm barrel for a Glock 23. It functions perfectly.
Posted By: HE112 Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/24/15
I bought a LW in 9 MM for my Glock 17, the accuracy never was as good as the factory barrel, but it was tighter in the fit to slide area as I noticed it was wearing into the upper slide more than the factory barrel.

Ended up selling my Glock 17 and the LW barrel was sold separately online. Glad to see other people noticed that LW is not all that great.
I have a threaded 9 to 40 barrel for my G22 shoots very well no hiccups!

Mike
Posted By: Redhill Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/25/15
At one time when I was young and foolish I ordered two LW barrels for a G27 and G30. If you read their website material it states that there barrels are designed to work with factory ammo. This is a huge oversight by many who buy their products. (See a big thread in Glock Talk about LW barrels)

What is the reason most people buy a LW barrel? Answer: Most buy because they believe they can shoot lead reloads safely with that barrel. NEWS FLASH -- LW BARRELS COME WITH SHORT TIGHT CHAMBERS. If you find that you ammo won't feed with a LW barrel for $30 and shipping they will "ream" it out for you. When a lot of their customers started to flame them on this policy, they relented and offer to bore out the chamber for free. Since then I think it now costs you $30 to correct a problem on a new barrel.

I returned my two barrels to LW for the free rebore and it only took 104 days to turn them around !!!! After the ream job, on the barrels and also me, one of the barrels would function about 80% of the time and the other about 35%. Their custom service approach is to first call you an idiot for trying to use their barrels with your reloads. Even if your reloads will function properly in multiple other barrels for that same caliber.

I later ordered two KKM barrels for the two Glocks and things are running very smooth with the same reloads. I think there is some increase in accuracy in the G27 and a lot of increase in the G30. I will never buy another LW product.

Some Glock barrels will shoot lead reloads just fine. I have two other Glocks a G19 and a G17 that handle the lead reloads just fine and do so accurately. After shooting 75-100 rounds I will clean the barrel but lately there is little leading showing up at all if any.

If you are thinking about changing out your Glock barrels to shoot lead I would recommend KKM, but I would try a bunch of lead rounds first to see if you really need to change over.

Stay away from LW barrels.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/25/15
for me it was less about accuracy, or the factory barrel not shooting lead but shooting 200's at 1250 without scaring the crap out of me by blowing big bubbles in my brass. kkm cures the smile, accuracy and is super easy to clean.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Lone Wolf barrels... - 02/25/15
Originally Posted by Redhill

Some Glock barrels will shoot lead reloads just fine. I have two other Glocks a G19 and a G17 that handle the lead reloads just fine and do so accurately. After shooting 75-100 rounds I will clean the barrel but lately there is little leading showing up at all if any.

Good thoughts.

Just a tip - if you find a Glock OEM barrel that doesn't shoot lead well, make sure to slug and measure the bore. My G19 barrel slugs at .357", so a lot of .356-.357" commercial cast bullets would lead badly. I have slugged others at .355" though, and some of the .40/10mm barrels at .401" instead of .400".

I just size my cast bullets as large as possible to still drop in the chamber easily (.360" for Glock 9mm barrels) and they shoot great.
© 24hourcampfire