Home
Posted By: TimZ New Ruger SRH announced in 10 MM - 11/08/17
Was hoping that Ruger would come out with one of these, given that the prices of S & W 610s have become astronomical. Brushed SS with a 6.5 " barrel. Already have one on order.

Tim
That's a huge Frickin frame! I've got RedHawks & SuperRedhawks, and while they are all very accurate and pleasant to shoot, I just hate lugging one around for hunting. Too bad RUGER couldn't get some engineers with half a frickin clue and build a 5 shot version on their GP-100 frame like their new .44 special model.

I guess I will have to bite the bullet and send a GP-100 in 357 to Mr Clements for his 10mm conversion.
To each his own, but I personally don't understand the attraction of a double action 10mm. I've had a bunch of auto pistols in the cartridge and it is a fine one, but it is certainly marginal in revolvers. The supposed advantage of the 10 is it's bumping the 41 Mag. in an auto. When you actually ain't in an auto, why? I'd rather just have a 41 Mag. that can easily outperform a 10 if I'm carrying a double action. Again, to each his own though and if it makes somebody happy, it's fine with me. Crap, I can remember when Smith would only produce double actions in 45 Colt in limited numbers and Ruger wouldn't put the 45 Colt in the Redhawk at all.
One attraction is being able to shoot 40's as well as 10's. I have a couple of them and love moon clips while shooting. Folks like me who enjoy them probably aren't looking to "outperform" another round....I just like to shoot. If I've already got 10mm auto's (and 40's) a revolver in the same is just another way to shoot something I already load for.

I agree with chlinstructor, the GP-100 would be a better size. SRH's are monsters.
Fail boat.

Clark
Yes, agreed, the GP 100 would have been better choice in terms of size and weight, but as I already shoot the 10 MM and not the 41 , this makes a much more affordable solution than trying to win a bid on GunBroker for a Smith & Wesson 610. Those things have gone through the roof . YMMV.

Tim
Should be fun regardless, TimZ.

Bet it's a shooter too.

Clark
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
That's a huge Frickin frame! I've got RedHawks & SuperRedhawks, and while they are all very accurate and pleasant to shoot, I just hate lugging one around for hunting. Too bad RUGER couldn't get some engineers with half a frickin clue and build a 5 shot version on their GP-100 frame like their new .44 special model.

I guess I will have to bite the bullet and send a GP-100 in 357 to Mr Clements for his 10mm conversion.

Rifle season must be hell on ya, hauling around 8+ lbs <grin>
As noted, you might as well go .41 Mag, AND the SRH is now offered in .41, according to their website. I also saw a Blackhawk Hunter in .41 Mag., too. Either of those make more sense, especially the Blackhawk. Hell, I think the regular Redhawk is a bit porky for a .41, let alone the SRH. I have no objections, of course, to anyone buying one of those monstrosities, but I don't care to have one myself.
I love my 10mm Clements GP100. I would prefer to see the small frame Vaquero in 10mm.
This is an odd mis-step for Ruger, which has been on a bit of a roll the past few years with its revolver introductions. The GP100 is the natural platform for the 10mm; and, failing that, the standard Redhawk would be more desirable than the SRH which is unnecessarily large.
Ream it out to 10mm Magnum. Ruger should have just chambered it for it to begin with.

How about a 5 shot SP101 in 10mm?
i have one of those buckeye special blackhawks in 38wcf and 10mm. with the long barrel 10mm gets up there velocity wise.
I also have the redhawk in 41mag and 45colt. They are bulky next to a smith.
one of the primary reasons for getting them is if i wanted to go to the firewall in those calibers, and not beat up the smiths.
the 41mag in the blackhawk actually balances pretty good for me.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i have one of those buckeye special blackhawks in 38wcf and 10mm. with the long barrel 10mm gets up there velocity wise.

That's more like it.
The SRH is an overweight artillery piece in 44 mag. Why in the hell would you want that boat anchor in such a small, caliber?
Originally Posted by pacecars
I love my 10mm Clements GP100. I would prefer to see the small frame Vaquero in 10mm.

A stainless Vaquero with a 10mm and a 40 cylinder would be neat.
Ruger only has to worry about what will sell, not what makes sense. Some collectors will buy any variation of their pets, just to have them all. Think Beanie Babies.
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

A stainless Vaquero with a 10mm and a 40 cylinder would be neat.

It would save me from having to send one to Clements for conversion! Although either way I would add his front and rear sight. If I could find one of the ones in .40 S&W and just have the chambers lengthened I would be happy
They did make a small run of .40/10mm Vaqueros. I seen one.

Travis
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
One attraction is being able to shoot 40's as well as 10's. I have a couple of them and love moon clips while shooting. Folks like me who enjoy them probably aren't looking to "outperform" another round....I just like to shoot. If I've already got 10mm auto's (and 40's) a revolver in the same is just another way to shoot something I already load for.

The real attraction is they come with 3 full moon clips.
Originally Posted by deflave
They did make a small run of .40/10mm Vaqueros. I seen one.

Travis

I have seen a couple of the .40 S&W Vaqueros except their owners were extremely proud of them.
Ya gotta kinda wonder if Ruger is going to bring out the SRH in .22/.22WMR. Not my cuppa tea.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Ya gotta kinda wonder if Ruger is going to bring out the SRH in .22/.22WMR. Not my cuppa tea.

I don't know, a 20 shot revolver might be cool!
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
The SRH is an overweight artillery piece in 44 mag. Why in the hell would you want that boat anchor in such a small, caliber?

Agreed!.......Hb
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

Agreed!.......Hb

I'm tempted, but I'm holding out for a S&W X-frame in .380 Auto - I already have the dies. wink
I wonder why they didn't put it in the GP100.

Maybe the SRH is more scope friendly.

Probably make a great tree stand revolver.
I kick myself for not having a 10mm cylinder made when I converted a 4" Smith M28 to 38WCF. I have a Buckeye and fairly recently acquired a 5" M610 no dash. I am really enjoying the 610 though wish it was lugless.
Does that Buckeye shoot well, Ed? Or is it NIB?

Those are cool revolvers.

Travis
I have a single action Blackhawk in 10mm and really like it. While the GP100 is a fine revolver it is too small to handle a steady diet of full-power 10mm in a 6-shot configuration so it is not something I would purchase. My choice would have been doing the 10mm in a Redhawk and not the SRH but I am not ruling it out. Love shooting moon clips on the range as collecting brass is very easy.
A solution without a problem...
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

Agreed!.......Hb

I'm tempted, but I'm holding out for a S&W X-frame in .380 Auto - I already have the dies. wink
lmao!......Hb
Originally Posted by deflave
Does that Buckeye shoot well, Ed? Or is it NIB?

Those are cool revolvers.

Travis

Yes it does but I have only shot 38 WCF. The 10 cylinder appears to have never been installed.
Originally Posted by saleen322
I have a single action Blackhawk in 10mm and really like it. While the GP100 is a fine revolver it is too small to handle a steady diet of full-power 10mm in a 6-shot configuration so it is not something I would purchase. My choice would have been doing the 10mm in a Redhawk and not the SRH but I am not ruling it out. Love shooting moon clips on the range as collecting brass is very easy.

The GP100 is plenty strong for the 10mm. The Clements conversions are firing thousands of rounds and I have not heard of any issues with them
Originally Posted by saleen322

I'm pretty sure the GP will handle that round just fine.

If there were any concerns they could make it a five shooter.

Dave
I would be all over a GP-100 in ,41 Mag, 5 or 6 shot
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Yer Right...can't be a huge market for that. I suppose Ruger will be happy selling
a thousand of them. Maybe then take you're advice and sell a thousand more.
Gun junkies will buy anything and everything...it's an addiction FOWK.

Unless one is speed shooting and the faster moon clip reloads is required for the speed, I see no reason to have a 10mm revolver instead of a 41 mag.
Even then, a speed loader is just a fast as moon clips. Maybe faster due to the handle.
Cant imagine wanting to shoot 10mm ammo so bad that I would buy something like that.
Moon clips are a little faster since there is no release to manipulate. just throw and go with chamfered cylinders
They should have made it a 10mm magnum with an extra .38-40 cylinder
I bought a .357 cylinder for my .401 Herters single action, intending to have it rebored to 10mm, but things have gotten in the way and it still hasn't been done. Thinking it might be a worthwhile effort, though.

Mike
Holmes
Moon clips are a little faster since there is no release to manipulate. just throw and go with chamfered cylinders

Yep
© 24hourcampfire