Home
Posted By: MikeL2 The R51 is back - 09/30/16
They're on the shelf locally, $399 - $499. I'd like to see Remington get them right this time. Anyone here have a new one to tell us about yet?
Posted By: g5m Re: The R51 is back - 10/01/16
It looks like a nice pistol. I hope it's right, too.
Posted By: deflave Re: The R51 is back - 10/01/16
That's what financial advisers would refer to as a "poor investment."

What an ugly POS.

Travis
Posted By: viking Re: The R51 is back - 10/01/16
I looked at one at a gun show, eh. Big green should stick to M700's and 870's.
Posted By: bea175 Re: The R51 is back - 10/01/16
I wouldn't waste my money on one
Posted By: Allen917 Re: The R51 is back - 10/01/16
Originally Posted by deflave
That's what financial advisers would refer to as a "poor investment."

What an ugly POS.

Travis

I've got a model 51 made in 1920 and it is a beautiful gun, slim and points very naturally like a Luger. It is a little finicky about bullet shapes but otherwise functions well.

But yes the R51 is ugly and not worthy of the model 51 legacy. You would think they could find a new model number for it.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: The R51 is back - 10/01/16
Originally Posted by g5m
It looks like a nice pistol. I hope it's right, too.
Yeah, ever since they first appeared in the gun press, I thought they were neat looking guns (like something Buck Rogers might carry), and predicted they'd be a success, assuming they worked.
Posted By: Mesabi Re: The R51 is back - 10/01/16
I handled one this week. The trigger was not as bad as some of the reports I've seen; reset is rather long and indistinct, but it's not a bad trigger for a concealed carry defense piece. I like the anti-snag profile of the rear sight and the overall ergonomics. I just hope they've addressed the reliability issues.

Ugly? Maybe; but no uglier than a Glock, XD, M&P, Taurus, etc.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: The R51 is back - 10/01/16
you would have to have a serious mental problem to buy one of these. Go buy a replica star trek phaser, fondle that one and then get a glock to bet your life on.
Posted By: Mesabi Re: The R51 is back - 10/01/16
So you've handled or shot one, or just regurgitating something you've heard?
Posted By: SargeMO Re: The R51 is back - 10/01/16
Fad drives the market and single stack nines are all the rage now. While there is nothing about this pistol that appeals to me, it will sell all the same.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: The R51 is back - 10/02/16
Originally Posted by deflave
. What an ugly POS.
Travis

Gotta agree with Flave on this one! Also, the first release a couple of years ago failed miserably and ALL of them were recalled. You couldn't give me one of those POS.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: The R51 is back - 10/02/16
So that looks like a no, no one has any actual experience shooting a new/re-release model?
Posted By: jimmyp Re: The R51 is back - 10/02/16
a 100% recall, a re-release and you seem to want to buy one when no one else does, interesting that you really want to buy one.
Posted By: g5m Re: The R51 is back - 10/02/16
Originally Posted by MikeL2
So that looks like a no, no one has any actual experience shooting a new/re-release model?

Never seen one. I just hoped it might be a good pocket pistol. In a sense the new one reminds me of the old Whitney 22.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: The R51 is back - 10/02/16
I can't get there from here! sick
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: The R51 is back - 10/02/16
Originally Posted by jimmyp
a 100% recall, a re-release and you seem to want to buy one when no one else does, interesting that you really want to buy one.
at what point did I say I wanted to buy one?
Posted By: mudhen Re: The R51 is back - 10/02/16
Made me look. sick No, thanks!
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: The R51 is back - 10/02/16
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: The R51 is back - 10/02/16
I watched a video review from The Firearms Blog. 500-round test, with various ammo.

Not for me. Too many stoppages.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: The R51 is back - 10/04/16
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

By about the 9:30 mark, I know all I need to know about the gun. I stopped watching at about 15:00. No point in going any further after that....

To bad. I had hopes that they could pull this one off. In spite of the fashion opinion held by many here, the form, in this case, does follow the intended function. Possibly another good idea with bad execution. Or maybe, it just can't work.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: The R51 is back - 10/04/16
Yeah, the mechanical design is radically different, so it's no wonder there are problems. Certainly didn't go with tried and true firearms mechanics.
© 24hourcampfire