Home
I've taken a shine to carrying my M58, especially in the woods, riding in a Simply Rugged pancake. If it concealed a little more easily I'd probably carry it in town now and then. It's a great revolver and I like that it doesn't have that fragile looking rear sight blade that the M57 has. It came with a nice set of Jordan Troopers and the gun just fits me well. It's a tad heavy but....
Excellent handgun.

Amarillo PD used to carry lots of those. They saw some action too...
I almost bought one many Moons ago that was Nickel, came back with the cash and hour later and was sold!
Posted By: Sako Re: Does anyone carry a S&W M58? - 07/01/16
I carry one in the woods.... One stay one of my favorite handguns.... I have since gotten a really good deal on a Titanium S&W 44 special that weights practically nothing and I have started carrying it some as well.... But the 58 still shoots better.....

Bottom line..... Wonderful gun
Posted By: 4ager Re: Does anyone carry a S&W M58? - 07/01/16
EvilTwin does.
Talk to RJM, our resident 41 mag expert!
I'd love to have one just because I don't have one now. grin
Posted By: Sako Re: Does anyone carry a S&W M58? - 07/01/16
I prefer my 58 to every 57 I have ever owned.... Still never had one of the many 57s I have owned ever shoot as good as my 58
That's one seriously cool revolver!!!
Originally Posted by Sako
I prefer my 58 to every 57 I have ever owned.... Still never had one of the many 57s I have owned ever shoot as good as my 58

That's exactly where I've landed, too. There's an evilbastard trying to sell me a very nice 58 now. I am sorely tempted to buy another. It's a nice one.
I have a 58 and love it! The only thing I dislike is the factory magna grips from a strictly shooting aspect. I have fairly large hands and the magnas just don't give me enough to grab. I solved that by going to a hogue wood grip. I also had considered a Tyler t grip to see if that helped any as well and kept the classic look with the magnas
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Talk to RJM, our resident 41 mag expert!

The Great Enabler was responsible for my first .41 purchase😜
Originally Posted by OldRooster
I've taken a shine to carrying my M58, especially in the woods, riding in a Simply Rugged pancake. If it concealed a little more easily I'd probably carry it in town now and then. It's a great revolver and I like that it doesn't have that fragile looking rear sight blade that the M57 has. It came with a nice set of Jordan Troopers and the gun just fits me well. It's a tad heavy but....
A round butt, three inch barrel, version, would be a nice carry gun.
Real Hawkeye, I saw one beautifully reworked like you describe, 3 or 4 years ago when I was on a roll. Only reason I didn't buy it was that it was ported. I have a thing about that.
Posted By: RJM Re: Does anyone carry a S&W M58? - 07/03/16
..here I am getting blamed again for others "weakness of the flesh"... cry It seems any time anyone gets a .41 or a .38 Super "It's all Bob's fault"...

I've had 10 since my first one in 1973. The only two left have been "mutilated"...a 1964 that someone thoughtfully parkerized and a early 1970s that has been really slicked up.

Have been shooting the custom 58 in local IDPA shoots and just shot the parkerized one today at a friends camp.

A 3" round butt whould be the KatzAzz....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Don't carry them all that often as I prefer a Commander...

...also try a DeSantis Speed Scabbard...it is much more compact than the SR holster and holds the gun higher and tighter to the body..

Bob
I have a blue mod. 58 loaded , & kept in the bedroom. (Made in 1970).
For a while in the late 80's early 90's... it was my go to gun .That's when I owned a Tavern in Pittsburgh.

I finished off 2 animals with it. A wild boar & 1 exotic Ram.
Glad I had that fixed sighted .41 mag. with me on more than a few instances.
Bob, I'll look for a good price on a speed scabbard. I have one for my 1911s and like it.
Posted By: RJM Re: Does anyone carry a S&W M58? - 07/04/16
I buy mine at a shop in Ct. for $46.00. I have seen them on Amazon.com for about the same...

Bob

ps...if you go buy that other 58, the Speed Scabbard also comes in left hand... ;-)
Originally Posted by RJM
I buy mine at a shop in Ct. for $46.00. I have seen them on Amazon.com for about the same...

Bob

ps...if you go buy that other 58, the Speed Scabbard also comes in left hand... ;-)

i looked these up on amazon, for us left handed people, it's more like 75bucks or so.
actually not the fault of the enabler, as i think i bought my 58 before i knew him, but i had it out today as i was making some 41special loads.
they really are kind of a heavy model 10. They just feel/point well in the hand. Curious to see how they work with the 41special loads.
© 24hourcampfire