Home
By "junk" I mean that you paid under $300 for it but still think it's cool. Let's see em
Paid $275.00 for this old Colt Official Police. Mechanically perfect, and a great shooter. Lots of honest finish wear, so likely carried a lot and shot a little.

PS Colt issued a statement with this revolver (after S&W came out with the .38/44 Heavy Duty) that this model Colt (The Official Police - built on the "41-Frame," originally designed for a .41 caliber round that's now obsolete) was fully up to shooting the .38/44 loads (bridging the pressure/power gap between +P .38 Special and .357 Magnum) designed for the S&W N-Frame Heavy Duty (You might say the .38/44 load was the pre-.357 Magnum). The Official Police was a good bit overbuilt for .38 Special, thus its ability to handle it. A very solid gun, even if not quite as beefy as an N-Frame. It was likely the equal to the S&W L-Frame, that came out much later.

PPS Barney Fife, of the Andy Griffith Show, was alternatively seen with the Colt Official Police and the S&W M&P.

[Linked Image]
No pic, but I've got a 3" Rossi .38 Spl. snubby that works, and works well. 158 LRN bullets shoot to the sights.

Heck, I've shot prairie dog pups with it at 40-45 yards, it shoots plenty good.

It's not slick and smooth like a broken-in Smith, but J-frames ain't K-frames, either, they can be pretty rough, too.

This old Rossi was my late brother's gun, one of the few really worth keeping (he had "questionable" tastes in his firearms)He also had a Davis .380 that I tried to give away (to a gunsmith, for parts) and he refused it.. I'll hang onto it as long as I'm alive. It was a big surprise to me, to see how well it shoots.

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Paid $275.00 for this old Colt Official Police. Mechanically perfect, and a great shooter. Lots of honest finish wear, so likely carried a lot and shot a little.

PS Colt issued a statement with this revolver (after S&W came out with the .38/44 Heavy Duty) that this model Colt (The Official Police - built on the "41-Frame," originally designed for a .41 caliber round that's now obsolete) was fully up to shooting the .38/44 loads (bridging the pressure/power gap between +P .38 Special and .357 Magnum) designed for the S&W N-Frame Heavy Duty (You might say the .38/44 load was the pre-.357 Magnum). The Official Police was a good bit overbuilt for .38 Special, thus its ability to handle it. A very solid gun, even if not quite as beefy as an N-Frame. It was likely the equal to the S&W L-Frame, that came out much later.

PPS Barney Fife, of the Andy Griffith Show, was alternatively seen with the Colt Official Police and the S&W M&P.

[Linked Image]
How long ago did you get it for that price?
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
How long ago did you get it for that price?
I'm going to guess about ten years ago. Why?

I bought it at a pawn shop.
Good price
I paid $165 for this junk revolver.

When I got it most of the bluing was gone but no pitting.

So I sandblasted it and Cerakoted it graphite black.

It's my favorite revolver now.

Early three screw single six

[Linked Image]
I know it ain't a revolver but the only "junk" gun I own.

Commander sized .45 I cobbled together one bored weekend. Had the internals and other parts laying around, a beat up old colt frame and a complete no name upper (probably Armscore). Dang thing shoots better than I can and I have zero cash in it.

[Linked Image]
Locally, old Colt OPs and others of that time frame don't hold their value like S&Ws do.

I was able to buy an older Colt Trooper (4" .38 Spl.) for practically a song and dance some years ago. It shot great, but the grip size is just a bit too big for my paws. My hands fit a K or L-frame Smith better. I gotta say that the Colt shot very, very well, though.
Posted By: EdM Re: Your favorite "junk" revolver - 10/09/16
An early, Riverhead NY, US Arms Abilene 7 1/2" 44 Mag. Beat up on the outside, dead tight, a slick as goose poop action with a fine 2 1/2# trigger. I bought it in 2004 for $165 OTD from a pawn shop in Crosby Texas. I have no factory Ruger that even comes close in build quality.

Thinking a bit more, this Colt falls into the under $300 line. I bought it a couple of years ago.

[Linked Image]
Apparently both of my revolvers are pieces of junk.....grin.

I've got a 1970's Ruger SBH 44 Mag I bought new for $168.00, and an early 1980's Ruger Security Six I paid about $248.00 new.

Who knew?
Originally Posted by EdM
An early, Riverhead NY, US Arms Abilene 7 1/2" 44 Mag. Beat up on the outside, dead tight, a slick as goose poop action with a fine 2 1/2# trigger. I bought it in 2004 for $165 OTD from a pawn shop in Crosby Texas. I have no factory Ruger that even comes close in build quality.

Thinking a bit more, this Colt falls into the under $300 line. I bought it a couple of years ago.

[Linked Image]
You got that Colt for under three bills????
Posted By: EdM Re: Your favorite "junk" revolver - 10/09/16
Well if I look back a number of years I, like you, have a pile. I gave $375 for my first M29 in 1978. New in the wood case from a local gunshop. I still have it.
Sometimes I wish I was ancient...
I have a nice older model Charter Arms 3" 22 Mag I paid $250 for. Nice handy little kit gun.
I have ALOT of Ruger and Smith revolvers than are a tad under $300
but like a few have mentioned they were all purchased at least a decade ago. Those days are long gone.

My favorite JUNK revolver is a JC Higgins Model 88 which is a High Standard Sentinel clone once sold by Sears. $100 and it has been a phenomenal plinker.
My best for under $300 is a 3" S&W M13 that I got for $275 OTD. It was stuck in a corner of the LGS cabinet with the Rossis and Tauri. Lots of blue wear, but tight and it has a super trigger. I doubt I'll ever sell that one.

WW
1930s vintage Colt Official Police.

I paid $140.

It served as a house gun for the wife when we first got together, as it was all I could afford.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It is marked "JPD" on the bottom of the grip frame, and the grips appear to show wear from being carried in a flap holster.
Very nice.
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]
Amazing price for a Police Positive in that condition.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

I paid $140.

It served as a house gun for the wife when we first got together, as it was all I could afford.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It is marked "JPD" on the bottom of the grip frame, and the grips appear to show wear from being carried in a flap holster.
If it's mechanically good, that's a fine weapon for home defense.
Here's Barney with my Colt Official Police. Well, it's his gun, but an escaped convict took it from him and held it to his head.

[Linked Image]

Looks exactly like mine.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

I paid $140.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That sir, is a mighty fine revolver at any price.
Ruger Speed Six 38 special

[Linked Image]
In 1972 I bought a near mint/all original 1932 dated Enfield No. Mk I for $35.00.
Posted By: EdM Re: Your favorite "junk" revolver - 10/10/16
Reminded me of my Ruger.

[Linked Image]

And a Colt I picked up a few years ago.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Colt New Service, .45 Colt, 1920 vintage. Paid $250 for it ten years ago or so. Fashioned the bookmatched cherry grips for it myself, to replace the POS grips that were on it. Not exactly junk, but cheap enough nonetheless.
And my other 'junk' Ruger that I bought right about the time of the Speed Six

SS Security Six, 357. It was sold by a lesbian couple that had kept it for home protection, but one was suffering depression so they wanted it gone. I don't think it had a box of ammo through it.

[Linked Image]
Dear Scott and Ed,

You both suck.

Signed,
Me
This one's ugly, but she still has it where it counts.

[Linked Image]
Both handguns meet your criteria.

[Linked Image]
Ruger Security-Six 357 Mag.

[Linked Image]
Ruger Single Six 22LR
I paid $275 for my Ruger Blackhawk .41 Mag at the Rod & Gun Club in Kaiserslautern, Germany in 1988.

Expat
This is my Security Six. Bought it new around 1980. Gave it to my mom for security. It came back to me about 35 years later. I don't think it had 50 rounds through it.

[Linked Image]
My other piece-o-junk. 44 SBH bought new in 1977.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by GunGeek

[Linked Image]

Very nice. Reminds me of Bonnie Parker's Colt.
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
Originally Posted by GunGeek

[Linked Image]

Very nice. Reminds me of Bonnie Parker's Colt.
Lots of character on that awesome little revolver. I've got a DS just like it.
Posted By: RGK Re: Your favorite "junk" revolver - 10/11/16
S&W 442 Airweight. My faithful Los Angeles rock cocaine-buying companion.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Taurus model 431. 44 Special, stainless. Traded a then coworker a somewhat beat up aluminum boat for it. The coworker was a bit shifty and I have to admit that I sorta held my breath for a couple months when I turned in the transfer paperwork to the Sheriff's department. I refer to it as a chubby snubby.

[Linked Image]

The next one fits the criteria of the thread due to getting an absolutely smoking deal on it. I bought this Ruger GP 100 brand new in 99 or 2000 for the enormous sum of $275 plus tax. That's it - brand new in box from a dealer downstate. I had always wanted a GP in stainless with a 6" full lugged barrel, but when I saw this one for the price, I couldn't let it get away. It's a great shooter and has done it's part (and more) to help me pull off some impressive shots.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Taurus model 431. 44 Special, stainless. Traded a then coworker a somewhat beat up aluminum boat for it. The coworker was a bit shifty and I have to admit that I sorta held my breath for a couple months when I turned in the transfer paperwork to the Sheriff's department. I refer to it as a chubby snubby.

[Linked Image]

Ouch, that hurts. That's another one I let get away. Some days, you wake up stupid....

Another Taurus that turned out great - but I didn't let it slip - is the blued 5" model 94. Not just good looking, but also extremely accurate. And under $250.
Originally Posted by RGK
S&W 442 Airweight. My faithful Los Angeles rock cocaine-buying companion.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Did you "leave it noisy?" LOL, like you can silence a revolver.

You can suppress a revolver it's just not as effective as suppressing an auto.

Travis
I've yet to find any junk on this thread.

Dave
i was in at a friends lgs this morning, told him semi looking for a revolver for grandson, payment for some work done. He had a 686 for 750bucks. Was commenting on the absence of smith revolvers in the area now for some years.
He said the youngin's are watching worlds or war, video games and really up on semiauto striker fired weapons, or rifles. They never really watched the john wayne movies i did so were not interested in revolvers.
How much truth is in that i wonder?
Originally Posted by deflave
You can suppress a revolver it's just not as effective as suppressing an auto.

Travis
Not by adding anything to the muzzle end, you can't, unless it's a Nagant, which was designed to seal the gap between the cylinder and the breach end of the barrel at the moment it's fired.

Dave

Pic sent in PM........
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Dave

Pic sent in PM........

Good one! grin You beat me to it while I was trying to figure out how to phrase it
For future reference, it's much quicker to type with BOTH hands....
Not by adding anything to the muzzle end, you can't, unless it's a Nagant, which was designed to seal the gap between the cylinder and the breach end of the barrel at the moment it's fired.

Think what you want but a suppressed revolver shooting sub-sonics makes a fugk of a lot less noise than a standard revolver.

Travis

Originally Posted by Steelhead

Pic sent in PM........

Impressive.

I replied.

Dave
My submission.

The .40 S&W ToreAss.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i was in at a friends lgs this morning, told him semi looking for a revolver for grandson, payment for some work done. He had a 686 for 750bucks. Was commenting on the absence of smith revolvers in the area now for some years.
He said the youngin's are watching worlds or war, video games and really up on semiauto striker fired weapons, or rifles. They never really watched the john wayne movies i did so were not interested in revolvers.
How much truth is in that i wonder?

My oldest son is of that age, but wants a 629.
My submission.

The .40 S&W ToreAss.

[Linked Image]
That's pretty cool.
This one I guess. Used to be my uncle's before he died. The finish was shot and there was pitting so I parked it. Great little 22 for bumming around.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: PSH Re: Your favorite "junk" revolver - 10/11/16
My retired Detroit PD Official Police that I picked up for 275.00 a few years ago. It is the bedroom revolver.

I didn't think that I was ancient, but the other two just missed being junk by 50 and 100.00 respectively in the later 80's. That 4 incher was NIB, wish it still was, but she aint been shot a bunch.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Rossi .22 with 4 inch barrel. Fun little gun to shoot.
My submission.

The .40 S&W ToreAss.

[Linked Image]
Now there's an interesting idea for a small frame revolver. I assume it's steel frame. The Taurus moon clips are fine for the range, but they don't hold up in your pocket for concealed carry. Does anyone make a "conventional" moon clip for that gun? Otherwise, I guess the solution is just by a chit-ton of the ToreAss moon clips.
TK Custom makes some and if I remember right I have some plastic versions that somebody made/makes for them.

I shot it for a while just to make sure it worked and hit to POA. But it sits in a room in the house on top of a rafter now. "Basement gun."

I paid $300 even for it.

It's a steel frame. Five shooter.

Dave
Posted By: JSH Re: Your favorite "junk" revolver - 10/13/16
Not junk in my opinion but by your price standard I have a S&W Model 64 DAO that was likely a security guard turn in. Paid well under $300 for it and even with fixed sights and DAO it shoots great. Put a slightly lighter spring kit in it and clay pigeons on the 100 yard berm better look out if I've been practicing a bit. With my free cast bullets I can shoot it cheaper than a 22 rimfire as well. One of my smartest purchases ever.
In the eighties, IIRC, I picked up a new Colt 4" Police Positive Special for ~$275. Trigger wasn't much to brag about, so I had it improved. It was sort of okay, but I never shined up to it and neither did my wife. FIL needed a house pistol, so we sold it to him. I'm told to expect it to return when he finally leaves the building for good. It wasn't junk when I last saw it, but I fully expect that it will be by then (as is any tool that is left in that household for long) - but at least the price will be right.

OTOH - one of the family miscreants will probably score it on the sly, and I won't have to look at it anyway.
Well, I have two Herter's revolvers now, asking price for the .44 mag was $350, and I swapped a Charter Arms .38/.357 for it, even up. The .401 Power Mag I gave $390 for. Neither are "junk" in any respect but that the prices were low. Even the Charter Arms I swapped - that I think I gave $175 for years ago - was a decent truck gun.

Mike
It would probably be one of these three.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

No junk there. I like the Ruger a lot.
Originally Posted by Bristoe

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I didn't know the Security Six was ever available with fixed sights.
TK Custom makes some and if I remember right I have some plastic versions that somebody made/makes for them.

I shot it for a while just to make sure it worked and hit to POA. But it sits in a room in the house on top of a rafter now. "Basement gun."

I paid $300 even for it.

It's a steel frame. Five shooter.

Dave

I was on the tk custom website last night, looking at their writeup on converting a redhawk cylinder for 45colt to handle also .45acp with moon clips. Anybody have this done? results? problems?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I didn't know the Security Six was ever available with fixed sights.

The fixed sight models are the Service Six. This one shoots very close to point of aim.

I found it in a little gun shop about 5 years ago for $280. I took it up front to pay for it and the guy who was running the cash register said, "Dang!,..I didn't know that was back there!"
The 4" Smith cost me $260, I think. I was marked 290 and I talked him down a bit. The 5" is 99% and I got it for a $235 bid on gunbroker,...paid a $25 transfer fee and $10 or so shipping. That was about 6 years ago, or so.

Those days went away pretty quick. Nice old Model 10's are bringing about $500 when I see them these days.
S&W First Model Safety Hammerless, .32 S&W.

Saved me once, that earns it a favorite spot.

The fixed sight models are the Service Six. This one shoots very close to point of aim.

I found it in a little gun shop about 5 years ago for $280. I took it up front to pay for it and the guy who was running the cash register said, "Dang!,..I didn't know that was back there!"
I bet he was pissed he didn't snatch it first.

I've twice picked out a firearm to purchase, only to have the owner (in one case) or the owner's son (in another case) snatch it from me while I had my wallet out at the register. Two different gun shops. Two different states.

One was an Argentine 1911 in really nice shape, priced right. The other was a Turkish Mauser in nearly pristine, all original, shape, also priced right (actually, priced like a standard surplus rifle, rather than the rare gem it was). In both cases, they likely got priced and put on the shelves, from a big overseas mil-surplus shipment, by some stock boy who didn't know what he was looking at.

The 1911 was almost mine at the register, when the owner came out from the back room, saw it for the first time, and, after lusting over it for a few seconds, declared that this was already promised to someone else (Really? Then why was it in the glass counter with a price tag on it?). He was a collector of military issue 1911s and A1s, by the way, and had much of his collection on display in the store.

With the Mauser, I was at the register when the owner's young son (different business completely), early twenties, suddenly caught sight of what I was buying (I had picked it out from amongst dozens of them on the floor racks ... but none other nearly as nice), darted over, took it out of the hands of the cashier, and declared that this rifle is defective ... has a dangerous head-spacing issue, and can't be sold. He then took it into the back office with a big smile on his face.

Really? You can tell that about the head spacing by just lustfully looking the rifle over at the register??
One morning in this century my senior partner came into my office and said,

"I'm cleaning out some stuff and found an old pistol I bought a long time ago. It makes me nervous to have it around, would you want it?"

"Sure, how much?"

"How's $150?"

"Deal."

That afternoon he brought me a S&W Model 38 Airweight, ANIB with the box and cleaning rod, and a red and green box of Remington wadcutters with 48 cartridges still in it. Very slick little 5-shot J Frame with the hammer shroud.

He'd bought it mail order from Abercrombie and Fitch back when they outfitted people for safaris instead of trips to the skateboarding park, fired two rounds, and put it away.
This one probably qualifies as both cheap and junk. It started out over 40 years ago as a stubby with colored frame and white grips. sick

Years in a tackle box took its toll and I replaced the barrel and grips plus painted the frame flat black. It still goes with me as a tackle box-trail gun. I always figure if I lose it it won't be a big deal. History shows that evidently it is too ugly to lose or be stolen I guess. laugh

[Linked Image]

I guess it's fairly obvious that no one would pay $300 for this gem and I certainly didn't pay even close to one-third that much. But it has never failed me so it ranks "cool" to me. wink
Originally Posted by BKinSD
One morning in this century my senior partner came into my office and said,

"I'm cleaning out some stuff and found an old pistol I bought a long time ago. It makes me nervous to have it around, would you want it?"

"Sure, how much?"

"How's $150?"

"Deal."

That afternoon he brought me a S&W Model 38 Airweight, ANIB with the box and cleaning rod, and a red and green box of Remington wadcutters with 48 cartridges still in it. Very slick little 5-shot J Frame with the hammer shroud.

He'd bought it mail order from Abercrombie and Fitch back when they outfitted people for safaris instead of trips to the skateboarding park, fired two rounds, and put it away.
Damn! Nice collectable gun.
Originally Posted by Idared
This one probably qualifies as both cheap and junk. It started out over 40 years ago as a stubby with colored frame and white grips. sick

Years in a tackle box took its toll and I replaced the barrel and grips plus painted the frame flat black. It still goes with me as a tackle box-trail gun. I always figure if I lose it it won't be a big deal. History shows that evidently it is too ugly to lose or stolen I guess. laugh

[Linked Image]
What the hell is that?
What the hell is that?

A High Standard Sentinel nine shot 22 caliber revolver.

Many people called them junk when they were new but they worked for me, besides being what I could afford in the early 60s.
What the hell is that?

A High Standard Sentinel nine shot 22 caliber revolver.

Many people called them junk when they were new but they worked for me, besides being what I could afford in the early 60s.
If it works, that's good enough.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Those bring some memories. I carried the M10 round butt in El Salvador, and the Service Six in the Congo. Embassy duty in the early 1980's.

I'll have you know white grips make them shoot better. Nine rounds of Federal Automatch from my old Sentinel, double action at 50 yards.

[Linked Image]

Since I'm a .44 Special fan, my "junk" .44 Specials are Rossi 720s and Taurus 441s and 443s. A couple of weeks ago a fellow traded his 6" Taurus 443 for a 22" Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08 that I had $265 in.
Still no junk on this thread...

Dave

Dave

That's kinda what I'm thinking too. Unless one of you has an RG, Herbert Schmidt, Clerke etc. you want to roll out, we are spinning our wheels here.
Originally Posted by SargeMO

I'll have you know white grips make them shoot better. Nine rounds of Federal Automatch from my old Sentinel, double action at 50 yards.

[Linked Image]

That Sentinel actually looks pretty nice to me. The finish is very nice considering its age.

Mine had white "Hawk bill" grips that looked kinda funky to me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mighty fine old hardware there, Bristoe.
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I'll have you know white grips make them shoot better

yeah...

[Linked Image]

same holds true for semi-auto's.....

[Linked Image]
Troof...

[Linked Image]
Damn nice bunch of revolvers. Elmer is up there grinning at you Flave.
Does this count for white furniture?

[Linked Image]
To me it does.

Dave

It's a tough category.
Junk and favorite don't go naturally together. We all likely avoid acquiring actual junk, and if we do, we quickly rid ourselves of it. Junk, however, for the purpose of this thread, was redefined as any revolver that cost us less than $300.00.
I'm going to cheat and put up an autoloader that I paid under $300 for "new" about a year ago down at Bud's. He's asking $321 for them now, but in my opinion, they're the best handgun *period* in their price range. I paid $289.95 for one like this during their introductory offer. Kahr CT9.

[Linked Image]
I'm going to cheat and put up an autoloader that I paid under $300 for "new" about a year ago down at Bud's. He's asking $321 for them now, but in my opinion, they're the best handgun *period* in their price range. I paid $289.95 for one like this during their introductory offer. Kahr CT9.

[Linked Image]
Way to be a thread killer with the semi auto...
I have no picture but mine is a Dan Wesson model 15-2. (High Standard sentinel MK111 ) Its been a while but I may have payed as much as 150.
Owned two Kahrs ...both 45's. Both same problems. Many misfires, jamming, FTF's. Had several gunsmiths take a look. They all said dump them and take a loss.

[Linked Image]
At least he managed to post a piece of junk.

Travis
At least he managed to post a piece of junk.

Travis
Guess we need a tutorial on the difference between a revolver and a semi-auto...

[Linked Image]

OTOH, that's about as close as you can come to shooting a good DA revolver with an autopistol.
© 24hourcampfire