Home
Posted By: GunGeek Glock wins FBI contract - 06/30/16
Okay, I gotta say I'm rather surprised at this. The FBI's RFP for a new handgun was for a modular handgun, similar to the RFP for the Army. It seemed custom written for the Sig 320, but now Glock wins??

Well, they could have done much worse.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/30/news/companies/glock-gun-contract-fbi/index.html
http://www.recoilweb.com/glock-awarded-fbi-contract-102629.html

A new gun not commercially available! Can't wait to see it!

Mike
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 06/30/16
It'll be a Glock frame without finger grooves

Hasn't anyone figured out the Feebs only don't his schit to waste budget money, in order to keep the budget
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 06/30/16
That's why they didn't go to Flave Precision. He would have saved them money getting rid of the finger grooves and thrown in colorizing in any color offered by Rust-Oleum or Krylon. If they had called him before midnight tonight, he would have thrown in some free tactical training.
Posted By: deflave Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 06/30/16
Kudos to the FB gals for picking something worth a fugk.

I could easily make them more better but they don't have the budget.

Clark
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 06/30/16
I stand corrected. I thought you could have brought that contract in for under $50 Million even if you had to buy a bunch more dog leashes.
Posted By: deflave Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/01/16
That's a lot of Rust-Oleum!

Clark
Posted By: USSR1991 Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/01/16
...technological advancements have improved the ballistics of 9mm Luger over the years, making the ammunition more powerful.

Hmm, magic powder?grin That's the official "line". Want to bet it's because the 9mm is easier for the agents of the female persuasion to shoot?

Don
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/01/16
Originally Posted by USSR1991
...technological advancements have improved the ballistics of 9mm Luger over the years, making the ammunition more powerful.

Hmm, magic powder?grin That's the official "line". Want to bet it's because the 9mm is easier for the agents of the female persuasion to shoot?

Don

Wanna bet that it's easier for everyone to shoot.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/01/16
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Mike
Must be what Glock submitted for the Army's Modular Handgun competition.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/01/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Don

Exactly.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/01/16

Don
The "technological advancement" is more powder and more pressure. Doesn't sound too advanced to me.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/01/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Want to bet it's because the 9mm is easier for the agents of the female persuasion to shoot?

Don

Exactly....a heavier recoiling handgun does not make its shooter "cool." Sometimes, good enough is exactly that.
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Mike
Must be what Glock submitted for the Army's Modular Handgun competition.

Maybe I can finally see one! Going to harass the only Austrian I know grin

Mike
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/02/16
It doesn't surprise that they stayed with glock
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Hasn't anyone figured out the Feebs only don't his schit to waste budget money, in order to keep the budget

English dude
Agreed, but I'm not seeing the advantage to modularity. Why not just adopt the 17 or 19?
Posted By: supercrewd Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/02/16
It includes an instruction manual written in English! Damn German bigots.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Agreed, but I'm not seeing the advantage to modularity. Why not just adopt the 17 or 19?

Modularity is the cool catch phrase of the day.

Remember, the FBI is run by lawyers and accountants. Not street cops
I don't see anything in the RFP tgat mentions modularity.

It mentions 1 full size, and one compact pistol

I imagine they will produce a frame without finger grooves, but with a rail

Posted By: Kilroy Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/02/16
I found it rather amusing for the so called "gun press" to predict that the Sig P320 was the intended design. Details matter. A careful reading of the bid requirements, a thorough knowledge of the various product lines and an understanding of shooting and training requirements would reveal that Glock was the likely choice. With the requirement of a dedicated Non-Lethal Training Ammunition pistol and a functional simulator pistol, none of the other players are close to easily providing a comprehensive package.

With the variety of entirely suitable 9mm bullets, the ability to shoot more accurately is always a benefit.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/02/16
For a huge agency with a multitude of roles, the advantages are many. For an individual like you and I, not much at all.
For a huge agency with a multitude of roles, the advantages are many. For an individual like you and I, not much at all.
Explain that. The first part. I get the second part.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/02/16
there is a lot of secret resentment towards the Glock, mainly because its a cheap plastic pistol that works all the time. Its kind of like the AK of pistols only different. From 1-25 yards any 9mm Glock will do all that needs doing. If your going to stretch it past 25 you will need a tactilization package from FlaveTactical. Best Regards. Toby
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/02/16

Because then, the recruits (or is it 'clients') would have to adapt to the weapon instead of the other way around. It might be uncomfortable for Agents Aiden and Francois.

Same reason they adopted the 38 +P Rimless Short.
I still can't find anywhere in the RFP where it even mentions modularity

It states one full size pistol

And

One compact pistol
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/02/16
Originally Posted by Kilroy
I found it rather amusing for the so called "gun press" to predict that the Sig P320 was the intended design. Details matter. A careful reading of the bid requirements, a thorough knowledge of the various product lines and an understanding of shooting and training requirements would reveal that Glock was the likely choice. With the requirement of a dedicated Non-Lethal Training Ammunition pistol and a functional simulator pistol, none of the other players are close to easily providing a comprehensive package.

With the variety of entirely suitable 9mm bullets, the ability to shoot more accurately is always a benefit.

One post after 13 years.

Congratulations! You earned this.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: jimmyp Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/02/16
and yet it was a good post by a man who read the bid requirements.
In light of recent "developments" with the FBI, one has to wonder how large Glock's contribution to the Clinton Foundation was.
Posted By: RWE Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/06/16
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Originally Posted by Kilroy

One post after 13 years.

Congratulations! You earned this.

[Linked Image]

he's a federal spook that was just here to record things, but couldn't stand it any longer....
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/06/16

I would imagine that the FBI would have a place for a full size, compact, and sub-compact pistol. And would occasionally have use for a suppressed pistol.

So one basic pistol platform can do all of those. Your training session is one session, on multiple configurations of one pistol. Holster inventory is greatly simplified. There will be one training and service manual, rather than 3-4. The modularity allows the end user to fix any issue, no need for an armorer, just drop in a new trigger module or slide, send the old one either to the armorer, or back to Sig.

At pretty much every FBI office, you'll be able to convert your pistol for a new role, and they'll have gun and leather on hand for you as well as spare magazines regardless of the configuration. Weapon lights will now fit all models of pistols.

Basically any role that you would have for an FBI agent, can be filled with one pistol; that really simplifies things for an agency the size of the FBI.

You come into the office and find yourself doing under-cover work, or assigned to the SWAT team, swap top halves and magazines to fit the two roles; you're done.

For finding something to fit a wide variety of hands. There are 3 frame sizes, and then within each of those frame sizes, there are 3 backstrap sizes per frame.

For the armorers, they train on one pistol. Right now they have to be trained for AT LEAST 6 different handguns currently (both pistols and revolvers). Or maybe they just skip having an armorer altogether, and just let the end user swap uppers & lowers to fix any problem the may be having, then send the defective units back to Sig.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/06/16
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
In light of recent "developments" with the FBI, one has to wonder how large Glock's contribution to the Clinton Foundation was.
No kidding. With all of Glock's legal troubles, maybe they're hoping some of Hillary's tefflon will rub off onto them.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/06/16
I kinda think they should allow the agents to pick their own pistols. I wear size 10.5 4E shoes, and I'd hate to try to wear my neighbor's size 12 C-width shoes..

It just doesn't work that well.

Give the agents an allowance to purchase their own, set up certain criteria (minimum chamberings, etc.) and let them choose their own.
The Glock family just doesn't fit my hands, and I don't like their triggers, either (I had one, shot the crap out of it, but couldn't come to terms with it).

I guess I'm spoiled by having some really good 1911s and BHPs over the years, along with the CZ-75 and clones, and many others. I shot my 19 pretty well, but never could work up any fondness for it. I tried, but I don't really have any fondness for a cheap framing hammer compared to something better, either.
Let those who are going to carry them, pick what they want to carry.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/06/16
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I kinda think they should allow the agents to pick their own pistols. I wear size 10.5 4E shoes, and I'd hate to try to wear my neighbor's size 12 C-width shoes..

It just doesn't work that well.

Give the agents an allowance to purchase their own, set up certain criteria (minimum chamberings, etc.) and let them choose their own.
The Glock family just doesn't fit my hands, and I don't like their triggers, either (I had one, shot the crap out of it, but couldn't come to terms with it).

I guess I'm spoiled by having some really good 1911s and BHPs over the years, along with the CZ-75 and clones, and many others. I shot my 19 pretty well, but never could work up any fondness for it. I tried, but I don't really have any fondness for a cheap framing hammer compared to something better, either.
Let those who are going to carry them, pick what they want to carry.

Very poor idea, given the amount and frequency of travel agents do, the chances of being partnered up with someone in another area that you've not worked with and therefore an unfamiliar firearm might be your other option if that person is hit or your weapon malfunctions, and a host of other reasons.
Posted By: Kilroy Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/06/16
Originally Posted by jimmyp
and yet it was a good post by a man who read the bid requirements.

I try to stay in my lane. This is an area I know a little bit about.
Posted By: Kilroy Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/06/16

[/quote]

he's a federal spook that was just here to record things, but couldn't stand it any longer.... [/quote]

Naw......

25+ years LE and privy to several manufacturers product lines.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/06/16
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
No kidding. With all of Glock's legal troubles, maybe they're hoping some of Hillary's tefflon will rub off onto them.

The Feebs already issue Glocks why would they change to a completely different platform

A. The modularity aspect wasn't even a requirement in the rfp.

The fbi standard issue is the G23, but they also can get the G22, G17 and G 19. They can also purchase the G26 and 27 as secondary weapons and are autjorized to.purchase and qualify with the a Glock 21.

Having a current inventory of holsters for the Glocks makes it a no brainer
Posted By: deflave Re: Glock wins FBI contract - 07/08/16

I would imagine that the FBI would have a place for a full size, compact, and sub-compact pistol. And would occasionally have use for a suppressed pistol.

So one basic pistol platform can do all of those. Your training session is one session, on multiple configurations of one pistol. Holster inventory is greatly simplified. There will be one training and service manual, rather than 3-4. The modularity allows the end user to fix any issue, no need for an armorer, just drop in a new trigger module or slide, send the old one either to the armorer, or back to Sig.

At pretty much every FBI office, you'll be able to convert your pistol for a new role, and they'll have gun and leather on hand for you as well as spare magazines regardless of the configuration. Weapon lights will now fit all models of pistols.

Basically any role that you would have for an FBI agent, can be filled with one pistol; that really simplifies things for an agency the size of the FBI.

You come into the office and find yourself doing under-cover work, or assigned to the SWAT team, swap top halves and magazines to fit the two roles; you're done.

For finding something to fit a wide variety of hands. There are 3 frame sizes, and then within each of those frame sizes, there are 3 backstrap sizes per frame.

For the armorers, they train on one pistol. Right now they have to be trained for AT LEAST 6 different handguns currently (both pistols and revolvers). Or maybe they just skip having an armorer altogether, and just let the end user swap uppers & lowers to fix any problem the may be having, then send the defective units back to Sig.

That's great in theory but it's not a reality for LE. Especially the EFF-Bee-eye.

90% of those clown shoes couldn't put an M4 back together any quicker than they could find their own ass with two hands and a map!

Modularity is stupid IMO. Every department/agency should have a standard issue duty gun and allow anything for plain clothes and backup purposes. Within reason of course.

Dave
© 24hourcampfire