Home
Posted By: RJM Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16
When releasing the slide on a semi-auto handgun that is in the lockback position, not counting guns like a CZ52, small pocket autos, etc. that don't have a slide release, do you:

Slingshot: Use the support hand to pull the slide back and release it

Strong side thumb: Using the thumb of the hand that holds and fires the gun

Support side thumb: Using the thumb of the hand that is not holding the gun

Other: Which way if none of the above....

I have a CZ52 and a couple of small semis that don't have a slide release and those are the only ones I use the Slingshot Method on.

If dropping the slide just to chamber a round before putting the safety on and then holstering or just casual/target shooting I use my strong hand thumb. If speed loading where shots are going to continue to be fired after the slide is down then as I slam the magazine home I just roll my support hand up to the shooting position and drop the side with the tip of the support hand thumb...

....and you Lefties...what works best for you?

Just wondering what works for you and why...

Bob
Posted By: DaveinWV Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16
I've got short fingers so it depends on the pistol. My 1911 I use my support hand thumb (left) to push the slide release, my Ruger MK II .22 I sling shot it, my SIG P220 I use my right thumb to drop the slide.
Have had several match shooters tell me that pressing the slide release down will eventually wear the notch enough that it won't hold the slide back, so I always use the slingshot method.

Granted it will take LOTS of rounds, but why rush wear?

Virgil B.
Originally Posted by RJM

If dropping the slide just to chamber a round before putting the safety on and then holstering or just casual/target shooting I use my strong hand thumb. If speed loading where shots are going to continue to be fired after the slide is down then as I slam the magazine home I just roll my support hand up to the shooting position and drop the side with the tip of the support hand thumb...

^ This is what I do on guns that have slide releases, for the most part, but with my 22 LR target pistols, I do usually slingshot the slide, & occasionally, I might on something else, but slingshotting is not my norm for most guns.

MM
Left-handed here. I used to release 1911 slides with my trigger finger but went to slingshot long ago.
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16
it's a slide catch not a slide release

wink
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16
If the slide stop lever will release the slide with minimal effort, I use the strong side thumb. If it requires more than minimal effort, I use the slingshot. I can use the strong side thumb on my Glock 19 and 43 but have to use the slingshot with the Glock 30.
"....and you Lefties...what works best for you?"

Lefties have it better as the slide release and the magazine release are easiest to hit with the trigger finger (for me anyway).

On guns that the Mag release can be switched (Gen 4 Glock & M&P) I keep them on the left side so all of my guns are set up the same.

What I hate is the NON ambidextrous safety on my Ruger MK III's and Colt Woodsman Pistols.

Jerry
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
it's a slide catch not a slide releasewink

Could be wrong... but I think that little lever thingy is a 'release'. wink

Jerry
Posted By: UtahLefty Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16
I've never been around a reputable instructor that refrained from stopping the line and whacking someone in the back of the head upon catching them using the slide stop as a release!

that and pinching the slide rather than grabbing it overhand

wink
Lefty here, I swipe the slide release with the side of my trigger finger (Glock).

Never been taught to slingshot the slide, but I've seen it done more than once where the shooter rode it home too far, and the slide didn't lock into battery.

I've never been around a reputable instructor that refrained from stopping the line and whacking someone in the back of the head upon catching them using the slide stop as a release!

that and pinching the slide rather than grabbing it overhand

wink

You knew my dad?.........grin
Posted By: 41magfan Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16
I use various methods depending on the gun and shooting position I might be shooting from. What works well standing may not be the most effective method when shooting prone. A method that works well with a full-size service pistol gets sketchy with a small pocket pistol.

Some platforms lend themselves to one method over the other depending on whether the pistol has a slide release or a slide stop.

Lastly, since the thing is called a handgun (singular), I think a well-rounded shooter should be able to operate all of the pistols controls with just the shooting hand. If you only know one way of doing things, your performance might get hijacked if things don’t go as expected.
Posted By: TAGLARRY Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16
In combat shooting they reach you NOT to use the SLIDE STOP to release the slide into battery. You should grab the slide with four fingers and your palm (not thumb and pointer finger) over the top of the slide, pull back hard and release ( letting only the spring pull the slide forward, not following the slide forward with your hand), and continue the fight.

Typically, fine motor skills like manipulating the SLIDE STOP with your thumb are lost during stress.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16

wink

There is the bottom line!

I always do the "slingshot" as it is the most likely to put the pistol into full battery lockup.
Posted By: Mesabi Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16
I think the slingshot method gained popularity with the rise of the Glock. Early IPSC shooters usually seemed to use the slide lock/release when the 1911 was dominant.
People who argue about nomenclature usually only do so because they're not qualified to talk about theory and technique.

If your slide won't go fully into battery by using the slidecatchrelease, fix your gun.

There are advantages to both methods, good instructors realize that. Some shooters are better suited to different techniques, good shooters realize that.
Posted By: dodgefan Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16
Probably 90% of my pistol shooting has been on a Beretta 92 or an issued M9. I can't reach the the slide release with my strong hand without moving the gun around a bunch so I use the support hand like RJM.
I don't own a 1911 now, but when I did I used my strong hand thumb to release it.
I have a feeling the four finger and thumb over the top of the slide, is a technique that became more prevalent with the rise in popularity of autoloaders.

This method is probably most useful for those with limited hand strength.

Most old school autos have some type of grippy area near the end of the slide for the older school slingshot method.

For me, it is faster and more intuitive for my weak-hand to load the fresh magazine and slide right back into the shooting position, while my trigger finger (which is already straight along the frame) simply swipes down on the slide catch/release.

To load the magazine, then go weak-hand over slide, or slingshot, then back into the shooting hold, takes a little bit more time.

Bottom line, use what works best for you. Lots of people have different abilities and limitations.
Slingshot, it's how I trained so that's what I do. Trying to hit the slide lock thingy (how's that for terminology?) makes me look like a retarded sloth.
Left handed here.

For any handgun with a slide release lever, drop magazine with left trigger finger. Insert new mag with right hand. Drop slide with left trigger finger on slidecatchreleasetakedownpin as right hand moves back into support position. Resume shooting.

If the slingshot method is used, grasp rear of slide with thumb and curled forefinger of right hand, pull back and release.

Been doing that for 47 years and a bit late to change.

When TAK always talked about the dead man’s gun or whatever with the M9 where a person grasping the slide accidentally puts the safety on I always wondered how someone could do that, then realized he was talking about people wrapping their hand over the top of the slide so the thumb pushing down on the safety engages it. With thumb and forefinger the forefinger is curled around and under the safety so the only way it can pull is up which never engages the safety.

I forget which manufacturer, maybe Ruger for their Mk series .22’s or Kahr, advises in their manual to always use the slide release lever to drop the slide on a fresh magazine, never slingshot as the slide release method always results in more positive chambering of the round.

Just an addendum, but IIRC that slide release drop was how we were taught to do it in Army basic training. Those 1911’s we used for training had likely been in service since Korea and the slide notches were still working like they should.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
People who argue about nomenclature usually only do so because they're not qualified to talk about theory and technique.

If your slide won't go fully into battery by using the slidecatchrelease, fix your gun.

There are advantages to both methods, good instructors realize that. Some shooters are better suited to different techniques, good shooters realize that.

Well said, and very true.
Posted By: RJM Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16
Thanks for all the replies...I hope it can remain "civil" as in much of life, there isn't just one "right" way to do things...and for those instructors who would smack someone for not using "THE" way, they have no business instructing.

As to terminology...in the Brownells catalog a 1911 slide release is called a "slide stop"...a Glock is called a "slide release". On a Ruger MKII/III it is a "bolt release". Which is kinda ironic because most people I know who are into 1911s use the part as a "release" whereas most people I know with Glocks slingshot. Both systems have extended "releases" so to say this part should not be used as such is silly.

Back when I started shooting combat style matches in the early 1970s everyone used the slide release. I believe the first change from using the slide release to slingshot was the SIG Academy. Reason being that the placement of the slide release being high up on he grip and very small contributed to many a student botching a reload. Glocks are in about the same place and about the same size.

If one carries a DA semi-auto like a Beretta 92, P38 or older S&W that has a hammer drop safety on the slide if using the slingshot method there is the possibility under stress of activating the safety in which case a shooter gets nothing but squish upon pulling the trigger. I have seen this happen about a half dozen times since I started firearms training in 1991.

And as has been pointed out, when one uses only the slingshot method, one a) turns a handgun into a handsgun and b) if ones support hand becomes unavailable to help with the reload one may balk...I have seen this happen in one handed reload training when a student who always loads slingshot would have to stop and look at his gun when just a thumb or index finger on the release would have send the slide home.

Great comments....Bob
Posted By: RJM Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
When TAK always talked about the dead man’s gun or whatever with the M9 where a person grasping the slide accidentally puts the safety on I always wondered how someone could do that, then realized he was talking about people wrapping their hand over the top of the slide so the thumb pushing down on the safety engages it. With thumb and forefinger the forefinger is curled under the safety so the only way it can push is up which never puts the safety in the safe position.

I forget which manufacturer, maybe Ruger for their Mk series .22’s or Kahr, advises in their manual to always use the slide release lever to drop the slide on a fresh magazine, never slingshot as the slide release method always results in more positive chambering of the round.

Just an addendum, but IIRC that slide release drop was how we were taught to do it in Army basic training. Those 1911’s we used for training had likely been in service since Korea and the slide notches were still working like they should.

I've have done demos with a S&W 6906 putting the safety on just grabbing the back of the slide right over the safety lever just pulling straight back.

It may be Kahr...I have a P380 and CW9...if I slingshot from a full mag it will FTF 50% of the time. The P380 was bought used and had a note inside the box from the original owner warning of this.

When I read that above post about some match shooters saying the slide stop notch would wear out I almost fell off my chair laughing...

Bob
Which is why I use the slide release and keep my hands away from the safety lever entirely.

Besides which, my other hand is holding my saber. IIRC the 1911 was originally intended for use by cavalry and infantry.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16
This depends on what pistol I'm using if i use the slide release or not.
FYI, if you plan on releasing the slide on a Kahr using the slide stop/slide release, you may want to dehorn that sucker a bit first. YMMV.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16
I tend to do what jim in idaho does, being left handed. I use my trigger finger to hit the mag release, right hand to reload, and sling shot the slide.
a couple of the pistols have strong enough springs just using a finger on the release would not cut it.
I have a beretta 92 that i reversed the mag release to the right side and didn't like it.
Just tried to use the slide stop on the CW9, no way my left trigger finger is strong enough to release that and I have to break my grip to hit it. If I were right-handed my thumb could work it without problem. Don't have that problem with larger autos...hmmmm.

Don't recall having failures to feed with either it or the K40 when slingshotting and there is no safety to knock off anyway so I'll continue with that method, I reckon. YMMV.

Really informative thread BTW, thanks for your insight, gents.

Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

I agree.

To add to this, any instructor who insists that there is only one way to charge a pistol (his way) is more likely than not, not worth his creds. Quite frankly though, A truly gifted teacher of handgun shooting is about as rare as an honest politician.

I have seen literally hundreds of LEO/.mil/.gov instructors, the vast majority of whom, simply put, sucked.

Figuring out what teaching method (learning style) works for an adult learner is usually the first step, along with not being dogmatic in method of operation.

I have seen more guys than I care to remember recite a canned portion of lecture in rapid fire drill sergeant style, because they think it sounds cool, and makes them look cool, all the while completely losing a good portion of a class, who may be struggling with a portion of the lecture. The struggling students never get it figured out, and totally check out.

It usually goes like this :

"""AAAAAAWWL RIIIGHT! This Heeers the M240 BRAVO! It is a general-purpose machine gun. It can be mounted on a bipod, tripod, aircraft, or vehicle. The M240B is a belt-fed, air-cooled, gas-operated, fully automatic machine gun that fires from the open bolt position

The first step in maintenance is to clear the M240B This applies in all situations,not just after firing The gunner must always assume the M240B is loaded To clear the M240B, the gunner performs the following procedures:

Move the safety to the fire "F" position With his right hand, (palm up) pulls the cocking handle to the rear, ensuring the bolt is locked to the rear (bipod mode)Return the cocking handle to its forward position Place the safety on safe "S."
Raise the cover assembly and conduct the four-point safety check for brass, links, or ammunition Check the feed pawl assembly under the cover Check the feed tray Lift the feed tray and inspects the chamber Check the space between the face of the bolt and chamber to include the space under the bolt and operating rod assembly Close the feed tray and cover assembly and place the safety to the fire "F" position Pull cocking handle to the rear, and pull the trigger while manually riding the bolt forward. Close the ejection port cover.

THEENDANYQUESTIONS!?MOVINGON!
"""

One long winded run-on sentence. The instructors are "cooler" if their ball cab is dirty and they have a big wad of chew in.

Back to the original topic, it simply depends on the activity I am doing, and what I am doing it with.

cool

Posted By: JOG Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16
I use the slide stop (lefty, left index finger).

I don't buy the 'loss of motor skills' deal. To get to slide lock I have to have the presence to fire the pistol empty, then drop the empty magazine by pressing the release button, acquire a full magazine, index and insert the magazine to lock, then suddenly lose the ability to press the slide stop.

I don't think so.

wink

When it's catching the slide, it becomes the "slide stop"; when I press it to drop the slide, it then becomes the "slide release". wink

Can't take this sh^it too seriously................

YMMV

MM
Posted By: JOG Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16
Potahto.
Posted By: dave284 Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16
I always go over the top with my left hand. A little slower but it works with every semi auto that I'm aware of. Grip and rip as they say.

I usually do so after inserting a fresh clip. whistle

Dave.
I go with what works for that shooter and platform they are using. I tend to go with a slingshot or slide release for two reasons. One, I tore a bunch of tendons in my left elbow which means squeezing over the top is tougher than a slingshot grip. Two, I have seen more jams and problems clearing weapons because the bottom of the palm is covering the ejection port and bouncing an empty or live round back into the action.

I have seen one out of battery detonation with a 1911 with grasping over the top, shooter was trying to clear the gun, bounced a live round back into the action and when he released the slide the ejector hit the primer. I am not saying this is the sole reason I dont do it but it has been on my mind.

As an instructor I have always felt it was my responsibility to give the student options and let them find the solution. I understand the concept of Hicks law overcoming someone under stress but on a sterile and low stress range environment they can examine the options and see what works best for them.
Posted By: deflave Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16
Funny thread.

Clark
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16
If in a hurry, inserting the new mag and slamming it into position will often release the slide and make my gun ready. Otherwise, usually the overhand. Some situations might find me using a different technique, but the 2 I mentioned above covers a vast majority of the times.
Posted By: Redhill Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
If the slide stop lever will release the slide with minimal effort, I use the strong side thumb. If it requires more than minimal effort, I use the slingshot. I can use the strong side thumb on my Glock 19 and 43 but have to use the slingshot with the Glock 30.

Same here...seems to work.
Posted By: lastround Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16
Slingshot. It has always worked for me. I too have always believed that it was a stop, not a release. Just me.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16
I'll slingshot the slide when in the process of chambering a round from a magazine.

But when I release the slide on an empty chamber and magazine -
I'll grasp the top of the slide slowing its freefall as it slams home.

As to using the slide release lever on many of my pistols ...
I don't, as some seem to require excessive force to activate.

Maybe they just need breaking in - but I don't want to break something off!

- Moose

Posted By: FreeMe Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/01/16
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

The manual that came with my K9 advised to use the slide release lever. I have been able to induce a couple of failures to go completely into battery with questionable reloads by trying the slingshot method with that gun. Rap on the back of the slide drove the round to battery - but why set yourself up for that? Yeah - as someone mentioned, that lever is a booger. I have developed a habit of using both thumbs on the K9 slide release...left thumb over the right. Don't even think about it anymore.

I don't remember what Ruger says about the MK release, but I have noticed that the slide stop (not the slide notch) tends to wear some. So on that gun, I tend to slingshot it - but not always (it's a cheap part, after all).

Everything else (1911, HP, Buckmark) gets my right thumb on the release lever. Haven't noticed any wear from it on those.

I'm with JOG on the "fine motor skills" thing. Ain't nothin' to it if the gun fits your hand.
Posted By: deflave Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/02/16
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
One long winded run-on sentence. The instructors are "cooler" if their ball cab is dirty and they have a big wad of chew in.

I never really paid attention to that until about three years ago. Why in the fugk anybody thinks spitting into a trash can every four minutes adds to their credibility, is beyond me.

Travis
As long as it didn't violate some principle of safety, I don't get wound up too much how it is done. Sling shot, hand over, slide stop, no biggie.

The one that did use to make me cramp a little is when shooters would COUNT on being able to make the slide jump forward and chamber a round by slamming a fresh magazine into the pistol hard enough to bump the slide forward. It works all greasy when it works ok, but those same shooters tended to look like a center fielder who just missed an easy pop fly when the slide stayed locked to the rear.

Posted By: P_Weed Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/02/16
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
... on being able to make the slide jump forward and chamber a round by slamming a fresh magazine into the pistol hard enough to bump the slide forward.

That particular maneuver is best left to us experts! cool
Using the slide release is no more of a "fine motor skill" than pressing the trigger, the magazine release or using the sights.

In order of speed-

1) Slide release with strong side thumb.

2) Slide release with weak thumb.

3) Racking the slide.

Using the slide release with the strong thumb is only marginally (.10- 15 second) faster than using the weak thumb, but is more prone to pre-release of the slide.

Using the slide release with the weak thumb is very fast, extremely consistent, and repeatable in daylight, at night, and under stress.

Posted By: deflave Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/02/16
As long as it didn't violate some principle of safety, I don't get wound up too much how it is done. Sling shot, hand over, slide stop, no biggie.

The one that did use to make me cramp a little is when shooters would COUNT on being able to make the slide jump forward and chamber a round by slamming a fresh magazine into the pistol hard enough to bump the slide forward. It works all greasy when it works ok, but those same shooters tended to look like a center fielder who just missed an easy pop fly when the slide stayed locked to the rear.

I count on it.

Dave
RJM
Slide release button-use will likely stop those 1st shot failures. It did on my Taurus Millenium PT111 G2 9mm.
Posted By: gmoats Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/02/16
Originally Posted by TAGLARRY
...Typically, fine motor skills like manipulating the SLIDE STOP with your thumb are lost during stress.

…..so I've been taught……don't know if I believe it or not……here's an interesting out-take from Bob Whaley about "7 myths of gun training."

6. HEART RATE DETERMINES YOUR ABILITY TO PERFORM PHYSICAL ACTIONS

Ok, here’s an admission. Nothing I’ve stated so far is my original idea. I have read comments and counter comments to virtually all the myths presented here and compared the credentials of the commenters. Heck, bouncing the sponge ball (come on, it was just a sponge ball) off the granddaughter’s head wasn’t even my idea! So when this myth came up years ago, I was curious if it had validity.
I talked to doctors and a variety of trainers who both did and did not agree with the concept. The trainers were split just about 50/50 for and against the concept. The doctors, who included sports medicine specialists and cardiologists, all said the concept was without merit. I deferred to the docs, and this myth has pretty much been de-bunked over time.
The docs all indicated the same thing. If your heart beats too slow or too fast, it eventually stops working. Not good! That’s the only effect your heart has on performance. As long as your heart beats within a range that doesn’t adversely affect your health—in other words you die—you can pretty much do whatever you have trained to do. Pretty simple actually.
- See more at: http://www.gundigest.com/concealed-...dgun-training-myths#sthash.zLLfyWCx.dpuf
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/02/16
Originally Posted by gmoats
Originally Posted by TAGLARRY
...Typically, fine motor skills like manipulating the SLIDE STOP with your thumb are lost during stress.

…..so I've been taught……don't know if I believe it or not……here's an interesting out-take from Bob Whaley about "7 myths of gun training."

6. HEART RATE DETERMINES YOUR ABILITY TO PERFORM PHYSICAL ACTIONS

Ok, here’s an admission. Nothing I’ve stated so far is my original idea. I have read comments and counter comments to virtually all the myths presented here and compared the credentials of the commenters. Heck, bouncing the sponge ball (come on, it was just a sponge ball) off the granddaughter’s head wasn’t even my idea! So when this myth came up years ago, I was curious if it had validity.
I talked to doctors and a variety of trainers who both did and did not agree with the concept. The trainers were split just about 50/50 for and against the concept. The doctors, who included sports medicine specialists and cardiologists, all said the concept was without merit. I deferred to the docs, and this myth has pretty much been de-bunked over time.
The docs all indicated the same thing. If your heart beats too slow or too fast, it eventually stops working. Not good! That’s the only effect your heart has on performance. As long as your heart beats within a range that doesn’t adversely affect your health—in other words you die—you can pretty much do whatever you have trained to do. Pretty simple actually.
- See more at: http://www.gundigest.com/concealed-...dgun-training-myths#sthash.zLLfyWCx.dpuf

I supppose the fine motor skills thing may be a problem for some people. I haven't been in a gunfight, so I couldn't say. Have trained a little under stress - but probably not comparable. What I do know is that other things I have done that require fine motor skills have not failed me under stress. In fact - I have been amazed at just how well I performed these actions under threat of death or injury. I am convinced that it all comes down to practice.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Releasing the slide..... - 02/02/16
Proper Practice Prevails. Visualization + repetition is a great facilitator in stress inoculation.

I have to agree w/ MS, instructor's hat frequently becomes an asshat and he will often have a snoose bottle in his BDU pocket.

A real teacher combines art and science and is totally tuned in to his students.

mike r
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Using the slide release with the weak thumb is very fast, extremely consistent, and repeatable in daylight, at night, and under stress.

^^^^This, assuming of course, that one is right handed & the slide stop release is on the left side of the gun.

Also, as the weak side thumb releases the slide, it's a natural progression to simultaneously be re-assuming the 2 handed shooting grip.

Not really much to go wrong unless you are a total clutz..........

MM
Originally Posted by deflave

I never really paid attention to that until about three years ago. Why in the fugk anybody thinks spitting into a trash can every four minutes adds to their credibility, is beyond me.

Travis

Yup,

Have an old work compadre who is a former scout sniper instructor. Excellent marksman, and very knowledgeable, but his teaching style drove me nuts.

I count on it.

Dave

Boo.
Why in the fugk anybody thinks spitting into a trash can every four minutes adds to their credibility, is beyond me.Travis

Yup,

Have an old work compadre who is a former scout sniper instructor. Excellent marksman, and very knowledgeable, but his teaching style drove me nuts.

What? he didn't have a trash can?
© 24hourcampfire