Home
Posted By: RGK Return of the .44 - 10/10/16
Had this one (a 3rd Gen Colt .44 Special) sitting in the safe, unused. Time to shoot it again. Been shooting a DA revolver for bullseye almost daily, so range time with plinkers and special cases like the Colt .44 was limited. Since the bullseye season is over for now, I had time to reacquaint myself with some other guns. I have a ton of factory Winchester .44 246 grain lead stuff, so off to the range I went with plenty of ammo and the Colt.

Point of impact was centered at 25 yards; trigger broke at a creep-free 3.5 lbs, which is perfect. After 60 rounds it got boring shooting 10s and Xs with the big Colt. Recoil was almost nil, about what a K-frame .38 with standard velocity wadcutter would be. All rounds were fired slow-fire with one paw, like handguns are supposed to be shot. Somewhat retro, but fun none-the-less. Might have to do this shooting-as-a-pastime thing more often. Regular training for matches can be mind-numbing.
Bob

Older designs like the SAA can still perform, if you allow for their limitations. This one groups almost as well (and to POA) as my accurized 1911s
[Linked Image]

After a quick clean-up and some fondling, it's time to head back into the safe
[Linked Image]

Posted By: dave284 Re: Return of the .44 - 10/10/16
Damn nice. I like it.

A lot.
Posted By: deerhunter5555 Re: Return of the .44 - 10/10/16
Sexy is the word
Posted By: deflave Re: Return of the .44 - 10/10/16
It needs blood.

Travis
Posted By: RJM Re: Return of the .44 - 10/11/16
Nice...the first SAA I ever fired was back about 1969 and was a .44 Special just like that but with the 7.5" barrel...was amazed how accurate it was.

Good to get reacquainted with old friends...Bob

Posted By: tominboise Re: Return of the .44 - 10/11/16
Very nice. One of my favorite cartridges.

Good shooting, too.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Return of the .44 - 10/11/16
Great revolver and excellent shooting. I can make do with almost any ottermatic but a good single action is a staple item around here.
Posted By: mart Re: Return of the .44 - 10/11/16
Good shooting and very nice Colt.
Posted By: RGK Re: Return of the .44 - 10/11/16
Originally Posted by deflave
It needs blood.

Travis

Looking for a close-range hog to kill with it. Next spring, maybe.
Bob
Posted By: FWP Re: Return of the .44 - 10/11/16
A beautiful Colt!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Return of the .44 - 10/11/16
Very nice old Colt and excellent shooting.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Return of the .44 - 10/11/16
SWEET!
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Return of the .44 - 10/11/16
I had one of the 3rd gen .44 Specials that was a little sloppy, and I never could warm up to it. Get one, however, that is tightly fitted, and whether Colt or USFA, the Peacemaker becomes a very different gun in feel. You start to realize why they were so treasured in their day.
Posted By: jbmi Re: Return of the .44 - 10/12/16
Nice shooting and good looking Colt, great caliber also.
Here's my 1961 44 Sp. SAA, Colt's letter said it was sent to a Hardware Store in Marquette MI.
Wood grips are factory and came with the gun.
It's been used, but well taken care off. A yooper could have carried it for deer & bear up there.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Return of the .44 - 10/12/16
A blue, 5.5 inch Colt Model P chambered for 44 special is definitely on my "One of these days" list. Perfection.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Return of the .44 - 10/12/16
Excellent!!
Posted By: Bugger Re: Return of the .44 - 10/17/16
What load are you shooting in that Colt
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Return of the .44 - 10/17/16
You ought to tote that out where a friend is a friend.
Posted By: RGK Re: Return of the .44 - 10/17/16
Originally Posted by Bugger

Winchester 246 grain factory round-nose lead.
Bob
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Return of the .44 - 10/17/16
Nice looking gun!
Posted By: mathman Re: Return of the .44 - 10/24/16
Originally Posted by RGK

Bob

I'd find a different load to go after that spring hog.
Posted By: EdM Re: Return of the .44 - 10/25/16
Nice stuff but I never understood why one would choose to shot with one hand when they have two?
Posted By: RGK Re: Return of the .44 - 10/25/16
Originally Posted by EdM
Nice stuff but I never understood why one would choose to shot with one hand when they have two?

Started shooting on the Army pistol team years ago. Since they paid for all my ammo, guns and trips, I did what I was told. Works pretty good if you don't know any better.
Bob
Posted By: RGK Re: Return of the .44 - 10/25/16
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by RGK

Bob

I'd find a different load to go after that spring hog.

Roger that. I'll probably use a SWC at 1000 fps or so.
Bob
Posted By: EdM Re: Return of the .44 - 10/26/16
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by EdM

Started shooting on the Army pistol team years ago. Since they paid for all my ammo, guns and trips, I did what I was told. Works pretty good if you don't know any better.
Bob

Got it. I assume when you are hunting you use both hands?
Posted By: RGK Re: Return of the .44 - 10/26/16
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by EdM

Bob

Yes. But I've noticed that practicing shooting one-handed makes two-handed shooting an easier proposition.
Bob
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Return of the .44 - 10/28/16
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by EdM

Bob

i can give you a good reason. what if one of your arms gets a hole through it or otherwise disabled?
we always practiced strong arm, weak arm, double handed, left barricade, right barricade, and distances from about 7yards to 50 yards.
also how to reload a semiauto one handed.
Posted By: dodgefan Re: Return of the .44 - 10/28/16
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by EdM

Bob

Yes. But I've noticed that practicing shooting one-handed makes two-handed shooting an easier proposition.
Bob

When I was in high school I busted my wrist and had to wear a cast for about 8 months. I had to do everything weak handed during that time and noticed after getting the cast off that if anything my strong hand shooting had improved.
© 24hourcampfire