Home
Posted By: alukban Glock sight picture? - 07/20/15
What is the correct sight picture for factory Glock sights with "regular" factory ammo, say something like 9mm Remington UMC?

I'm assuming that you just align the tops of the sights and use the top of the front post as the POA but I'm getting POI = -1.5" at 10y frown

TIA for any help.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Glock sight picture? - 07/20/15
Try a heavier bullet
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Glock sight picture? - 07/20/15
Align top of sights... Use dot as point of aim
Posted By: alukban Re: Glock sight picture? - 07/20/15
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Align top of sights... Use dot as point of aim

Dang it!

That's what I've heard elsewhere but I read up on it and found that was considered wrong according to pics in the Glock manual.

Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Glock sight picture? - 07/20/15
That didn't work on my Gen 4 26 either. Found if the dot is centered in the rear notch it raised poi 1- 1 1/2" even though the front blade is a smidge above the rear blade.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Glock sight picture? - 07/20/15
Aline them the way you hit the bull the best. Most people don't look at the sights the same way . Aline them for what works the best for the way you shoot .
Posted By: jimjr Re: Glock sight picture? - 07/20/15
Read that you align top of front sight with top of rear which causes about 1/3 of dot on front sight to be obscured by rear sight and this should be on target but not all guns shoot alike.
Posted By: alukban Re: Glock sight picture? - 07/20/15
Yup, that's exactly about what I see. I guess I could just "reveal the dot" and see where that POi goes.

I also could just file away a bit off the front sight with an emery board. For the 5.2" sight radius of the G43, I calculate that I would need to remove a measly 0.025" from the front sight to raise the POI at 10y by 1.75". It hardly seems worth it - that it would make any difference at all. That's less than 1/32"!
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Glock sight picture? - 07/21/15
Originally Posted by alukban
What is the correct sight picture for factory Glock sights with "regular" factory ammo, say something like 9mm Remington UMC?

I'm assuming that you just align the tops of the sights and use the top of the front post as the POA but I'm getting POI = -1.5" at 10y frown

TIA for any help.

[Linked Image]

I just put Tru-Glo's on my new one. It similarly is shooting low. I was shooting at 25 yards and was about 5" low. I too was using 115 gr Remington JHP from Walmart.

I shoot a lot of it in my G-26, G-19 and PF-9 as well. They all shoot the same load to point of aim with the front sight even with the rear. with the load or close enough the way I shoot.

I ended up holding the front dot on top of the rear sight to get in the bull. I want a better long term solution.

The Tru-glo's don't allow much filing [maybe on the bottom]. My G-42 shoots to point of aim with the same sights using 90 gr FTX FWIW.

Running a different load for one of four 9mm's is inconvenient at best. the 147 gr loads can be hard to come by in times of shortages in particular.

I hope someone can come up with something better.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Glock sight picture? - 07/21/15
Dawson Precision will help you figure out what height front sight you need. You can get a sight set or just the front sight. $25 for plain black, $40 for fiber optic and $50 for tritium.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHTS+FRONT
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Glock sight picture? - 07/21/15
the trigger pull weight in my 43 seems to be set higher than a 26 and the 43 is lighter..., so I wonder as mine seems to shoot low as well, unless I focus could it be me and the trigger...does shoot a nice 10 shot group however just low and too the left. smile
Posted By: alukban Re: Glock sight picture? - 07/21/15
In thinking about it some more, it really isn't a problem.

I want to aim the thing like I do all my other handguns: tops of sights aligned with a center hold.

If shooting low, file down the front sight.

If shooting high, file down the rear sight.

Again, we're talking about 0.6 mm here. The plastic sights are easy enough to file and, in my case, it will put the bottom of the front factory dot more properly in the rear notch.

Posted By: supercrewd Re: Glock sight picture? - 07/21/15
I think I remember Glocks are regulated at 6 o'clock.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Glock sight picture? - 07/21/15
Lay the white dot on top of the intended target. Shoot 147 gr. ammo, problem solved.
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Glock sight picture? - 07/21/15
Thanks! I will give it a try.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Glock sight picture? - 07/21/15
Originally Posted by MOGC
Lay the white dot on top of the intended target. Shoot 147 gr. ammo, problem solved.

This worked for me also.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Glock sight picture? - 07/21/15
tks for that link Blue, if it ever opens!
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Glock sight picture? - 07/21/15
it opened

different strokes for different folks, but my preference is standard sight on the rear and only tritium on the front

KISS
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Glock sight picture? - 07/21/15
That's what I prefer too. I set a Glock up like that with Dawson sights.
Posted By: alukban Re: Glock sight picture? - 07/21/15
Me three smile

I went with the Defoor Proformance sights from Ameriglo because there is more room between the Tritium vial and the top of the sight in case I need to file on it.

Part# GT-517 for the G42/43:
https://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/special-combinations

[Linked Image]

Also, from what I understand, Defoor designed these sights to work as regular, all black sights because that is his preference, i.e. top of front post for center hold. The Tritium dot is just for night and up close.
Posted By: okie john Re: Glock sight picture? - 07/28/15
In shooting ~25k rounds out of 9mm Glocks in the last few years, I've found that they rarely shoot where they should with factory sights. They're OK some of the time, but the rest of the time you'll need new sights. I also find that they shift in windage if you switch to a different bullet weight.

Okie John
© 24hourcampfire