Home
Posted By: GunGeek Your most enjoyable handgun? - 01/26/17
Many of us have handguns for various practical and impractical reasons. But of your handguns, which one is the one (or two) that you just enjoy shooting more than any other?

When I go shooting, you can guarantee that I'll have my S&W 617 going with me, and at least a 90% chance the .38 Super is going too.

For me:

Revolver: S&W 617 .22LR K-22

Semi-Auto: Colt 1991 Government in .38 Super

This is the only photo I have with both in the same shot.
[Linked Image]
I enjoy shooting the classics, but I have to say I get more satisfaction shooting what I carry, which at this time is a Glock 17.
I always take my Ruger MK II. However the G17 or 21 is GTG.
I really like shooting my Dan Wesson Guardian. The Ruger MK III gets shot the most. I need to get another high capacity 9mm one of these days...
Ruger Vaquero, 45 Colt.
1. Springfield Armory 1911 Trophy Match .45acp
2. Sig P226 (West German)
3. Ruger Single Six, .22 LR/.22 Mag.
Buckmark with a suppressor.

It makes me want to FM.

Dave
For the last few weeks it has been my new Ruger GP100 .44 Special. This little 3" is just flat fun to shoot.
Originally Posted by deflave
Buckmark with a suppressor.

It makes me want to FM.

Dave
Suppressed .22 semi-auto's are highly addictive.
Posted By: RGK Re: Your most enjoyable handgun? - 01/26/17
Both of these are fun and easy to shoot well. Bottom .38 was a favorite off-duty gun for awhile.
Bob

[Linked Image]
I enjoy my XD 40 a lot.

I also enjoy the graphics out of ahooting my ruger full size 1911, and my kimber pro carry.
Considering how many rounds I've put through it and how long I've had it, guess it would be my SRH 480

[Linked Image]

And no, the boy wasn't shooting full power loads.
[Linked Image]

S&W M624 with ivory micarta grips. From light loads to heavy; from the pistol range to the open range, it is my most enjoyable carry revolver--and revolvers are my most enjoyable guns.
Originally Posted by Oregon45
[Linked Image]

S&W M624 with ivory micarta grips. From light loads to heavy; from the pistol range to the open range, it is my most enjoyable carry revolver--and revolvers are my most enjoyable guns.
With the micarta and T-Grip, that 624 looks FANTASTIC!!!
Nice Roscoe dood!!!
Opposite ends of the spectrum for me , either a Ruger 22/45 or one of my Super Blackhawks.
Turnbull commander 1911
Love shooting my Colt XSE Govt 45 acp. Hate pick up brass and losing some frown

Ruger GP100 4" shooting mostly 38specials
Tied for first place:
  • Ruger Super Blackhawk
  • CZ 75B in 40 S&W
Colt Woodsman Match Target Third Series with six inch barrel.
This Colt custom .38 Super is so much fun to shoot. I got soooo lucky when I found this one.

[Linked Image]

My favorite, that I just purchased last June, is my Ruger SR22. I've already shot it more, than all my other handguns, put together.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Fireball2
This Colt custom .38 Super is so much fun to shoot. I got soooo lucky when I found this one.

[Linked Image]

You've posted that gun several times and I really like it. It's a mix of old school and new, and the whole thing just works. I could have fun with something like that!!
Posted By: RGK Re: Your most enjoyable handgun? - 01/27/17
Shooting my old M41 again (the left one) in the new .22 NRA distinguished match. Mucho fun with an old friend.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Nelson Custom .22 conversion on a customized Colt Delta Elite lower. With or without the can, it is a ton of fun.

[Linked Image]

Of course, tomorrow it could be something else.

Paul
'Nother vote for the Ruger SR22.

This is the funnest 22 Pistol I've ever owned!

Virgil B.
Originally Posted by RGK
Shooting my old M41 again (the left one) in the new .22 NRA distinguished match. Mucho fun with an old friend.
Bob

[Linked Image]
One of the very few things I miss about CA was the indoor bullseye league we had in Sacramento at the old city police range. Fell in love with the S&W 41/46 back in those days. I shot a K-22 just because I wanted to shoot a revolver. I typically fell middle of the pack. But as well made as my K-22 was, it just wasn't competitive against the best auto's. One day I shot a group with my K-22, and then followed it with 10 rounds from a friends S&W 46 and the 46 came very close to cutting my groups in half!

Had I remained in CA, I would have bought a S&W 41 at some point.
[Linked Image]

May I ask who was the mfr of those grips? I like the color and grain. Thank you!
Probably my Les Baer. If I miss, it ain't the gun's fault. If I hit, it wasn't luck. smile
Originally Posted by RickyD
[Linked Image]

May I ask who was the mfr of those grips? I like the color and grain. Thank you!

I had them custom made by John Culina, http://culinagrips.com I sent John the ivory micarta material; I bought it from Sheffield's Knifemaking supply.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RickyD
[Linked Image]

I had them custom made by John Culina, http://culinagrips.com I sent John the ivory micarta material; I bought it from Sheffield's Knifemaking supply.
Quite the project! They are beautiful!
Originally Posted by Steelhead
[Linked Image]

That doesn't look fun at all... crazy
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Many of us have handguns for various practical and impractical reasons. But of your handguns, which one is the one (or two) that you just enjoy shooting more than any other?

When I go shooting, you can guarantee that I'll have my S&W 617 going with me, and at least a 90% chance the .38 Super is going too.

For me:

[Linked Image]

Where's the S&W 1911? Does this mean it's not fun?
These days it's a plain jane Ruger Blackhawk .357 with 6 1/2" barrel for plinking at the 12" 100 yard gong. Alongside is a Ruger Mk III slabside Target for pinging a little 4" or 6" disc at 50 yards.

Growing up in pancake flat S. Florida handguns were my major form of shooting, but because the eyes have aged and Idaho offers an occasional safe backstop here and there centerfire rifles are mostly all I shoot these days. Two .357 revolvers are all that is left for fun shooting out of a plethora of handguns in a gamut of calibers; those and a couple of .22 semi-autos and some "serious" self-defense weapons in 9mm and .45 ACP.
GunGeek: Many years ago I bought myself a duty gun to carry in rainy old Seattle. It is a Smith & Wesson Model 66 with a 6" barrel.
I applied for and received permission to carry this non-standard issue revolver.
I sighted it in and immediately noticed I could shoot it better than my department issued 4" Model 66 Smith & Wesson.
But the 6" Model 66 was heavy, long and hard sit comfortably with in a squad car.
I went back to the 4" Model 66 but kept the 6" Model 66 to qualify with and for recreation uses off duty.
I qualified "Distinguished Expert" many times with that 6" Model 66 something I only did once with the 4" pistol.
I use the 6" Model 66 a lot for small game, Varmint and Grouse Hunting along with it being my go to pistol for teaching young folks and adults who are unfamiliar with guns the basics of shooting.
In fact the oldest VarmintSon is bring his VarmintFiance out to Montana next month and she has never fired a gun of any type and requested we do so when they get here.
I have quite a stash of very accurate 38 wad-cutters for her to shoot up and a bunch of orange clay pigeons for "reactive" targets.
Yeah the 6" Model 66 is never far from me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
This week, Uberti 45 Colt.
Next week? who knows

[Linked Image]
Colt Mark V Trooper, 357 Mag, unfired when I got it but now has 12 rounds thru it. The blueing is spectacular.
I only have three now, the non favourite have been sold. I have a ruger single six, my first ever handgun I worked for and bought new around 1964. It has bee with me damned near half way around the world. It has a brass Super Blackhawk frame, hammer and trigger.

My 1911 lives on my hip every day,

My newest to a Blackhawk in 45 Colt. It is my woods carry and I love it.

All three will be with me or in my safe when I die.
Depending on the day, one of these Smith .22s:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Daaaang. A Grock wif a safety and a Poly-Choke!
Posted By: Owl Re: Your most enjoyable handgun? - 01/27/17
Colt King Cobra, .357 mag, 6" heavy barrel in Stainless.

Click here for picture-------------> XXX

First introduced in 1986, the Colt King Cobra is a medium-sized ā€œVā€-framed, double-action revolver featuring a six round cylinder chambered for the .357 Magnum round. The King Cobra design is based upon the earlier Colt Trooper MK V model, with an improved heavy-duty barrel and a thicker, solid rib on top of the barrel. The King Cobra's sighting system consisted of a fixed red front sight insert and an adjustable white rear sight. From its launch until production ceased in 1998, the King Cobra was offered in various barrel lengths, grip types and finishes. The gun was primarily marketed to law enforcement agencies and civilian firearm enthusiasts.
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

[Linked Image]

Very nice!
Originally Posted by Owl
Colt King Cobra, .357 mag, 6" heavy barrel in Stainless.

Click here for picture-------------> XXX

First introduced in 1986, the Colt King Cobra is a medium-sized ā€œVā€-framed, double-action revolver featuring a six round cylinder chambered for the .357 Magnum round. The King Cobra design is based upon the earlier Colt Trooper MK V model, with an improved heavy-duty barrel and a thicker, solid rib on top of the barrel. The King Cobra's sighting system consisted of a fixed red front sight insert and an adjustable white rear sight. From its launch until production ceased in 1998, the King Cobra was offered in various barrel lengths, grip types and finishes. The gun was primarily marketed to law enforcement agencies and civilian firearm enthusiasts.

I had a 4 inch model, but now have the 6 inch NRA Edition. If you want to see a pic., pm me.
S&W Model 15
For fun, the richards conversion

[Linked Image]
For sheer fun (since arthritis started in on my hands) my 4.5" SR-22 has to be the winner.
Originally Posted by watch4bear
For fun, the richards conversion

[Linked Image]

Who makes that?

They have an Uberti that shoots .38 Special here locally and I sort of want one.

Travis
Originally Posted by shootem
[Linked Image]

Daaaang. A Grock wif a safety and a Poly-Choke!

Also available for the children.

Lastly, suppressed, for the dorky adults, who never grew up, and never had a date.
Hands down, my MKIII Hunter with VQ guts and Fastfire sight. It's my "can't miss" pistol.
Which ever one I happen to be shooting. That's like asking me my favorite grand kid. Hasbeen
Posted By: RGK Re: Your most enjoyable handgun? - 01/28/17
Been having a lot of fun with this one lately.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Definitely this New Vaquero 45 Colt, post-trigger work and about halfway down the road to Colt-izing.

[Linked Image]
A K frame Smith and most days this 66 with +p 38s

Fun clanging steel past 150 yards...

[Linked Image]
My favorite fun gun has to be the single seven. Power choices from 22 mag equivalent up to 38 +P.

Shooting is ten times as much fun when it is shared with kids. If the grandkids have the strength to hold the revolver in the firing position, they can handle the recoil.
I am a revolver guy so My favorite fun to shoot handguns are My Smith 627 Pro and My Smith 617 6" 10 shot...........Hb
1955 Smith & Wesson 5" Pre-27 357 Magnum

[Linked Image]

This target at 100 yards

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RGK Re: Your most enjoyable handgun? - 01/28/17
A nice old pre-27 5" with a Tyler T is a beautiful thing.
Bob
Originally Posted by RGK
A nice old pre-27 5" with a Tyler T is a beautiful thing.
Bob
Man, you said it!!! That's one classy revolver right there.
Originally Posted by jwp475

For me:

[Linked Image]

Where's the S&W 1911? Does this mean it's not fun?

My S&W is in that photo, it's the Commander with the CTC grips. And yes it's a fun gun to shoot, but it's not among my "most enjoyable" to shoot.

It certainly is my daughter's favorite, and because it's her favorite I've been shopping around for a replacement for it as my primary carry gun because she has laid claim to my LW Commander for when she goes away to college (and I could never say no to my lil girl).

For pure fun, no handgun even comes close to my 617, I'd rather shot it than pretty much any other. When it comes to centerfire my .38 Super has them all beat. Super accurate, fantastic trigger, flat shooting out past 150 yards, but still retains the classic 1911 lines.
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
S&W Model 15
I'm a HUGE fan of the M15 "Combat Masterpiece"! Light weight, beautifully finished, superbly balanced, and wicked accurate. As a .38 Special combat revolver it is exceptionally well designed. As a target revolver, well it's a compromise, but if the shooter is feeling up to it, the model 15 will hold it's own in any bullseye match.

And to my eye at least, it's one of the best looking revolvers S&W has ever made. My dream has always been to have a 3 revolver set, the 15, 16, and 18, all Combat Masterpieces (the model 16 Combat Masterpiece is a very rare revolver). They made all 3 almost exactly alike with the only difference being the cartridge they fired, 15 in .38 Special, 16 in .32 Long, and 18 in .22lr; and the other difference was the width of the rib on the barrel. By varying the rib thickness, they were able to make the guns almost exactly the same weight, with only about 1oz difference between models.

One of my most memorable revolver matches I ever shot was a mini-PPC course I shot with a borrowed S&W model 15. I took a second place, and I was more proud of that particular 2nd place with a borrowed gun & holster rig, than many 1st places I shot over the years.

The magnificent K frame Combat Masterpiece
[Linked Image]
Lately it's been my new Pardini GT9.
It's great fun to break cinder blocks then shoot till all the pieces are
little pebbles.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Your most enjoyable handgun? - 01/29/17
My 5.7 loads of fun

[Linked Image]
Posted By: toad Re: Your most enjoyable handgun? - 01/29/17
[Linked Image]
I know its NOT my .454 Super Red Hawk. Just saying.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Probably my Les Baer. If I miss, it ain't the gun's fault. If I hit, it wasn't luck. smile

i miss my Les Baur frown
my glock 17.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Your most enjoyable handgun? - 01/30/17
^^^^^^^^ his old Mountain Gun!
i miss that one also
I have a lot of fun with this S&W 60-4 in .38 Special.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
High Standard Bull Barrel Trophy 22lr
Wilson Gov't Model 1911

MM
Posted By: Tope Re: Your most enjoyable handgun? - 01/30/17
Favorite handgun to shoot. Grandpa's Ruger 4 5/8" 41mag.
Favorite to carry in Grizz country. S&W 329PD
Currently the bottom one. A RIA tactical in 40.

[Linked Image]

These days, a Bisley Vaquero with some lovely, very soft shooting loads smile

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
S&W Model 15
I'm a HUGE fan of the M15 "Combat Masterpiece"! Light weight, beautifully finished, superbly balanced, and wicked accurate. As a .38 Special combat revolver it is exceptionally well designed. As a target revolver, well it's a compromise, but if the shooter is feeling up to it, the model 15 will hold it's own in any bullseye match.

And to my eye at least, it's one of the best looking revolvers S&W has ever made. My dream has always been to have a 3 revolver set, the 15, 16, and 18, all Combat Masterpieces (the model 16 Combat Masterpiece is a very rare revolver). They made all 3 almost exactly alike with the only difference being the cartridge they fired, 15 in .38 Special, 16 in .32 Long, and 18 in .22lr; and the other difference was the width of the rib on the barrel. By varying the rib thickness, they were able to make the guns almost exactly the same weight, with only about 1oz difference between models.

One of my most memorable revolver matches I ever shot was a mini-PPC course I shot with a borrowed S&W model 15. I took a second place, and I was more proud of that particular 2nd place with a borrowed gun & holster rig, than many 1st places I shot over the years.

The magnificent K frame Combat Masterpiece
[Linked Image]

That's a beauty.
Nice pistol.

You're not talking about those 300 gr. bullets for mouse loads are you?
I agree with you about developing a nice soft shooting load.
My Bisley BH in 480 is a honey with a mouse load.
My new Ruger LCP II. I recently bought it and a new M&P Shield Performance Center 9mm. I've put a roughly equal # of rounds thru both of them. The Shield has had 3 FTE jams (all with Remington FMJ ammo). The LCP just keeps shooting and groups well. I saw reviews that said the LCP II was "snappy" and unpleasant to shoot for extended range work. I don't find it so. I could shoot it all day long with a smile on my face.
Posted By: 1Nut Re: Your most enjoyable handgun? - 02/01/17
[Linked Image]
My Smith and Wesson 627PC
Can dig. What grips are those on the bottom one?

Originally Posted by supercrewd

[Linked Image]

Posted By: jds44 Re: Your most enjoyable handgun? - 02/02/17
Probably my 5 1/2'' Blackhawk in .45 Colt. It puts a smile on my face every time I pick it up.

[Linked Image]
It is a close tie between the Blackhawk 45 Colt and the Bisley Flat top 44 Special.
My Thompson Center Contender, 14" bull barrel, Leupold M8 2X scope, chambered for the 30 Herrett.
Originally Posted by Martyf
Can dig. What grips are those on the bottom one?

Originally Posted by supercrewd

[Linked Image]

Those are the stock VZ grips.
I have short barrel wheel guns and many auto's that I switch off carrying, but for pleasure shooting I enjoy these old Smiths the most.

[Linked Image]

Right now it is a S&W 624. miles
More rounds through this one than any other over the last 30 plus years. I just passed it down to my son. S&W 29 10 5/8 inch

[Linked Image]
Most enjoyable, SP101 in 32H&Rmag I smile all day long with it.
Favorite, .45Colt Bisley Ruger.
Hard to narrow it down to just two, but:

Ruger 22/45 Lite with a few tweaks (Slingshot/ trigger/ red dot/ etc.)

and

Taurus 1911 aluminum frame/ hard chromed that I seem to hit what I want with.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RJM Re: Your most enjoyable handgun? - 02/04/17
Have been thinking about this post since it was posted...and can't come up with a good answer...

Many people have asked me "what gun do you like shooting the most" and I always have the same answer, "the one in my hand at the time".

If I buy something and don't like it, the gun goes down the road shortly...therefor anything that is left is a "favorite" for whatever purpose it was intended...

So if asked "what is your favorite .22 semi" or "CC handgun" I could tell you...but favorite "handgun" I have to go back to "whatever is in my hand at the time"...

Bob
Posted By: jbmi Re: Your most enjoyable handgun? - 02/04/17
I have a few I enjoy.
I love Colt's so here are the three I really enjoy shooting.
1911GCNM, Diamondback & SAA.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RGK Re: Your most enjoyable handgun? - 02/04/17
Been shooting these lately...it's fun to shoot older service-type weapons and see what you can do without all the stuff that's "needed" now in a defensive pistol. No tall adjustable tritium sights, funneled mag well, ambi extended safeties, accurizing, checkering, etc. Amazing that anyone hit anything (or anyone) back in the day with the old-timers.
Bob

'31 Colt Government
[Linked Image]

Trusted favorite...'67 T series Hi Power
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Walther/Manurhin Austrian Police .32. Superb quality. Concealable, accurate, reliable.
[Linked Image]
My current favorite. 1917 Colt Army. Fun with either 45 ACP or 45 AR.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][/URL]
I had owned this Kimber Pro Carry for years. It always was the pistol I could hit best with and was a joy to shoot. In a fit of unexplained madness, I sold it...I tried to buy it back, but it was a no go.
So I bought a new one, a Pro Carry II and it shoots better than the old one. I still have the bone grips and will be installing them on the new Kimber.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
1955 Smith & Wesson 5" Pre-27 357 Magnum

[Linked Image]

This target at 100 yards

[Linked Image]

The Magnas were sold and replaced with target grips

[Linked Image]

Variety is the spice of life
© 24hourcampfire