Originally Posted by DINK
Smith 642. End of discussion..

Dink

Yeah I wish this could be a more lively discussion but he is right

Hank
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 38 advice - 03/25/15
Ok but why and how is this the best
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: 38 advice - 03/25/15
The 642 (or the 442 if you like blue) are aluminum frame framed with concealed hammers. They weigh roughly 14-16 oz. They are simply the best CCW revolver when it comes to five shot .38's.

Dink
Posted By: GunGeek Re: 38 advice - 03/25/15
Originally Posted by DINK
Smith 642. End of discussion..

Dink
When you're right, your right!
I like single action and I will shoot it a lot for fun so is there a reason I would bypass the 637
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 38 advice - 03/25/15
Did someone mention 642. I like it with the Desantis Grip Clip.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: 38 advice - 03/25/15
Myself, I prefer the model 38.

[Linked Image]

I can live with the Centennial, but prefer the ability to shoot single action if I feel the need. Also, the humpback gives me a tad more room to cheat my hand up above the tang.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 38 advice - 03/25/15
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
I like single action and I will shoot it a lot for fun so is there a reason I would bypass the 637

Since it's going to be a CCW I'd be shooting it the way I'd be using it in a hurry. That means double action, 24/7
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: 38 advice - 03/25/15
S&W- 36,38,40, 12-. 12-1, 12-3...............
438,638, 642

Air Weights, Scandiums..............

Right now, on my counter is; M38, M12-3 AIR WEIGHT, M43C, M36 NICKEL,CHARTER UNDERCOVER, CHARTER .44 BULL DOG, INA TIGER.32 S&W LONG, M30/3" S&W LONG.

When I walk out the door 1 or 2 are on my person, always.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: 38 advice - 03/25/15
Ruger LCR
Posted By: RipSnort Re: 38 advice - 03/25/15
S&W 642, 442, 342. Of the three, the 342 is the lightest (it's not named the AirLight for nothing) and it is the one that gets carried the most by me.

RS
Posted By: TERRY8mm Re: 38 advice - 03/25/15
When I left the office a couple of hours ago there were 5 of us. 1 was unarmed, 2 had 642's, I had my m38 and 1had his LC9.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: 38 advice - 03/25/15
Good guns the 5 shot aluminum smiths, they are there when you need them. Mine has done one copperhead and one gut shot deer.
It's designed to be carried but how are they if you shoot them a lot? Durable?
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: 38 advice - 03/25/15
If it is going to be a pocket gun, then a 2 inch J frame is the way to go. If it is going to be carried in a belt holster, I like the SP 101 with a 3 inch barrel. It can cover a lot more locales and situations than the pocket gun and still hides pretty well, whether IWB in a VMII or OWB in a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: 38 advice - 03/26/15
It's designed to be carried but how are they if you shoot them a lot? Durable?

I have had mine 10 years. It's looks as if it has been drug behind a truck for many miles. The day I bought it I also bought 1,000 rounds of 158 grain +p hollow points that were on sale. It shot all of those, about 300 125 grain +p golden sabers (again I got a deal), probably 500ish other 38's mostly light hand loads.

I kinda expect it to break anytime from the abuse I have given it but it just keeps plugging right along.
Dink
Posted By: TheKid Re: 38 advice - 03/26/15
M36 in my pocket everyday everywhere I go. I like the ability to use SA if I need to, have shot grouse and rabbits and such with it as it was the gun I had at the time. Mines steel but I don't think it makes a ton of difference in a gun of this size.

As for durability, Elmer Keith was given one of the first chief special airweights off the line back in the 50's for R&D. He kept it a year and put thousands of 38/44 hand loads through it with no undue effects, those loads would be in the neighborhood of +p++ in today's world. I've shot my M36 a bunch over the years with no apparent looseness or broken parts.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: 38 advice - 03/26/15
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
If it is going to be a pocket gun, then a 2 inch J frame is the way to go. If it is going to be carried in a belt holster, I like the SP 101 with a 3 inch barrel. It can cover a lot more locales and situations than the pocket gun and still hides pretty well, whether IWB in a VMII or OWB in a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar.

[Linked Image]

When you're right, your right.
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: 38 advice - 03/26/15
LCRx, Single action or double action. One and one eight inch more barrel doesn't mean you can't hide it.
Posted By: Bull_Elk Re: 38 advice - 03/26/15
I have an early 640 in 38 and really like it. Even though it's all stainless, It's small enough to conceal yet heavy enough to shoot comfortably. If I were in the market today I think I'd go with todays version in 357. Shoot 38's for practice and load with 357 for carry. JMO
Posted By: k20350 Re: 38 advice - 03/26/15
642 is right. I really really need to buy one. I am getting guilty carrying my Nickle Model 49 pinned barrel that is 99%...................
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 38 advice - 03/26/15
I like my little Christmas present to myself from a few years ago. 642 with CT grips. Carries easy in an Uncle Mike's in the back pocket. Lotta bang in a light little 5-shooter with the right loads.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: dsink Re: 38 advice - 03/26/15
Hard to beat the S&W 442 or 642. I must admit to really liking my New Model Bodyguard 38 though. Took me a while to warm up to a plastic revolver but the trigger pull is like butter from the factory and it weighs next to nothing.
Posted By: boatboy Re: 38 advice - 03/26/15
I agree with my friend Marlin and other posters no flys on a SP101 either
I have been collection J frames for 30 years so like many of you I also have 42 holsters of something like that
right now Cabelas has Blackhawk retention holsters for 9.88 for the Jframes. I bought one I like it so much I bought a second (not sure why??) but its simple belt or paddle and it locks the gun in
If you are out in the woods its locked I liked it quite a bit

well never mind I was going to post a link and they are gone

Hank
Posted By: RJM Re: 38 advice - 03/26/15

You may "like" SA shooting but is really not appropriate for a DA revolver that is going to be used defensively. That and the more SA shooting you do with this gun the less DA practice you will get in.

You may not believe this but if you learn the correct DA technique your groups will be smaller than shooting single action as long as you have the hand strength to do so.

As to why the 642 is probably the top snubbie made...Because of the totally enclosed hammer very little lint can get into the action. There is also no hammer to snag on the draw. Snubbies with hammers also have a tendency to wear holes in pockets and clothing.

Bob
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: 38 advice - 03/26/15
My wife had a M640 357. I shot it once with midrange 357 ammo and it wasn't too bad at all. I put a reduced power rebound spring in it. I really liked it but after a while she decided it was to heavy. She has a LC-380 now. IMO if you're going to shoot your snubbie a low a steel frame may be a better choice. I handled a Ruger LCR last year and the trigger pull was great.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: 38 advice - 03/26/15
I wouldn't disagree with what the others have said as i might have more than one of those mentioned. But one of my favorites is an early 5's j frame where somebody bobbed the hammer. It's mighty fine.
And there is always the dick special or the agent, or the cobra.
and you get six rounds.
that is, if you can get past them being colts.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 38 advice - 03/26/15
Hard to beat a S&W J Frame. But the one I probably carry the most is their new 38. Bodyguard with the Polymer / Alloy combo frame. It only weighs 14 ounces and comes with a built in Lazer for less than $500 bucks.

Here's the link : http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/..._757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 38 advice - 03/27/15
That's a nice piece, too. Haven't handled one yet.
Posted By: whelennut Re: 38 advice - 03/27/15
I cannot imagine using anything other than a 642.
It is perfect in a holster I got from Pistol Packaging in Maple Plain, Minnesota.
I shot a big feral cat with 125 gr Remington Golden Sabre and my sister in law who cleaned up the mess afterwards said it looked like I had used an elephant rifle.
whelennut
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: 38 advice - 03/27/15
I love my S&W Wyatt Deep Cover. Could care less about the whole 'Gunsmoke' thing, but a Performance Center snubby with polished bits makes for a nice little carry piece.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: 38 advice - 03/27/15
out of the .38 Special revolvers I own, I am only carrying two. An elderly Model 60, and a newer Model 442. Both of them are DAO, One with a factory bobbed hammer, the other concealed hammer. The 60 has a three inch barrel, the 442 is 1.8 inches.
I have leather to carry these in the front pocket, IWB, OWB, on my ankle, and in my shoulder pit.
They are very versatile, accurate, reliable and 'adequate'. I load a 140 grain Sierra HP for them with Blue Dot powder.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: 38 advice - 03/28/15
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
out of the .38 Special revolvers I own, I am only carrying two. An elderly Model 60, and a newer Model 442. Both of them are DAO, One with a factory bobbed hammer, the other concealed hammer. The 60 has a three inch barrel, the 442 is 1.8 inches.
I have leather to carry these in the front pocket, IWB, OWB, on my ankle, and in my shoulder pit.
They are very versatile, accurate, reliable and 'adequate'. I load a 140 grain Sierra HP for them with Blue Dot powder.
[Linked Image]

Nice pair of J frames, Sam. The 3" gun is especially sweet.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 38 advice - 03/28/15
Looking for advice on ccw revolver. Open to your ideas

Got the Wife a little lightweight Colt Cobra snub, not as small as some of the new offerings but she handles it well, milk jugs at 15 yards are in trouble. grin
Posted By: Fotis Re: 38 advice - 03/28/15
This is what I carry

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bea175 Re: 38 advice - 03/28/15
I have two Model 36 , Nickel and Blue. I very seldom carry either and usually carry my Ruger SP-101 when packing a revolver. My load in the Model 36's is a Cast 158 gr SWC loaded with 6.0 gr's of HS-6

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fotis Re: 38 advice - 03/28/15
This ammo rox in the 38

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/27...cketed-hollow-point?cm_vc=ProductFinding
Posted By: husqvarna Re: 38 advice - 03/29/15
I chose a 638, but for most people the 642 is probably the better choice. The current boot type grips make them both natural pointers and they are surprisingly accurate and easy to hit with.
Posted By: 79inpa Re: 38 advice - 03/29/15
I'm the one hold out for the mp 340 in .357. The last few hundred fps seem to make a .357 diameter bullet open up a bit better.
Posted By: woods_walker Re: 38 advice - 03/30/15
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Did someone mention 642. I like it with the Desantis Grip Clip.

[Linked Image]

Steelhead,

What is your effective range for the CCI shot cartridges from the 642? Have not considered using them in my 642 until I saw your post.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 38 advice - 03/30/15
In my experience the CCI Shotshell loads are good for about 10 feet on big Rattlesnakes here at the Ranch out of a snubby in 38sp.

But it beats the hell out of a short stick! cool
Posted By: woods_walker Re: 38 advice - 03/30/15
Yep...

If the need arose that would work for me.

Fairly dense pattern at ten feet or so?
Posted By: ColdCase1984 Re: 38 advice - 03/30/15
Haven't seen - CCI .38 shot shell for sale in 18. Mos. Did, however, brain a 4-foot timber rattler last summer w a BB 150 gr. HCWC outta my well-worn 442 last summer.

All other calibers available at LGS, but no .38s.
Posted By: TheKid Re: 38 advice - 03/30/15
Venturino did an article years back about making your own shotshells using gaschecks. I've done it and it works. You can use a chamfering tool to sharpen a case mouth to use as a wadcutter for cutting cardboard wads if you don't have gaschecks. Cut open a couple cheap shotgun shells for shot if you don't want to buy a 25lb bag.
Posted By: bobmn Re: 38 advice - 04/02/15
woods: Check out the article "Snakestopper Loads" in the archives at gunblast.com
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 38 advice - 04/02/15
You guys may be interested in Wifeys carry load for her 38, I load the 110 gr Barnes hp's to an easy 1050 fps in her snub, no recoil and they WILL open in wet news print and water jug testing, and penetrate very well.

Descent speed and great performance imho.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: 38 advice - 04/11/15
I'm partial to lightweight centennial snubbies. With crimson trace laser grips.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire