Home
Both Doubletap and Buffalo Bore sell a +P load, but I want a standard pressure load in one of these weights, plus I'm not made of money. I emailed Hodgdon and they don't have any loads. I did find this on Reloadersnest.com:

http://reloadersnest.com/query_bw_handgun.asp?CaliberID=17&BulletWeight=255

Thanks in advance.

JV
44afic,

My favorite 45acp load is a Lee 255gr cast with 5 grains of Unique.
I get 850fps with my 4.25" barrel comander.

I load 6grs of Unique behind 255gr cast bullets.
For a DW VBOB, my notes say 255 gr LaserCast bullets loaded over 5.2 gr of Unique to an OAL of 1.16" gives 850 fps.

The same setup with 6 gr of Unique puts it a little over 900 fps.

The recoil is quite snappy even with a stiffer recoil spring.

200 gr SWC's over 700 7.0 gr of Unique went 950 fps and were much more pleasant to shoot.

Originally Posted by alukban

200 gr SWC's over 700 gr of Unique went 950 fps and were much more pleasant to shoot.

Only 10 loads per pound of powder!
Originally Posted by irfubar
44afic,

My favorite 45acp load is a Lee 255gr cast with 5 grains of Unique.
I get 850fps with my 4.25" barrel comander.

Been a few years since I loaded .45 ACP/255's but I wanna say that was my load also. My recollection was about 810fps out of my Commander.

I also put an RCBS 45-250-FN which threw bullets at 262gr in my mold with straight wheel weights. I loaded that bullet over the same powder charge of 5.0 of Unique for around 770fps (IIRC)

250's are snug in a .45 ACP case, but they'll fit and every 250 I've loaded into my .45 ACP's has been quite accurate.
Originally Posted by jwp475

200 gr SWC's over 700 gr of Unique went 950 fps and were much more pleasant to shoot.

HA HA!

That's supposed to be "7" gr -> NOT "700" smile
You can find some on the 6.0 free download, for 45 ACP and +P, up to 250 gr.

http://blog.westernpowders.com/newest-reloading-data/

Originally Posted by jwp475

HA HA!

That's supposed to be "7" gr -> NOT "700" smile

I was gonna say "I'll bet that thing kicks almost as hard as a Forty does on the Internet!" wink
Originally Posted by 444afic
Both Doubletap and Buffalo Bore sell a +P load, but I want a standard pressure load in one of these weights, plus I'm not made of money. I emailed Hodgdon and they don't have any loads. I did find this on Reloadersnest.com:

http://reloadersnest.com/query_bw_handgun.asp?CaliberID=17&BulletWeight=255

Thanks in advance.

JV

25 years ago we were getting right at 900 f/s with Blue Dot and 255 SWCs. Believe it was a +P load and I ran a 24# spring in my Colt. I recall the charge but won't state it w/o a reputable publishing of that specific load. I will check my tattered old copy of Metallic Cartridge Reloading in a bit and see what it says.
Has anyone done penetration tests with 250 grain bullets in a 45 acp? I'm wondering if the 250 will out penetrate a 230 that is going 100 fps faster.
© 24hourcampfire