Home
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Hi Powers and clones - 12/05/16
I have been shooting some Browning Hi Powers and clones lately and decided I should own one.

I really like the Browning version but I was shooting a FEG clone that had a better trigger and shot just as well for me.

Are the $400 clones really just as good as the $1000 Browning? Or will I be money ahead to just buy the Browning?

Dink
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Hi Powers and clones - 12/05/16
With the glut of Israeli surplus FN Hi-Powers on the market, I would have a hard time paying money for an FEG.
Posted By: okie john Re: Hi Powers and clones - 12/05/16
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/

Okie John
Originally Posted by liliysdad
With the glut of Israeli surplus FN Hi-Powers on the market, I would have a hard time paying money for an FEG.

I seen some of these on line but they looked like they had been run over by a tank.

Anyone know where some nicer ones are for sale?

Dink
Originally Posted by okie john

Thanks.

I have been reading there for a few days.

Dink
Posted By: JOG Re: Hi Powers and clones - 12/05/16
Given your failures with the 1911, Hi-Powers are out of your league.
Originally Posted by DINK

I seen some of these on line but they looked like they had been run over by a tank.

Dink

I bought mine from Mach 1 Arsenal on Gunbroker...I looked at every single one they had, as well as the ones Copes and AIM had, and chose this one. It arrived in very good shape, typical Hi Power Epoxy finish, etc...

I would post pics, but its at the Smith's getting refurbed.

Dink
I bought mine from Mach 1 Arsenal on Gunbroker...I looked at every single one they had, as well as the ones Copes and AIM had, and chose this one. It arrived in very good shape, typical Hi Power Epoxy finish, etc...

Without pictures it never happened. grin
Originally Posted by JOG
Given your failures with the 1911, Hi-Powers are out of your league.

Lol....if you shot more than three fifty round boxes of ammo a year you might have a different opinion too.

Get back to me when you start buying bullets, primers and casings 10,000 or more at a time.

Dink

Dink

Thank you.

Dink
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Without pictures it never happened. grin

Soon, I hope...Its getting Cerakoted, and a set of Heinies cut into it.
The Browning HP (P-35) has been around for 80+ years. Up until the Glock revolution of the mid-1980's, it warranted serious consideration as a fighting pistol. It is elegant in appearance, fits most hands well, has a high capacity and is readily concealable.

The P-35 also has a lousy trigger, a ridiculous magazine safety, an indistinct and difficult to use thumb safety as well as (in early models), erratic reliability with HP ammunition. The Belgian made pistols were not suitable for extended use with NATO spec, +P or +P+ ammunition. In short, it is a classic pistol whose ship has sailed. This does not mean that it is not fun to take to the range, providing you are willing to live within it's limitations.

The CZ-75 possesses many of the qualities of the P-35 and is basically "ready to go" right out of the box.

Posted By: FreeMe Re: Hi Powers and clones - 12/07/16
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
The P-35 also has a lousy trigger, a ridiculous magazine safety, an indistinct and difficult to use thumb safety as well as (in early models), erratic reliability with HP ammunition. The Belgian made pistols were not suitable for extended use with NATO spec, +P or +P+ ammunition...

The trigger is easily fixed, and disabling the mag safety (also easy) is often part of the fix. The safety is easily upgraded to work as well as a 1911 safety (C&S part swap). The problem with HP ammo was only with the early version with the humped barrel ramp (again, easily fixed). NATO spec? Who cares?

...In short, it is a classic pistol whose ship has sailed.....

Preach it, brother! Might help bring the prices down so I can get another. smile
Free me:

If the pistol is intended for self defense, disabling the magazine safety and doing a trigger job along with replacing parts of the trigger mechanism may enable an aggressive prosecutor to turn a self defense shooting into a manslaughter case. Massad Ayoob was a defense expert in just such a case several years ago. The prosecutor's theory was that removal of a safety device (magazine disconnector in a P-35) was proof that the shooter acted in a reckless and negligent manner. I kid you not. Ask Mas if you want verification of this. That's why he advocates "box stock" pistols for self defense.

Do what you want and carry what you will. Just be aware of the potential consequences.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Hi Powers and clones - 12/07/16
Free me:

If the pistol is intended for self defense, disabling the magazine safety and doing a trigger job along with replacing parts of the trigger mechanism may enable an aggressive prosecutor to turn a self defense shooting into a manslaughter case. Massad Ayoob was a defense expert in just such a case several years ago. The prosecutor's theory was that removal of a safety device was proof that the shooter acted in a reckless and negligent manner. I kid you not. Ask Mas if you want verification of this. That's why he advocates "box stock" pistols for self defense.

Do what you want and carry what you will. Just be aware of the potential consequences.

This thing again.....

I have read all of Ayoob's comments that I am aware of on this. Bottom line is, if it's a good shoot, the worst is added cost to the defense. What I gather from his writings is that all of those things are defendable in court and rarely come up. What he stresses more is the use of factory ammo, to aid in accurate forensic evaluation. The rest is just a matter of debunking specious claims.

Of course, if I lived in a leftist community (fat chance) I'd be more concerned about it.

Free me:

If the pistol is intended for self defense, disabling the magazine safety and doing a trigger job along with replacing parts of the trigger mechanism may enable an aggressive prosecutor to turn a self defense shooting into a manslaughter case.
Can't happen if you own the shooting. In other words, so long as you don't say it was an accident, no factor connected to a possible unintentional firing of the gun is admissible in court. If you say you only intended to hold the gun on the person, and it "went off," however, then any mods will be relevant and admissible against you. Otherwise, not.

This is connected to the legal requirement that admitted evidence be relevant, i.e., either having a tendency to inculpate or exculpate if true. If you never claimed it was an accidental shooting, then evidence of the tendency of the gun to be fired accidentally cannot be admitted since it has no bearing on an issue at controversy.
Hawkeye & Free Me"

OK. You win. I give up.

The working definition of admissible evidence is whatever the judge decides to let in.

My suggestion is to never get into a situation where you have to test the validity of your theory.
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: Hi Powers and clones - 12/07/16
I own several Charles Daly HP pistols. I've bought them each for $400. If the original owner hasn't already have a gunsmith remove the magazine disconnect safety and do a light trigger job. Then you'll have a good pistol at a very reasonable cost
Hawkeye & Free Me"

OK. You win. I give up.

The working definition of admissible evidence is whatever the judge decides to let in.

My suggestion is to never get into a situation where you have to test the validity of your theory.
Subject to appeal if the judge decides to disregard evidentiary law.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Hi Powers and clones - 12/07/16

^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

It's not theory. It's the rules of evidence.
Posted By: night_owl Re: Hi Powers and clones - 12/07/16
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

It's not theory. It's the rules of evidence.

I think gun mods could come in as evidence in a homicide trial.
I also wouldn't worry about being prosecuted (or being convicted of a crime) over a trigger job.

Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: Hi Powers and clones - 12/07/16
Free me:

If the pistol is intended for self defense, disabling the magazine safety and doing a trigger job along with replacing parts of the trigger mechanism may enable an aggressive prosecutor to turn a self defense shooting into a manslaughter case. Massad Ayoob was a defense expert in just such a case several years ago. The prosecutor's theory was that removal of a safety device (magazine disconnector in a P-35) was proof that the shooter acted in a reckless and negligent manner. I kid you not. Ask Mas if you want verification of this. That's why he advocates "box stock" pistols for self defense.

According to Mas Ayoob. And I'm not saying he's wrong. He's been an expert witness.

Following that logic go buy any stock Beretta 92FS. As a service pistol for the military and many police departments no prosecutor or attorney suing you can make hay over that choice of pistols.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Hi Powers and clones - 12/07/16
Free me:

Bull. Schit.
The "an aggressive prosecutor" red herring sells magazines and drives internet hysteria. An "aggressive prosecutor" can push firing more than once with a S&W "lemon squeezer" (seen it happen). Pushing it means jack schit if your defense is worthwhile, and in the end that is all that matters. Carry what works for you.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Hi Powers and clones - 12/07/16
A good shoot is a good shoot, and a bad one is a bad one...and unless negligence comes into play, or the malfunction of the gun is claimed as a defense, gun modifications are irrelevant.
Posted By: RGK Re: Hi Powers and clones - 12/07/16
I have a soft spot for Hi Powers, especially the T-series. I'm down to these 2 now, both made in '67. The parkerized one is my shooter. It's an Israeli surplus pistol that I had reparked. A great shooter that responded well to a mag safety removal and a little work on the rear sight notch.

The other one is unfired, with pouch and manual.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Hi Powers and clones - 12/07/16
A good shoot is a good shoot, and a bad one is a bad one...and unless negligence comes into play, or the malfunction of the gun is claimed as a defense, gun modifications are irrelevant.

Agreed, in a criminal case, not so much in a civil.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

In Florida, civil suit is blocked if you are acquitted, or not charged, due to lawful self-defense.

In many states, civil suits are barred by criminal acquittal. Not all, but certainly a good majority of those that actually permit the human right of self defense.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Hi Powers and clones - 12/07/16
Originally Posted by 4ager
The "an aggressive prosecutor" red herring sells magazines and drives internet hysteria. An "aggressive prosecutor" can push firing more than once with a S&W "lemon squeezer" (seen it happen). Pushing it means jack schit if your defense is worthwhile, and in the end that is all that matters. Carry what works for you.

The fact that our current legal systems under Chairman O's blessings draw justified self defense cases out and drain the wallet of law abiding citizens simply defending themselves is gross hypocrisy.

If some scumbag is trying to kill you and you kill him first via a tuned handgun with a good trigger that you have practiced many hours with for just that unfortunate life threatening occurrence shouldn't be held up as evidence against you.

Meanwhile, the murder meter keeps running in Chicago, Baltimore, NY, LA, Miami. And the beat goes on..
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Hi Powers and clones - 12/08/16

In many states, civil suits are barred by criminal acquittal. Not all, but certainly a good majority of those that actually permit the human right of self defense.

And?

Who the fuc*k said there HAD to be a criminal case?

If it's a 'Good Shoot', there will be no charges. You can't have an acquittal without being charged.

Savvy

And?

If it's a 'Good Shoot', there will be no charges. You can't have an acquittal without being charged.

Savvy
Like I said, in some of the civil immunity states, a determination not to prosecute is as good as an acquittal. Florida is one of those states. They all should be.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Hi Powers and clones - 12/08/16

And?

Savvy

Wrong. There can be charges even with a good shoot. That's often the case. That is by definition the result of an acquittal by reason of self-defense or justifiable homicide. Savvy?
Posted By: irfubar Re: Hi Powers and clones - 12/08/16
I purchased my Browning from Buds guns as a surplus gun.
It cost me $350 shipped.

The finish was fair, a quick sandblast and Ceracote made it look good as new.

Also disconnected the magazine safety and installed a cylinder&slide extended safety.

Also installed Spegel grips

Next I plan to have Novack sights installed.

Great gun for a modest investment.

Never owned an FEG so no idea how they compare.

Gun Geek (Kevin) knows these guns well you may send him a P.M. he is usually helpful.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire