Home
We have had lots of talk about our favorites, with 1911s, Glocks and M&Ps seeming to be Campfire pistoleros top choices.

If you were not able, for whatever reason to carry your favorite G19/17 or 5" government Model or LW Commander, what would you rock?

Personally I am a fan of trigger systems that are as consistent as possible, hence my love for well tuned 1911 and Glock triggers. I will refrain from naming my personal runner up for a bit, as I am curious if anyone will either name it as theirs, or guess.

Hint,

For me it is not a new design, but new variations of the old design abound, and only money (the little tricycle motors/ rug rats are expensive) keeps me from acquiring a good number of them.

.And yes I know I contradict myself about not caring for traditional DA/SA designs after just trading into the Old School Cool S&W 645. cool
If I couldn't carry a Glock for some reason, it'd be a Sig Sauer.

Sig DAK of some kind.

Springfield XD
I'd prefer an M&P. But if you handed me a Glock, Sig320, VPwhatever, or whatever other plastic wonder...I wouldn't care much.

The more I shoot, the less I care what I shoot.
Browning Hi-Power
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I'd prefer an M&P. But if you handed me a Glock, Sig320, VPwhatever, or whatever other plastic wonder...I wouldn't care much.

There is a whole lotta truth in that. I have observed that after shooting a revolver in DA mode, trigger management of pretty much any semi auto, DAO, SAO, DA/SA is less of a big deal than it used to be.
I like my Sig's.
The 40 226 is fine if I wear enough cloths to conceal it, the 380 for something just to slip in a pocket.
[Linked Image]
...and that is why I teach everyone how to shoot a DA revolver DA... Once you mater that all the rest are easy... And think about it, aren't all the listed actions basically some form of DA.... Even the striker fired guns have a shot take up much like a DA...

As to the original question...if it isn't a 1911 it makes no difference. I did my Retired LEO Qual with Glock 19 and a S&W 6906 but could have been just as happy with a SIG 229 or Kahr...

I guess I'd take a Kahr, but it's about like asking a 13 year old what his favorite Scotch is.

I peek in here to learn what you savvy handgunners know

I already know what I know and it ain't all that much about handguns
I have had quite a long love affair with a police german tradin sig P6. That is being tested these days with a CZ75c.
There are other players, but mostly those two. I should include a 19 in two inch barrel. that is a smith I should add. Can't seem to break a 40year relationship with the Kframe revolvers.
for many years it was a manuhrin walter ppk. Back when germans were bad, and the bad boys were turning out walthers in france cause they couldn't make them in germany.
I am taking a piece of sheit interarms walther ppk/s up to a gunsmith next week, to have him manufacture a ejector out of steel.
family member shot this gun broke it first time out.
Sig 228

HK USP
Colt Government .380, I know some call it a mouse gun but I can HIT with it and it is familiar.
+1 on the Hi Power
I think I would like to try a DAO S&W. A 3953/3954 should make a nice carry pistol.
Sig P6
If I'm reading your post right, I think what you're asking for, are guns that aren't the usually named suspects.

For concealed carry, I like my Kahr P9. As an alternative; well, I don't currently have a mid-sized one, but I could go slightly smaller to my Kel-Tec PF9 and feel pretty well-armed, I actually like the trigger pull and sights on it.

As a woods-walking/ home defense gun, I really like my full-size aluminum frame Taurus 1911AL (no longer made), but I've grown to really like my Ruger SR9 pretty well too. Almost bought a S&W M&P instead, and I believe I could like it just as well or maybe better.
Toss up between the Browning Hi-Power, SIG P220 or 226, or the S&W M&P 9mm, full size, with appropriate modifications.
I've got enough examples of my first choice (Smith third gen 9mm doublestack) that I don't hardly think about what's in second place, but if I had to reconfigure with something else I'd probably go CZ75 family.
Originally Posted by RufusG
I've got enough examples of my first choice (Smith third gen 9mm doublestack) that I don't hardly think about what's in second place, but if I had to reconfigure with something else I'd probably go CZ75 family.

Same here. My first would be just about any Sig 22_. But I could quickly come to grips with a CZ75.

FC
Probably a Sig P220.
P7m8. Hasbeen
Well all I got is Glocks, so I guess it might be my old security six.
My first choice has always been a Lightweight Commander 1911 in .45acp, and my second choice has always been a Glock, usually my Model 32 in 357 Sig Caliber.
Recently, and more and more, lately, I've been packing my Glock 32 in .357 Sig as my primary CCW for daily use. I shoot both guns equally well, but I just find it easier to carry extra rounds with the Glock.
I too hate most euro triggers but for a carry gun reliability trumps all. I trust the Sig 226 that was my issue gun. They are clunky but very reliable. An M & P would be OK as would an HK P30. For fun factor it would have to be a smooth revolver.

mike r
I don't have much trouble shooting whatever I'm handed but if I couldn't get a Glock or a 1911, I'd probably pick a Beretta M9/92F, full size or a Compact, or maybe some version of an HK, or an M&P, or one of several Sigs would work too.

MM
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Browning Hi-Power

+1. But I could easily live with the S&W 9c with the Apex DAEK and aluminum trigger, if I couldn't have my BHP.
A CZ 40-P, SA/DA Pistol (uncatalogued) new and available for around $300 some years ago.
Used to go everywhere I went for a long time, before I acquired other newer-breed smaller handguns.
It's still one of the last handguns I'll ever part with. Quality, fit, feel, function, accuracy - all perfect.

>> http://www.randymays.com/cz40p.jpg <<
I like my old LAPD Beretta 92, but it's kinda big. It was a great uniformed duty pistol. For concealed/all around use, I'll take a slightly tricked-out Browning. The one below, a MK III forged-frame, will do.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Only Glocks here. Well, and a 22/45.

Some of the "others" I've shot and liked are a MEUSOC 1911, Hi Power, and Walther P38.
Primary daily is LC9.

2nd is Kel-Tec P-32 when leaving from the house after hours Glock 19.

Beretta M9
I appreciate a consistent pull too, and therefore 1911's and Glocks are my favorites. My runner up would be a worked over BHP...................... and I predict YOURS will be a CZ75 carried condition one. grin
I could easily fall back on an SR9 or an SR45.
Glock 19 and a Glock 26

Nothing like the type 14 to set the example...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Nailed it. I started carrying a 1911, then a M92, SW 5906 for a decade, SW 99, HK USP and then a Glock 22. Even carried a SW 625 as primary when I was working dope and wanted a "non cop" gun. I have carried subsonics, 115+p+ and even ball ammo. The only one that was hideous was the SW99, it was bad enough it was issued for only a few years, had problems the entire time. I actually carried a full size HK USP as my "second gun" due to the broken mim parts and general crappy reliability.

I do have a preference for a manual safety of some kind for weapon retention issues and reholstering issues. I would grab my 5906 as a primary gun today and not loose any sleep.
Originally Posted by P_Weed
A CZ 40-P, SA/DA Pistol (uncatalogued) new and available for around $300 some years ago. ... Quality, fit, feel, function, accuracy - all perfect.

I had one, and loved everything about the pistol. That palm swell in the grip fit me freakin' perfectly.

But the .40 S&W chambering was more than I could deal with. I couldn't keep rounds on target with any kind of speed, and 50 rounds was about my limit per range session.

I traded that pistol to a good friend, and it's been his favorite ever since.

FC
Browning Hi Power, only semi auto besides 1911's or Glocks I own.
Of my semi-auto pistols certainly my Glock 20 and various 1911's take first choice. Second place would be equally shared between my Beretta 92 (Elite version with heavy slide, decock only) and my Springfield P-9 (Tanfoglio built CZ 75 clone) in .40 S&W. I am comfortable and confident with either.
Originally Posted by 222Rem
I appreciate a consistent pull too, and therefore 1911's and Glocks are my favorites. My runner up would be a worked over BHP...................... and I predict YOURS will be a CZ75 carried condition one. grin

Ding, Ding, Ding!

I do really enjoy the CZs.

If forced to carry a traditional DA/SA, I think the CZ would be hard to beat, but the ability to carry the CZ 75 cocked and locked makes it a standout favorite.

Plus I have played with some highly tuned CZs that had a DA that was phenomenal. Quite frankly I am surprised that they are not more popular.

They fit almost everyone's hands. While the DA trigger pull can be long for those with short fingers, the ability to reconfigure with short triggers takes care of that issue quite nicely.

I have several of the CZ pattern pistols and I do like them a lot.

As I like the 1911/2011 a lot.

But for all things I would have to stick with Glock...
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Ding, Ding, Ding!

If forced to carry a traditional DA/SA, I think the CZ would be hard to beat, but the ability to carry the CZ 75 cocked and locked makes it a standout favorite.

Plus I have played with some highly tuned CZs that had a DA that was phenomenal. Quite frankly I am surprised that they are not more popular.

They fit almost everyone's hands. While the DA trigger pull can be long for those with short fingers, the ability to reconfigure with short triggers takes care of that issue quite nicely.

The CZ was pretty much a myth for a long time. Then when you finally could get one, other pistols had become more established with the military and police and at the same time, the world was transitioning to Glock-like pistols. The police gun was the 5906, et al and the Beretta was the military's choice. Simply no room for the CZ. Then there was Tanfoglio, the Italian manufacturer and sporadic quality issues.

Ding, Ding, Ding!

as i have mentioned on here, i picked up a cz b model and a c, both israeli military/police guns. absolutely fell in love with them, the only thing they need is a ambi safety. can carry hammer down, it is double action, or hammer back with the safety.
they just shoot well. both are priced around the 300dollar range.
cooper was right, a long time ago when you couldn't hardly find them. I like to think of them as an improved hi power. they just point well.
my first AND second choice for a semi auto 9mm is a CZ 75D PCR

1911 and XDS are my first and second choice for .45 ACP
Either a P7M8, or a BHP.

Number 1; probably the P7 M13 then second the K3 in 380...

[Linked Image]
A Sig P226 is my all time favorite carry gun.

Recently bought a Glock 43 for summer carry, and fell in love with it.
I finally mastered being able to "hit" DA with this little gun.

Am now thinking a Glock 17 would make a good second or backup carry gun.

Virgil B.
God I hate being a groupie...Sig 2022 followed closely by a Walther PPS.
Right now it is Glock 43 with CTC Laserguard. I also carry a S&W MP340 loaded with Reminton Gold JHP. The Rem is the nicest.357 to shoot in a small revolver.
If I wasn't carrying an M&P Shield to be extra sneaky, I'd be carrying my Sig 228. I shoot the Sig DA/SA pretty well but it's been tuned up and the way Sig's point make up any difference.

And I shoot DAO, SA, DA/SA and the striker fired pistols enough to see that the DA/SA isn't near as much of a problem as I first thought.

I do shoot a 1911 a tad easier but I won't carry one cocked and locked.
Smith and Wesson 627 8 shot

Not a semi auto so maybe a glock 19?
I normally carry a G19 or a 1911, second choice would be BHP, Sig 228, or Springfield XD.
I would rather carry a revolver.
But I do have SIG P6. It was a Police trade in so the blue already has holster wear and I like that for concealed carry.
I think the 625-3 is the best because the brass goes wherever you go.
whelennut
Originally Posted by RGK
I like my old LAPD Beretta 92, but it's kinda big. It was a great uniformed duty pistol. For concealed/all around use, I'll take a slightly tricked-out Browning. The one below, a MK III forged-frame, will do.
Bob

[Linked Image]

The MK III forged-frame 9mm is my "second favorite".

[Linked Image]

Ding, Ding, Ding!

The first CZ-75 I ever shot was love at first sight. It was a first year "short rail" CZ that was literally smuggled into the US, and I was all excited to shoot the "commie-contraband" pistol.

The fit and finish was first rate, function was of course perfect (even though the "short rail" CZ's had some issues), and accuracy was in the 2.5" range at 25 yards; overall, a very nice pistol. But the DA pull was absolutely amazing. It was around 9 pounds and buttery smooth. I don't know if it had had work done to it or if all the first year CZ75's were that smooth, but it was simply amazing.

I really fell in love with that pistol, but since this was 1984, I just couldn't have one. So when Springfield brought in Solothurn made CZ75 copies, I bought two. They were beautiful, but they had horrible parts breakage problems.

To this day, I really have the hots for a CZ75 Short Rail; one day I'll scratch that itch.
My favorite to carry varies. Consequently, my second choice varies.

Depending on weather and activity I have a USPc with a P7 as my second choice. Other situations, I flip those choices.
Kahr PM9
My second fave would be my former first fave...my old SIG 220. Dead nuts reliable with evenrything, accurate and superb trigger (I put a srt kit in it, as well). I just fell in love with my newer S&W 1911SC Commander and having been carrying that non-stop.

Another close second choice would be my SR9c. Reliable and very easy to shoot accurately. Nice and compact with the ten rd mag inserted and two 17'ers riding shotgun...
If I couldn't carry a Glock, it would be an M&P 9 or some sort of XD. Or possibly one of the 22x 9mm Sigs.

Guns I would NOT choose for a primary carry gun:
Any compact single stack
P7
Any Kahr
Any S&W semi-auto
Any Keltec, Taurus, etc
Any revolver
My second choice would be to test fire and choose among the current offerings from CZ... I like how they fit my hand, and have heard they are great shooters.
Sig P239 in 357 Sig
© 24hourcampfire