Home
Posted By: Steelhead Making Snake Shotshells???? - 08/23/15
For a 45ACP revolver. Think of using 45 Colt or 454 Casull.

Since the rim is thinner than AR, do you think they will work? I know I'll have to neck them down for the chamber, perhaps a 'little' negative headspace if the rim isn't thick enough?

I know of making it with 308 brass, but I'd like loads without using the moonclips.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Resize as normal. Load the case with powder and a thin card over powder and the appropriate amount of shot. Over shot card and elmers glue bead around the rim. Keep the loads light, to preclude having the shot push through the over shot card.
Bristoe has probably got a recipe for such a creature. He's a tinkerer of the highest order. I'd say he milled a jig to turn 303 British brass into 45 Auto Rim snake shot.
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Resize as normal. Load the case with powder and a thin card over powder and the appropriate amount of shot. Over shot card and elmers glue bead around the rim. Keep the loads light, to preclude having the shot push through the over shot card.

Resize what as normal?

Posted By: jwp475 Re: Making Snake Shotshells???? - 08/23/15

The cases
Posted By: viking Re: Making Snake Shotshells???? - 08/23/15
Yeah, if a guy could get 12 shot cheaply and not have to buy a 50 lb bag. That would be the way to go.

I would use milk jug cardboard, and hot glue..
Originally Posted by jwp475

The cases

What [bleep] cases? The 45 Colt? 454 Casull?
Don't know how much cylinder length you have but if you have enough left, you could trim LC brass back to the chamber length you need, then seat the following filled with your choice of shot:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/682652/speer-empty-shot-capsules-45-colt-long-colt-box-of-25

Would give you the rim and extra shot...as long as the cylinder length is good. Would think the trimmed to ACP brass length would be fine for holding the small powder and shot capsule.

All just a guess....I load shot for .357 and have done 10mm just filling brass, but not ACP or LC.
Posted By: viking Re: Making Snake Shotshells???? - 08/23/15
I have a few 45 acp shot shells, I just remembered. They have a heavy role crimp, a clear like glue holding everything in place. No capsules.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Making Snake Shotshells???? - 08/23/15
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by jwp475

The cases

What [bleep] cases? The 45 Colt? 454 Casull?

Either one.
I can't help with the case, but I made some for the .38 special using #8 shot and using gas checks over the powder, and a paper wad over the lead. I used calking to hold the paper in place. They pattern good enough for snake shooting at the short distances that they should be used for snakes, and penetrate very good. I have seen on the net where they just put the calking directly over the lead shot, but I did not try that. It would make one large projectile, I would think, that would do damdage if it hit. I would also think that it would be kinda like a Frisbee and go to unknown places. I think Rocky has some info on making snake shot in a .45 but I could be thinking of somebody else. miles
Posted By: bobmn Re: Making Snake Shotshells???? - 08/23/15
Steel: On gunblast.com archives there are 2 articles on snake loads. The loads are for 38 special but the principles can easily be adapted to other calibers. The unique thing about their loads is they use an appropriate diameter lead round ball over the shot instead of an over shot card. No glue involved.
Hey, steely. Try wire fleshettes instead of shot. Thank me later.
Steely,

I'd be very surprised if the thinner rim on the Colt or Casull didn't cause you to have misfires (.060 vs .089").

I'd do .308 and 1/3 moon clips.
Steelhead, unless you're real anxious to "roll your own," CCI makes a .45 ACP Shotshell. They come in a pack of ten. On the back of the pack it reads, ".45 Auto Shotshell, 1/3 oz., #9 shot"

A couple packs of those ought to handle quite a few snakes in your yard.

L.W.
"45 Auto shotshell is not intended for revolvers"

Supposedly will lock up cylinder.
Roger that, they will lock up a revolver. Guess I'll give the 308 a go.
Roger that, they will lock up a revolver. Guess I'll give the 308 a go.

I did not realize they would lock up a revolver. I've only used them in my Colt's Lightweight Commander. Took care of two rattlesnakes right quick.

L.W.
Primers back out.
You're too practical to be asking this question.

Travis
I've shot 10 of them in my Blackhawk. No cylinder lockup.
Posted By: RelodR Re: Making Snake Shotshells???? - 08/23/15
I wonder if one could load 45 colt speer shotshell capsules in 45 auto rim brass? The only problem(s) would be the - col of the long capsule - and seating deep into the ar brass - and the chamber length of the 45 auto revolver. I will see if I have any empty AR brass - know I have a few shot capsules.
Originally Posted by websterparish47
I've shot 10 of them in my Blackhawk. No cylinder lockup.

Nice, but that's a different beast. You also can't run Auto Rim brass in the ACP cylinder.
Do a Google search on using .308 brass. There are videos on using standard dies.
True. As a convertible could probably use the Colt cylinder with the AR brass. No?
Posted By: k20350 Re: Making Snake Shotshells???? - 08/23/15
Handloader magazine a few years back had a great article on this. One of the few articles it did not involving the .45 Colt or an obsolete cowboy cartridge.
Some interesting info...

http://www.ammochannel.com/45-acp-shotshells-handloaded/
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Making Snake Shotshells???? - 08/24/15
Have you checked the CCI shot capsule for fit in your AR brass? The inside taper of the case might stop you, and so might OAL, but it'd be a very painless way to make ammo if you could swing it.
I've no desire to mess with the plastic shot capsules.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Making Snake Shotshells???? - 08/24/15
Roger
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Making Snake Shotshells???? - 08/24/15

Steelhead PM DocRocket he posted an excellent primer here a year or so ago on making shot loads.
Posted By: RWE Re: Making Snake Shotshells???? - 08/24/15
a primer on shot loads.

Get it?

anyway:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6386432/1
I once did the shortened .308 brass trick to make .45ACP shotshells, back in the late 80's. Heavy roll crimped with an RCBS crimping die, thin card over-shot wad, #9 shot as I recall. I used thin cork head gasket material to cut over powder wads. The first couple I applied some clear nail polish to seal the works, the last few I skipped that and it didn't seem to matter. I didn't load them hot enough to cycle my 1911 Colt- should work ok in a revolver though.

The thing with shooting shot out of a rifled barrel is patterns will truly suck. One way to mitigate that to a degree is to go with as heavy a shot charge as possible, and drive it as slow as possible and still get sufficient penetration to kill a snake (and it doesn't take much).

I have lived most of my adult life in copperhead infested areas. (I got struck twice, and luckily had boots on both times that deflected the bites. One of my dogs wasn't so lucky.) I took to carrying either a .22 or .32 revolver and dispatched more of them than I can remember, with "ball" ammo. More often than not it meant multiple shots to hit the wriggling bast*rds, but I always triumphed. I hate those C*cksuckers.

If you want a double handful of #9 shot, Scot, I'll send you some. I'm not shooting much skeet these days and can let some go!
I've decided, since the wife will NEVER use this gun, I'll stick with the SWC's and shoot heads off.
Good call, meatball.
I've decided, since the wife will NEVER use this gun, I'll stick with the SWC's and shoot heads off.

If it works don't try to fix it. I believe you have already proved the 38 does the job rather nicely.
size case,
put powder/primer in
cut with a sharpened mouth of a case some little round circles from a steyrafoam cup, serves as wad to hold powder.
place over powder.
pour shot in
another foam circle to hold in place
hot glue that in postion.
shot load for revolver.
i personally like no 12 shot, which i bought on line. throws a dense pattern really chews them up.
I have used the platic speer cups, but they aren't needed.
cutting the .308 is too much work.
I have the RCBS die set for making 45 Auto shotshells from 308 brass, don't know how they'd do in a revolver but they cycle a 1911 just fine.

One thing I learned that helps shot patterns a lot is using cut down .410 shot cups instead of just filling the case with shot. You can't get as much shot in there, but patterns are generally more uniform.

These do take a lot of experimentation with different powders to find good patterns though; some do much better than others but that probably varies with different guns.
Posted By: CraigD Re: Making Snake Shotshells???? - 08/24/15
Steelhead - Between this thread and one by DocRocket from April of 2012, my vole infestation may have a happy ending.

Pretty much the entire intermountain west has been infested with voles and you two have provided the incentive to retreat to the man cave for the development of snake/vole.mice loads. I can see a vole safari in the near future.
Originally Posted by Yondering
I have the RCBS die set for making 45 Auto shotshells from 308 brass, don't know how they'd do in a revolver but they cycle a 1911 just fine.

One thing I learned that helps shot patterns a lot is using cut down .410 shot cups instead of just filling the case with shot. You can't get as much shot in there, but patterns are generally more uniform.

These do take a lot of experimentation with different powders to find good patterns though; some do much better than others but that probably varies with different guns.

i use the .410 shot cups in .45colt where you shove the shotcup in over the powder, then just trim the wings to the case mouth.
Also used an inverted .44gas check at the front as a cap sealed with hot glue. All of those ideas work. Venturino's article in handloader talked about making these, but i believe without pulling the article to be sure, his comment was the 12shot gave you a much more dense cloud. I do know these things work on arizona rattlers, and i will be carrying a .44next week during dove season, or a .45colt for that purpose.
© 24hourcampfire