Home
Posted By: Homesteader Ruger .44 Special / 5 shot - 11/07/17
Has any member had the chance to buy and shoot this model yet?
Like the .44's in general but seeking opinions on the new Ruger
before 'pulling the trigger' on this model.
Posted By: Savuti Re: Ruger .44 Special / 5 shot - 11/07/17
Flave has commented extensively.

Mine just came in but I haven't had a chance to shoot it. So far I like it. Descent trigger too. Don't particularly care for the F/O front sight but I'll give it a try.
Posted By: TimZ Re: Ruger .44 Special / 5 shot - 11/08/17
Really like mine, the 3" barrel makes it very handy to carry, and it has been plenty accurate enough.

Tim
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger .44 Special / 5 shot - 11/09/17
I love it and carry it in the field more than any other revolver right now.

Travis
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger .44 Special / 5 shot - 11/09/17
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11675102/5

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12255118/ruger-gp100-44-special

Some light reading for you this Firday.

Clark
I have a 5" and 3". I haven't played with them much but the 5" was shooting really well today. Here are 4 shots form the 5" at 20 yards.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12390793/44-special#Post12390793
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger .44 Special / 5 shot - 11/12/17
You like the 5" or 3" more better?

Dave
I have no use for a .44 Special.
Thanks for sharing.

Travis
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Me either. A 250-grain Keith at 950 fps tends to bounce off most game. Though, in that regard, it may work as a non-lethal device that could be used to mimic hunting.
Originally Posted by deflave
You like the 5" or 3" more better?

Dave

The 3" is nice but the 5" is like the Terri Hatcher character on Seinfeld; It's spectacular! It balances and handles like my older 5" 629 Classic but is a little lighter.
Hmmmm.

Makes me want.

Travis
I love it. Plus it's accurate. The fifth shot is under the tape above the four touching (about an inch to the left in the picture), though it's only 20 yards. You should definitely get one or alternatively find a nice 6.5" 29-2 at a good price.
Posted By: deflave Re: Ruger .44 Special / 5 shot - 11/13/17
Yeah, there is that.

Travis
I've had mine for close to a year (3") and it goes with me a lot. I did change out the grips for a set of old style wood grain panel GP100 compacts. To answer your question; it has become one of my favorite handguns. I don't hot-load it, (I have .44 magnums for heavy loads) instead shoot 250 gr. Keith SWC's over 6.5 gr. of Unique for about 800 fps. Good accuracy, and downright fun to shoot.
I have been using the Brian Pearce load over Power Pistol. Supposedly under 15,000 psi and 950 with a 250 Keith.
Shot my GP100 today some. That is one of the best triggers I've felt on a Ruger. It is sweet.
I'm still waiting to find one of the 5" versions
Posted By: mart Re: Ruger .44 Special / 5 shot - 11/25/17

I have revolvers in nearly every commonly available chambering and even some not so common, and the 44 Special would be the last one standing if I had to get rid of all but one. And a Keith 255 SWC at 950 would do the lion's share of the lifting. I'd bump the same bullet up to 1100-1200 if I was concerned with critters getting bitey.
Posted By: g5m Re: Ruger .44 Special / 5 shot - 11/25/17
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Me either. A 250-grain Keith at 950 fps tends to bounce off most game. Though, in that regard, it may work as a non-lethal device that could be used to mimic hunting.

grin
Originally Posted by g5m
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
[quote=Mannlicher]I have no use for a .44 Special.

grin
[/quote

If no use, why post?
Posted By: walt501 Re: Ruger .44 Special / 5 shot - 11/30/17
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Shot my GP100 today some. That is one of the best triggers I've felt on a Ruger. It is sweet.

Same hear. After a little dry firing my Ruger 3 inch 44 special has as good a trigger as any of my Smith & Wesson revolvers.
© 24hourcampfire