Home
Posted By: 43Shooter MTM pistol rest ? - 11/17/16
The one I'm looking at is $15.95 at Natchez and is adjustable for elevation. Looks like it should work and the price is right. Has anyone used one of these?
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: MTM pistol rest ? - 11/17/16
I use an MTM front rifle rest and put a sock filled with rice under the pistols grip.

I know there are lots of different theories regarding rests and handguns but I've found them helpful when doing loadwork to dial in the most accurate load for a handgun.

For heavy kickers I find having something under each elbow is a good idea as I rest my elbows on the bench.
Posted By: 41magfan Re: MTM pistol rest ? - 11/17/16
I looked at that MTM model briefly but for just a few bucks more, I bought this one. Much, much better IMO.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/517357/caldwell-pistolero-pistol-shooting-rest
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: MTM pistol rest ? - 11/18/16
Thanks, I agree, looks like it would be easier to adjust.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: MTM pistol rest ? - 11/19/16
Depending on how high your bench is, a low rest like that can really put a beating on your wrists and elbows; particularly if you have to hunch over to use it. If you get the rest, try putting it on a riser on your bench so that you can shoot while sitting straight up, allowing your body to move backward during recoil.
Posted By: Steve_in_PA Re: MTM pistol rest ? - 11/20/16
I have the Caldwell rest, it's my spare. I got it as a Christmas present. The rest is okay, but to make it better, the center section needs to be stiffened up. I'm talking about the section where the rear rest moves. Too much give. I put a small piece of scrap 2x4 in there, leaving room for the bag to rest in the notches. Much, much better.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: MTM pistol rest ? - 11/20/16
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Depending on how high your bench is, a low rest like that can really put a beating on your wrists and elbows; particularly if you have to hunch over to use it. If you get the rest, try putting it on a riser on your bench so that you can shoot while sitting straight up, allowing your body to move backward during recoil.

I have this rest. The quote above is dead on . Hasbeen
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: MTM pistol rest ? - 11/20/16
Thanks to all for the info.
Posted By: Blowtorch53 Re: MTM pistol rest ? - 11/29/16
I have one of the MTM rests and it works pretty well. Cheap enough too.
© 24hourcampfire