Home
I know a variety of game has fallen to them.

Share your stories/results - gun and ammo used, distance and shot placement, etc.
A lot of small game and varmints, mostly with the Lyman 147 grain cast bullet. [Linked Image]
A couple years ago while checking my feeders, spotted this little buck and killed him with one shot through the lungs with my Hi-Power and 135 gr. Federal Hydra-shoks.
[Linked Image]

Nice deer and Hi-Power. Yes, seems Bob Milek back in his day as a gun writer wrote about various handgun hunting and the HP was one of them for small game and varmints, no doubt proper ammo and shot placement they can do bigger jobs when properly executed, no pun smile
Bluejays, 15-20 of them. The damn things were so thick where we lived that Bluebirds, Cardinals couldn't get near the feeders. Damn Jays would run them off. I had an upset young wife, an Argentine HiPower and a pile of 115 grain Silvertips. Amazingly, the Argie shot them exactly to the sights at 25-30 yards.

I am not a big 9mm fan but I am here to testify that the 115 Silvertip is one hell of a Bluejay load.
Did they penetrate or over expand. Lol
After an evening of feasting on venison steaks at my neighbor's house one evening, I found myself walking in a clearing leading to my tipi on a particularly dark night. As I am wont to do, I do not use a flashlight at night in the woods - prefering to be a part of the woods instead of an alien invader.

I noticed movement on the ground not more than 5 feet in front of me and immediately felt alarmed because I thought it was a bear cub. While unholstering, I was wondering if a mommy bear was nearby. I noticed that it was moving very clumsily and slowly though, not very agile. I squinted to get more focus and realized it was a fairly large porcupine.

The dogs seem to habitually get snouts full of quills by me so there are standing orders to dispatch the things. I pretty much hit it with 2 or 3 shots (don't remember exactly how many) at handshaking distance.

The gun is S&W 547 with (iirc) 124gr JHP's over 3.8gr of Unique doing 830fps.

[Linked Image]

I pretty much just usually toss them in some thorny bush and this one was no different. A couple of months ago however, I finally ate one and it was danged good! The limbs and liver were indistinguishable from beef in my little curry stew and with onions smile

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by viking
Did they penetrate or over expand. Lol

Both, usually with blue feathers wafting down like maple leaves.
a cat is the only thing I have killed with a 9MM. Took only one Federal HydraShock. smile
Sagerats, jackrabbits, HiPower or Kahr k9, 115gr HP. Haven't tried on anything bigger. Usually packing something more potent in the wild.
My 9 is a Glock.. I have shot a couple jacks with Blackhills 115 gr. hollow points.. Not bad..
Just one critter; a small whitetail buck 5 years ago last month. After "incapacitating" him with my 12 ga. 870 slug gun, he needed a close range finisher. So I used the 9mm German Luger my late uncle Marty brought home from Germany in 1945. It was in tribute to his memory as he thought his old Luger would be neat for something like dispatching wounded deer. He passed in 2001, I got it in 2002 and it was 2011 before I was standing over a deer that wasn't dead yet. One of my most memorable hunting memories will always be standing over that deer with his Luger, looking up at the cold, grey, sky and saying; "Thanks Marty, I know you'd get a kick out of this". Then putting a couple rounds of 124 gr. NATO spec 9mm FMJ into the back of the head/neck area from almost powder burn range. In NY state you could legally actually deer hunt with a 9mm handgun but I'm usually not within what I consider 9mm range but for finshing things up at close range it's great. I only wish my uncle were still around to see the pictures I took with the 870 and the Luger on the deceased deer. The gun's not exactly mint but it functions well. He used to shoot rats with it in old dump in the early 1950's and now it finally got put into service as a deer dispatcher. He woulda' loved it!
Shot several 'coons with 124gr fmj and 147 hp's and had miserable results. Had to shoot one FIVE times with 2-3 hits being in the chest. The damage/effect was less than impressive with either bullet.

Finally tried some 102gr Gold Dots with a fairly stiff load of Blue Dot (per someone here on the "fire). Killed the Hell outa' stuff.
Good stuff, that "Pine" probably tasted better being taken with a handgun smile

I shot a P-08 a guy had inherited from his father, when I was back in college. Seems he had it refinished and it looked like new. I was enamored with those old Lugers, it seemed to shoot very well as I recall. The HP's always fit my hand like a glove.

Thinking an HP or a say Springfield EMP4 would both make solid small game and varmint takers with good loads. I would pop a deer at close range with the best loads, thinking one that will penetrate and expand, put thru lungs up close, but as above there are no doubt better rounds to use when after larger than say coyote sized game.

No doubt a 9 will never be a 10, or even 40 for that matter, but on stats on 2-legged vermin, the 9 seems to make a decent showing with the best loads. One member here I know took a Mountain Lion with his, a Smith 39 or similar IIRC.
I shot a whitetail doe at about 25' from a tree stand with Winchester/Olin Black Talon ammo. The bullet went through/through on a downward angle through both lungs and out through the belly. It worked fine, acting about like an arrow, drilling a thumb-size hole through the lungs and the offside belly, leaving a heavy blood trail. I never did it again.
How far did he travel? Neck or spine would have been great on that shot, but they move their heads quick and the locktime, etc. is not likely as fast as a bolt rifle. And I hate losing backstrap. That load would correlate with a PDX1 which is rated well. What handgun were you using?
The problem with anecdotes is they are just that, a small number of unique experiences. Everything I ever shot with a 9 was initially less than impressed with my choice of armament. Groundhogs and armadillos running off doesn't inspire confidence, especially when armed with the super load of the day, the for-Bon 115 gr jhp. In contrast, everything I ever shot with a .45 was lights out. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean the 9 sucks and the .45 is great. With such a small sample size, minute differences in placement can mean a great deal. That being said, I still like the .45 better.
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
Shot several 'coons with 124gr fmj and 147 hp's and had miserable results. Had to shoot one FIVE times with 2-3 hits being in the chest. The damage/effect was less than impressive with either bullet.

Finally tried some 102gr Gold Dots with a fairly stiff load of Blue Dot (per someone here on the "fire). Killed the Hell outa' stuff.

Coons will challenge any handgun just about. I've shot deer, javalina, and coyotes with a 9mm. All with XTPs 124s or 147s or GD124s. Nothing terribly eventful, nothing ran over 75 yards. I have absolutely no problem hunting a whitetail with a 9mm. I've kept my shots off the shoulder. Not a very powerful cartridge, I get the impression it's not even close my 3" 357 regardless of the ballistics.
K1500, since they ran off I don't suppose you know where they were hit? I would think an HST or Gold Dot would do a decent job on critters up to small deer.

Smallfry, yes the little 9 is less than a 357 Mag, but it seems it's capable when placed well. Any comparisons you have seen in those 3 bullets you mention? Penetration and/or expansion, and effectiveness? Handloads or factory? I've wondered about the XTP in the 9.

Seems the GD, HST and maybe the PDX1 are often preferred for SD carry, but the target may vary in what needs to be done for a good outcome.
rabbits
Originally Posted by 65BR
K1500, since they ran off I don't suppose you know where they were hit? I would think an HST or Gold Dot would do a decent job on critters up to small deer.

Smallfry, yes the little 9 is less than a 357 Mag, but it seems it's capable when placed well. Any comparisons you have seen in those 3 bullets you mention? Penetration and/or expansion, and effectiveness? Handloads or factory? I've wondered about the XTP in the 9.

Seems the GD, HST and maybe the PDX1 are often preferred for SD carry, but the target may vary in what needs to be done for a good outcome.

That's just it, there is no way to know. I've shot the same critters with a .22 that was lights out so clearly the 9 is up to the task, I've just had poor luck (or poor skill) with it.
65BR,
I they were all factory loads albeit some were hot Underwood loads the rest were lawman Speer. I love both XTPs and gold dots. I've shot a lot more coyotes with the 9 than I have deer and javalina and for coyotes I prefer the 124 gold dot or the 147, especially in +p. A 147 +p gold dot really opens up. On deer I've shot 124 standard gold dots, +p, 124 XTP and one with a a 147 XTP. It's really hard to make sense out of penetration unless something becomes a big deal like the entire half of the bullet expands, turns on its side then limits the penetration. I think XTP penetrate more, can't prove it yet on deer because the far side skin takes so much out of a bullet. The XTP expands more consistently and smaller though. On deer I've used the 45, 40, 9mm in autos and I'll be damn if I can see much of a diff in penetration when defensive ammo was used. I've even had a 45 ACP 230 win jhp fail to expand but penetrate only 13", conversely I've shot a hard cast slug from a 45 ACP through 3' of deer. Go figure. Though the base of the win was dented up so I guess it tumbled.

This year I was still hunting on the ground for a freezer doe. I got up to stretch after sitting too long and right behind me were 2 Doe's at 12 yards lol! I drew my G19 but they were only going to stare for so long and bounded off! I had 147 GD +p's

I've taken smallish wild pigs, while the 9mm worked, I was not that impressed.
Originally Posted by jwp475

That's valuable information. Did you do the same with .40 S&W and .45 ACP. Your views on the comparison would be even more valuable.
I killed a mouse with an airsoft 1911 we keep here for the grandkids. It went through his ribs, right behind the shoulder, but you could still see that the little green BB winking at you through the entrance hole. Not only was it a One Shot Stop!!! it sailed his little ass off the top step and halfway down the stairs.

Just goes to show Placement is King wink
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I killed a mouse with an airsoft 1911 we keep here for the grandkids. It went through his ribs, right behind the shoulder, but you could still see that the little green BB winking at you through the entrance hole. Not only was it a One Shot Stop!!! it sailed his little ass off the top step and halfway down the stairs.

Just goes to show Placement is King wink
That little BB was like grapeshot in proportion to that little mouse.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by jwp475

That's valuable information. Did you do the same with .40 S&W and .45 ACP. Your views on the comparison would be even more valuable.

I've used the 45 ACP, 45 ACP +P and 45 Super. The 45 ACP +P is where it starts to get interesting and the Super is more of the same in my experience. The higher magazine capacity of the 9mm is its advantage IMHO.
rattlesnakes, and a porcupine

finishing shot on an antelope doe...didn't want to ruin any meat and was too close for the rifle
Good stuff everyone. Small fry I can see where if the XTP expands less they go deeper. And inversely for other SD ammo that opens wider limiting penetration.

No doubt bullet selection is more crucial with smaller rounds which can more level the playing field perhaps. At least on game thru coyotes and deer. Anything larger would make you want a larger round for sure.
Not a handgun but my Spanish Destroyer in 9mm Largo has taken several groundhogs. The 115 Hornady XTP gives them a serious hurtin' out to at least 100 yards.
I haven't killed anything with a handgun in years, but I used them off and on when I was younger. I used a Browning Hi-Power in 9mm opportunistically to take quite a few javelina back when I used to take a few each year for a wild game dinner sponsored by the student chapter of TWS at the university where I did my graduate work.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Bull snake?? I always heard they killed rattle snakes.. Don't know just what I heard..
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Bull snake?? I always heard they killed rattle snakes.. Don't know just what I heard..

They are DEADLY as far as I am concerned!

I have about had a heart attack a couple times when I dang near stepped on one!

This is me and snakes:

[Linked Image]
My grandfather was that way.. Just wondered!!
Lol, I can see how almost stepping on one in rattler country might be unsettling smile

Looks like someone eats a fairly steady diet of rabbit stew!

Nice work.
Feral Cats
Skunks
Groundhogs
various and sundry serpents
Terrapins
crow
fox squirrel
jack rabbit
cotton tail
Only a 22lb three quarter thawed freezer burnt turkey, I was testing some 115 gr Barnes 9mm carry loads, upon autopsy of the turkey, I have no doubt that load would kill a deer or pig inside 40 yards if I could place the shot in the vitals.
that snake doesn't have enough holes in it.
looking at that bull snake reminds me of a roommate i had in a dorm at college. We thought it would be funny to put a live one in his pillow. He was okay until he came in, laid down, and the pillow started moving. Still won't talk to me.
Originally Posted by smallfry
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar

Coons will challenge any handgun just about. I've shot deer, javalina, and coyotes with a 9mm. All with XTPs 124s or 147s or GD124s. Nothing terribly eventful, nothing ran over 75 yards. I have absolutely no problem hunting a whitetail with a 9mm. I've kept my shots off the shoulder. Not a very powerful cartridge, I get the impression it's not even close my 3" 357 regardless of the ballistics.

Yeah, coons are TOUGH. When I was heading off to the Army, way back when, I bought a 4 5/8" convertible Blackhawk in .45 Colt/.45ACP. On a trip to my cousin's, before leaving, we heard his dog baying "treed" and grabbed some guns. My cousin grabbed a Nylon 66, I grabbed my Blackhawk, and a buddy had a .45 Commander.
The dog (a St. Bernard!!!) had treed a coon, and we put the light on him, and I let rip with a couple WW Lubaloy factory loads, my buddy let loose with his Commander, and the coon never let go of that limb.
Later, my cousin climbed the tree and kicked the dead coon out of it, and when he skinned it, found my .45 Lubaloy bullet expanded to the size of my thumb, and two hardball slugs, too. That coon died, but never let go of his grip on that limb.

With a dog the size of that St. Bernard waiting for him, I don't blame him a bit.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
looking at that bull snake reminds me of a roommate i had in a dorm at college. We thought it would be funny to put a live one in his pillow. He was okay until he came in, laid down, and the pillow started moving. Still won't talk to me.

I was at a sniper school one time and a friend had told an acquaintance who did not know me well, that I seriously did not like snakes.

The guy found a bull snake and thought it would be funny to sneak up behind me, and when I turned around, have it in my face.

I was carrying my suppressed Ruger .22 with me and I immediately pointed it at his face, flipped the safety off, put my finger on the trigger, and told him if he threw that snake at me I would kill him.

Our mutual friend told him to back off, and stated something to the effect that "He's not kidding, he will kill you if you throw that snake at him."

There were a number of people watching this, and nobody said a word. The guy with the snake backed off and took the snake away.

Lucky for both of us that it ended the way it did.
One of my dads friends shot a red fox with a Colt 380 during a deer driver. This guy was quite the handgun shot and practiced a few times a week.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

I was at a sniper school one time and a friend had told an acquaintance who did not know me well, that I seriously did not like snakes.

The guy found a bull snake and thought it would be funny to sneak up behind me, and when I turned around, have it in my face.

I was carrying my suppressed Ruger .22 with me and I immediately pointed it at his face, flipped the safety off, put my finger on the trigger, and told him if he threw that snake at me I would kill him.

Our mutual friend told him to back off, and stated something to the effect that "He's not kidding, he will kill you if you throw that snake at him."

There were a number of people watching this, and nobody said a word. The guy with the snake backed off and took the snake away.

Lucky for both of us that it ended the way it did.

Guess his survival instincts were working for him that day, Mac. grin
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Guess his survival instincts were working for him that day, Mac. grin

smile

I actually expected to get some grief about the incident from my chain of command, but due to a couple factors that I won't discuss here, not a word was said to me about it, and I think it was easier for everyone to pretend nothing happened, than have the an internal investigation take place.

I am pretty laid back in person, but throwing a snake on me will flip that switch. wink
© 24hourcampfire