Home
Here are my 3 most esoteric-i.e. unusual, produced in small numbers, etc.
1. Mossberg-AIG Abilene. Mossberg had been thinking of getting back into hand guns in 1980 or so, they bought U.S. Arms of Riverhead, LI and were going to market the Abilene under their label. The story I was told was that Ruger claimed patent infringement and the Abilene was quickly ended.
2. Security Industries of America 38 Special. This was a small company in Little Ferry, NJ marketing a Chief's Special sized 38, then 357. Massad Ayoob spoke well of them in American Handgunner but the owner had financial problems which led to labor problems and quality problems. Mine is in drydock until I figure out to replace the rings securing the firing pin.
3. 4" Colt Official Police made in the late 1960s-with satin nickel finish. Compared to my satin nickel Combat Commander it looks they were made at the same time. I have seen pictures of a Colt Cobra in the satin nickel finish, but I have never seen another Colt OP-or any Colt revolvers-so finished.
Ruger Blackhawk in .327 Federal.
Posted By: mart Re: Your most esoteric handgun ? - 10/10/16
Herter's 401 Powermag. Preceded the 41 mag by a few years and would stop anything on the planet, at least according to George.
[Linked Image]
Can't think of any handguns in that category. I have a pre-64 Winchester Super Grade 70 that's in really nice shape. It's in a fairly common caliber, though, i.e., .270 Winchester.
Definitely my old Star Model F .22 Pistol.

[Linked Image]

I ordered a Colt Detective Special II back in 1998. When it showed up at the dealers it was a Colt Magnum Carry in .357. I decided I would keep it. Still got it new and unfired in the box.

Also got a new unfired S&W Ladysmith in a neat little padded red box. If my wife ever found it she would probably sneak it out and start shooting it. It predates her, so she doesn't know about it.
Colt Super Lite Commander .38 Super, Serial #002...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MikeS Re: Your most esoteric handgun ? - 10/10/16
Freedom Arms .454

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RJM Re: Your most esoteric handgun ? - 10/11/16
Colt El Capitan...#7 of 350. Only Officers ACP length slide .38 Super Colt ever made...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hand carved 1950s vintage Indian elephant ivory stocks...

[Linked Image]

Mart, I'll have to "second" the Herter's .401 Powermag! Waiting on some ammo to shoot the one I recently acquired!

Mike
FN 25 ACP Baby Auto made in 1922

[Linked Image]
Posted By: EdM Re: Your most esoteric handgun ? - 10/11/16
Either my Ruger 44 Special

[Linked Image]

or my TLA #5 44 Mag.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mart Re: Your most esoteric handgun ? - 10/11/16
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
Mart, I'll have to "second" the Herter's .401 Powermag! Waiting on some ammo to shoot the one I recently acquired!

Mike

I found a 150 rounds of brass and a set of CH4D dies for mine. I have also been making cases from new Starline 41 mag using a 40 S&W die to start and a 7/8-14 bolt bored and reamed to .426 to finish the cases to the rim. Time consuming but cases are hard to find and expensive if you do find them.

I have all three of the Powermags, 357, 401 and 44. Strong and very well made guns.
22 TCM Rock Island Armory 1911...convertible to 9mm Luger.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
If I knew what esoteric meant I would tell you.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave
If I knew what esoteric meant I would tell you.

Travis

PM sent
S&W commercial 1917 in 45 Colt

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Allen917
I ordered a Colt Detective Special II back in 1998. When it showed up at the dealers it was a Colt Magnum Carry in .357. I decided I would keep it. Still got it new and unfired in the box

That's a good one.
Beretta Mini-Cougar DAO in .40 S&W. A confluence of incongruities.
Don't know if I would call my FA .454 esoteric, but it is kinda unique- had it custom built with a 10" octagon barrel with 4-port Magnaporting, unique serial number, sling swivel studs, and trigger job. It wears a Burris 2x LER scope in TSOB 3 ring mounts.

Just got back from a hunt where I used it to take a wild pig and a Red deer hind. Freezer is now full!

[Linked Image]
Savage 101. It's a .22 LR fixed-sight single-shot with manual extraction and ejection. The barrel swings out on a crane/yoke to load, extract and eject. Fun plinker!
Originally Posted by Steelhead
S&W commercial 1917 in 45 Colt

[Linked Image]

thats a beauty
also...

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire