Home
Posted By: gitem_12 Ruger night watchman 1911 - 05/23/15
i got to check one of these out today, why don't more manufacturers offer packages like this for carry guns. Factory night sights, micarta grips. Pretty decent piece for the price
Someone was selling one on the board. If I had the need I would have snatched it up.
I have looked at them a couple times and really like them. I keep thinking about the one posted here but I don't really need it.

Dink
Spoke to my best friends father in law, whom works at Ruger last week. He says they are building them as fast as they can and they still cant meet demands! i have not handled one yet, but very fine looking piece.
Posted By: RJM Re: Ruger night watchman 1911 - 05/24/15
And since this is a TALO limited edition, you wonder how many they contracted for.

Nice looking gun...hope one day they will make them in 9mm and .38 Super. Too bad .357 SIG is such a problematic feeder in 1911s...would be a great round.

Bob
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Ruger night watchman 1911 - 05/24/15
What's too bad is that more main stream manufacturers don't get their heads out of thwir azzes and put night sights on guns as a standard feature
I bought a one in January from my LGS and really like it. I don't have a lot of time to shoot right now and have only put 450-500 rounds down range but it handles great and has proven reliable so far. It's becoming one of my favorite 1911s. The price point is hard to beat with the features offered.
How are the Micarta grips?
I hope they make one in the light weight commander.

That's what keeping from trying to buy the one in the classifieds.

Dink
I've been thinking that too Dink. But i could also buy a LW ruger and ad some night sights
Originally Posted by DINK

Dink

Yep, sure would be hard to resist that version in a LW Commander.
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I've been thinking that too Dink. But i could also buy a LW ruger and ad some night sights

I have thought about this too. But by the time you buy the pistol, pay shipping (or tax), pay transfer fee, buy a set of sights, sight pusher tool,etc. you could by a smith SC commander for about the same money.

Dink
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Ruger night watchman 1911 - 05/25/15
Yea, and that smith SC is a gorgeous gun
The Micarta grips are pretty nice but a little on the slick side in my opinion. I like the G10 grips on my DW VBOB for carry but the factory Ruger grips on the Night Watchman look great on the gun. I haven't shot the Ruger since early March so I haven't been to the range in the warmer weather. If it were my everyday carry gun, I would consider a grip change.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Ruger night watchman 1911 - 05/26/15
I have looked at them a couple times and really like them. I keep thinking about the one posted here but I don't really need it.

Dink
Shame on you, you're gonna have to say some Hail Mary's for that one. If we like, we buy...we don't need a reason, we just buy. If for some reason the practical side of you just can't settle down, then you make up a reason. If you can't think of something, that's when you call on your campfire buddies (aka "enablers"), and we'll make one up for you.
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Dink
Shame on you, you're gonna have to say some Hail Mary's for that one. If we like, we buy...we don't need a reason, we just buy. If for some reason the practical side of you just can't settle down, then you make up a reason. If you can't think of something, that's when you call on your campfire buddies (aka "enablers"), and we'll make one up for you.

I agree whistle
Just in case you were still on the fence...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

PS, I have a Commander version landing in a couple weeks.
Quit it!!!!!.... grin
The only one I've actually seen & handled was a Commander size...........really nice gun for the money, not a high end gun as far as fit & finish goes, but very good nonetheless.

I don't see how anyone wanting a nice 1911 could do better for the money.

MM
Posted By: Fotis Re: Ruger night watchman 1911 - 05/31/15
Originally Posted by warpig602
Just in case you were still on the fence...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

PS, I have a Commander version landing in a couple weeks.

Darn you Warpig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Ruger night watchman 1911 - 05/31/15
I'm really considering one of the full size ones.
Has anyone published a long term test on the Ruger 1911 shooting what some may consider as high round counts that others consider just normal use?

Would like to see how accuracy and tolerances hold up.
I've got about 800-1000 rounds through my government model and all has been flawless.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Ruger night watchman 1911 - 05/31/15
I've got about 2500 through my full size SR1911 and it's slightly smoother and more accurate now than it was when I first bought it.

Dink

^^^This^^^

I played with one at my LGS, the other day, and really liked it, but the grips were a little too slick, IMO.
If it was a Lightweight Commander, I would have bought it on the spot! Maybe Ruger will pull their head out and make a run in the Lightweight Commander version, SOON!
Glad to hear that they seem to age well.

Night Watchman in a lightweight commander is what I am holding out for.

Dink

Sig C3 is a Lightweight Commander, night sights, Crimson Trace Laser Grips for right at $800 or less. Paid $770 new for mine when it was on sale. I carry it everyday.
© 24hourcampfire