Home
I have been recording Ruger Maximum serial numbers since the mid 80's. Been trying to determine ratio of barrel lengths, variation changes, etc., etc. Ruger produced 16,314 Maximums from completed guns to serialized frames. They then went on to destroy, to use their terminology, "scrapped", over 5000 guns. Once again, from completed guns to serialized frames. If you got one and wouldn't mind sharing the number with me, drop me a PM. Even if it has been converted, let me know that and the number. Below are some pics of the 7 1/2 front sight height variation. You can very clearly see the difference. If you send me a 7 1/2 serial number please indicate if it is "high" or "low" Thanks for lookin', Coogs. Mods if you feel this is not in the right forum, please feel free to move it, Thanks.
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]
BTT
Someone out there owns a Max, don't they? Coogs.
October bump
September is here!
Musta been a good day (or Night) Shoulda posted November, NOT September, what the heck was I thinkin'!!
What exactly is a Ruger Maximum?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_Remington_Maximum

Mine.

[Linked Image]
I didn't understand that a Ruger Maximum is identical to a 357 Remington Maximum. I own a 357 Rem Max pistol. Who knew?
The .357 Remington Maximum is the round. Ruger and Remington collaborated on it's development. The Ruger Maximum I refer to is the firearm itself. Coogs.
December BTT, Christmas is coming! Coogs
Missed January, February now! Coogs.
March BTT.
Some of the SRM guns were returned to Ruger after being sold.
I was eyeballing one in a California shop when they first came out, and the dealer told me it wasn't for sale. It had been recalled, and he was sending it back.

Tony Rumore
Tromix
Need some more numbers, Please! Coogs.
I don't have one, but here's some info..

Guns designed for the .357 Maximum were built on a larger frame than their predecessors. Although Ruger only made 7700 Blackhawks chambered in .357 Maximum, the frame size has been used as a base-gun to build bigger revolvers in .445 SuperMag and both the .475 and .500 Linebaugh Long/Maximum.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_Remington_Maximum
I have read that wiki listing before, but, it is wrong. Ruger DID produce 16,314 completed guns and/or serialized frames. When all the hoopla started about the top strap cutting and forcing cone erosion, Ruger ceased shipments. They did "scrap" over 5000 completed guns and/or serialized frames. 7700 may have been a misprint of some info as it has been stated in the past that that is how many of one barrel length were made. Coogs.
well, here's one!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=548590896

grin
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Schitte! I gave $325 for mine in 2006 at a Houston show where a gent was walking around trying to sell his father's 357 Mag...
Saw that one.........don't think it will fetch that much today, but they will get there in the near future. Coogs.
April Fool's day bump!
BTT, just keepin' it fresh. Coogs.
May BTT
June bump!!!!
July bump......................
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/service/productHistory/RE-NMBhawk357Max.html
That chart is just a "little" off. Through may research, and many hours on the phone with Ruger records I have not found one Maxi that was produced in 1984,.........yet. The highest serial number Max out there is 600-11588 and was produced in March of 1983. About 300 or so Maxi's below that number were also produced in March of 1983. There were a total of 16,314 Maxi's produced, completed guns and/or serialized frames. Ruger "scrapped" everything above #600-11588 as well as several blocks of numbers below that. I figure that less than 11,000 ever shipped. They way they are cutting them up into hand cannons these days it makes for a very collectable piece. JMHO, Coogs.
August BTT
September already................need them numbers!
October BTT
Still be a lookin'
Here's mine:

[Linked Image]

Purchased new for IHMSA Metallic Silhouette competition. This is the 10" barreled Silhouette model, it is equipped with the OEM undercut Patridge target front sight, not the ramp style as your photos show. Serial Number is 600-02692. I did a trigger job and used it for years in competition, winning matches along the way. It was capable of 3/4" 10 shot groups at 50 yards from a rest using Sierra Silhouette bullets and W-680 powder.

This is one of, if not the most accurate revolver(s) I ever shot, period. Elgin Gates noted that Bill Ruger refused to follow his advise to lengthen the cylinder another 0.125" which would have eliminated the top strap and forcing cone erosion, as did Dan Wesson. However the frame erosion problem was largely hokum generated by gun writers of the day, as it stopped at around 0.050" depth and was inconsequential. Forcing cone erosion is problematic with any magnum revolver, loaded to high pressures especially with ball powders. The top strap erosion on this revolver is not more than a scratch. I just purchased a new lot of Starline .357 Maximum brass to put this revolver back into service as an accompaniment to my varmint hunts, as I carry pig tags. Originally, I used Federal brass made for IHMSA and stamped accordingly, but for some reason of nostalgia I don't want to shoot it up:

[Linked Image]
Missed for a while............February BTT
March BTT
April BTT..................
Still lookin' fer them numbers!
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/642830890
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/643627017
Thanks for the heads up!
June already!
Still lookin' fer more numbers!!!!
August BTT......................
September BTT
October BTT
December BTT
January BTT.......................
Still lookin' fer more numbers!
April BTT
July BTT
btt
BTT.......
BTT.................
I owned one had a 7 1/2 barrel, back in 1989, just found an old list I had from back then Ser# 600-06153 I dont rember what the front sight was! Im in Michigan, was sold to a friend of my dads that collected Rugers. He was getting ready to move to Florida! Hope it helps your List!
Saddlering......yes it does....and thanks for the number!
Still lookin' for more numbers!
© 24hourcampfire