Home
Posted By: gitem_12 Thoughts on Springfield 1911s - 07/19/15
I'm looking for a 1911. I really like the options on the "loaded model"
But have a few questions to those of you who own them, or are 1911 saavy

•how do they stack up against Kimbers etc?

• any major common issues witj Springfields, such as FTFs, finicky regarding magazines, and such?

Some other basic things i'm looking for

I'm not necessarily concerned with commander lwngth over Govt length-3/4 inch les in length just doesn't seem like big deal to me

Night sights are a must

I'm not concerned about alloy frame versus steel either

Springfields and Kimbers aren't Commander-length (4.25"). They are 4 inch barrels.
We've had several in our rental program for years without a problem. Springfield has moved production of all 1911's in-house. That's why they've reduced their number of models.
I have a couple of Springfield's and had no failures to feed or fire. The loaded model is a good choice IMHO.
The Loaded model with tritium sights is a very nice gun for the money, & in IMO, is better out-of-the box than most Kimbers are.

I don't have a loaded, but I do have a TRP (& Kimber & another 10 1911's) & it's a fabulous shooting gun that's smooth as glass, though a fair amount more $$ than a Loaded. Do yourself a favor & at least look at a TRP.

MM
I really can't justify the cost of a Kimber right now, although I do like that Master carry series. The Loaded, with Tritiums is the one i'm thinking of

It's going to be my wedding gift from me
I bought a Lightweight Loaded Bi-tone when I GFY'ed myself, too......
I'd say for the money, the Springfield Loaded models are the best 1911 on the market, today.
I own lots of 1911's from Les Baer, Colts, Kimbers, STI's, Spingfields, and various other Mfg's.
The one I shoot the most is my Sprinfield Loaded Model. It's ultra- reliable and has put many thousands of rounds downrange with never a hitch of any kind. And it's almost as accurate as my Les Baer 1911.

Buy the Springfield, and never look back, is my best advice. You won't regret it, IMO.
Originally Posted by gitem_12

It's going to be my wedding gift from me

Then what's another $400 bucks or so?.........don't skimp, get the Springfield TRP & never look back.

MM
gitem, I got a TRP last year and hot rodded it up a bit. It's a really nice gun. I've maybe maybe got $1700 in it now, the way it sits. I can't see a Wilson being another $1400-1800 better than this gun.

I also have 2 Kimbers, both nice guns. One govt and one Commander. I've lathered them up, too.

Like 'em all, but I'd take the TRP hands down, given a choice.

I can send you pics of all three, if you need more help making a decision. TRP is blued. Kimbers are Classic Stainless and Classic Stainless II. No external ejectors.
[Linked Image]

I've owned a Loaded Model for a number of years now. No FTF, FTE, etc. No issues whatsoever. They are a good gun and I recommend them without hesitation. I have never owned a Kimber due to considering them to be too high-dollar for what I thought you were getting with one. So I can't comment on Springfield vs. Kimber.

Other than that, I've owned probably a half-dozen Springfields over the years and never had an issue with any of them.

[Linked Image]
I've owed and worked on a couple of Mil Specs that had barrel problems, either poorly finished ramps or fixture dents that showed through in the rifling.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/springfields-mil-spec-1911a1/

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/springfield-milspec-problem-child-2012-edition/

Worked over a Loaded Black Stainless for a cop buddy, barrel was just OK in that one but not up to the quality of Colt OEM barrels.

My favorite Springfield was an old 1911A1 from the late 80's. I honestly think you'll be happier if you buy a Trophy Match or TRP from the outset.

Originally Posted by UPhiker

Springfields and Kimbers aren't Commander-length (4.25"). They are 4 inch barrels.
We've had several in our rental program for years without a problem. Springfield has moved production of all 1911's in-house. That's why they've reduced their number of models.

Are you saying that all Springfield 1911's are now made in the USA instead of Brazil? Just asking...........

I've seen some Springers that needed tuning to run, out of the box, which annoys the hell out of me with any pistol. But IMO they have a better batting average than Kimber, so if you like it, go for it. I think Colt, Dan Wesson and maybe S&W are better, but will probably cost more.
If I wanted a 1911 it would probably be a Springfield.

Travis
My only 'shooter' 1911, is a Springfield 1911 A1 GI.
To me it's perfect.

> http://sgcusa.com/images/large/SA_1911_GI.45_Parkerized_PW9108LP_A.jpg <
I see a lot less Springfields come across my bench in need of repair than I do Kimbers. The newer guns are simply great products. I've had the chance to shoot a couple of Range Officers after doing trigger work on them and they have been very accurate pistols. The frame to slide fit on the newer guns is generally very good for a production gun and all the bushings and barrels I've fooled with have been a good fit as well.
you might want to take a look at the Spfd.XDM i just bought one, they were designed by a Match competition shooter. i like mine it shoots real well with that 5.5 competition barrel. Can be purchased for under $700
Originally Posted by lastround

Are you saying that all Springfield 1911's are now made in the USA instead of Brazil? Just asking...........

Yeah, frames aren't stamped "Imbel Brasil" and all the serial numbers start with "NM". I noticed it and the next time a Springfield rep came into the shop, he confirmed it. That's why they got rid of the cheaper GI models and others.
G. I have a plain jane model, and it has never give me any issues.. Also have a Para it is a bit more touchy with handloads..
the Springfield is my favorite..
I've had a Kimber TLE for over ten years now (about 13 I think), and it was a great pistol at the time for the money. I'm not impressed enough with today's Kimbers at today's prices however, and would buy a Springfield if starting over. I'd then send it to Sprinfield's custom shop for any repairs or upgrades I wanted.

Option#2, I'd buy a new Les Baer (I did) or a lightly used Wilson Combat if funds were strong.
Springfield doesn't make a commander length. Closest they have is a four inch barrel.

That said, Springfields are solid 1911s, and I've had two Kimbers in the past, but have none now. Reliability issues. My stainless Mil Spec Springfield is second in line among my regular carry guns, and when not being carried, sits loaded as my second house gun. Solid as a rock. No issues.

Now I once had a Springer with an issue (one bought in the early 1990s), but Springfield fixed it 100%. Only reason I recently sold it was because I prefer the set up on the Mil Spec over that of the Loaded models.
Best Factory 1911 out there
I have two Springfield's. This one is from their custom shop, and now wears a rail and a Surefire X300 light
[Linked Image]
The other is one of their loaded models, much modified, and also has a light. My son takes care of it for me
If deflave was going to buy me a 1911, it would be a Springfield.
Originally Posted by huntsman22

And he would buy it from Shrapnel.

You are marrying Flave?
I will propose after he gets me the Springer.
Originally Posted by tjm10025

And he would buy steal borrow it from Shrapnel while Shrapnel was in the head.
You might also get some .22's while you're at it.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by tjm10025

And he would buy steal borrow liberate it from Shrapnel while Shrapnel was in the head.
You might also get some .22's while you're at it.
Best fix.
Posted By: swag Re: Thoughts on Springfield 1911s - 07/21/15
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Springfield doesn't make a commander length. Closest they have is a four inch barrel.

That said, Springfields are solid 1911s, and I've had two Kimbers in the past, but have none now. Reliability issues. My stainless Mil Spec Springfield is second in line among my regular carry guns, and when not being carried, sits loaded as my second house gun. Solid as a rock. No issues.

Now I once had a Springer with an issue (one bought in the early 1990s), but Springfield fixed it 100%. Only reason I recently sold it was because I prefer the set up on the Mil Spec over that of the Loaded models.

TRH,

I recently picked up a brand new Mil-Spec and it's my first Springfield. I really like it. Very tight and a good trigger. I recently started to get FTE on the last round about 30% of the time. The extractor isn't clocking but seems like it needs a tweak. I am waiting for some new mags to come to try before sending it in. Just curious if your issue was similar?

Matt
Swag,

I am aware of a number of Springfield OEM extractors losing their tension withing 900-2500 rounds. I replace them with Brown extractors, a full dimension firing pin stop and I haven't been sorry yet.
Originally Posted by swag

TRH,

I recently picked up a brand new Mil-Spec and it's my first Springfield. I really like it. Very tight and a good trigger. I recently started to get FTE on the last round about 30% of the time. The extractor isn't clocking but seems like it needs a tweak. I am waiting for some new mags to come to try before sending it in. Just curious if your issue was similar?

Matt
No, my issue was a failure to fully chamber a round. Sounds like you're right, I.e., yours needs an extractor tweaking. Let Springfield have it and they will fix it right up.
Matt: what did you do to get your chambering prob. fixed? How long did it take?
My Springfield WWII model would not run for crap in its stock form. After a throat job and trigger work it has been 100%, but it was a crude mess from the factory.

For the record, I would take a new Colt over a new Springfield. The new Colts I have seen have been very nicely done.
I'd take a Colt over a Springfield as well; having had both.
I've narrowed it down to either a Springer or a Sig traditional model
Nothing wrong with the Sig 1911's, but with a Springfield RO or Loaded model, I think you get a little more bang for your buck. And I actually like the S&W 1911's a little better than the Sig's.
I've had a couple of the Sigs and they have been fantastically accurate
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
My Springfield WWII model would not run for crap in its stock form. After a throat job and trigger work it has been 100%, but it was a crude mess from the factory.

For the record, I would take a new Colt over a new Springfield. The new Colts I have seen have been very nicely done.
Isn't Colt getting ready to close its doors?
I really really like the S&W scandium commander, but It's probably out of my price range
Are you getting married, or what? Make her chip in, if the love is true......If you're going to be the protector, convince her you need it to be the protector she deserves.....
scratch that idea. You might be a good protector, but you'll suck as a provider......
better get a RIA......
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Isn't Colt getting ready to close its doors?
Maybe...so get 'em while they're hot. Once Colt's is gone, watch values skyrocket!! Good LAWD look what Pythons are going for these days...And there's nothing rare about a Python. On any day I can find a good 50+ for sale in most any configuration you can imagine...just boggles.
I bought one of those springfield wWII models when they first came out. Ditched the handguards, and put a set of real WWII handguards on it, and it has given me zero issues. But that's just one pistol.
I bought it at the time not wanting to fire the real WWII versions.
I have only had one issue with 45acp not chambering. That is using a 200gr swc set to far out and the ledge on the side was catching. Had the over all length wrong. Friend of mine will only use the ball rounds as that was what it was designed for, feeling those will work in just about everything, which is true.
Except when you have cast up a ton of thos H&G68 swc's.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I have only had one issue with 45acp not chambering. That is using a 200gr swc set to far out and the ledge on the side was catching. .

I seat 'em with the radius just past the case mouth. No worries. That is a good bullet.
So, i think if I chop back my fall goose decoy order I may be able to swing the Smith Sc, and some decoys...
The S&W Scandiums are nice! I know several guys that have one and they absolutely love em!
I really like the look of them. Just cant decide stainless or blued

But I need decoys too

Original plan was to order another 10-12 dozen dexoys in OCT
I bought a 5" Range Officer brand new not long after they first came out. Love it. No problems. No regrets. It's the first Springfield I've owned. All of my other 1911's have been Colt's.
Originally Posted by lastround

After reading this ,I decided to tear my SF 1911-A1 down to have a look see. Nowhere does it say "Made In Brazil". Genesco,Il. Bought new in 1993.
Looked at one of the Smith enhanced SS1911s today. I think tgat is the one im after

Good looks

Reasonable price

Good reviews

Just needs night sights
'tgat' is kinda what I used this AM.....

[Linked Image]
Nice...

This is the one i'm looking at

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire