Home
Posted By: deflave Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/13/16
9mm?

40?

45?

Which and why? It would be cheapest for me to buy a threaded barrel for my M&P CORE but I have a friend that claims the .40 sucks suppressed even when using 180's that are subsonic.

Otherwise I am planning on an entirely new pistol. Same friend claims the 9's with 147's are nirvana.

Clark
Posted By: blott2007 Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/13/16
Have shot 147gr 9mm thru a 45 TiRant and it was noticeably quieter that 45, so I'm sure a dedicated 9 can would be better. Both calibers were through Glocks. Shooting the cans wet made a huge difference. Never suppressed 40. The biggest giggles are from a 44 Ruger rifle with 44 special speed loads.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/13/16
9mm 147 or .45 230. Done. Hell, a .45 can will work (though not perfectly) with .40s and 9s as well (and probably .32s, but that's just a guess).
Posted By: deflave Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/13/16
It's a 45 can.

I'm asking what people prefer in chamberings when shooting suppressed.

Dave
Posted By: 4ager Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/13/16
Ah.

I don't own one (yet), but have and do shoot a bunch owned by friends. The .40 just seems louder, no matter what. .45s can be silly quiet. 9s, too, but the .45 ammo range for subsonic is broader. Either seems to work, and when a 9 is quiet, it's damned quiet.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/13/16
flave, no 1st hand experience yet on centerfires. Have an Omega and Hybrid that will be in 41P purgatory for a while. So, it'll probably be eoy before the dust settles.

But, for what it's worth, heard the same you have on 9mm.. 147's are the shizzle.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/13/16
The smaller the bore the easier it is to suppress the noise. That's why 9mm has been the preferred handgun caliber for quiet work...that's what they told me at ninja school.
Posted By: deflave Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/14/16
Originally Posted by local_dirt
flave, no 1st hand experience yet on centerfires. Have an Omega and Hybrid that will be in 41P purgatory for a while. So, it'll probably be eoy before the dust settles.

But, for what it's worth, heard the same you have on 9mm.. 147's are the shizzle.

Yeah. I think I'll get another M&P CORE.

Dave
Posted By: RWE Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/14/16
My only experience suppressed centerfire was a 9mm Beretta.

Nothing really to compare it to, but I didn't have any problems with it, and I shot it a lot.

147 gr.
The info regarding the .40 surprises me.

I hate to buy another handgun but a man has to do, what a man has to do.

Clark

PS - A .25 saved my life Sunday. Rattler came up behind me when I was shooting prone. Just got my hand on my EDC and my spotter lit him up. 9 rounds of awesome.
Posted By: RWE Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/14/16
I'm reloading for my quarter bore now, to maximize its capabilities...
Posted By: Yondering Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/14/16
Flave - they are all fun but 9mm is definitely quietest. 40 kinda sucks in comparison; higher muzzle pressure and larger bore.

If you already have the suppressor and just need a threaded barrel swap for the 40 though, might as well try it. Suppress all of them; some are better than others but they're all better with mufflers.

Side note - if you load your own, subsonic lighter bullets run quieter than the heavy stuff; less powder and pressure required. 125gr 9mm subs, for example. Remember muzzle pressure = sound, still applies through a suppressor.
Do you think it's worth it to try loading a schit ton of subsonic 200gr stuff and buying a threaded .40 barrel?

I won't be switching the can around. Once it's on a gun it will stay put. I'm basically just trying to decide if I should go 9mm or not.

My goal is Hollywood quiet or as close as I can get to Hollywood quiet.

Dave

Posted By: rockchucker Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/14/16
clark

imi, ppu, and american eagle are making 124 and 158 grain subsonic 9mm ammo

and the 147 9mm is stupid quiet

rock
Yeah. I was told the AE 147 stuff is da' bomb.

I forgot what I ordered but was just told it's the AAC T-Rant-45.

I can get this for a pretty decent price. Seems like the logical route if .40's suck.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/..._757900_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Dave
Posted By: Yondering Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/14/16
If you're keeping the can on one gun, and want it to be as quiet as possible, go 9mm. I wouldn't waste time with .40 in your case, unless you're going to load your own, something like 140gr cast subsonics maybe.

Have you heard or fired suppressed centerfire pistols before? If not, you might be a bit disappointed; actual "hollywood quiet" setups are pretty rare, and require a perfect combination of gun, suppressor, and ammo. Suppressed 9mm pistols can be pretty quiet though.
I have shot a number of suppressed weapons but can't recall a .40. And I think the 9's I shot were not subsonic so they're not a real good reference.

I have a .308 can and a 22LR can so I'm somewhat familiar with them.

Seems like 9mm is the consensus. Thanks for your help.

Dave
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/14/16
Originally Posted by deflave

Clark

PS - A .25 saved my life Sunday. Rattler came up behind me when I was shooting prone. Just got my hand on my EDC and my spotter lit him up. 9 rounds of awesome.

Clark,

You could just get a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel that's threaded for your .40 M&P; they work very well, even suppressed. There's several companies that make them.
I thought about that.

But it seems kinda Jewy.

Dave
And do they require a different rod and spring?

Dave
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/14/16
And do they require a different rod and spring?

Dave
9 times out of 10 you just drop in the barrel and go. When using a can, there's always the chance of needing a different recoil spring regardless of if you're converting calibers or not. But when converting on rare occasions you may require a lighter recoil spring, but most will work with the .40 recoil spring. I would say for optimal reliability I would always go lighter on the recoils spring when going from .40 to 9mm, and I would use dedicated 9mm magazines even though the .40 magazines almost always work perfectly. I would use dedicated 9mm mags just out of convenience.

But if you don't like the one gun solution, there's nothing wrong with just buying a threaded 9mm M&P to go along with your .40 M&P. But another gun is almost 3x the cost of just doing the barrel.
I don't know.

$300 some odd dollars to sit and watch $300 some odd dollars worth of schit sit and rot?

I think new pistol.

Dave
Ive not been able to achieve Hollywood quiet with a CF handgun. 9 is quieter than 45 - never tried a 40.

Posted By: MadMooner Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/15/16

Clark

I was wondering what happend to Rattler. RIP.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/15/16
A 10" 300 Whisper in a TC can be Hollywood quiet.

IF I ever went with a can on a pistol, I'd want a pistol that I could lock the slide on.
Posted By: deflave Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/15/16
My .308 with sub-sonic loads is definitely Hollywood quiet.

I'd also call the suppressed .44 carbine I've played with Hollywood quiet when shooting sub-sonics.

And of course the 22LR with sub-sonics. Rifle, not handgun.

Dave
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Ive not been able to achieve Hollywood quiet with a CF handgun. 9 is quieter than 45 - never tried a 40.

I'm going 9mm.

Thanks, Brotato Chip.

Clark
Posted By: Mesabi Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/15/16
Clark, don't know if you ever look at Sigforum.com, but there's a pretty good suppressed/Cl III section. There's a current discussion on Octanes/9mm/etc.
The suppressor thing is addictive....almost like guns, but better for me. I can't trade suppressors off on a whim!
Originally Posted by Mesabi
Clark, don't know if you ever look at Sigforum.com, but there's a pretty good suppressed/Cl III section. There's a current discussion on Octanes/9mm/etc.

I have not.

This is the only place that allows me to post on the internet.

But I will check it out. Thanks.

Clark
Posted By: TheWarrior Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/15/16
Fiocchi makes 9mms 158 fmj.

pew pew pew pew...........
Posted By: deflave Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/16/16
I'm going to North 40 to see what they have on the shelves.

GFY.

Dave
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/16/16

I don't think OU should be suppressed.
Posted By: deflave Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/16/16
Nothing can shut me up.

Dave
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/16/16

That's excellent
Posted By: deflave Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/30/16
Decision made.

https://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=SFXDMT94545BHCE

Should be here Tuesday.

Dave
Posted By: viking Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/30/16
Nice.
Posted By: deflave Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/30/16
Originally Posted by viking
Nice.

That's what she said.

Dave
Posted By: viking Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/30/16
After she woke up or before, lol
[Linked Image]

ATI FX45 K

Threaded.

Shoots groups like my Gold Cup.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/30/16
Decision made.

https://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=SFXDMT94545BHCE

Should be here Tuesday.

Dave

Hey, ugly girls need lovin too.

fistbump.gif
Posted By: deflave Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/31/16
Originally Posted by viking
After she woke up or before, lol

You wait for them to wake up?

Dave
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain

Shoots groups like my Gold Cup.

Heresy.

Clark
Originally Posted by Yondering

Hey, ugly girls need lovin too.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Clark
Posted By: bea175 Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/31/16
I can't really see a lot of difference in what cal you use as long as you stay Subsonic
Thanks bea.

Travis
Posted By: Yondering Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 07/31/16
Originally Posted by bea175
I can't really see a lot of difference in what cal you use as long as you stay Subsonic

Do you actually have experience with these different calibers suppressed, or are you just guessing? Some of us aren't.
Not trying to speak for bea but I believe he has had multiple suppressors for some time so I take him at his word.

Travis
Posted By: deflave Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 08/06/16
Put a few mags through this yesterday and it shoots TIGHT.

Lovin' it.

Now to stockpile and wait for the suppressor.

[Linked Image]

Travis
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 08/06/16
Hey Flave, are the sights higher on the threaded XD?
Posted By: deflave Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 08/06/16
Yessir.

It's a plug -n-play.

That's what she said...

Dave
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 08/06/16
Thanks. Missed that on the first go around from the link.

I've got an old XD9 that has been one heckuva gun since the day I got it.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 04/26/17
Flave, dug this thread up to see if you received your can yet. IF so, how are you liking that TI-rant?

I just finally got the last docs sent off correctly for the Hybrid I bought last July. What an f'in pita.

Glomming for info on centerfire pistols with cans now.
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 04/26/17
I read on a suppressor manufacture site the other day that 9mm did not do that well suppressed, which surprised me. My county sheriff told me when he signed for my .44 can that a vendor brought one (9mm) to his office and fired it into a box on his desk, and the secretary in the other room could not hear it?

I am now waiting for one for my Ruger Standard .22 LR semi-auto, but will be getting a chance to "try" a bunch of other calibers, so I hope to find out for myself soon how .45 ACP does, at any rate.

Mike
Posted By: Yondering Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 04/26/17
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
I read on a suppressor manufacture site the other day that 9mm did not do that well suppressed, which surprised me. My county sheriff told me when he signed for my .44 can that a vendor brought one (9mm) to his office and fired it into a box on his desk, and the secretary in the other room could not hear it?

I am now waiting for one for my Ruger Standard .22 LR semi-auto, but will be getting a chance to "try" a bunch of other calibers, so I hope to find out for myself soon how .45 ACP does, at any rate.

Mike

Compared to what? Context is important.

Compared to a .22 - duh

Compared to a .40 or .45 - I call BS based on my own experience and everything I've read and seen about the subject.

I have several times shot suppressed 9mm in the basement or attached garage without the wife hearing it.
Posted By: deflave Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 04/26/17
Still nada!

Patience is a virtue.

A worthless and stupid virtue.

Dave
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 04/26/17
They didn't say compared to what, but it was in a discussion of centerfire handgun rounds. I didn't think much of it, either. For Dave, they also said .308 was hard to suppress successfully, but I think they were talking supersonic for both. With my suppressor, which is NOT the best, supersonic .44 mag is pretty loud. Subsonic, depending on the particular load, can be very quiet. I was talking to a retired police officer last week, who - with his son, who is still active LEO - about a suppressor they handled in their shop, where they sell suppressors, SBR's short shotguns, and machine guns, that they were both disappointed in, until they were told it was supposed to be a "wet" suppressor. After they added some transmission fluid or something similar to the front end of it, it shot considerably quieter.

Mike
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 04/26/17
Still nada!

Patience is a virtue.

A worthless and stupid virtue.

Dave

I hear ya.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 04/27/17
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
They didn't say compared to what, but it was in a discussion of centerfire handgun rounds.

I wouldn't trust any suppressor manufacturer who said 9mm doesn't suppress well in that context; they simply don't know what they're talking about. I'd cease to believe or repeat anything they said at that point, their credibility is gone.

Not all suppressor manufacturers know what's what. I talked to a rep for one last year who said they won't make pistol suppressors because they "don't believe in the Nielsen device" (his words). Brilliant.
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 04/28/17
What, they don't like the TV reviews?

Mike
Posted By: Yondering Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 04/28/17
LOL no, they were talking about boosters, which are needed for most semi auto pistols to let the gun cycle when suppressed. I got a chuckle about the level of ignorance required to "not believe in them". That's a side note though, just a comment about not believing everything a suppressor manufacturer says.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 04/28/17
Having fully processed 5 now and dealt with countless suppliers and vendors, I'd have to say that business has no less scheisters and creeps than Barnum & Bailey ever did.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 05/03/17

Just to hold you over. This is my TiRant on a Glock 19, pre-suppressor sight install, with cheap 115-Gr ammo. It is quiet.

Posted By: Mikewriter Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 05/04/17
That is VERY quiet! I like that a lot.

Mike
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 05/09/17
This post is meant as a sharing of information. Any trolling, pompous blathering, criticism or other such response may be rewarded with a hearty GFY, STFU, FOAD or all 3.

--------------------------------------------------------

Been doing more diligence on centerfire pistol cans and potential hosts now that all paperwork for cans on order is done and just waiting on approvals and stamps. And, this is what I've come up with so far.

At least for now, the 2 cans that have bubbled to the top of consideration are the Rugged Obsidian 45 and Ti-Rant 45 (like Flave ordered). They are very close in performance, price, size, weight and materials used. They both can also be run in a short (~ 7") or long (~ 9") configuration with the expected slight loss of sound suppression.

Makes it kind of a tough call. But, the $200 gift certificate Silencershop has out there now for anyone buying an AAC product before the end of May 2017 is pretty darn enticing for the Ti-Rant. The Rugged Obsidian gets a slight nod based on its ability to run 2 more calibers with it (300 BLK subsonic and 10mm).

Anybody have more info to add, please feel free to chime in.

Flave, was the Obsidian 45 available when you signed off on the Ti-Rant? Curious.
Also curious why FN thinks that FNX45T is $600 better than that XDM.

--------------------------------------------------------

End of public service announcement.

Posted By: ColdCase1984 Re: Suppressed-Centerfire - 05/10/17
'Flave, when did you file your trust paperwork? Seems like they billed my card day or three before the deadline. I sent in a form to SBS my ol' Narc shotgun I bought after department traded it.

Anxious to pop a12.5-in. Barrel on it. Pistol can will be next for me, too.
© 24hourcampfire