Home
How'd I do?

Smith and Wesson 629-4 Mountain Gun. Any ideas on what this thing is worth?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
FWIW: I passed on one just like that for $950 a few months back.
$800-1000 depending on condition, box, etc.
I would like to have one.
Originally Posted by Oregon45
$800-1000 depending on condition, box, etc.

+1
I think you can buy a new one for around $900. I just bought a 4" 629 for that much a couple months ago.

I really like that revolver. It shoots very accurately and I have no issues with it. However, I have very large hands and I changed grips to accommodate.
No box came with it, just the pistol.
Tough to tell from the pictures whether there are any scratches or rub marks in the finish; the stainless reflects light and can be a bear to photograph indoors. In any event, any pre-lock Mountain Gun in decent condition is going to be worth north of $700, and yours is likely a solid $800-900 gun without the box. They're not making them anymore--not, at least, like they used to--and the mid-90s late pre-lock S&W's are some of the best modern wheel guns.
I love my .45 Colt MG despite it being a lock model. The throats measure .4520 - .4525 depending on the cylinder. I changed my rubber with Altamont wood grips that converted the grip frame from round to square.

How did ya do? Depends on what ya paid. grin
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Tough to tell from the pictures whether there are any scratches or rub marks in the finish; the stainless reflects light and can be a bear to photograph indoors. In any event, any pre-lock Mountain Gun in decent condition is going to be worth north of $700, and yours is likely a solid $800-900 gun without the box. They're not making them anymore--not, at least, like they used to--and the mid-90s late pre-lock S&W's are some of the best modern wheel guns.

Definitely has a few fine scratches and swirls

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I didn't know if I should take it apart and give it a thorough cleaning and polish it up or just leave it original. I don't want the "mountain gun" and "44 magnum" to get polished off but it would look like new
I'd just Flitz the schit out of it and stone the innards.

Or mail it to 'flave for his birthday.

Dave
i got the 41magnum version of this a few years ago due to the enabler pointing it out to me.
I did flitz the exterior, then carnuba waxed it, made it purty.
they do feel different, at least it does next to the standard 57. tapered barrel i guess.
i just wouldn't get so agressive that i wore down that "m".
i paid about 725 for the 41, which included a nice set of designer handgrips. I'm pretty sure wouldn't be much trouble to get my money out of it.
Looks like it may have some Grizz claw marks on it. Is that blood on the front sight, maybe from when the bear shoved the barrel up his..mmm shocked

[img]http://s24.photobucket.com/user/dru...5-B2C6-D31A427D5AAB_zps0swmy3hm.jpg.html[/img]
Originally Posted by Longhunter_1
Looks like it may have some Grizz claw marks on it. Is that blood on the front sight, maybe from when the bear shoved the barrel up his..mmm shocked

[img]http://s24.photobucket.com/user/dru...5-B2C6-D31A427D5AAB_zps0swmy3hm.jpg.html[/img]

?
Originally Posted by Bugger
I think you can buy a new one for around $900. I just bought a 4" 629 for that much a couple months ago.

I really like that revolver. It shoots very accurately and I have no issues with it. However, I have very large hands and I changed grips to accommodate.

That's a mountain gun, different animal. They don't make mountain guns anymore
That's a mountain gun, different animal. They don't make mountain guns anymore

Glad I've got mine

[Linked Image]
Long hunter I like the grips...what are they?
Long hunter I like the grips...what are they?

They're Smith grips that came on the gun. It's hard to see in the picture but the word MOUNTAIN is in raised letters acrossed the checkering at the bottom of the grips

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RJM Re: S&W Mountain Gun .44 Mag.... - 08/27/16
I had three 629 MGs at one time...two were -2s and the last a -5. I kept the -5 because it matched the 657 and 625/.45 ACP MGs I had. Yours being a -4 still has the forged action parts and firing pin on the hammer. The -5 is still pre-IL but has the MIM parts.

If you polish the barrel you will take the markings right off. Smith in its infinite wisdom went to etching the markings instead of the time tested steel stamp roll marks...probably cheaper to do but any amount of polishing will take them right off.

Over in the completed auction file at GunBroker -4s in the condition your gun is in with no box bring in the $800s...

If you don't reload you may want to try the Speer Gold Dot HP 200 grain .44 Magnum Short Barrel Load...it runs the 200 grain bullet made for their .44 Special loads at 1080 fps from a 4" barrel. The bullet will expand every time and recoil is mild.

Bob
Posted By: JSH Re: S&W Mountain Gun .44 Mag.... - 08/27/16
That's a nice one. My 657 version is one of my favorite shooters.
I put a target hammer on my -3. 3's and 4's were as good as they got.

[Linked Image]

$750-$800?

You done good. That is, IMO, one of the most desireable dash models. Congratulations on a good find.
Originally Posted by RJM
I had three 629 MGs at one time...two were -2s and the last a -5. I kept the -5 because it matched the 657 and 625/.45 ACP MGs I had. Yours being a -4 still has the forged action parts and firing pin on the hammer. The -5 is still pre-IL but has the MIM parts.

If you polish the barrel you will take the markings right off. Smith in its infinite wisdom went to etching the markings instead of the time tested steel stamp roll marks...probably cheaper to do but any amount of polishing will take them right off.

Over in the completed auction file at GunBroker -4s in the condition your gun is in with no box bring in the $800s...

If you don't reload you may want to try the Speer Gold Dot HP 200 grain .44 Magnum Short Barrel Load...it runs the 200 grain bullet made for their .44 Special loads at 1080 fps from a 4" barrel. The bullet will expand every time and recoil is mild.

Bob

Thanks for the great information! I didn't know which one it was and bought it sight unseen but didn't think I could go wrong for the money. I also have a 629-1 that was my dads. I don't know if I'll keep the "new" 629-4 or give it to a buddy as a gift but either way it's a sweet revolver.

Thanks again!
It sure would be nice to hear from you soon pal. wink
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
It sure would be nice to hear from you soon pal. wink

LOL!
Guess I'm slow, but what did you pay for it?
I gave $500 for it
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I gave $500 for it
I just threw up in my mouth...
I gave $500 for it

No doubt it's worth that.
Originally Posted by muleshoe
I gave $500 for it

I figured I'd be ok but you never know when you take a flier on a gun with marginal pictures from a seller you don't know in another state. Worked out well and the seller was pretty great with communication so I was comfortable with it
Originally Posted by muleshoe
I gave $500 for it

I figured I'd be ok but you never know when you take a flier on a gun with marginal pictures from a seller you don't know in another state. Worked out well and the seller was pretty great with communication so I was comfortable with it
Excellent buy. Congrats.
© 24hourcampfire