Home
Would you buy a Shield in 9m or the Glock 43 in 9m? Both of them seem good to me. Also if i can learn why one is better that will help.
Originally Posted by Orville
Would you buy a Shield in 9m or the Glock 43 in 9m? Both of them seem good to me.
Six of one, half dozen of the other. Both excellent, assuming the Shield you buy is one that doesn't have a thumb safety.

Generally speaking, a Glock will have more aftermarket support.
get the 43.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
get the 43.
i had the shield 9mm, i got rid of it for a 42, i just like glocks i guess
I have both and after shooting them side by side I prefer the Shield. You can use the flush fit magazine if you want, but 8 round mags are easy to get and cheap without going through the hassle of getting extensions.

IMO the trigger on the new M&Ps is better than the Glock triggers.

I was a bit more accurate with the Shield but I don't know if that was due to the gun or my preference for how it fit and the trigger.
My wife has a M&P40c and if that thing isn't the G27 Killer, there won't be one. Super nice handling, soft shooting and plenty accurate. It has certainly convinced me to look at the M&P line first, in any application where a plastic pistol fits best.
Both are good guns. I bought the 43 because I am familiar with the platform and the reliability. There will likely be more trigger options for the Glock.
I'd go with the M&P 9c over the shield. Better gun, capacity, trigger return, trigger. About the same size.
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I'd go with the M&P 9c over the shield. Better gun, capacity, trigger return, trigger. About the same size.
t

I'll second that, IIRC the Compact is a tad shorter in the grip. I don't consider either of them pocket guns.

https://youtu.be/IBOzCLh1qxE
Smith and Wesson all the way for me. I don't know why anybody would want a Shield though, when they can just go with the original M&Pc.
Shield for me. Holds more rounds in the magazine and I like the feel of it a little better.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Smith and Wesson all the way for me. I don't know why anybody would want a Shield though, when they can just go with the original M&Pc.

Because with my build, that little bit of extra width would mean going up in pants (and shorts) size. If I want bigger than a single stack I go OWB.

Oh by the way, Shield. But that's because I have one and haven't tried the G43.
I went with the Shield. They were significantly cheaper at the time.

Dave
43 with Taran Tactical +1 for me. Equals the round count in the LC9 hammer fired it replaced.

Was either the new striker fired LC9 or the Glock. I shoot Glock's in IDPA and my truck, house gun is Glock, I live less than an hour from Glock for service/repairs.

Mike

Originally Posted by Cariboujack

My wife carries a M&P 9c........it's substantially thicker than a Shield & neither are really pocket guns with a full mag of ammo.

But, it's much more shootable IMO & I like it better than my G27.

Anyone wanting a smaller gun should look at a G42 even though it's a 380.

MM
Shot them both before purchasing... bought a Shield. There isn't much of anything to upgrade on the Shield, it holds more rounds without the cost of aftermarket extensions and has steel sights that are quite usable. The plastic slot fillers Glock issues have to go and that is an additional expense. I bought my Shield ready to go for $360 and the Glock was $440 without decent sights and needing mag extensions. After 600 rounds I'm happy with the Shield, decent trigger and sights, accurate and has been 100% reliable with anything I can cram into a magazine.
Shield
I have a Glock 19, 26, and a 42. I just like Glocks.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I have both and after shooting them side by side I prefer the Shield. You can use the flush fit magazine if you want, but 8 round mags are easy to get and cheap without going through the hassle of getting extensions.

IMO the trigger on the new M&Ps is better than the Glock triggers.

I have shot both and agree I agree 100% with this. The Glock is a good pistol too, but I prefer the S&W.

Pros for the Shield: Greater magazine capacity, price, real steal sights, and the Shield also has a frame safety if desired. Some people dislike the safety but it is unobtrusive, positive, and there if I want to use it for chambering, reholstering, or shooting with the kids or newbie shooters.
I have a Glock 43 and like it. One major reason, though, is commonality of platform, which may not be an issue for the OP. The other reason is that I like to have at least one pocket 9mm in the stable. Although not ideal, the Glock 43 can be used in a pocket of my jeans or for the few times a year when I have to wear business casual type clothes. My only experience with the Shield was hefting it and realizing the Glock was better in the pocket. I also think the Ruger LC9S Pro would be better in the pocket than the S&W.

If pocket carry is not a consideration, I think the Shield would be a very viable carry gun, based on reports of those who have them. I would get the one without the thumb safety.

My early model Glock 43 had some teething pains for the first 150 rounds. It then ran about another 2500 without an issue, then started giving me some malfunctions that, tentatively, have been resolved by a new recoil spring assembly. Note that Glock is now on a second iteration of magazine. I have read, but cannot confirm, that Glock has changed connectors to lower the trigger pull weight to that of larger Glocks. That can be good or bad depending on perspective and proposed use. Don’t buy a Glock 43 before testing the trigger to see if you like it.

MOGC is correct about the Glock plastic sights being throwaways.
My recently purchased42 has an "03" stamped on each of the magazines which I've found out indicates this is the 3rd generation of magazine it has been sold with.
In close to 200 rounds I have had no problems though, not sure if the 43 magazines are on a 3rd generation yet. It launched after the 42 so maybe they have only have had 2.
As far as I know, the current iteration of Glock 43 magazine has an "01" on it underneath the part number.
Originally Posted by SAKO75
My recently purchased42 has an "03" stamped on each of the magazines which I've found out indicates this is the 3rd generation of magazine it has been sold with.
In close to 200 rounds I have had no problems though, not sure if the 43 magazines are on a 3rd generation yet. It launched after the 42 so maybe they have only have had 2.
Yeah, I think the 3rd gen G42 mags are squared away. I had a 2nd gen mag for it that gave me problems and needed to be traded in for a 3rd gen. No problem with my three 3rd gen mags.
I don't see why you would carry a 42 when the 43 is available? I have both and normally carry the 43. I am interested in the Shield but only the 45ACP version.
I am interested in the Shield but only the 45ACP version.

I've been considering picking up a Shield for several years now and all the recent discussion here on concealed carry has had me thinking harder on it. Enough so that I went looking at them today and just walked out the door with one in 45 less than an hour ago cool
Safety or no safety?
Or there any after market triggers out yet for the Glock 42 & 43 yet ?
Glock 26 in 9mm.
No safety. I'd been thinking if I bought a Shield, the 9mm made the most sense and wasn't aware the 45 was available yet. I'm set up to load for 45, have nothing in 9mm, and didn't really want to add a pile of new loading gear. Though the 45 is slightly larger, with a 9 in one hand and the 45 in the other, the difference is negligible. One thing with the 45 is the longer grip frame allows all 3 fingers on the shorter flush magazine which I prefer.
Safety or no safety?

My Shield came new with no safety and night sights.
sheetfire...all the ones here have safety's on them...
Have not shot the Shield 9mm. Only the .40 cal. The prices I'm seeing on the Shield 9mm's are pretty good right now. PSA has them for $329 shipped if you use code "9mm".

Darn good deal on a good 9mm for that money. UPC# 022188147216.

PS- this is the model with NO safety.
One of my sons has a 43, the other a 9 Shield. No complaints with either but the shield fit my hands better. After shooting a lot of rounds through both I went with the shield in 40.
I don't see why you would carry a 42 when the 43 is available? I have both and normally carry the 43. I am interested in the Shield but only the 45ACP version.
I don't believe I've yet carried my 42. Ordinarily, I carry a Glock 17. When I want something small, I carry the Ruger LC9S Pro. I still like the 42. It's a cool little gun.
sheetfire...all the ones here have safety's on them...

I was expecting similar, but every one I looked at had no safety - good thing!
Is Diamondback anygood? They have 11 ounces of weight on the website for the DB9 and price is less about $250.
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
43 with Taran Tactical +1 for me. Equals the round count in the LC9 hammer fired it replaced.

Was either the new striker fired LC9 or the Glock. I shoot Glock's in IDPA and my truck, house gun is Glock, I live less than an hour from Glock for service/repairs.

Mike

How much service/repairs do Glocks need?
Can't beat a Chief's Special. I have a snub model 19 and that is about as good or perhaps better. If you can't shoot very well you might want a pistol that holds a lot of rounds.
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Mike

How much service/repairs do Glocks need?

Next to none, but I have bought several trade in police guns and a few older used models and take them to Glock and they strip them down replace most springs and install any upgrades that may me available all for free.

Mike
Good thing to know. Thanks.
I need to find a gen2 model 17 for the right price....
I have both. Wife got her hands on the Shield and wouldn't give it back grin

I picked up a G43 in it's place. I like them both, have no complaints with either. But, if I had to keep one it'd be the Shield just cause I shoot it better and it feels better in the hand.
I need to find a gen2 model 17 for the right price....

Call Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna, GA they get them from time to time.

Mike
I like the gen2 guns better for some reason.
© 24hourcampfire