Home
Posted By: CrimsonTide The 357 Magnum - 01/19/16
I have often felt like a good 357 magnum revolver was essential in a person's battery. I have owned a 3/4 ton truck load over the years, and only regret parting with a 3 inch Model 66, and a 5 inch model 27.

The cartridge is a rock solid performer, but it does not come with a free lunch. The recoil and muzzle blast are substantial. Anyone who has touched one off can vouch for that.

One of the first firearms I bought for my son was a 4 inch Smith and Wesson 686. I still believe that a man should own one, BUT, I can't say that I enjoy shooting the 357 magnum.

My latest 357 is a Ruger. GP100 with a 5 inch barrel. I believe it is a dealer exclusive, and not a regular catalog item. It should be strong enough to shoot any kind of magnum handload out of, if the need arises, but truthfully, I'd rather shoot a stout 45 colt.

What are your feelings on the 357? Is it still viable?

Posted By: 4ager Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/19/16
About like yours. Owned many; kept none. It's one of the most versatile, but it doesn't do anything as well as others and the negatives are stark enough to have it always go away in place of a couple other cartridges that fill various roles better (IMHO).

Were I restricted to one handgun only, ever, the .357 would get a far more serious look.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/19/16
Originally Posted by 4ager

Were I restricted to one handgun only, ever, the .357 would get a far more serious look.

So it appears that the 357 is like a 30-06 rifle.

I don't care much for the '06, either.

Posted By: CLEANDEAN Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/19/16
The .357 has taken some big doe venison in my circle of hunter friends.
The bullets offered today , by Hornady & Barnes, are surely all better than the 158 LRN. of yesteryear.
As a personal defense weapon , the choice is high cap autos , but none except the .357 SIG , is gonna do any better than a couple of 140 gr. HP. slugs to center mass.

With a Smith or Ruger, you mentioned above...
You will not be undegunned in the field 《 cept' for Bear , & riled up Moose》

Silver bullets by Oregon Trail. (180 gr.) are great for loading.....
Not a loader? Cartridges by Double Tap, & Buffalo Bore, will give you... everything you need.

Glad I held on to my 8" Colt Python .... still nice, but a shooter..... nonetheless....... not gonna sell it to no one, # best to pull it's trigger once in a while.
Posted By: viking Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/19/16
Some are just stuck in the past. I got 2 myself and doubt I will ever be without them. They are just to versatile to be written off.

A lot of us around here remember the days of few choices in the defensive handgun market, but good 357s where plentiful and a lot of us started copping with a whelel gun.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/19/16
I carried a 4 inch 66 in my first policing job. I didn't feel all that under gunned in those days, but there are a great many choices these days, that make me wonder if the 357 is still as versatile as it used to be.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/19/16
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I have often felt like a good 357 magnum revolver was essential in a person's battery. I have owned a 3/4 ton truck load over the years, and only regret parting with a 3 inch Model 66, and a 5 inch model 27.

The cartridge is a rock solid performer, but it does not come with a free lunch. The recoil and muzzle blast are substantial. Anyone who has touched one off can vouch for that.

One of the first firearms I bought for my son was a 4 inch Smith and Wesson 686. I still believe that a man should own one, BUT, I can't say that I enjoy shooting the 357 magnum.

My latest 357 is a Ruger. GP100 with a 5 inch barrel. I believe it is a dealer exclusive, and not a regular catalog item. It should be strong enough to shoot any kind of magnum handload out of, if the need arises, but truthfully, I'd rather shoot a stout 45 colt.

What are your feelings on the 357? Is it still viable?

Always viable. Not essential but certainly a good choice for almost everything. If you're a survivalist type it's just a great caliber to have because it's so darned prolific, especially when the 38 is added in. One of the best calibers.

Boring as hell. I seldom shoot one.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/19/16
Doubt I'll let my 686+ go. Put it on my hip today before going down into Indian country, but it was printing a bit much for the clothes I was wearing.

Guess I baby it a bit. Shoot mostly .38's through it. Lot more than full load .357's. Doubt I'll wear it out any time soon.
Posted By: lastround Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/19/16
Like you, CT, I've had a bunch of 357's, but don't own any now. There are a few like one of the stainless Security-Sixes or Model 66's that I've owned and wish I had back, but I have generally moved on to the 44 and 45 Colt in revolvers and 9mm and 45 ACP in semi-autos. I don't feel like I'm missing out by not having or shooting a 357. But.....now that I think about it....................
Posted By: Steelhead Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/19/16
I have to own one, it matches my 16 inch 1894 in 357.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/19/16
On the other hand, I absolutely adore the 38 Special, which is about all the 357 revolver gets fed.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/19/16
I've also owned a few of them. Interesting how our outlook has changed on them over the years. Now down to two, a 5 screw pre-27 with 5" barrel, just because I like 5" N frames, and a Colt original Trooper.

The Trooper normally stayed in Dad's tool box at work. One day three mean drunks started demanding service at Dad's garage, and grew belligerent when he declined. The Trooper was retrieved and the drunks suddenly became sober and polite, remembering business elsewhere. It shoots well and deserves better grips than I have on it.

In its original loadings the .357 was famous as a decisive fight stopper. I expect it would still do that today, especially in a large frame revolver, with original spec loads. Could also work for deer hunting with the heavier modern bullets. In one cylinder you could load snake loads, defensive loads, target loads, and heavy game loads - and the gun would function just fine, unlike an autoloader. And you wouldn't have to hunt your brass after shooting it. smile

I'd like to have a 6" Python, but not enough to justify the cost. I found a long time ago I can shoot a 1911 faster & more accurately than any DA revo - and obviously capacity is higher.
Posted By: Kimberman Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/19/16
I have 3, a 4" Mod 66, a 4" Mod 19, and a 2" Mod 60. Versatile as they come, with the different ammo choices available between 357 and 38, but I find myself not shooting them much any more. If I was limited to only having 1 handgun, the 66 would get the nod.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/19/16

Some may argue the value of the 357, but there is no denying the versatility of this cartridge in this gun, a S&W 686+, 7 shots of compact killing power...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Oregon45 Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/19/16
I have several .357's but I rarely shoot .357 Magnum. Why? Because it is simultaneously too much and not enough. Too much recoil and blast in typical guns (6" and below)--I might as well use a 44 Special if I need power. And if I need serious downrange power in the .357 bore, I can get that with my .357 Maximum without having to lean on the powder measure and accelerate wear on my guns with hot loads of spherical powders.

The .357 is a great round and I will never be without one (or two, or the dozen or so I've accumulated) but my .357 revolvers will see 1000 38spl's for every round in magnum brass. That includes the 173gr Keith load in 38spl brass I use in my S&W M27's given the short cylinder length.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/19/16
I've had a few, just have one now, a 4" Security Six.

I suppose what I like about it is you can load it up, load it down, load it with snakeshot, load any bullet profile, it works.

I also like it because you don't have to chase brass. That's especially nice when there's snow on the ground.

I've been enjoying mine with 170gr Keith SWC over 5.0 gr Unique, in 38 Spl cases.
Posted By: dodgefan Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/19/16
I've owned 2, a 4 inch and a 6 inch GP100, I traded the 6 inch off in 89 IIRC and still have the 4 inch, but haven't shot it in several years.
Posted By: bea175 Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/19/16
I presently own three 357 Magnum pistols and couldn't imagine not owning at least one, love the 357
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/19/16
[Linked Image]
Posted By: EdM Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/19/16
I own a fair bit, a couple of old Ruger Flattops, a Security Six snubbie, a 3" SP101 and a 4" M66. All only see 38 Special's, sometimes +P's. If I want more thump it comes via diameter.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/19/16
There are absolutely a necessity for a few 357Mags around the house. I've had a lot over the years, I really like hauling around a Ruger SP101 so I have a few of those. Guy has to have a Security Six or two, S&W 66, is a necessity at my age, one of my favorites, and I like the GP 100 as well. Growing up with Westerns I've got a couple of Blackhawks as well. Hard part is deciding what you want to use them for. Most don't get used, anymore, but I just can't seem to let them go. No reason too I guess.

Of course if you are going to have a 357 it just makes sense that a guy needs a Marlin 1894 in 357 Mag. Otherwise it can be a hardship on the handguns.
Posted By: JGray Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/19/16
I've had a few over the years also, but only own one currently - the same 3" 686+ shrapnel posted. I mostly shoot the cast 170 Keith in 357 brass loaded to moderate pressures/velocities.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
I have a Dan Wesson Model 15-2 (6") and a S&W Model 19-3 (4") 357 Magnum DA Revolvers.
Both are prized possessions, but I rarely shoot the 357 Mag ammo.
I do however shoot 38 Special ammunition in these revolvers and find that a win-win situation.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
I've had several and still have a few. I don't understand the problem with moderate 158gr loads in a 4" medium frame .357. Never been bothersome to me, and with good bullets it's still a very good and versatile load. I have yet to find even a heavier safe load that is not comfortable to shoot in my Security Six with Hogue grip.

The 3" model 60as is still one of the handiest guns ever, and even it isn't a real hardship with moderate loads. Mine really shines with the WWB 110gr hp.
Posted By: Old_Crab Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
I have 2 stainless GP100's, a 3" barrel and a 6" barrel.
Definitely am always going to have them for several reasons that make sense to me:
- The GP100's are built like a tank, and can shoot any load at full-house-spec without a problem
- The 357 allows you to shoot 38's which are like a powder-puff in a large frame when you are working with youngsters who are "just learning", but are recoil/noise sensitive
- Cylinder guns just shoot and shoot without many problems
- The 3" makes a decent kit-gun, and the 6" makes a good hunting or target gun with the long sight picture

And besides, I drive a Ford F150. :-)
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Hard part is deciding what you want to use them for. Most don't get used, anymore, but I just can't seem to let them go. No reason too I guess.

This is exactly what I mean. I recognize the utility of the cartridge and the revolver, but it doesn't mean they get a lot of use.

Like EdM and others mentioned, the 38 Special is quite a bit more pleasant to shoot, and if I need more muscle, I'd prefer to interject the 44 special or 45 Colt.

Fortunately, guns don't have to work for their supper supper here. I can enjoy them without shooting them, I guess.
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
[Linked Image]

Curious as to the manufacturer of the knife above the S&W M-27.

Doc
Posted By: woods_walker Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
If I recall correctly, 12 or so .357 magnum handguns have passed through my hands. Sold another from my collection at a gunshow this past weekend. Now down to one very nice 4" Model 28. Gave a 5" 27 to my oldest son, in retrospect should have kept that one as my sole remaining .357 revolver. Like others have mentioned I also shoot reduced loads of 6.5 gr. of Unique with a 158 gr. cast swc.

For my needs the .357 magnum shines in a lever action rifle. My favorites are the Browning 1892 and the Marlin 1894C. Settled on a load using the 180 gr. Hornady XTP over 15 gr. of LiL Gun for the rifles.

One other consideration is that these rifles are really fun to shoot. That is not always the case with standard loads in the revolver.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
I hope I never get to the point I can't find use for my 357's.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
I have several 357 revolvers. Most wear the S&W brand. I shoot far more 38 Special cartridges than 357 Magnum, but I like the economy and versatility that a good 38.357 revolver offers.
Now I leave with you, an article by Skeeter Skelton. He was obviously a believer in the 357.

You can make remarks about the ancestry of my dog. have your doubts about the gas mileage toted up by my family sedan. Spread the story, if you wish, that my backyard barbecues could be best digested by a brood of Arkansas razorbacks. But if you cast aspersions on my .357 Magnum sixgun, get somebody to hold your coat. We'll continue the discussion in the alley.
I can hoist on his own petard the writer who claimed that the .357 cartridge has never achieved significance as a hunting round. The police brass who deny the usefulness of this gun and cartridge for law enforcement purposes can be set straight with a few terse observations. Experts who say the load is too powerful and experts who proclaim it less potent than a river rock from little David's slingshot will scurry for their basslistics tables if confronted by factual data on the private life of this great load.

It was conceived as a hunting cartridge by Douglas B. Wesson, one of the heirs to the giant Smith & Wesson firm. With the aid of ballistician Phil Sharpe, Wesson discovered that the S&W .38-44 Outdoorsman, a .38 Special mounted on the old .44 Special frame, would withstand extra ordinarily high pressures. This quality was not a mysterious one; it was the simple sum of the thick cylinder walls and modern metals that made up the handsom, target-sighted Outdoorsman.

Sharpe's handloads, featuring a semiwadcutter cast bullet over a heavy helping of Hercules 2400 rifle powder, gave velocity and long-range accuracy that had never before been realized in a revolver. During the experimental stages, Wesson killed almost every type of North American big game with hisbrainchild, justifying it as a hunting arm even before it went into production.

The .357 Magnum was formally introduced in 1935, along with a cartridge by Winchester. Bullet weight was 158 grains and diameter .357 inch - same as the .38 Special. The .357 cartridge case was approximately 1/10th inch longer than that of the .38 Special to prevent the more powerful round from being chambered in skimpier .38 Special cylinders.

The Smith & Wesson Magnum was initially offered with a selection of 3 1/2, four, five, six, 6 1/2, 7 1/2, and 8 3/4-inch barrels. It featured a deluxe, high-polish blue job and checkering along its topstrap and barrel rib. The rear sight, slightly different from the S&W micrometer design of today, was adjustable for windage and elevation by means of opposing set screws. A selection of front sight styles was available, including bead insert Patridge types and the then-new sloping Baughman quickdraw model mounted on a King ramp. The action was of the pre-World War II type which had a longer hammer throw than the short-action S&W revolver of today. A "humpbacked" hammer was offered on a special-order basis and was perferred by many who had difficulty in manipulating the rather small, standard hammer spur.

The first Winchester cartridges were hot as a depot stove, with pressures running higher than 40,000 ft-lbs. Velocity of these power-houses ran around 1425 fps when fired from an 8 3/4-inch revolver, higher in unvented pressure barrels. Today's factory loadings generally fall short of the initial Winchester offerings, both in the velocity and pressure departments.

The factory .357 cartridge has done a lot to encourage handloading. It is a notorious barrel leader, leaving thick, accuracy-spoiling deposits of bullet metal scabbed up in teh rifling after very few shots. Serious shooters who want to be able to fire long strings without scrubbing the bore after every eight or 10 rounds have turned to putting together their own loads. These feature well-lubricated cast bullets of an extra-hard bullet metal. My favorite answer to the .357 leading bugaboo has been the use of Lyman's 358156 gascheck bullets, a Ray Thompson design. Properly cast, sized, and lubricated, this semiwadcutter slug approximates the shape of the Phil Sharpe original and sports a copper-shielded base that resists the hot gasses of the magnum powder charges. It is an exceptionally clean-shooting, accurate bullet for both light and heavily stoked .357 cartridges.

With this bullet, in both solid and hollowpoint form, I have proven to my own satisfaction that the .357 is a fine hunting pistol. Shooting a variety of Smith & Wesson, Ruger, and Colt magnums, I have killed mule deer and javelina in Mexico, antelope and turkey in Texas. My .357 has put the coup de grace to a great many head of heavy slaughter steers and big hamburger bulls, top hogs, sheep, and goats. With proper bullets, I have put ducks, Canadian geese, cottontail rabbits, and bullfrogs on my table.

I once ate a tough old White Leghorn rooster who had the misfortune to be left at an abandoned farmhouse where I made a dry camp. My .357 took his head off.

Turning to varmint hunting, I can testify that the .357 Magnum loaded with hollowpoint bullets offeres all the destructive qualities needed at ranges up to 100 yards. Jackrabbits hit solidly with such a load are turned to mush. The plains coyotes I have killed with it have required no second shot when the first was placed anywhere in the thorax or abdominal cavity. One eagle and perhaps a hundred chicken hawks have dropped to my magnum bullets.

And my experience with this cartridge is by no means unusual. My friend, the late Dewey Hicks, was a find pistol shot and avid hunter. Dewey killed boht deer and coyotes with my .357 handloads. He once took an outing with a northern New Mexico rancher. Dewey wanted an elk, but the cowboy was looking for a muley buck for camp meat. He toted a worn, six-inch Smith .357 in a brush-scarred hip holster but was a little worried about his ability to kill a deer with the only loads he had - six rounds of .38 Special wadcutters.

My friend presented him with a double handful of my favorite handloads, made from a recipe of the 358156 hollowpoint bullet held in its lower crimping groove by a Remington .38 Special case. The powder charge was 13.5 grains of 2400 fused with CCI Small Pistol primers. A few hours after loading up with these homebrews, the cowboy tumbled a running buck with a single shot through the spine at 50 yards.

These tall-but-true tales could continue, but for what? Saying the .357 is insignificant as a hunting round is like saying that sourmash bourbon constitutes an unimportant factor in the diet of man. Maybe, but ain't there lots of it being put to use?

Almost all the objections to the .357 as a police weapon come from city police departments. It is argued, with some justification, that an officer who fires a magnum in a crowded city is more likely to kill innocent non-combatives than the would be if armed with a standard .38 Special. Not much mention is given to the fact that the same officer runs a hell of a lot more risk of being killed himself when his low-powered .38 fails to put an armed opponent out of action.

The .357 can, when necessary, be loaded down to any desired velocity level that will preclude unwanted penetration and yet offer a very good stopping power with proper bullets.

The Texas Department of Public Safety and the U.S. Border Patrol have accepted the .357 as standard for the patrol officers. Many of these well-trained cops frequently work in crowded, metropolitian areas. Those that do find it a simple thing to load their magnums with medium-velocity handloads, sometimes with expanding bullets that are good manstoppers but which won't penetrate dangerously. These thinking cops carry full-powered "maggie" loads in the bullet loops of their Sam Brown belts. If the need arises to stop a car of rouse out a barricaded gunman, they can do it.

The long suit of the .357 is its versatility in handling a wide range of special-purpose cartridges. These range from powder-puff .38 Special target loads to full-powered hunting rounds of up to 1600 fps velocity.

I have used many different bullet styles besides the Lyman 358156, although it as remained nearest my heart. A flatnosed semiwadcutter bullet performs best in the .357, especially in heavier loads, and several other good designs are available. In preparing to load for this caliber, some thought should be given to the use of the swaged half-jacket bullets, although I have found them to be generally less satisfactory than good cast bullets, due to their leading qualities and to their greater expense.

Below is a table of my favorite .357 loads, seperated into three categories. The first two section, light loads and medium loads, can be put up in either .38 Special or .357 cases. I generally load these in .38 Special cases so they can be redily identified and also because the .38 brass is cheaper. The third section, heavy loads, should be assembled in sound, clean .357 cases. While not each is a maximum load, they perform better than any other combinations of the same bullet and powder that I have tried. Bullets used are .357-inch diameter. Velocities are estimated to be those obtained in a 8 3/8-inch-barreled revolver.

Since so many varying factors aply to make the results of handloading good, indifferent, or disastrous, neither Shooting Times nor I can be responsible for results obtained by the reader. I can only say that these loads have been safe and useful in my guns.

.357 Light Loads
Bullet (Grs.) (Type) Velocity (fps)
Lyman 158-gr 358156 5.3 Unique 900
Lyman 150-gr 357446 hp 5.0 5066 950
Lyman 170-gr 358429 3.5 Bullseye 850
150-gr. swaged half jacket 5.0 Unique 900
.357 Medium Loads
Bullet (Grs.) (Type) Velocity(fps)
Lyman 158-gr 358156 13.5 2400 1200
Lyman 150-gr. 358156 HP 13.5 2400 1250
Lyman 150-gr 358156 HP 7.0 Unique 1250
Lyman 170-gr 358429 6.0 Unique 1150
Lyman 158-gr 357466 5.0 Red Dot 1000
Lyman 158-gr 357466 12.0 4759 1250
150-gr swaged half jacket 7.5 Unique 1300
.357 Heavy Loads
Lyman 150-gr 358156 HP 15.5 2400 1500
Lyman 158-gr 358156 15.0 2400 1450
Lyman 150-gr 358156 HP 15.0 4227 1400
Lyman 158-gr 158156 8.0 Unique 1400
Lyman 150-gr 358156 HP 14.0 Sharpshooter 1600
Lyman 158-gr 357466 14.5 2400 1450
Lyman 170-gr 358429 14.5 2400 1400
Lyman 170-gr 358429 13.5 H2400 1350
150-gr swaged half jacket 14.5 2400 1400
This list, of course, is by no means a comprehensive selection of .357 loads. It merely represents some that have worked well in my experience. Powder charges listed here may be used with other bullet of the same weight and similar design, but it is well to remember that a plainbase bullet, such as the 357466, will give higher pressures with teh same powder charge than the gaschecked 358156. Too, a bullet case of soft alloy will show higher pressures and more barrel leading than one composed of a hard mixture, such as 1:10 tin to lead.

Barrel lengths affect muzzle velocities, but not as much as you may think. Longer barrels do a better job of burning the slow powders necessary for magnum loads, and many hunters buy guns with uncomfortably long barrels in order to squeeze the last foot-second of velocity from their loads.

Tests have shown that in cutting a 8 3/8-inch-barreled Smith .357 off one inch at a time, only about 35 fps velocity is lost for each inch removed when factory or high-velocity handloads are fired. This means that the shooter who carries a 8 3/8-inch model that gives 1500 fps would still get 1415 fps out of a six-inch revolver and 1435 fps if he chopped her down to four inches. The game he shoots isn't likely to know the difference, and the maggie man should pick the barrel length that he can shoot best, and carry most comfortably.

In the middle '30s, the Smith & Wesson was the only sixgun chambered in .357. Colt didn't seem especially interested in the cartridge but did produce a few Model P single actions in that caliber, along with a sprinkling of New Service and Shooting Master double actions with its .45 frame. These prewar Colts are now collector's items.

Today Smith & Wesson offers it's old original model, slightly refined, as well as a less highly finished version of the same gun, called the Highway Patrolman. Advances in metallurgy have enabled Smith & Wesson to chamber it's .38 Special revolver for the .357 cartridge, and it holds forth as the Combat Magnum, filled up with target sights and a heavy, ribbed barrel.

Colt sells .357 sixguns in the form of the old Model P single action and its target-sighted offspring, the New Frontier. The Python, an improved version of the famous .38 Officers Model target revolver, is the top gun in the Colt line and one of the most popular .357's used by police. The Trooper is a less fancy version, competing with the S&W Highway Patrolman in price.

Sturm, Ruger & Co. came out with its .357 Blackhawk in 1955, and it is an extremely practical, durable hunting arm. Intercontinental Arms of Los Angeles imports the Dakota, a good replica of the Colt single action from Italy that can be had in .357. Intercontinental also sells a sturdy derringer in the same caliber.

All of these handguns are strong and accurate. At one time or another, I have carried each of them at my side on hunting trips or in law-enforcement work. If i had to choose just one gun to side me for the rest of my life, be it handgun, rifle or shotgun, I would select a .357 Magnum revolver.

So if youre in a critical mood, pal, lay off my .357 - it's an old friend of mine.

Skeeter Skelton, June 1988
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
I still carry one a lot when working on the farm or in the woods. Very versatile, shot, 38's, magnums...matches a 77/357 or a little Rossi lever. Nice to carry a few rounds of shot in the first two for snakes. Don't care much for one with a barrel less than 4" if it's going to see 357 loads. The 4.2" SP101 is a great woods bumming gun...

Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
[Linked Image]

Curious as to the manufacturer of the knife above the S&W M-27.

Doc
Not to put too fine a point on it...bada bing...but it's a M28 Highway Patrolman.

The knife is one that gets a lot of queries. It's a USMC Raider Bowie made by Ontario Knife Company of Ontario, NY. For a USA made knife of obvious quality, it is relatively cheap too. I think I got it a couple of years ago for around $70-80 and I looked it up for another poster just awhile back and it looked to be about the same price.

I have noted that Walmart is marketing a pretty close copy of it, at least around here. Price is less than half of the USA made one, but I'm sure it's Chinese. I have no idea about the quality. I think the brand name on Walmart's is Mossy Oak Break Up Country.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I still carry one a lot when working on the farm or in the woods. Very versatile, shot, 38's, magnums...matches a 77/357 or a little Rossi lever. Nice to carry a few rounds of shot in the first two for snakes. Don't care much for one with a barrel less than 4" if it's going to see 357 loads. The 4.2" SP101 is a great woods bumming gun...

You make several good points. If Ruger is thinking with a clear head at all, they will make a standard catalog item out of that little SP101 with the long barrel and adjustable sights.
Posted By: 4ager Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
I could like that 4.2" SP101, if it wasn't for the same thing in .327.

A 77/327 would be the cat's ass.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
I read the article when it came out and if I don't have the original ST I've got the article in one of his compilation books.
Posted By: deflave Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
I have very little use for a magnum anything. Including the condoms.

.38 and .44 Specials are pretty much all I shoot any more.

Dave
Posted By: saddlesore Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
I have four of them, 4" Security Six, 6" Blackhawk, a 6" Smith 686 and 2" Smith 66. I also have a 4$&5/8ths Ruger 44 mag and Interarms Firestar 9mm.

The 66 is my CCW with Speer Gold dots 135 gr,the Security Six gets carried when I am in the saddle with shot and 158 gr XTPs, the 686 goes to the range with 158 gr cast and Universal Clays target loads.

I don't shoot the Blackhawk much and can't remember when the 44mag or 9mm has been out of he safe.

Yea,I like them
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

Now, if only someone would finally legitimize the .41 Special.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
I've owned a few and used to shoot them quite a bit with hand loaded ammo that was put together using the "old" data.

I still like them but I learned that a regular heavy diet of full power .357 ammo will burn up forcing cones and gas cut top straps before you'd think so.

I do a lot of shooting with .38's loaded pretty warm but well short of a full power .357 load, pretty much the same loads that I shoot out of my one remaining .357.

Basically, a 160 grain bullet at 900-1000 fps. Sometimes I might take 'em up a bit higher with a slower powder, like 2400. That's what they all get fed, .38 or .357. You can shoot that load 'till the end of time without burning out a forcing cone of gas cutting a top strap.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
original Trooper

[Linked Image]

Posted By: gitem_12 Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
Seems like I never keep revolvers very long, and 357 stay the shortest, bout all I ever shoot out of em is 38s anyway,

But lately I've been having a case of the "wants" for a 4 inch 586, or a 4 inch 44
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
The smith model 19 four inch was the first "hi power" handgun i ever had other than my dads colt bisley 38wcf.
I carried that 19 on the sheriff's department, all over over north central arizona and never felt underguned. Thousands of 38special through it, maybe a box or two of magnums in 40 years.
I always felt pretty comfortable that i could hit whatever i was aiming at within relative line of sight.
i have a number new in the box put away.
i have also loaded them up to the 230 grain bullet too.
They still remain in the age of plastic hi cap guns a good choice.
a guy that knows how to work one can really throw lead out fast.
Posted By: EdM Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16

Dave

I did. grin I'll probably take it on the pig hunt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by EdM

Dave

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Again, gorgeous little revolver.
Posted By: dvnv Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
I think it always was, and still is, a good cartridge. I have various flavors but like it best in a 3 screw Blackhawk.

Easy to carry, flat shooting, packs a punch on most anything medium sized and down.

Give me some 125s nestled on top of H110 for walking the sage in search of coyotes and jacks...heaven on earth.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
Do you just shorten 41 Mag brass?
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
[Linked Image]
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
I have 4 357s. No Glocks and no 9mms.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
Now I leave with you, an article by Skeeter Skelton. He was obviously a believer in the 357.

You can make remarks about the ancestry of my dog. have your doubts about the gas mileage toted up by my family sedan. Spread the story, if you wish, that my backyard barbecues could be best digested by a brood of Arkansas razorbacks. But if you cast aspersions on my .357 Magnum sixgun, get somebody to hold your coat. We'll continue the discussion in the alley.
I can hoist on his own petard the writer who claimed that the .357 cartridge has never achieved significance as a hunting round. The police brass who deny the usefulness of this gun and cartridge for law enforcement purposes can be set straight with a few terse observations. Experts who say the load is too powerful and experts who proclaim it less potent than a river rock from little David's slingshot will scurry for their basslistics tables if confronted by factual data on the private life of this great load.

It was conceived as a hunting cartridge by Douglas B. Wesson, one of the heirs to the giant Smith & Wesson firm. With the aid of ballistician Phil Sharpe, Wesson discovered that the S&W .38-44 Outdoorsman, a .38 Special mounted on the old .44 Special frame, would withstand extra ordinarily high pressures. This quality was not a mysterious one; it was the simple sum of the thick cylinder walls and modern metals that made up the handsom, target-sighted Outdoorsman.

Sharpe's handloads, featuring a semiwadcutter cast bullet over a heavy helping of Hercules 2400 rifle powder, gave velocity and long-range accuracy that had never before been realized in a revolver. During the experimental stages, Wesson killed almost every type of North American big game with hisbrainchild, justifying it as a hunting arm even before it went into production.

The .357 Magnum was formally introduced in 1935, along with a cartridge by Winchester. Bullet weight was 158 grains and diameter .357 inch - same as the .38 Special. The .357 cartridge case was approximately 1/10th inch longer than that of the .38 Special to prevent the more powerful round from being chambered in skimpier .38 Special cylinders.

The Smith & Wesson Magnum was initially offered with a selection of 3 1/2, four, five, six, 6 1/2, 7 1/2, and 8 3/4-inch barrels. It featured a deluxe, high-polish blue job and checkering along its topstrap and barrel rib. The rear sight, slightly different from the S&W micrometer design of today, was adjustable for windage and elevation by means of opposing set screws. A selection of front sight styles was available, including bead insert Patridge types and the then-new sloping Baughman quickdraw model mounted on a King ramp. The action was of the pre-World War II type which had a longer hammer throw than the short-action S&W revolver of today. A "humpbacked" hammer was offered on a special-order basis and was perferred by many who had difficulty in manipulating the rather small, standard hammer spur.

The first Winchester cartridges were hot as a depot stove, with pressures running higher than 40,000 ft-lbs. Velocity of these power-houses ran around 1425 fps when fired from an 8 3/4-inch revolver, higher in unvented pressure barrels. Today's factory loadings generally fall short of the initial Winchester offerings, both in the velocity and pressure departments.

The factory .357 cartridge has done a lot to encourage handloading. It is a notorious barrel leader, leaving thick, accuracy-spoiling deposits of bullet metal scabbed up in teh rifling after very few shots. Serious shooters who want to be able to fire long strings without scrubbing the bore after every eight or 10 rounds have turned to putting together their own loads. These feature well-lubricated cast bullets of an extra-hard bullet metal. My favorite answer to the .357 leading bugaboo has been the use of Lyman's 358156 gascheck bullets, a Ray Thompson design. Properly cast, sized, and lubricated, this semiwadcutter slug approximates the shape of the Phil Sharpe original and sports a copper-shielded base that resists the hot gasses of the magnum powder charges. It is an exceptionally clean-shooting, accurate bullet for both light and heavily stoked .357 cartridges.

With this bullet, in both solid and hollowpoint form, I have proven to my own satisfaction that the .357 is a fine hunting pistol. Shooting a variety of Smith & Wesson, Ruger, and Colt magnums, I have killed mule deer and javelina in Mexico, antelope and turkey in Texas. My .357 has put the coup de grace to a great many head of heavy slaughter steers and big hamburger bulls, top hogs, sheep, and goats. With proper bullets, I have put ducks, Canadian geese, cottontail rabbits, and bullfrogs on my table.

I once ate a tough old White Leghorn rooster who had the misfortune to be left at an abandoned farmhouse where I made a dry camp. My .357 took his head off.

Turning to varmint hunting, I can testify that the .357 Magnum loaded with hollowpoint bullets offeres all the destructive qualities needed at ranges up to 100 yards. Jackrabbits hit solidly with such a load are turned to mush. The plains coyotes I have killed with it have required no second shot when the first was placed anywhere in the thorax or abdominal cavity. One eagle and perhaps a hundred chicken hawks have dropped to my magnum bullets.

And my experience with this cartridge is by no means unusual. My friend, the late Dewey Hicks, was a find pistol shot and avid hunter. Dewey killed boht deer and coyotes with my .357 handloads. He once took an outing with a northern New Mexico rancher. Dewey wanted an elk, but the cowboy was looking for a muley buck for camp meat. He toted a worn, six-inch Smith .357 in a brush-scarred hip holster but was a little worried about his ability to kill a deer with the only loads he had - six rounds of .38 Special wadcutters.

My friend presented him with a double handful of my favorite handloads, made from a recipe of the 358156 hollowpoint bullet held in its lower crimping groove by a Remington .38 Special case. The powder charge was 13.5 grains of 2400 fused with CCI Small Pistol primers. A few hours after loading up with these homebrews, the cowboy tumbled a running buck with a single shot through the spine at 50 yards.

These tall-but-true tales could continue, but for what? Saying the .357 is insignificant as a hunting round is like saying that sourmash bourbon constitutes an unimportant factor in the diet of man. Maybe, but ain't there lots of it being put to use?

Almost all the objections to the .357 as a police weapon come from city police departments. It is argued, with some justification, that an officer who fires a magnum in a crowded city is more likely to kill innocent non-combatives than the would be if armed with a standard .38 Special. Not much mention is given to the fact that the same officer runs a hell of a lot more risk of being killed himself when his low-powered .38 fails to put an armed opponent out of action.

The .357 can, when necessary, be loaded down to any desired velocity level that will preclude unwanted penetration and yet offer a very good stopping power with proper bullets.

The Texas Department of Public Safety and the U.S. Border Patrol have accepted the .357 as standard for the patrol officers. Many of these well-trained cops frequently work in crowded, metropolitian areas. Those that do find it a simple thing to load their magnums with medium-velocity handloads, sometimes with expanding bullets that are good manstoppers but which won't penetrate dangerously. These thinking cops carry full-powered "maggie" loads in the bullet loops of their Sam Brown belts. If the need arises to stop a car of rouse out a barricaded gunman, they can do it.

The long suit of the .357 is its versatility in handling a wide range of special-purpose cartridges. These range from powder-puff .38 Special target loads to full-powered hunting rounds of up to 1600 fps velocity.

I have used many different bullet styles besides the Lyman 358156, although it as remained nearest my heart. A flatnosed semiwadcutter bullet performs best in the .357, especially in heavier loads, and several other good designs are available. In preparing to load for this caliber, some thought should be given to the use of the swaged half-jacket bullets, although I have found them to be generally less satisfactory than good cast bullets, due to their leading qualities and to their greater expense.

Below is a table of my favorite .357 loads, seperated into three categories. The first two section, light loads and medium loads, can be put up in either .38 Special or .357 cases. I generally load these in .38 Special cases so they can be redily identified and also because the .38 brass is cheaper. The third section, heavy loads, should be assembled in sound, clean .357 cases. While not each is a maximum load, they perform better than any other combinations of the same bullet and powder that I have tried. Bullets used are .357-inch diameter. Velocities are estimated to be those obtained in a 8 3/8-inch-barreled revolver.

Since so many varying factors aply to make the results of handloading good, indifferent, or disastrous, neither Shooting Times nor I can be responsible for results obtained by the reader. I can only say that these loads have been safe and useful in my guns.

.357 Light Loads
Bullet (Grs.) (Type) Velocity (fps)
Lyman 158-gr 358156 5.3 Unique 900
Lyman 150-gr 357446 hp 5.0 5066 950
Lyman 170-gr 358429 3.5 Bullseye 850
150-gr. swaged half jacket 5.0 Unique 900
.357 Medium Loads
Lyman 158-gr 358156 13.5 2400 1200
Lyman 150-gr. 358156 HP 13.5 2400 1250
Lyman 150-gr 358156 HP 7.0 Unique 1250
Lyman 170-gr 358429 6.0 Unique 1150
Lyman 158-gr 357466 5.0 Red Dot 1000
Lyman 158-gr 357466 12.0 4759 1250
150-gr swaged half jacket 7.5 Unique 1300
.357 Heavy Loads
Lyman 150-gr 358156 HP 15.5 2400 1500
Lyman 158-gr 358156 15.0 2400 1450
Lyman 150-gr 358156 HP 15.0 4227 1400
Lyman 158-gr 158156 8.0 Unique 1400
Lyman 150-gr 358156 HP 14.0 Sharpshooter 1600
Lyman 158-gr 357466 14.5 2400 1450
Lyman 170-gr 358429 14.5 2400 1400
Lyman 170-gr 358429 13.5 H2400 1350
150-gr swaged half jacket 14.5 2400 1400
This list, of course, is by no means a comprehensive selection of .357 loads. It merely represents some that have worked well in my experience. Powder charges listed here may be used with other bullet of the same weight and similar design, but it is well to remember that a plainbase bullet, such as the 357466, will give higher pressures with teh same powder charge than the gaschecked 358156. Too, a bullet case of soft alloy will show higher pressures and more barrel leading than one composed of a hard mixture, such as 1:10 tin to lead.

Barrel lengths affect muzzle velocities, but not as much as you may think. Longer barrels do a better job of burning the slow powders necessary for magnum loads, and many hunters buy guns with uncomfortably long barrels in order to squeeze the last foot-second of velocity from their loads.

Tests have shown that in cutting a 8 3/8-inch-barreled Smith .357 off one inch at a time, only about 35 fps velocity is lost for each inch removed when factory or high-velocity handloads are fired. This means that the shooter who carries a 8 3/8-inch model that gives 1500 fps would still get 1415 fps out of a six-inch revolver and 1435 fps if he chopped her down to four inches. The game he shoots isn't likely to know the difference, and the maggie man should pick the barrel length that he can shoot best, and carry most comfortably.

In the middle '30s, the Smith & Wesson was the only sixgun chambered in .357. Colt didn't seem especially interested in the cartridge but did produce a few Model P single actions in that caliber, along with a sprinkling of New Service and Shooting Master double actions with its .45 frame. These prewar Colts are now collector's items.

Today Smith & Wesson offers it's old original model, slightly refined, as well as a less highly finished version of the same gun, called the Highway Patrolman. Advances in metallurgy have enabled Smith & Wesson to chamber it's .38 Special revolver for the .357 cartridge, and it holds forth as the Combat Magnum, filled up with target sights and a heavy, ribbed barrel.

Colt sells .357 sixguns in the form of the old Model P single action and its target-sighted offspring, the New Frontier. The Python, an improved version of the famous .38 Officers Model target revolver, is the top gun in the Colt line and one of the most popular .357's used by police. The Trooper is a less fancy version, competing with the S&W Highway Patrolman in price.

Sturm, Ruger & Co. came out with its .357 Blackhawk in 1955, and it is an extremely practical, durable hunting arm. Intercontinental Arms of Los Angeles imports the Dakota, a good replica of the Colt single action from Italy that can be had in .357. Intercontinental also sells a sturdy derringer in the same caliber.

All of these handguns are strong and accurate. At one time or another, I have carried each of them at my side on hunting trips or in law-enforcement work. If i had to choose just one gun to side me for the rest of my life, be it handgun, rifle or shotgun, I would select a .357 Magnum revolver.

So if youre in a critical mood, pal, lay off my .357 - it's an old friend of mine.

Skeeter Skelton, June 1988

No one has ever said it better. I really miss Skeeter's writing.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16

Dave

well there might be a 1890's vintage colt in .41 laying around here someplace. Interesting caliber, they weren't all the same diameter bullets.
Posted By: Dogger Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
Somewhere/sometime I recall Brian Pearce writing an article where he stated that Skeeter's pick was the .357, Elmer's pick was the .44 magnum, and if pushed to go with a factory load, Elmer would choose the 45 Colt with the factory 250/255 grain loads by Winchester or Remington.

I once had a Ruger GP100 with six inch barrel, would not mind having it back... and i would be tempted to ask a good gunsmith to convert it to a five shot 41 special... ha.
Well, truth told, I picked up the GP100 I currently have because of the gunsmith who is doing conversions on GP's to 10mm.

It is a 625.00 job, but a GP100 comes out shooting the 10mm out of Moon Clips.

It would seem to me to be a pretty handy setup.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Yes, though some years ago a guy had Starline make a run of 10,000. I bought 500 then so I am well set.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
I do like a good .357 magnum revolver. Currently I am down to just three. Smith Model 19 and a model 65, and an elderly Python.
The Model 65 actually gets quite a bit of carry time. 3 inch barrel, DAO, built by S&W custom shop.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
I am down to two in .357. After discovering the .44 SPL it was hard to go back to the .357.
Nice looking carry piece, Sam.
Posted By: limofarm Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
had a 4" security six on my hip all day, so I guess I still like them
Posted By: cra1948 Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
Got 4, I think. SP 101 2" I haven't seen in years (my brother's got it, won't give it back, it's his favorite for when he's on the bench, even though he's got a S&W 3" performance center 66, go figger), a NM Blackhawk, a 6" 27 and a performance center 627. I like all of them, seldom use any of them. Probably of all my CF revolvers I use the .41 magnums the most, followed by the .44's, then the .357's.
Originally Posted by EdM

Dave

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It is badazz accurate with the new long cylinder, having it's bolt welded up and fitted tight then being line bored. Throws 220's at 800 fps so 45 ACP-like while weighing 25 oz.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/20/16
Ed, you're right. That's a badass little piece there.
Posted By: 4ager Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/21/16
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

Dave

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It is badazz accurate with the new long cylinder, having it's bolt welded up and fitted tight then being line bored. Throws 220's at 800 fps so 45 ACP-like while weighing 25 oz.

Impossible to not like that.
Posted By: Oheremicus Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/21/16
Yep still a great choice.
One of the most effective small game cartriages I've ever used was a Smith K-38 with factory wadcutter ammo. A good .357 will do as well.
I've never killed a deer with one, but I've seen lots of them killed with less.
The nicest thing about the .357 is it's versitility. Heck, rather than buy a new gun, one simply adjusts his load either up or down to do whatever needs doing.
One can argue that the muzzle blast is on par with the larger magnums. At least it seems that way to me. But the recoil is no where near as bad as the .41 and .44 Magnums.
And talk about shooting cheap, .38 Special brass is as cheap as it comes, and is availiable as once fired, etc. With cast bullets, if one casts his own, the costs are close to that of the .22 Long Rifle. Especially if one can recover his bullets.
I've owned two .357's. I've owned or own .22 rimfires, both magnum and LR, the 5.7 FN, the .256 Ruger Hawkeye, 3 9mm's, 3 .38 Specials, a .41 Magnum, a 10mm, two .44 Magnums, and 5 .45 ACP's. After all of that, none has shown me the wide range of uses that the .357 has.
Some of the cops still prefer it. It's very popular with the Cowboy Action Crowd, as well as casual target shooters, and hunters. It may not do anything really well, but it does many thing quite well. E
Posted By: TC1 Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/21/16
I picked up a really nice one yesterday. It's a Ruger GP100 .357 3" barreled Wiley Clapp Talo limited edition. I've been looking at these for awhile and walked in Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday and they had one for about $70 less than I'd seen them for anywhere else. I decided it was time to get off the fence and get it. It's been a long time since I owned .357 cool

[Linked Image]

I really like the matte blue finish on this pistol and the grip just fits my hand. The rear Novak sight is just Dick Tracy cool. I imagine it'll be rugged and reliable.

[Linked Image]

IMO, it's a neato wheelgun.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/21/16
Originally Posted by TC1
I picked up a really nice one yesterday. It's a Ruger GP100 .357 3" barreled Wiley Clapp Talo limited edition. I've been looking at these for awhile and walked in Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday and they had one for about $70 less than I'd seen them for anywhere else. I decided it was time to get off the fence and get it. It's been a long time since I owned .357 cool

[Linked Image]

I really like the matte blue finish on this pistol and the grip just fits my hand. The rear Novak sight is just Dick Tracey cool. I imagine it'll be rugged and reliable.

[Linked Image]

If I were to have another one, it would be one of those. Great looking little wheelguns.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/21/16
Originally Posted by TC1

[Linked Image]

I really like the matte blue finish on this pistol and the grip just fits my hand. The rear Novak sight is just Dick Tracey cool. I imagine it'll be rugged and reliable.

[Linked Image]

TC1, that's a neat ass looking SP101! Never saw one with the Novak rear before.

Picked this one up today. 27-2 5", presentation case and paperwork. I've lusted after one for a while and today was the day. Paid a little more than I wanted, but gun is pristine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: bcolorado Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/21/16
There is the 357 and there is the k-frame,

together they are quite the combo.

Have the k frame in various barrel lengths and run from 38 special to lighter load 357, perhaps 38++p.

a favorite, the 19-3

pinned, recessed, deep deep bluing and just plain shoots...

[Linked Image]\
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/21/16
Count me as a 357 Mag fan. Have them in S&W 19, 27(x2), 66(x2), 520, 627, and 620. Don't carry or shoot them am much as I once did, find myself shooting the Rossi 720, S&W 329PD, and S&W 625MG with heavier, but slower, bullets more often.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/21/16
Originally Posted by local_dirt
[quote=TC1]I picked up a really nice one yesterday. It's a Ruger GP100 .357 3" barreled Wiley Clapp Talo limited edition. I've been looking at these for awhile and walked in Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday and they had one for about $70 less than I'd seen them for anywhere else. I decided it was time to get off the fence and get it. It's been a long time since I owned .357 cool

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

TC1, that's a neat ass looking SP101! Never saw one with the Novak rear before.]

That's a 3" GP 100. It's the WIley Clapp version brought out by Talo.

Posted By: GF1 Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/21/16
5" S&W 27-2, factory target grips cut down to fit my hand. I bought this gun new 35 years ago, it is accurate and handy, has been lots of places:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: HawkI Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/21/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Starline has headstamped brass available right now....

Regarding the 357; IMO, best if ran with 160 gr. bullets in the 1,100 fps range without the slow burning powders. As factory loaded, its noise and racket is worse than anything attributed to the hand. A great round with muffs in factory guise and a waste of time without them, unless ringing ears is a goal.
Still, my best 100 yard offhand paper group is with a 4" King Cobra loaded to max with H110 and Speer 110's....

Its best witness is that it eats 38's in 38 cases or above plus P plus in its own cases, all in DA mode.

Its greatest weakness in the hunting field is that it isn't a 41, a 44 and isn't even close to the 45 Colt, even at its ear piercing best.
Posted By: K1500 Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/21/16
Old model Blackhawk 4 5/8" was my first centerfire handgun. I still have it and on a shot for shot basis, it is still the most fun gun I have to shoot. My daughter agrees, as she always asks to shoot it at the end of any range session, with magnum loads. She is lights out with it. In contrast, she hates my wife's 3" Model 60 pro. Too much recoil in that small frame and it isn't as much fun to shoot, even with .38's.
Posted By: TC1 Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/22/16
Some beautiful pistols on this thread for sure. Those 27's are nice!
Posted By: dave284 Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/23/16
I really like the look of that Novak rear sight on your GP100. It's making me wonder what it would look like on my stainless SP101 3". It is fixed sight now with the groved topstrap. If milling the topstrap flat wouldn't leave it to thin .... Might make me carry/shoot it more. The next time I make a trip to Parkersburg I may take it with me.

Dave.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/23/16
Well, truth told, I picked up the GP100 I currently have because of the gunsmith who is doing conversions on GP's to 10mm.

It is a 625.00 job, but a GP100 comes out shooting the 10mm out of Moon Clips.

It would seem to me to be a pretty handy setup.

You should definitely do this and report back.......

I'm curious how it performs with .40s since it appears there's going to be a lot of that on hand at work.
Posted By: TC1 Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/23/16
Originally Posted by dave284
I really like the look of that Novak rear sight on your GP100. It's making me wonder what it would look like on my stainless SP101 3". It is fixed sight now with the groved topstrap. If milling the topstrap flat wouldn't leave it to thin .... Might make me carry/shoot it more. The next time I make a trip to Parkersburg I may take it with me.

Dave.

They did a Wiley Clapp SP101 too. It's a 2 1/2" model though. This should give you a good idea of how it would look on yours though. A 3" SP101 with that sight would be nice!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/23/16
Have several.. one of my favorite calibers for all around shooting and carrying except in big bear country..
Posted By: dave284 Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/23/16
Thanks for posting that pic.

Dave.
Posted By: ingwe Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/23/16
My 3...

Tore-Ass Titanium
Model 19
Model 66

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 4ager Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/23/16
Just send that Ti ToreAss to me.

The Poopbah shouldn't be troubled with such things.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/23/16
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Picked this one up today. 27-2 5", presentation case and paperwork. I've lusted after one for a while and today was the day. Paid a little more than I wanted, but gun is pristine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Congratulations! IMO .357s don't get any better than that, (OK Pythons are pretty cool too), and you should be VERY proud of your purchase.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/23/16
Originally Posted by GF1
5" S&W 27-2, factory target grips cut down to fit my hand. I bought this gun new 35 years ago, it is accurate and handy, has been lots of places:

[Linked Image]

You were a wise man 35yrs ago, and wise every year after that you've held onto that beauty.
Posted By: GF1 Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/24/16
Thanks. It was $325, wood case and all. Also still have the Bianchi holster (no longer made in 5") and matching belt, though I'll confess the belt is smaller than it used to be.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gunner500 Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/24/16
I dearly love my old first gen Colt Trooper in 357 mag CT, it's a simple 4" blue gun that's more accurate than I am, can't see myself ever without it.
Posted By: ingwe Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/24/16
Just send that Ti ToreAss to me.

The Poopbah shouldn't be troubled with such things.

You wouldn't like it.

Its a finicky bastid but is sure nice to carry!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/24/16
I was feeling a bit of nostalgia the other day and strapped my old Trooper on in it's Galco cant with four speedloaders in the left pocket of my Carhartt coat and went to the big city of Ft. Smith, didn't feel a bit impotent carrying that old six-shooter. grin
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/24/16
Originally Posted by gunner500
I was feeling a bit of nostalgia the other day and strapped my old Trooper on in it's Galco cant with four speedloaders in the left pocket of my Carhartt coat and went to the big city of Ft. Smith, didn't feel a bit impotent carrying that old six-shooter. grin

That is a whole lot of hate and discontent to make a run at the big city....
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/24/16
Fear and loathing in Fort Smith.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/24/16
Just don't burn the Christmas Tree in the fireplace.
Posted By: Stan V Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/24/16
Love me some 357. Have a 66 4", a 66 6" and a 586 4".

Mostly shoot 158gr lswc at 1000fps

Looking for a 686 4" and a 27 4"
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/24/16
[Linked Image]

I ain't exactly hurting for a 357, but they don't get a lot of use it seems. maybe that is what I need to remedy.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/24/16
Always figured if I got serious about thinning the herd a 4" .357 would be the last centerfire to go.

Well, I got serious. Just sold the last big bore* and am only keeping two .357 revolvers although both happen to have 6" barrels. A Ruger NM Blackhawk and a GP-100 stainless with half lug are what made the final cut. The chambering is simply too versatile to let go. Super cheap to shoot with .38's or mid-range cast loads, each bullet only uses up a bit over half the lead of the larger bores. Loaded full out with a good 160 WFN or 180 grain bullet it's serious medicine. As a defense load with 125 grain bullets at warp speed it was the gold standard for stopping loads for quite a while, still may be AFAIK.

While one can't compare its efficacy with the .44 and .45 bore for big game hunting, when it was first introduced in 1935 people used it to take all kinds of big game, including some large bears. IIRC Phil Shoemaker's daughter carries a .357 as bear protection and that's a good enough recommendation for me.

Loud as hell, by the time I was 19 I had a 10-15% high frequency hearing loss from the good old .357, at least according to Army doctors. That was when only wimps wore hearing protection. shocked But it shoots flat and even at full power in standard size revolvers it doesn't kick bad at all - too good to ever be without. wink

Added: Rambling here, but the expansion ratio is such that the .357 really benefits from longer barrels. Not that a 4" barrel isn't perfectly fine but in tanks like these Rugers you can cram darn near as much 296 under the bullet as you want and with a 6" or 6 1/2" barrel really send that sucker out at high speed. The longer barrel also keeps the blast down. Okay, at least a little bit. wink

* just counting revolvers, still have a couple of .45 ACP and 9mm semi-autos.
Posted By: Timberbuck Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/24/16
A medium frame double action .357 is one of the most if not the most versatile handguns a person could own.

IMO its not any more "dated" today than it was 50 years ago.

Posted By: local_dirt Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/25/16
Thanks, 222Rem. I'm very happy to have found it.
Posted By: bea175 Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/25/16
My opinion the 4 inch Smith 686 is the best 357 magnum you can own and i would never sell my 686 4 inch.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/25/16
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Always figured if I got serious about thinning the herd a 4" .357 would be the last centerfire to go.

Well, I got serious. Just sold the last big bore* and am only keeping two .357 revolvers although both happen to have 6" barrels. A Ruger NM Blackhawk and a GP-100 stainless with half lug are what made the final cut. The chambering is simply too versatile to let go. Super cheap to shoot with .38's or mid-range cast loads, each bullet only uses up a bit over half the lead of the larger bores. Loaded full out with a good 160 WFN or 180 grain bullet it's serious medicine. As a defense load with 125 grain bullets at warp speed it was the gold standard for stopping loads for quite a while, still may be AFAIK.

While one can't compare its efficacy with the .44 and .45 bore for big game hunting, when it was first introduced in 1935 people used it to take all kinds of big game, including some large bears. IIRC Phil Shoemaker's daughter carries a .357 as bear protection and that's a good enough recommendation for me.

Loud as hell, by the time I was 19 I had a 10-15% high frequency hearing loss from the good old .357, at least according to Army doctors. That was when only wimps wore hearing protection. shocked But it shoots flat and even at full power in standard size revolvers it doesn't kick bad at all - too good to ever be without. wink

Added: Rambling here, but the expansion ratio is such that the .357 really benefits from longer barrels. Not that a 4" barrel isn't perfectly fine but in tanks like these Rugers you can cram darn near as much 296 under the bullet as you want and with a 6" or 6 1/2" barrel really send that sucker out at high speed. The longer barrel also keeps the blast down. Okay, at least a little bit. wink

* just counting revolvers, still have a couple of .45 ACP and 9mm semi-autos.

try a full metal jacket bullet in there, i think i got the idea from the shoemaker daughter thing.
They will punch through things.
the penn bullets 230 grain are interesting too.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/25/16

Seen a coupla open carriers and a few concealed gun hands that I could tell were packing, bet they'd all laugh their asses off if they seen what was hiding under my carhartt. grin
Just don't burn the Christmas Tree in the fireplace.

LOL, the Christmas tree is out in Wifeys brim pond waiting on fish eggs, I guess. laugh
Posted By: ingwe Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/25/16
You have a brim pond?

I hope you have a spare bedroom! laugh
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/25/16

Seen a coupla open carriers and a few concealed gun hands that I could tell were packing, bet they'd all laugh their asses off if they seen what was hiding under my carhartt. grin

Old buddy, I gotta say I DOUBT that.
Originally Posted by ingwe
You have a brim pond?

No "I" don't, I just get to brush-hog the grass down and keep the lawn chairs staked in the dirt, that's Wifeys fishin' hole. grin

But do have 4 spare bedrooms.laugh

LOL, dono CT, a 22 shot tac-ops 9 would look mighty hi-tech spacey up next to my old 6 shot. grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/25/16
Originally Posted by ingwe
You have a brim pond?

No "I" don't, I just get to brush-hog the grass down and keep the lawn chairs staked in the dirt, that's Wifeys fishin' hole. grin

But do have 4 spare bedrooms.laugh

From what you've told me about your wife, she could kick my ass.....so I guess I'll brim fish elsewhere..... whistle
She could kick both our butts and we couldn't catch her either, have you ran your 30 miles today Poohbah? grin

me either! laugh

LOL, dono CT, a 22 shot tac-ops 9 would look mighty hi-tech spacey up next to my old 6 shot. grin

Might do it, but I'd be more interested in what I see in or behind a man's eyes than what kind of hardware he has on his belt.

Which is to say, a 6 and a half foot ogre with a Colt's Magnum on his belt is no laughing matter.
Which is to say, a 6 and a half foot ogre with a Colt's Magnum on his belt is no laughing matter.

That's pretty damn FUNNY right there CT. laugh laugh
Yeah, and true.
Enjoying this lighthearted banter with you men here on the 'fire tonight, good thing I went and checked the mirror and ask the boss for the day off tomorrow, sometimes ya just gotta break and run Buddy.
Yessir, it is good to talk with friends.
Posted By: Stuart Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/26/16
And for those with very deep pockets there is the new Webley Mk.VII, chambered in .357. How deep? Apparently $10k shocked Hand-made in England, with only 50 produced per year, so think "best English double" but in a revolver.

I like Webleys but at that price I'd "put up with" one of the new Mk. VI in .455 that Webley & Scott are trying to get back into production for <$1k.
Posted By: RGK Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/26/16
Just whacked a pig with the 66 on the bottom. S&W tuned it and installed the Patridge front sight.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RGK Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/26/16
Sold all my 27s except this one. 27-2 with a set set of custom Herretts. Heavy but a great shooter.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stuart Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/26/16
Originally Posted by RGK
Sold all my 27s except this one. 27-2 with a set set of custom Herretts. Heavy but a great shooter.
Bob

Well, if you must restrict yourself to just one, that looks like a beaut. Love the grips.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/27/16
I was sitting here looking at this thread and also looking at a pistola on my desk. It used to be a model28, but has a 44special barrel on it now, action job, target hammer, trigger, the whole works. A skeeter skelton special.
Model 28's can be used for all kinds of things.
Posted By: EdM Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/27/16
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I was sitting here looking at this thread and also looking at a pistola on my desk. It used to be a model28, but has a 44special barrel on it now, action job, target hammer, trigger, the whole works. A skeeter skelton special.
Model 28's can be used for all kinds of things.

That they can. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JBARTRAM Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/27/16
Does that bbl stamp read "38 WCF"?

as in 38-40?

beauty b/t/w.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/27/16
[Linked Image]I love the 38-40.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/28/16
Originally Posted by JBARTRAM
Does that bbl stamp read "38 WCF"?

as in 38-40?

beauty b/t/w.

Yes it does. That gun is a pure piece of art.
Posted By: hogan Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/30/16
The .357 is kind of "traditional"...

Like many traditions, there are few reasons to continue if examined closely. Yet, "the first magnum" is the .357's legacy. But since Major Wesson and Al Gogerg(sp?) were using the first S&W handguns to take Big Game, there have been many improvements in the magnum arena.

Elmer Keith's deal was the .44 Special and he lobbied for the .44 Rem Mag. That round is many times more the cartridge the .357mag is. If you handload, it is many, many more times versatile.

Can say that about almost all the later magnum developments; maybe even the .45 Colt with all the new bullets and powders.

What is the point of the .357mag these days?
WAY TOO MUCH muzzle flash, recoil, and pressure to achieve the performance it is supposed to deliver.

Load anything bigger with mild powdercharge or Specials and you have more control and more bullet.

Aside from the S&W 329, the one thing the .357mag has going for it is frame size and relatively easy concealment. Maybe that matters? A 4" model 29 will also ride in my rear jeans pocket, but not as easily or lightly as a 2.5" model 19/66.

I'm still wondering why I hang on to my .357s?

I got no use for one in the field where I live. Have not fired a single magnum round in 15yrs except to use up some old odd-lot ammo.

Any handloader is way ahead of the game using a larger bore cartridge. I will say a model 27 is a lot of fun to shoot .38sp wadcutters with, those being almost a parlor load item for light recoil and accuracy. If I need Power, I will go larger and not be beat up as much by the recoil and muzzleblast. 2x heavier bullet at same velocity with larger diameter is just a better way to go.
Posted By: EdM Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/30/16
Though I loathe the round I do like some of its offerings.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/30/16
I like the 357 because the guns are light and you can shoot it all day long without beating you up or going broke on handloads. I can't imagine a 200 gr cast @ 1200 fps bouncing off a deer and throttle down to 160's @ 1000 fps and you have a small game & plinking round w/o peer.
Posted By: EdM Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/30/16
This piece shoots great but does not see 357 Mag ammo.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: The 357 Magnum - 01/31/16
That's a Max isn't it?
Posted By: tlfw Re: The 357 Magnum - 02/01/16
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: The 357 Magnum - 02/01/16
Yeah, I really don't think they work all that well, just a passing fad.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: ihookem Re: The 357 Magnum - 02/01/16
I had a nice Ruger Blackhawk, stales in .357MAG. for 200 bucks. I wish I didn't sell it. It was surprisingly accurate. I just didn't shoot it that much at all. I almost alway sweet with 38. SPC. I want another but am afraid I won't shoot it cause I have a Ruger SR9E and a Ruger 22 MARK lll.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: The 357 Magnum - 02/02/16
Well, ihookem, the beauty of the sickness is that you don't have to shoot them to want to give them a home....
Posted By: 79inpa Re: The 357 Magnum - 02/02/16
Originally Posted by RGK
Just whacked a pig with the 66 on the bottom. S&W tuned it and installed the Patridge front sight.
Bob

[Linked Image]

what ammo did you use on the hawg. I've been wondering what the proper bullet selection for those animals is.
Posted By: dodgefan Re: The 357 Magnum - 02/03/16
Any of you 357 fans need a set of Dillon .357 dies? I was digging through some stuff looking for 45 brass the other day and found a set I'd got in a trade and forgot about.

I'll ship and you pay shipping plus whatever you think they're worth after checking them out.
© 24hourcampfire