Home
In the depths of cabin fever pondering here.....In the future the boy is going to need a revolver. For various reasons, he'll need a double action, not a single and not an auto. My first handgun was a .22, lots of great fun and learning. I've long thought a S&W 63 is exactly what he'll need some day. Two factors give me pause. First, the prices these things have been going for, and secondly I guess we could all agree that cheap easy to find .22 ammo can't be taken for granted. Looking back on my own experience, loading up a hundred .38 plinking loads and carefully shooting them increased my proficiency more than banging away 500 casually purchased .22s. A matter of perspective perhaps. I actually got better with the .22 after I got my first .357.

I'm thinking the Ruger SP101 .357 with adjustable sights and 4" barrel would be great. Various types of ammo are widely available and he likes handloading, so .38s will be fine. No ammo shortage in these parts. It's also much easier to turn a .38 into a .22 than to make a .22 into a .38 when you need more power. And then one day he'll have the option of .357s. What can you men tell me of the little SP101s?

SP101's are excellent revolvers in my experience.
Posted By: RJM Re: Musings on a handgun for a kid - 02/22/17
Well thought out choice... One other caliber to consider for even less expensive shooting since you reload would be the same gun in .327 Federal. It will run everything from .22 Like .32 S&W up to 1400+ fps .327s. Idaho Shooter has one and his kids love it.

Only drawback to the SP101 series is the DA trigger pull is kinda heavy...can be worked on however...

Bob
The SP101 in .327 may be the best trainer revolver ever designed.

Dad would like it a lot, too.
I have one of the older 3" guns like this one...

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SP101-327.htm

Also have a 6.5" FA97 like this one in the followup article...

http://www.gunblast.com/Freedom-Harton327.htm

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/10/ruger-sp101-double-action-revolver-in-327/#axzz4ZPxilL3J

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar168.htm

While we are talking about the .327 in Ruger revolvers - I REALLY hope Ruger finally puts the .327 in the 3" LCRx.
I gave my son a 6" Model 14 and skipped the 22's entirely.

He's a pretty damn good shot.

Dave
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

It is good to see someone in your bloodline has a 6"r.

whistle
Security Six wouldn't be a bad option either.
I did not even know they made, a 4" SP101. That looks like a very solid revolver, and one that would last a lifetime.

Any kid/guy should be quite happy to receive one of those, and I doubt you could ever wear one out running .38s.

Good choice.
I use 4.2" SP101's in .22 and in .357. Great, solid little revolvers. The DA is a little heavy but smooths out quite a bit with use. I'm still a fan of the .22 for a first one...but powder puff 38's in the .357 are a lot of fun too. I don't have any experience with the .327 but it's nice to have it as an option.

The 3" LCRx in .38 might be worth a look as well.
I would opt for a 6" barrel to give a newer shooter more sight radius,ie,easier to shoot.Io would also lean more toward a single action

I like the Security Six much better than the SP models.

Another in between is the Ruger 32 H&R mags in the single action
The .327 got some serious consideration but the decision points for me were having piles of .38 and .357 brass as well as the likelihood of him shooting deer with the gun once he's practiced. Good to hear positive things about the SP101s. I've heard before the DA triggers take some break in. How are they in single action from the start?

I'm thinking I'd best just buy two of the things and be done with it. It would be a shame to be jealous of your own kid's gun. Those fiber optic front sights might have to go however.
Smith 4 inch 617
the SP101 is heavy for what it is, not particularly accurate, the one I had was fixed sights which in a word sucked for woods stuff and in my opinion have a funky trigger. The trigger is for sure funky compared to any smith trigger. I owned one for several years and would never buy one again. I don't know about their strength and all that crap which is what everyone uses to justify their boat anchor weight, but not for me. I would find a used Smith and Wesson Model 66 with a 4 inch barrel your boy will be 10 times better off and a hell of a lot more satisfied with the gun.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
the SP101 is heavy for what it is, not particularly accurate, the one I had was fixed sights which in a word sucked for woods stuff and in my opinion have a funky trigger. The trigger is for sure funky compared to any smith trigger. I owned one for several years and would never buy one again. I don't know about their strength and all that crap which is what everyone uses to justify their boat anchor weight, but not for me. I would find a used Smith and Wesson Model 66 with a 4 inch barrel your boy will be 10 times better off and a hell of a lot more satisfied with the gun.

Weight of a Ruger SP101, 4.2" barrel, .357 - 29.5 oz.

Weight of a Smith & Wesson Model 66, 4.25" barrel, .357 - 36.9 oz.

Which is heavier?

Both have adjustable sights, btw.
the 2 inch barreled .357 magnum I had was heavy for a 5 shot revolver, had no sights the trigger sucked and was in my biased opinion a hell of a lot less of a gun than any smith I have ever owned. Did I mention I did not like it, but I am sure it is a wonderful gun....
Originally Posted by jimmyp
the 2 inch barreled .357 magnum I had was heavy for a 5 shot revolver, had no sights the trigger sucked and was in my biased opinion a hell of a lot less of a gun than any smith I have ever owned. Did I mention I did not like it, but I am sure it is a wonderful gun....

The SP101 357 that i have has a good trigger with no tune and is accurate. I think they are excellent in every way.
The four inch adjustable sight option is a whole different animal from a fixed sight snubby and as 4ager pointed out, I think the weight will be just fine.
My other post on the S&W M10 heavy barrel for $299 comes to mind. I bought each of my kids a M17 for their inheritance. Girls though.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/11804133/S&W_m10_sale#Post11804133
I'd be all over one of those model 10's.

But I still think a beginner should start with a 6" if possible.

Dave
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Dave

whistle

Yes.

My 8 3/8" is too unwieldy at times.

Dave
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Dave

whistle

Yes.

My 8 3/8" is too unwieldy at times.

Dave

...great comeback...
Mackay was trying to cyber-bully me!

..hey at least he didn't say you had a snubbie...
I really like the SP101's including the 4" Good all around gun. Sure wouldn't hurt to also consider a 4" Security Six as well. Wouldn't have to change the sights. I've got both my son decided he liked the Security six, plus you have an extra round. The nice thing about the SP is you can get 22LR and 38/357mag in the same frame for cheaper shooting. I was at Sportsmans warehouse recently and they had a fair amount of 22LR. Course they have no clue where the market is as far price on ammo, the 100 pack of CCI was $10.99 but it's available. Cabelas usually has a slection as well. I buy 38 special bulk, not as cheap as 22, but cheap enough.
© 24hourcampfire