Home
Posted By: Sakoluvr Grips for my S&W Mountain Gun - 06/30/16
I can't seem to get comfortable with the finger groove rubbers on my MG> Thinking it may be the round butt giving me grief. What do you guys think of these S&W grips that convert a round to a square button the N frame?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/..._757843_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

Any other vendor that I should be looking at?
Those are actually better grips than they have any right to be at that price.
I'd recommend Herrett's Jordan Trooper grips. They're custom made to your hand size.

[Linked Image]

Herrett's Grips
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I can't seem to get comfortable with the finger groove rubbers on my MG> Thinking it may be the round butt giving me grief. What do you guys think of these S&W grips that convert a round to a square button the N frame?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/..._757843_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

Any other vendor that I should be looking at?
They have too modern a look for me. They look too MIM if that makes sense.
I like these:

S&W N Round Bateleur Conversion Super Walnut Checkered Fleur-de-Lis with Silver Medallions

http://www.altamontco.com/experimen...and_wesson/#Smith_and_Wesson_n_round.php
If you're going to go with Herrett's, go with the Roper grips; I like them much better than the Jordan Trooper. The Jordan grips are great if you have really huge hands. If you have normal hands, the Ropers will be much better.
Posted By: RJM Re: Grips for my S&W Mountain Gun - 07/01/16
These are both Mountain Guns with Round Butt to Square Butt conversion grips on them. The white ones are Eagle Hammer and the wood Herrett's Classics.

[Linked Image]

Just depends what fits your hand best...

Bob
At one time they both wore Miculek Grips...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
RJM, why not the Miculeks anymore? They look handy.
Miculek's feel great, but don't look all that great IMO.
Altamont builds this one, which I understand is sometimes fitted at the factory. I found a 625 at a shop and liked the grips so much that I researched and bought a set for my 6 in 657. It is available in a several choices of wood. I chose the Rosewood. And the price is quite reasonable.

657 MG as received from Bob

[Linked Image]

Then I put the Altamonts on the MG. They are much more comfortable in my fat, stubby fingers.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by muleshoe

Had them on the guns for about two years... Loved the way they looked and felt but there was something about the grip I got coming out of the holster that I didn't like...
Posted By: JSH Re: Grips for my S&W Mountain Gun - 07/02/16
I'm a big fan of Ahrends. I like the Tactical round to squares.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Grips for my S&W Mountain Gun - 07/02/16
I like Ahrends but their standard finish sucks. I have three sets on hand right now but only one set is on a handgun because of the finish on the grips. It turns into a sticky gummy mess. I'd opt for the upgraded oil finish if buying again.
Originally Posted by RJM

Had them on the guns for about two years... Loved the way they looked and felt but there was something about the grip I got coming out of the holster that I didn't like...

Did you keep either set?

George
Posted By: JSH Re: Grips for my S&W Mountain Gun - 07/03/16
Originally Posted by MOGC
I like Ahrends but their standard finish sucks. I have three sets on hand right now but only one set is on a handgun because of the finish on the grips. It turns into a sticky gummy mess. I'd opt for the upgraded oil finish if buying again.

i've got 3 sets currently in use and friends or family have several more and this is the first time I have heard this. Mine have held up exceptionally well. All of my current grips are Cocobolo which are no longer available, unfortunately.
Originally Posted by RJM
These are both Mountain Guns with Round Butt to Square Butt conversion grips on them. The white ones are Eagle Hammer and the wood Herrett's Classics.

[Linked Image]

Just depends what fits your hand best...

Bob

Great photo... reminds me of happier times when I could buy S&W K & N frame Smooth Target grips for 15-25 bucks off gun show tables around KCMO. That basic grip, with about a 1/4" bevel on the bottom radius, still works as well for me as anything you can hang on a DA revolver.
I like the factory grips that came on my S&W Mountain Gun

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RJM Re: Grips for my S&W Mountain Gun - 07/03/16
Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by RJM

Did you keep either set?

George

...sold them both on GunBroker...
I have Eagles on all of my Ruger and S&W revolvers. I'd buy them for my Rossi 515/518/720s if they were available.

If you shoot with a glove, or you have thick calluses, the checkering is nice, but can be a little rough on your palm if you're shooting anything with a heavy recoil.

www.eaglegrips.com
These fit me fine

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Altamont builds this one, which I understand is sometimes fitted at the factory. I found a 625 at a shop and liked the grips so much that I researched and bought a set for my 6 in 657. It is available in a several choices of wood. I chose the Rosewood. And the price is quite reasonable.

657 MG as received from Bob

[Linked Image]

Then I put the Altamonts on the MG. They are much more comfortable in my fat, stubby fingers.

[Linked Image]

I ended up buying the same Altamonts in "super walnut". Just put them on last night and I think I am going to really like them.
Originally Posted by MOGC

Originally Posted by JSH
i've got 3 sets currently in use and friends or family have several more and this is the first time I have heard this. Mine have held up exceptionally well. All of my current grips are Cocobolo which are no longer available, unfortunately.

I've got 4 sets of Ahrends grips and am extremely happy with them. The one on my S&W Model 25 .45 Colt is a set of walnut Retro Targets (see link) Ahrends Retro Grips. I order my grips unfinished from Kim and apply a tung oil finish to them myself. Several years ago I sent Kim a piece of Ebony and he made a set of K/L frame Retro Targets that now reside on my no dash Model 686. The contrast between the Ebony and stainless steel is simply awesome.

Don
tag
© 24hourcampfire