Home
Hi guys, I have a S&W M&P 9mm but I have been thinking about adding a 1911 45ACP to my collection. Been looking at these two guns and was wondering if anyone had thoughts to share. FWIW, I think I want a "commander" sized model as a balance between weight, balance, accuracy, and carry comfort. I'd like one that is mostly black, weighs around 30 pounds and my price range is up to about $1,200 if it's really nice.

Colt Lightweight Commander:
http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/Lightweight-Commander

Kimber Tactical Pro II:
http://www.kimberamerica.com/tactical-pro-ii?___SID=U

I have not shot either of these yet and am still at the spec'ing stage and looking for advice before I go try a couple out.

Thanks,
Rob
Colt out of those two. rugers are great also.
The Sig 1911 Fastback Nightmare Carry would be one to consider if you want to tote it around.
I have a 5" Colt, a 4" Kimber all steel, and a 4.25" Ruger lightweight. They're all good pistols, but if buying a lightweight commander-size right now I'd probably go with a Colt.
Thanks guys,

The Colt is the cheapest one that I've looked at for $840 also.
weighs around 30 pounds

Dang! That's pretty heavy! wink
Originally Posted by bhemry
weighs around 30 pounds

LOL. I see the steel guns up around the 36-40 ounce area. I assume the lightweight ones use alloy frames like aluminum to cut weight. When I'm just shooting at the range for an hour, I don't really care, and in some ways, I like the heavier guns because they're steadier. I assume if I started carrying one, the extra 6-10 ounces would be a big deal after a few hours? But I don't know, because I don't carry mine yet. What do you guys think, I assume an all steel gun is more durable and reliable. Is the slightly lighter weight worth considering for carry comfort?
I think you will really like the Colt. I much prefer it to the steel commander and I do prefer the standard recoil spring setup.
I may be biased, but I have large hands and a double-stack 1911 just feels better to me. These two should be in your price range:

Para P14 Limited
Wilson KZ-45 - if you can find one...
Colt Lightweight Commander without a doubt.
I do have a Para 14-45 Canadian that has been modified a lot and while I dearly love it, the rascal is very heavy to carry when loaded with 15 .45ACP.

I haven't been involved with 1911's much in the last 20-25 years and wondered if those much more knowledgeable than me would add to the OP's search the Ruger LW Commander ??
CDNN Sports has full size Colt's on sale for $749.00 and a full size Springfield Armory Mil. Spec model for $599.00. They are not Commanders, though.
Find the S&W 1911 Scandium Commander. Hella great pistol.
Originally Posted by 4ager

Yeah I am looking at that too but I saw on other posts that it has a unique extractor and the trigger I think is a slightly different design so I didn't know what I thought about that. I think the one I was looking at was the "E-series" model that had that alloy you mentioned. Some people have argued that the alloy models won't last as long as steel guns. But honestly, I'm the kind of guy that will go to the gun range and shoot about 50 live rounds once or twice a month to maintain proficiency. Now, if I find that parcel I want out in the county to build on...that may change grin

Yes they are! I wouldn't hesitate at all to carry one! Huntsman22 seems to really love his.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Yes they are! I wouldn't hesitate at all to carry one! Huntsman22 seems to really love his.

This is the one of those I was looking at:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/sw1911sc-e-series-round-butt-scandium-frame

Buds has it for $1120
This is a picture of a couple of my 1911s and it shows my Colt Delta Elite and my Colt XSE Lightweight Commander in 45 ACP. Both have been flawless from the date that I got them. Get the Colt. You won't regret it.

[Linked Image]
I was looking at the black models because they look stealthier but if I would be using it as a CCW would you just recommend looking at the stainless versions? I assume the cleaning maintenance on those would be easier.
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot

http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/sw1911sc-e-series-round-butt-scandium-frame

Buds has it for $1120

Buy it.
I was looking at the black models because they look stealthier but if I would be using it as a CCW would you just recommend looking at the stainless versions? I assume the cleaning maintenance on those would be easier.

Stainless will still rust. Just a lot less likely to rust than the blued ones.
I would go with the Colt in your post... I have been carrying a Colt Commander in .38 Super daily since 1980. The two that I have carried have been wonderfully accurate and very well made...

Have a third one made just a few years ago and it also has been excellent...

Also I am not sure if they still are, but Colt aluminum frames were forged not cast.

Bob
Originally Posted by RJM
Also I am not sure if they still are, but Colt aluminum frames were forged not cast.

Bob
Good to know. I'll have send Colt an email and ask.
Smith frames are Scandi-monium. A rare and strong Viking alloy from Sveden or someplace......

Buds has it for $1120

Buy it.

Check it out, I found the same model on the Bud's Law Enforcement/Military site for about 200 bucks less or $945 smile
I have been thinking about adding a 1911 45ACP to my collection. Been looking at these two guns and was wondering if anyone had thoughts to share.

Colt Lightweight Commander:
http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/Lightweight-Commander

Kimber Tactical Pro II:
http://www.kimberamerica.com/tactical-pro-ii?___SID=U

There are a couple of differences between those 2 guns to be aware of if they mean anything to you.

The Colt has a barrel bushing, the Kimber does not & has a bull barrel, making the disassembly different.

The Kimber has a firing pin safety system, the Colt has a trigger safety, but they are both different but both accomplish the same goal; both work if you can tolerate firing pin/trigger safeties; both can be removed or circumvented if desired.

The S&W you are considering is an E-series version which means it does not have a firing pin or trigger safety, it's a true pre-'80 series internals configuration.

All are good pieces, just depends on what you like the most; all may need some tuning, or maybe none will need any. Good aftermarket magazines, like Tripp Cobra mags are a big plus.

None are particularly "better or worse" for all intents & purposes, but if you are going to carry it more than shoot it, the lightweight frames are my preference.

JMO&E, YMMV.

MM
My S&W M&P 9mm is a version that doesn't have the safeties so I'm kind of used to not having them. That might be a plus for the E-series model imo.
It still has the normal 1911 thumb & grip safeties, as do the others, as I expect that you know.

MM
The Colt 80 series safety is robust and trouble free, far more so than the Swartz found on series II Kimbers.

I'd get the Colt.
Colt over Kimber or S&W. Nobody likes Kimbers except for guys in the Pac NW.
weighs around 30 pounds

LOL. I see the steel guns up around the 36-40 ounce area. I assume the lightweight ones use alloy frames like aluminum to cut weight. When I'm just shooting at the range for an hour, I don't really care, and in some ways, I like the heavier guns because they're steadier. I assume if I started carrying one, the extra 6-10 ounces would be a big deal after a few hours? But I don't know, because I don't carry mine yet. What do you guys think, I assume an all steel gun is more durable and reliable. Is the slightly lighter weight worth considering for carry comfort?

Durability and reliability of steel vs alloy frame is a non-issue for most users. You'd have to fire tens of thousands of rounds to even consider it.

"Shootability" of steel vs alloy is another matter. Both of my commander size 1911s balance well, but the heavier steel frame pistol is easier to shoot accurately and for longer range sessions. Alloy frame versions are less comfortable to shoot, more comfortable to carry.

Originally Posted by SargeMO
The Colt 80 series safety is robust and trouble free, far more so than the Swartz found on series II Kimbers.

I'd get the Colt.

This is so true.

Colt tried the Swartz system many decades ago. Found it to be problematic. Dropped it real quick.

Also. "Blue Book of Guns" does not like Kimbers. They do not hold their value like the Colts.

...and by the way, the Colt's aluminum frame is forged.
weighs around 30 pounds

LOL. Yeah. That's what stood out for me, too.
Originally Posted by T LEE
Only if they still make one in classic configuration. If so, that would be an excellent choice. In 1911s I've come to shun all the modern bells and whistles that have seemed to become standard (beavertails, etc.). I'd also avoid one with an intenal firing pin safety. Who needs the extra complexity and reassembly hassles every time you field strip it.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
In 1911s I've come to shun all the modern bells and whistles that have seemed to become standard (beavertails, etc.).

Yeah, all that "modern" stuff that has been around since the mid '60's.

Buds has it for $1120

If you're looking in that kind of price range I'd bite the bullet and, for a couple hundred more, go with a Dan Wesson Guardian (Cmdr) or CCO (Ofcr).
Outlaw,
You're on the right track looking at Bud's LE/ Military page. They have some mighty good deals there. It's where I've bought a couple shotguns. Very easy to deal with.
Buy the Colt.
Only if they still make one in classic configuration. If so, that would be an excellent choice. In 1911s I've come to shun all the modern bells and whistles that have seemed to become standard (beavertails, etc.). I'd also avoid one with an intenal firing pin safety. Who needs the extra complexity and reassembly hassles every time you field strip it.

Colt's 21st Century Commander.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Special-Editions/Wiley-Clapp-Pistols

It's moto:
"Everything you need and nothing you don't".

The Wiley

Series 70

Buds has it for $1120

Buy it.

Check it out, I found the same model on the Bud's Law Enforcement/Military site for about 200 bucks less or $945 smile

Buy it.
Originally Posted by JOG
In 1911s I've come to shun all the modern bells and whistles that have seemed to become standard (beavertails, etc.).

Yeah, all that "modern" stuff that has been around since the mid '60's.
They started becoming standard equipment in the 1990s. Regardless of how you characterize these additions, however, I've come to prefer them not being there. You are certainly free to hold a different opinion.
weighs around 30 pounds

LOL. Yeah. That's what stood out for me, too.

ROTF okay, 30 ounces laugh
Originally Posted by Gibby

It's moto:

The Wiley

Series 70
Just misses it for me. They should have left off the beavertail.
I got fat hands, need a beavertail or I gotta bob hell out of the hammer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Gibby

It's moto:

The Wiley

Series 70
Just misses it for me. They should have left off the beavertail.

I do not need a beavertail either. But in a Lightweight, I like. Carries well. The sights are fantastic for old men.

...I chased after one of those Clapp CCO awhile back, second hand.

Should have bought it; with the shorter grip, easier to conceal.

Dumb, dumb, duuuuumb.
They are all fitted in the Custom Shop. The two I have shoot like it.

On the money.

...*more, harder tears.*. cry

....stop rubbin it in so hard, Mr. Gibby.. wink

...pictures?

I use my Colt LTWT Commander for CCW with no problems. The version that I have is a previous production model that was made a few years back. The new dark version Commander is a current production model. That being said, you still have to take proper care of your pistol, whether it's stainless or carbon steel. I would not hesitate to buy either version. After all, it's still a Colt.
Will-
Colt has all the pictures.

Hardware matters.
Late to the party but I picked up a Colt LW Commander from Bud's Gun Shop and I'm very pleased with it.. A lot easier to conceal and more comfortable than my full size 1911..
the springfield armory range officer compact deserves a look. lot of gun for the money.
Two fine choices there
I'd go COLT as well. I'm biased though. I have a Custom COLT Delta Elite smile

Buds has it for $1120

Buy it.

Buy it.

I did...

[Linked Image]
Damn - looks like I triple tapped...
Originally Posted by JGray

[Linked Image]
They even copied the scale pattern of the Ed Brown Kobra Carry.
© 24hourcampfire