Home
Posted By: krupp Chamber check.... - 06/19/15
I am always doing a chamber check once a day ( no chit, guns are always loaded) but the mindset was beat into me with a stick.
Now I have never had a case separation or failure due to a dented primer from preforming chamber checks for years. But is there a chance?

I am being a worry wart or has anyone had a failure like I described....
Posted By: RJM Re: Chamber check.... - 06/19/15
..why would you have one of those just by doing a chamber check...

Bob
Posted By: gmoats Re: Chamber check.... - 06/19/15
….pretty sure we need a definition of "chamber check" if you're thinking that it dents the primer or can induce case separation……describe your procedure for checking the chamber…..
Posted By: lastround Re: Chamber check.... - 06/19/15
Yep, explanation needed......
Posted By: krupp Re: Chamber check.... - 06/19/15
Sorry, left everyone hanging out to dry. Carry an old Glock 23
and my procedure is grasping the rear portion of the slide and pulling it back a 1/4 of an inch to check the loaded chamber.
I was told by a gunsmith that this will lead to dented primers and case separation.

News to me.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Chamber check.... - 06/19/15
A gunsmith may well be one of the best gunsmiths ever - and still say something occasionally bordering upon the bizarre.

Especially the old eccentric ones,
Posted By: deflave Re: Chamber check.... - 06/19/15
Originally Posted by krupp
Sorry, left everyone hanging out to dry. Carry an old Glock 23
and my procedure is grasping the rear portion of the slide and pulling it back a 1/4 of an inch to check the loaded chamber.
I was told by a gunsmith that this will lead to dented primers and case separation.

News to me.

Find a new gunsmith.

Travis
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: Chamber check.... - 06/19/15
Your version of a chamber check matches mine amd i wouldnt fret it. Only concern i would have for setback is if a guy unloaded every night and reloaded by slide release daily.

A simple press check womt harm shcitt.
Posted By: Dan_Chamberlain Re: Chamber check.... - 06/20/15
First of all, it won't happen, but I change the chambered round every week. It comes out of the chamber, and goes into the range box. A fresh round is chambered and the mag topped off.
Posted By: 41magfan Re: Chamber check.... - 06/20/15
I realize this isn't relevant for everyone but having worked and trained in a "hot range" environment for over 35 years I find chamber checking (and frequent loading and unloading) to be a gratuitous practice that too often leads to mishaps.

Guns that are always under my control don't need to be repeatedly chamber checked to confirm readiness.

What I do routinely find concerning is the reality that a "pinch check" - if done incorrectly - will only reveal that a piece of brass is in the chamber, not a loaded round.

To make this point in training, I've taken an officer's gun and surreptitiously chamber loaded a piece of empty brass and then handed the gun back to the shooter. The majority retract the slide just enough to see brass and assume the gun is loaded. If you're going to do it - at least make sure you're doing it properly.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Chamber check.... - 06/20/15
Load the thing, check it, holster and go about your business. Repeatedly monkeying with it is asking for trouble and there's no point in it.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Chamber check.... - 06/20/15
Originally Posted by 41magfan
....To make this point in training, I've taken an officer's gun and surreptitiously chamber loaded a piece of empty brass and then handed the gun back to the shooter. The majority retract the slide just enough to see brass and assume the gun is loaded. If you're going to do it - at least make sure you're doing it properly.

Sure, you can play those kind of reindeer games on the range. Having a spent casing in the chamber of semiauto is only going to happen in the event of a malfunction, broken extractor, etc.

A quick press-check when you are 'saddling up' is never a bad idea in my opinion.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Chamber check.... - 06/20/15
Several of my carry pistols have a 'loaded chamber indicator'. Don't have to chamber check those. My revolvers are easy to see if they are loaded.
My 1911 and my Glock have no indicator, so I do check those from time to time. Rule of thumb is that if the pistol is loaded, the chamber is full. I hardly ever deviate from that rule.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Chamber check.... - 06/20/15
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by 41magfan
....To make this point in training, I've taken an officer's gun and surreptitiously chamber loaded a piece of empty brass and then handed the gun back to the shooter. The majority retract the slide just enough to see brass and assume the gun is loaded. If you're going to do it - at least make sure you're doing it properly.

Sure, you can play those kind of reindeer games on the range. Having a spent casing in the chamber of semiauto is only going to happen in the event of a malfunction, broken extractor, etc.

A quick press-check when you are 'saddling up' is never a bad idea in my opinion.

Exactly.

Has anyone ever seen a piece of brass fail to extract, but still remain perfectly chambered? I've seen them stovepipe and doublefeed, but never just stay perfectly chambered.
© 24hourcampfire