Home
I'm just curious if anyone has been able to get good accuracy, shooting the shorter cases in a .460
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I'm just curious if anyone has been able to get good accuracy, shooting the shorter cases in a .460

I haven't in my testing, but my experience experimenting was limited. I think if one wants a gentler .460, they should simply use .460 cases and load it down. JMHO.
Understood & agree, but I have a reason for asking. I'm interested in getting a pistol/rifle combo that shoots the same ammo. I've seen a .460 rifle that is nice, but there are no .460 revolvers I care to own. The are desirable .45 Colt or .454 revos that I either own already or would buy. Hence the question smile
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

I haven't in my testing, but my experience experimenting was limited. I think if one wants a gentler .460, they should simply use .460 cases and load it down. JMHO.

This is exactly what I do with my 454, I sometimes load 45lc power loads into 454 brass.

I started doing it years ago with a freedom arms revolver because I didnt want to spend 350 dollars on a cylinder for 45lc.
It works okay with the right load at 25 yards or so and closer. I still use 460s for longer range.

[Linked Image]
I had a 16" Encore barrel the previous owner had added a muzzle brake to. I measured 17" so i used it as both a rifle and a pistol barrel at different times. I couldn't get that barrel to shoot 460 ammo worth a damn but it shot 454's to a cloverleaf at 75 yards. I was going to leave it as a dedicated 454 but a friend talked me out of it.
If you're going to shoot 45/454 in the 460 remember to clean the carbon ring from the chamber before it creates a problem.
© 24hourcampfire