Home
Posted By: FieldGrade S&W Model 10 4" - 03/10/17
Any good?

Hope so cause I just bought one.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: deflave Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/10/17
Pfffftt.

Probably the most practical handgun ever made.

Plus it's awesome.

And wonderous.

Travis
Posted By: Steelhead Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/10/17
I have a few of them. My favorite handgun
Posted By: johnw Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/10/17
We have a couple. Both are old beaters picked up at auctions. Both smooth as a puppy's ear and straight shooting handguns...
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/10/17
Fine Smith right there!!!!!
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/10/17
I'm not much of a handgunner but I've always liked the simplicity.
I have no idea how old it is but it's pinned for whatever that's worth.
Serial # 3D43XXX

What kind of ammo should I look for?

I'll pick up some cheap stuff to practice with but whats a good all around woods bumming/self defense round.
http://www.georgia-arms.com/38-special-158gr-lead-semi-wadcutter-new/

Should have been made @1978 or 79.

You'll find the sights are generally on the money with 158's. I'd shoot nothing but cast bullets in it. You can get some +P 158gr LSWC hollowpoints that will take care of 2 legged critters.
Is it a 10-8? You'll see it stamped on the on the frame behind the yoke after your 'open' the cylinder.
I don't have it yet but when I blow this pic up it looks it says M10 10-8. Is that a good thing?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 41magfan Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/10/17
Fixed sight K-Frames are generally regulated to shoot POA/POI with 158 gr bullets. Anything lighter will likely shoot a bit low but you can experiment with all that if you wish to use some of the popular 125 to 135 gr loadings.

If you want real power from a .38 Special load, Buffalo Bore offers a high performance number called the Outdoorsman, which uses a 158 gr SWC pushed along at over 1100 fps. That's .357 Magnum performance for all practical purposes.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=291%3Fballistics101.com
Posted By: local_dirt Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/10/17
Wow, FG! That's nice.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/10/17
You did very well. They are a great gun. I especially like the ones with the HB, like you got.
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
You did very well. They are a great gun. I especially like the ones with the HB, like you got.

Thanks...I've seen lots of the pencil barrel recycled police guns for half the price which would be more than what I "need" but I wanted something nice so the HB was a must.

Posted By: smallfry Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/10/17
I own a dozen 10s and 64s. It is irrelevant what they are regulated to and have not found them to be all "regulated to 158s ". Fundamentals should cause you not to give a $hit. 64s and 10s can take a beating that's for sure.

Opps 8 I own.
Posted By: Gibby Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/11/17
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I don't have it yet but when I blow this pic up it looks it says M10 10-8. Is that a good thing?

[Linked Image]

Yes.

10-8 is when S&W moved the gas ring from the yoke to the cylinder on the Heavy Barrel model.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/11/17
Originally Posted by smallfry
I own a dozen 10s and 64s. It is irrelevant what they are regulated to and have not found them to be all "regulated to 158s ". Fundamentals should cause you not to give a $hit. 64s and 10s can take a beating that's for sure.

Opps 8 I own.

That's usually the fact for those that can't shoot worth a sheit.
Posted By: deflave Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/11/17

Thanks...I've seen lots of the pencil barrel recycled police guns for half the price which would be more than what I "need" but I wanted something nice so the HB was a must.

I love the pencil barreled ones and find they are getting tougher to locate than the bulls.

Great revolver you got there.

Travis
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/11/17
Any good?

[Linked Image]
Very nice, indeed. Apart from limited capacity (and in most cases it's no issue at all), you can hardly beat a good old Model 10 in a defensive role, and that's a very nice one. It's clearly a pre-83 version (pinned barrel), which makes it that much nicer. Good snag.
I'm not much of a handgunner but I've always liked the simplicity.
I have no idea how old it is but it's pinned for whatever that's worth.
Serial # 3D43XXX

What kind of ammo should I look for?

I'll pick up some cheap stuff to practice with but whats a good all around woods bumming/self defense round.
How about the old FBI load, a +P 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter?
Originally Posted by 41magfan
Fixed sight K-Frames are generally regulated to shoot POA/POI with 158 gr bullets. Anything lighter will likely shoot a bit low but you can experiment with all that if you wish to use some of the popular 125 to 135 gr loadings.

If you want real power from a .38 Special load, Buffalo Bore offers a high performance number called the Outdoorsman, which uses a 158 gr SWC pushed along at over 1100 fps. That's .357 Magnum performance for all practical purposes.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=291%3Fballistics101.com
Basically reproduces the old Smith & Wesson .38-44 load, which was a nearly magnum .38 Special load designed for the N-Frame Heavy Duty and Outdoorsman back before .357 Magnums came along.
Originally Posted by deflave

I love the pencil barreled ones and find they are getting tougher to locate than the bulls.

Great revolver you got there.

Travis
I'm also a fan of the pencil barrel 10s, but have a couple of the heavy barrels, too.
I think Steelhead has a 6" version.

(That's what she said)

Dave
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/11/17
a 4 inch heavy barrel Model 10 has always been my favorite handgun. This one was rebuilt, new barrel, new innards. Shoots to point of aim with my 140 grain LSWC or 140 grain JHP loads.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Opps 8 I own.

That is what I'm thinking.

People who never tried to shoot small say $h!t like that.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/11/17
my 4 inch M10 is one of my favorite handguns.

I've often thought about finding an old school swivel style duty holster and putting together and old fashioned duty rig for display with it
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/11/17
I have a Bianchi #5BH leather holster that I like. I bought it years ago for my 6" K22 but I never use it anymore so I'll chop a couple of inches off of it. I have some leather working tools but if the saddle shop doesn't want too much $ I'll let him do the deed. Machine sewed always looks better.

I rather not use any of the over powered stuff like the Buffalo Bore. I'm sure something like the cast bullets Steelhead posted will do everything I'll ever need with less recoil on me and wear and tear on the gun.

I haven't bought a handgun in forever so I'm kind of excited to get my hands on this one.

Thanks for all the advise guys.

FG,

Sedate loads with 158gr. S/WC's are my favorite.

Just an idea for you, but for "field guns" I've been buying cheap nylon duty belts and keepers and adding a pouch of some type for empties.

Fun stuff.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by deflave
I think Steelhead has a 6" version.

(That's what she said)

Dave

I have 2, 4, 5 and 6 inch, depending on mood.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/11/17
I have a Bianchi #5BH leather holster that I like. I bought it years ago for my 6" K22 but I never use it anymore so I'll chop a couple of inches off of it. I have some leather working tools but if the saddle shop doesn't want too much $ I'll let him do the deed. Machine sewed always looks better.

I rather not use any of the over powered stuff like the Buffalo Bore. I'm sure something like the cast bullets Steelhead posted will do everything I'll ever need with less recoil on me and wear and tear on the gun.

I haven't bought a handgun in forever so I'm kind of excited to get my hands on this one.

I'll bet that Bianchi might work just fine, FG.

Believe you're right on about foregoing running the Buffalo Bore stuff through that gun. I've got those Outdoorsmans in several different calibers and they are stout little beasts. The .38 spl's will not be going through my new to me Model 15. The 686+ only.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Believe you're right on about foregoing running the Buffalo Bore stuff through that gun. I've got those Outdoorsmans in several different calibers and they are stout little beasts. The .38 spl's will not be going through my new to me Model 15. The 686+ only.
Good idea, as those duplicate loads developed for N-Frame .38 Special revolvers.
Yeah, heavy 38 special loads in K frames bad, 357 magnum K frames, good.....
Posted By: Bristoe Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/11/17
pffft!

A modern K-frame Smith can easily handle any ammo being manufactured that's called .38 Spl.,...and handle *lots* of it.

A man will go broke trying to shoot enough of it to wear one out.
The idea that K-frame is weak is pretty stupid.

I'd not feed it an insane diet of 125gr. duty ammo. But I wouldn't pump that into an L-frame either.

If you want indestructible, get a Ruger. The K-frame is nirvana when it comes to revolvers IMO.

Clark
Posted By: smallfry Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/11/17
Originally Posted by Gibby

Opps 8 I own.

So if your sights aren't dead on at the exact range you shoot at, on a gun you are familiar with, you can't hit anything? Congrats.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Yea LD.....Dave, Clark, Travis, and Steelhead are all full of chit but I'm gonna take their advice on the 158 semi wad cutters anyway.

Travis....you should know by now that I'm to eccentric for plastic and nylon.
Nothing but blue steel, wood, and leather in Charlieland...

[Linked Image]

PS....I have no intention of reloading for this revolver or the 223 Carbine I just bought but I'll save the brass for you or anyone else that wants it.
Oh man! Good to know.

If that's the case I'd grab a bunch of these or similar:

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/19647

Muy accurate.

Dave
Originally Posted by Gibby

Opps 8 I own.

So if your sights aren't dead on at the exact range you shoot at, on a gun you are familiar with, you can't hit anything? Congrats.

Now you are just digging a bigger hole of ignorance. If you can shoot small, then small and fast, big and fast comes easy. Still with small groups. Just hitting a gong is not good shooting practice.
I shoot that Winchester White Box in my 44Mag lever gun.....good stuff..

That's a pretty good price for shipping. The stuff Steelhead posted looks good but shipping is as much as the ammo.

I'll see what I can find in town first but I'll probably have to order on'line.
Posted By: rem141r Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/11/17
that gun and its predecessor the M&P, are probably the most prolific gun that s&w ever made. great little shooters in 4" too.
Posted By: bcolorado Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/11/17
Congrats on the new to you M10.

The K frame in several different models is my favorite handgun.

The spring through fall sees 2-3000 of this concoction enjoyed with the Kframes...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jwp475 Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/11/17

I own 2 K-frame M-19's and all I shoot out of them are 357 mag 158/160 grain and I love them. The 38 special only K-frames will hold up for an extremely long time.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/11/17

Not sure if you reload or not but Remington has a load out called HTP (High Terminal Performance) it's a 38 special +P but it's the old FBI load 158 gr Lead SWCHP. I haven't tried the Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman but I might try to find a box. I don't have a model 10 but I have a Ruger Speed Six 4" 38 special. Not rare, but very uncommon in terms of production numbers. I say not rare, because too many people associate RARE with more valuable, and demand is what determines that. I don't really consider my gun nearly as in demand as yours. Again, nice find.
Posted By: RJC58 Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/11/17
Mannlicher, that's the best looking 10 I've ever seen. Like the look.
Posted By: RufusG Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/11/17
Here's a 4" Model 10 that says 357 Magnum on the barrel.

[Linked Image]
I like the grips.
Posted By: RufusG Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/11/17
Yellow corian from this guy:

http://www.collinscraftgrips.com/pistol_grip.php?ID=538&grip=Smith+and+Wesson+K%2C+L%2C+or+N+J+frame+in+Western+Sun+Corian
Originally Posted by RufusG
Here's a 4" Model 10 that says 357 Magnum on the barrel.

[Linked Image]

Rufus do 357 mags fit in the cylinder? And if they do, do you think they bored the cylinder to fit the 357 or changed the cylinder?
S&W produced Model 10's in 357. It was the 10-6 and the precursor to the Model 13.
S&W produced Model 10's in 357. It was the 10-6 and the precursor to the Model 13.

Good information. Something I did not know.
Posted By: RGK Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/12/17
Don't forget the stainless 64 4". Not as pretty as a polished blue 10, but it's OK.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gibby Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/12/17

Good information. Something I did not know.

http://www.handloads.com/misc/Smith.Model.Changes.asp

Yep, notice that the 10-6 is not listed.

Compare the dates. Later when the model 13 came along.

Not sure if you reload or not but Remington has a load out called HTP (High Terminal Performance) it's a 38 special +P but it's the old FBI load 158 gr Lead SWCHP. I haven't tried the Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman but I might try to find a box. I don't have a model 10 but I have a Ruger Speed Six 4" 38 special. Not rare, but very uncommon in terms of production numbers. I say not rare, because too many people associate RARE with more valuable, and demand is what determines that. I don't really consider my gun nearly as in demand as yours. Again, nice find.

Remember the old Winchester Hi-Vel ammunition? (Pre +P)

When I bought my 10-5 from an old fella's wife, It was loaded with the Hi-Vel and 44 rounds were left in the box he had. It was a nightstand gun. About 98%. She said he never shot it that she new of.
Posted By: Autofive Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/12/17
What does the stamp signify? Mine is stamped 10-5.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/12/17
Originally Posted by RJC58
Mannlicher, that's the best looking 10 I've ever seen. Like the look.

I just added the parkerized Tyler Tgrip adapter. When my gunsmith rebuilt the revolver, he gave it a parkerized finish.
Originally Posted by Autofive
What does the stamp signify? Mine is stamped 10-5.

If your gun is a ....

10-5 Standard weight barrel: They changed the front sight blade from .100" to .125" in width.

10-5 Heavy weight barrel: They eliminated the screw in front of the trigger guard. (The front screw was eliminated on the standard barrel at 10-4)
Posted By: Autofive Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/12/17
Thanks Gibby,mine is a standard wt. barrel.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/12/17
Originally Posted by RGK
Don't forget the stainless 64 4". Not as pretty as a polished blue 10, but it's OK.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Not a stainless fan but that really looks good with the dark grips.

Very nice!
Originally Posted by Autofive
Thanks Gibby,mine is a standard wt. barrel.

So you have the improved (in my opinion) front Blade. Good
Posted By: Steelhead Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/12/17
This is my favorite stainless version, Model 64. It's the first one I recall seeing with the tapered barrel so I bought it.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/12/17
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

[Linked Image]

I like the round butt. I wish my M65s had one.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/12/17
Since the topic is 4" HB's here's mine again. I've got a few Model 10's. I twist their ear pretty good sometimes. They don't seem to mind.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/12/17
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Since the topic is 4" HB's here's mine again. I've got a few Model 10's. I twist their ear pretty good sometimes. They don't seem to mind.

[Linked Image]

B, I like those grips, did they come with the gun? How do they fit the old fingers?
Posted By: Bristoe Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/12/17
Ahrends.

They fit my hand pretty well. They have a few different designs.

http://www.ahrendsgripsusa.com/tactical.htm
Posted By: EdM Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/12/17
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

[Linked Image]

I almost regret giving mine to my middle son.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/12/17

[Linked Image]

Good to know, Bristoe. Maybe I will drop a few of those Outdoorsmans down my 15.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/12/17
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

[Linked Image]

Not a stainless fan but that really looks good with the dark grips.

Very nice!

That really is a nice looking 64 with those dark grips.
Posted By: MOGC Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/12/17
This is my favorite stainless version, Model 64. It's the first one I recall seeing with the tapered barrel so I bought it.

[Linked Image]

That's a handy tool right there. Like that a bunch.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/12/17
The Model 10 and it's predecessor the M&P is a classic, not reason to reinvent the wheel. 158g SWC works well, no need to push the envelope. Typically on the ones I have and have shot you need to leave a bit more of the half nickle site about the notch to be on target. These things have been running for a very long time. They seldom break or have issues. I have an old Victory model as a truck bug out revolver.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/12/17
After seeing all the guns posted here I've come to the conclusion that there isn't any such thing as a bad M 10.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/12/17
I bought an old 4" Model 10 (I believe no dash) a long time ago.

"The Warden" stole it - muttering something about "cold, dead fingers" IIRC smile

She's figured out which end you hold. smile

Rattlesnakes die. (Along with about anything she points it at)
Posted By: GunGeek Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/13/17
pffft!

A modern K-frame Smith can easily handle any ammo being manufactured that's called .38 Spl.,...and handle *lots* of it.

A man will go broke trying to shoot enough of it to wear one out.
I believe post -2 K frames have heat treated cylinders, which is the same metallergically as the magnum. Bill davis used to do a bunch of re-clambering to .357, but the cylinder is a little shorter so you're limited to 125gr.

So, if someone wanted to load to .357 pressure in a late model K frame, they're good to go.
Posted By: Hotload Re: S&W Model 10 4" - 03/20/17
Any good?

[Linked Image]

great gun ! I have 3 of them
© 24hourcampfire