Home
Posted By: BrandonGleason S&W 317 Airlite? - 04/25/15
In my search for a revolver for my wife (a VERY novice shooter), I've stumbled across the S&W 317 Airlites. She likes the weight and grip of my 642, just does not handle a 38 well at all. Anyone have any experience with this revolver? I'm thinking get her more accustomed to shooting with a good 22 and then step her up slowly to a 327fed or 38sp.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 04/25/15
LCR .22lr
Posted By: BrandonGleason Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 04/25/15
Sorry, I missed to add that I'd like a 3-4" barrel with adjustable sights. She shot a few snubs and she much preferred larger sights than the small fixed ones on most snubbies.
Posted By: K1500 Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 04/25/15
I have heard the triggers really suck. I wanted one at one time but couldn't get my hands on one to try the trigger.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 04/25/15
Triggers certainly not the best. They are so light it makes it hard to keep the sights steady through a D/A pull. Makes a good backpack gun.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 04/25/15
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Triggers certainly not the best. They are so light it makes it hard to keep the sights steady through a D/A pull.

My experience as well. Plus they usually bring a premium price when I see them on GunBroker.
Personally I'd take a closer look at the Ruger LCR or the SP101 with the 4" barrel and adjustable sights.
If your determined to go with a S&W, I'd but a 4" Kit Gun Model 34 with adjustable sights.
Posted By: BrandonGleason Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 04/25/15
Not entirely tied to an S&W. Had her try an sp101 38sp at the range a few months ago and she wasn't a fan of the stock grips. Easily changed, though.
An SP101 in 327fed was my initial thought for her, but I'm starting to think starting with a 22 is the way to go.
Posted By: krupp Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 04/25/15
Love mine but would never pay asking prices these days.
Paid $450 used 10 years ago and have not seen one since.

I agree with all previous statements concerning pros and cons but there is something unique about a quality .22 revolver that feels like it weighs less than an empty beer can.

BTW I dumped the tru-glo sight asap.
Posted By: BGunn Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 04/26/15
I have a 351PD in .22mag, and like it a lot...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Redleg172 Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 04/26/15
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Triggers certainly not the best. They are so light it makes it hard to keep the sights steady through a D/A pull. Makes a good backpack gun.
I definitely agree with that! I bought mine for a dispatch gun while trapping and it is pretty good for that with the light weight but for a kit gun or general knock around the woods choice, I wouldn't pick this one...
Posted By: jimmyp Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 04/26/15
get her one of those little Bersa 22 auto's to learn how to shoot, then up to a 9mm auto to carry, maybe the new G43.... Any double action revolver is going to be tougher to shoot than a single action auto, and confidence when the chips are down is what its all about. In an auto having the trigger pull the same is smarter as well, though some do relish practicing Jedi like focus to deploy double-single action devices.
Posted By: Oheremicus Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 04/26/15
The 317 has some real advantages. It's so light that one can almost forget it's riding on the hip. It is accurate, and has sights that show up in bad light.
The trigger on mine was pretty good from the factory.
The trouble is it's so light, it hard to shoot well at ranges over 15 yds. I would not recommend it for a new shooter because of that. Not unless the shooter wasn't interested in becoming much of a pistol shot.
I'd suggest finding a steel model along the same lines. E
Posted By: BrandonGleason Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 04/26/15
Originally Posted by jimmyp
get her one of those little Bersa 22 auto's to learn how to shoot, then up to a 9mm auto to carry, maybe the new G43.... Any double action revolver is going to be tougher to shoot than a single action auto, and confidence when the chips are down is what its all about. In an auto having the trigger pull the same is smarter as well, though some do relish practicing Jedi like focus to deploy double-single action devices.

Had her try a Ruger MkII and a Glock 19 on her inaugural range day last fall and she was not a fan of semi's in either caliber. She said she was more comfortable with the revolver. I wish she did like the semis, as I already have a MkII and then an HK P2000 9mm. That'd mean I could be shopping for an S&W Mountain Gun for me right now instead of something for her!
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
The 317 has some real advantages. It's so light that one can almost forget it's riding on the hip. It is accurate, and has sights that show up in bad light.
The trigger on mine was pretty good from the factory.
The trouble is it's so light, it hard to shoot well at ranges over 15 yds. I would not recommend it for a new shooter because of that. Not unless the shooter wasn't interested in becoming much of a pistol shot.
I'd suggest finding a steel model along the same lines. E

This seems to be a recurring opinion and suggestion. Sounds like I'm now on the hunt for a 63 or 617.
Posted By: K1500 Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 04/26/15
My wife chose a Model 60 Pro (3" J frame .357 with adjustable sights). I thought about getting her the 317 as an understudy but was turned off by the weight/trigger pull. She seems to do fine with my 4" 617 so there is really no need for the 317 for me.
Had a 60 Pro myself for a few years and sold it off about 4 years ago. Kicking myself, as it was a great little carry gun.

I suppose I could get a 38 and load it down as low as she'll go.....
Posted By: K1500 Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 04/26/15
^ there is that option too.
Posted By: KRD Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 04/27/15
I have a 3" 317 and think that it is great for what it is designed for. Easy to carry, and with a little range time, very accurate.
It is a great training gun for young or small people and as someone mentioned, a great practice gun if you also own a model 60 as I do.

As far as the trigger, I'm not sure what they mean when referring to it as a difficult trigger. In single action, it breaks at just over 2# with the typical S&W trigger feel. You can't get much better than that.

Agreed that shooting it in double action mode renders it as a noise maker only. But as with most double action revolvers, if you are looking for accuracy, you are going to shoot it in single action mode.
Posted By: TrueAt1stLight Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 04/27/15
I have a 317 and love it. The damn thing was so hard to find new to purchase that when one showed up new in my lgs I bought it immediately, outrageous price notwithstanding. The only issue with mine is I have the rear sight bottomed out and it still shoots high.

The only other "issue" I had with mine was the little grip and my large mitts. I put a Hogue grip on it and it's much better now.

The other challenge not related to the gun itself was finding a holster for it made of anything besides leather. I wanted to keep it somewhat protected in my front game vest pocket while grouse hunting and didn't want leather which would sponge up moisture. I finally found one that works very well, made by Blade-Tech. Ugly as all get-out but sure does the trick, and man, did I search FOREVER for a holster:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/17...d-smith-and-wesson-j-frame-3-kydex-black

-John
Posted By: k20350 Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 04/27/15
I HAD one. I am a huge S&W fan but that one i had was a lemon. I bought it immediately when i saw it as the rarity of them around here. First time to range it spit lead back into your face which then i noticed it did not lock up tight. Back to factory............ Didnt spit lead anymore as they replaced cylinder. Got looking at it and the barrel was not clocked correctly. Back again to have barrel straightened. Finally it was all good after 2 trips back to Mass. It is a very difficult revolver to shoot due to it weighing almost nothing. The fiber optic sights are also not the most precise. I had the same problem as above post sight was bottomed out and it still shot high. It is a great trapping gun due to its light weight and the short range of shots. 15 yards max for me. The fellow I sold it to uses it for that as I gave him full disclosure on it when he bought it from me. He also changed the sight out to standard sights. Again I love S&W every handgun I own except 1 is a S&W but that 317 was not my cup of tea shall we say.
Posted By: jerrywoodswalker Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 04/27/15
Originally Posted by FFemtRN5287
Had a 60 Pro myself for a few years and sold it off about 4 years ago. Kicking myself, as it was a great little carry gun.

I suppose I could get a 38 and load it down as low as she'll go.....

So you reload! That opens up the options… I'd go with a 38 or 357 and load it down. I do this for my kids and wife, while through time slowly increasing the charge.

I had a 317. Neat guns, but not a good beginners gun due to the extremely light weight. I do a lot of double action shooting, but could not shoot it double action worth a hoot (due to the weight). Other than that, I had no complaints about mine and do regret that I let it go.

If you are intent on a .22, i would look at the S&W 63. Either the new 3 inch version or the older 4 inch. The 3 inch has a fiber optic front, 8-shot cylinder and unfortunately a lock… if that matters to you.

Had a couple of Ruger SP-101's. Heavier than the Smith, but the two I've had definitely needed trigger jobs before any serious use.

Regarding .22's, See if you can even find any ammo before getting one. The shortage continues, over two years later.

Jerry
Posted By: FreeMe Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 04/27/15
I borrowed a friend's 317 for a while when they were new. The trigger is heavy - and it needs to be in order to make up for the lack of mass in the gun and provide reasonable reliability in DA mode. Fired SA, it is a perfectly usable kit gun. But not anything I'd recommend for self defense or for training a novice.

I'm not a fan of any. 22lr for self defense - but if you must go that way, I have never had a single misfire with the CCI Stinger round....even in the little Beretta m21.

If at all possible, I would go with a. 38 or .357 and get her used to soft target loads first and then move up gradually. Possibly do the same with a .327 Fed, but I have no experience with it.

My wife is intimidated by recoil and autos, but has become quite comfortable with standard .38 defense rounds from a 3" m60 after working up from target loads.
Posted By: alukban Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 04/27/15
I've got a 317-3 for sale with box and everything. PM me if interested.

I had sent it back to S&W because it went out of time and had the rear sight changed out from the V to a square notch while it was there. It has a new cylinder and shoots great!
Posted By: ColdCase1984 Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 04/27/15
Got my wife a Mk III 22/45 Lite day after Newtown. It's now got a VQ trigger/action, Hi-Viz front sight and added a set of VZ Predator Green Operator grips at The NRA National Meeting in Nashville. It's light, has a great trigger and a tack driver.

An steel barreled MK II probably felt like a brick to the OP's wife.

Get her a Tac Sol upper for the Mk II and you might be on the hunt for a Mt. Gun again.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 05/01/15
I've got a 3" 317 and it's a great trail gun; light, easy to pack and fun to shoot. But hard to shoot accurately double-action given how light the gun is relative to the trigger pull, which, common to all rimfire DA revolvers, has to be stiff enough to reliably ignite a wide range of ammunition.

All in all the 317 is a great little gun if you learn to live with its limitations and refrain from asking it to be something that it is not.
Posted By: ConradCA Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 05/01/15
Originally Posted by FFemtRN5287
In my search for a revolver for my wife (a VERY novice shooter), I've stumbled across the S&W 317 Airlites. She likes the weight and grip of my 642, just does not handle a 38 well at all. Anyone have any experience with this revolver? I'm thinking get her more accustomed to shooting with a good 22 and then step her up slowly to a 327fed or 38sp.

Have you considered a larger heavier revolver? Should tame the recoil and work if she carry's it in her purse.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: S&W 317 Airlite? - 05/02/15
Got one years ago, when they first came out..still have it. I'll echo previous posts that it's so light it's hard to shoot with precision. I've had best luck with Stingers, maybe light weight, less rifling induced torque and higher speed equals shorter barrel time??? I've never used a holster, hip pocket, jacket pocket, waders pocket, etc. Killed the unluckiest turkey in the world with it at 176 paces when I had it in my overalls pocket going out to cut fence posts one day.
© 24hourcampfire