Home
Posted By: longshot3 Glock G40 10mm - 03/26/17
Just got my G40 set up with a Vortex Venom. The reason I got it was to deer hunting in thick cover. Maybe even carried along on a rifle hunt. Anyway, I have never shot a deer with a handgun. What factory loads would you recommend? Shots will be 50 yards, and closer. Thanks!
Posted By: viking Re: Glock G40 10mm - 03/26/17
I am sure a lot of guys with experience will chime in soon, but I would say something in the 180 grain range by major manufacturers . Or go to Underwood ammo. .02 cents.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Glock G40 10mm - 03/26/17
Hornady XTP
Posted By: longshot3 Re: Glock G40 10mm - 03/26/17
I was leaning towards the XTP. Just would like to hear some thoughts from guys that have done it. Seems the 10mm would be about perfect for what I'm thinking.
Posted By: TJAY Re: Glock G40 10mm - 03/26/17
I would use this.
http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=134&product_id=122
Posted By: MIVHNTR Re: Glock G40 10mm - 03/26/17
Federal Premium 10mm 180gr Trophy Bonded Soft Point.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Glock G40 10mm - 03/26/17

Underwood 180 XTP is great from my model 20.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: Glock G40 10mm - 03/26/17
Great! This is a good start. I'm heading out to shoot this Thursday. I try a couple of these out.
Posted By: viking Re: Glock G40 10mm - 03/26/17
The Winchester 175 grain SilverTip is supposed to be a good round too, if you can find them. All I ever see is Hornandy 180's and various FMJs. I did buy a box or two of Team Never Quit 125's.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Glock G40 10mm - 03/26/17
I've shot one deer with the Underwood 200 gr. XTP @ 1250 fps. Excellent performance best I could tell.
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: Glock G40 10mm - 03/26/17
I just traded into a FN FNP, I have been thinking if tripping it, keeping th trijicon and getting a g 40 MOS.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Glock G40 10mm - 03/27/17
I keep contemplating one but don't know what it would do that my 44 magnum would not do.
Posted By: coat4gun Re: Glock G40 10mm - 03/27/17
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I keep contemplating one but don't know what it would do that my 44 magnum would not do.

I can think of 2 things right off the top of my head:

Lighter so more pleasant to carry(unless your 44 mag is a 329pd).
Hold more rounds.
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Glock G40 10mm - 03/28/17
Originally Posted by coat4gun

I can think of 2 things right off the top of my head:

Lighter so more pleasant to carry(unless your 44 mag is a 329pd).
Hold more rounds.

I'm a .44 fan, but add significantly less recoil to the list. The G40 is a useful package.
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Glock G40 10mm - 03/28/17
Originally Posted by MIVHNTR
Federal Premium 10mm 180gr Trophy Bonded Soft Point.

This is the load I am experimenting with in mine. I haven't used it yet, but that is coming.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: Glock G40 10mm - 03/29/17

I thought the same thing. I have a scoped Ruger Redhawk 44 mag, with a 7.5 bbl. The G40 is much lighter and with the Venom, less cumbersome than that big 44. Like someone else said, the recoil is much less as well! Accuracy with 180gr Sig target loads is really good! Now, if I could only get the Glock trigger to break like the Redhawk! 😄

I'm pretty sure that my 44 is going to be spending a lot of time in the safe.
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: Glock G40 10mm - 03/29/17
I tried a G20, only firearm I ever had that had a case blow out (Double Tap ammo). After I got rid of the Lone Wolf barrel and replaced it with a 6" Glock barrel, went to SS recoil rod and stronger stainless recoil spring it was much better, but I never really "trusted" it. Accurate, though, and definitely less recoil than big bore revolvers - my wife enjoyed shooting it. Had a Burris FastFire III on it. Sold it to buy my Ruger SRH .480, no second thoughts. I have too many revolvers of various calibers to shoot them all as much as I should, the semi-auto just didn't fit my "game plan".
Posted By: Jeffpg Re: Glock G40 10mm - 03/29/17
I have a new G40 10mm with the Vortex Venom. I also have a modified G20 and was wondering about upgrades for the G40, which I will use for hunting deer sized game.

I have used the Buffalo Bore 220 grain hard cast ammo with the 6" Lone Wolf barrel of my G20, and was wondering if there would be any advantage of installing the Lone Wolf barrel in the G40, or is the factory barrel on it up to par?
Posted By: RickyD Re: Glock G40 10mm - 03/29/17
Originally Posted by Jeffpg
I have a new G40 10mm with the Vortex Venom. I also have a modified G20 and was wondering about upgrades for the G40, which I will use for hunting deer sized game.

I have used the Buffalo Bore 220 grain hard cast ammo with the 6" Lone Wolf barrel of my G20, and was wondering if there would be any advantage of installing the Lone Wolf barrel in the G40, or is the factory barrel on it up to par?
The only thing I've done to mine is mount a Leupold Delta Point and Dawson Precision tritium co-witness sights on it.

I've got some decent groups initially with 200 hardcast handloads. So far, just used the factory barrel but may have a Bar-Sto fitted for it.

The stock barrel is still polygonal rifling, and that has been a problem for some folks. I will likely pay the price for an aftermarket barrel like the Bar Sto.

I also got a Simply Rugged holster with the harness for chest carry. I think I'll like it.

Posted By: Jeffpg Re: Glock G40 10mm - 03/29/17
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by Jeffpg

The only thing I've done to mine is mount a Leupold Delta Point and Dawson Precision tritium co-witness sights on it.

I've got some decent groups initially with 200 hardcast handloads. So far, just used the factory barrel but may have a Bar-Sto fitted for it.

The stock barrel is still polygonal rifling, and that has been a problem for some folks. I will likely pay the price for an aftermarket barrel like the Bar Sto.

I also got a Simply Rugged holster with the harness for chest carry. I think I'll like it.

I have fired a few Buffalo Bore 220 gr hard cast loads for sight in with good results, but it's not the best thing for those barrels they say. I spoke with a rep at Lone Wolf today and from what he says the new and improved Alpha Wolf barrels are worth the extra money in my opinion. I'm thinking of getting a threaded one in the event I decide to run a suppressor down the road.

I have the Simply Rugged holster for my Ruger Alaskan with their suspension system and I also like it. I am planning to have a cross draw holster made by them that will also work with their harness and also accommodate my Streamlight TLR-1 from a Cape Buffalo hide that I took in South Africa.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Glock G40 10mm - 03/30/17
...I've got some decent groups initially with 200 hardcast handloads. So far, just used the factory barrel but may have a Bar-Sto fitted for it...

You won't regret it. That's what I did with mine. I've been shooting Glocks since they became available to Law Enforcement, and my Glock 40 with the fit barrel is easily the most accurate Glock I've shot.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Glock G40 10mm - 03/31/17
I am planning to have a cross draw holster made by them
I just got a cross draw and strong side holster from El Paso made for a Ruger Redhawk 5.5" 45 Colt I found. I've only tried it as a cross draw so far and really like it. I'll get at least one more. They call it the Double Agent.

If I get an aftermarket barrel, I'll get it threaded, too.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Glock G40 10mm - 03/31/17
...If I get an aftermarket barrel, I'll get it threaded, too.

I had bought some Lone Wolf barrels in the past and they were average shooters. Two years ago I bought a 6" barrel and a long slide, both produced by Lone Wolf. It didn't shoot groups; it looked like I was patterning my shotgun for Turkey season. I got on a benchrest and sand bagged it, trying to take as much of me out of the equation as possible. The range was 15 yards. The best I could get was one 5 shot group that measured 5". Most groups were more like 6" ~ 7".
Posted By: viking Re: Glock G40 10mm - 04/01/17
I think their new Alpha Wolf barrels are really high quality. I got one to covert my 27 to a 26.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Glock G40 10mm - 04/01/17
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
...If I get an aftermarket barrel, I'll get it threaded, too.

I had bought some Lone Wolf barrels in the past and they were average shooters. Two years ago I bought a 6" barrel and a long slide, both produced by Lone Wolf. It didn't shoot groups; it looked like I was patterning my shotgun for Turkey season. I got on a benchrest and sand bagged it, trying to take as much of me out of the equation as possible. The range was 15 yards. The best I could get was one 5 shot group that measured 5". Most groups were more like 6" ~ 7".
That's why I want a Bar Sto. I know it's the luck of the draw with barrels, but they have as good a rep as any in a handgun.

I have a Storm Lake barrel in my 20. It shoots about as good as the factory, which was Ok to good, just not great. I'm hoping for great.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Glock G40 10mm - 04/01/17
Bar-Sto and Kart.
© 24hourcampfire