Home
Posted By: rainierrifleco Front sight paint? - 08/14/16
My 629 MG doesn't have an orange insert in the front sight like my 66 my failing eyesight can't see it....what is a good paint to use....
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Front sight paint? - 08/14/16
I've used finger nail polish or model paint a bunch.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Front sight paint? - 08/14/16
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
I've used finger nail polish or model paint a bunch.

We still discussing front sights.............
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Front sight paint? - 08/14/16
Hey, that's funny. Yes, we are still talking about front sights. No Bruce Jenners in this house.
Posted By: dla Re: Front sight paint? - 08/14/16
Nail polish is enamel and it seems to hold up really well.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Front sight paint? - 08/14/16
http://itwprofessionalbrands.com/1151/dykem/paint-markers-valve-action/brite-mark-medium
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Front sight paint? - 08/14/16
white fingernail polish.
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Front sight paint? - 08/14/16
Duh ...paint marker....I have some in white and yellow...thanks scottf
Posted By: Scott F Re: Front sight paint? - 08/14/16
You are welcome. I have two in my shooting bag. The paint markers last longer than a lot of stuff and can me easily applied when needed.
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: Front sight paint? - 08/14/16
I've been using Birchwood Casey paint pens. 3 to a package, neon green, white, fluorescent red. To me, the red looks more like orange.
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Front sight paint? - 08/14/16
Found the paint marker. White looke good....makes a world of diff...
Posted By: Scott F Re: Front sight paint? - 08/15/16
It does for me.
Posted By: TAGLARRY Re: Front sight paint? - 08/15/16
I used fingernail polish on my S & W 642 38 SPL as a temporary fix. That was 10 years ago 😄.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Front sight paint? - 08/15/16

That looks like good stuff. I am leaning toward green.

Did you put a white base coat down followed by another color? Did you pick it up local or mail order? Medium tip? I see Amazon carries it.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Front sight paint? - 08/16/16
My machinist tool box had several in it when I retired. Not sure where or when I got them. I have only used the white and black so could not give real advice. I have used a lot of Dykem products over the years and never found any of their products to be wanting.
Posted By: Penobscot_99 Re: Front sight paint? - 08/16/16
Originally Posted by dla
Nail polish is enamel and it seems to hold up really well.

Yep..that's what I've used..now I can see the front sight a lot better on some of my rifles.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Front sight paint? - 08/17/16
Originally Posted by Scott F
My machinist tool box had several in it when I retired. Not sure where or when I got them. I have only used the white and black so could not give real advice. I have used a lot of Dykem products over the years and never found any of their products to be wanting.

Thanks. Picked some up on Amazon, cheap too. After a little research it seems to be a popular paint for sights.
Posted By: MojoHand Re: Front sight paint? - 08/17/16
Use model paint on mine then a cost of clear fingernail polish on top. Nice and bright and lasts forever...
Posted By: carlm Re: Front sight paint? - 08/17/16
Believe it or not, I even used Tombow correction tape, then put a little clear nailpolish over it.
Posted By: 357Carbine Re: Front sight paint? - 08/17/16
Acrylic if you are just trying out different colors.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Front sight paint? - 08/18/16
i put some fingernail red polish on a revolver back in the 70's, and white model paint on the back. Few years ago it was still on there, and decided to take it off to see if it did anything. Nope, metal and finish was just fine.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Front sight paint? - 08/19/16
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
My 629 MG doesn't have an orange insert in the front sight like my 66 my failing eyesight can't see it....what is a good paint to use....

I bought some chartreuse lure and jig vinyl paint, and applied it to the front sight blades of a Ruger Vaquero and a Kimber .22 conversion slide for my 1911 .45.
Visibility is excellent, especially against black steel plates.
© 24hourcampfire