Home
Posted By: canonman Snake shot - 04/24/18
would like to make up some snake loads for my 45. How must shot , what size , an what powder..? 45 colt to be shot in a blackhawk... thanks for any help Ozzie
Posted By: Snake River Marksman Re: Snake shot - 04/24/18
Ballistic products, order some 12 shot. 3 grains of most any pistol powder. Cardboard wads under and over all the shot the case will hold. Done.
Posted By: John_Havard Re: Snake shot - 04/24/18
Check out this older thread. It should help a lot.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6386432/2QUOTE=Ferrum;13268293
Posted By: Yondering Re: Snake shot - 04/25/18
The best patterns in my .45 shotshells were always when using a shortened .410 shot cup with a thin over-shot card wad. You give up some shot capacity with the .410 shot cup but make up for it with a better pattern that's denser in the center to longer distances, and more consistent shot to shot. Direct contact of the shot against the rifling makes for poor patterns most of the time.

I use the old RCBS 45 ACP shotshell dies to crimp my over shot wad; these work well for any 45 caliber straight wall case.

These are for the .460 S&W, but same idea. The target was shot at 10 yards (most pistol shotshell patterns you'll find are at much closer distances).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jt402 Re: Snake shot - 04/27/18
Agree with 12s. The factory .22 lr shot shells melt rattlesnakes of the usual sizes encountered. For larger ones, decapitate them with a bullet at the back of the head. A good .45 load should be devistating, even on larger ones.

Jack
Posted By: Snake River Marksman Re: Snake shot - 04/27/18
Since I'm sitting here at my computer, I can try and elaborate a little more.
Pop the spent primer from a case and use a drill to drill out the primer pocket.
Run a machine screw or self tapping screw through the hole. Make sure it is secure. You are going to use this screw as a shaft to chuck up into your drill.
Use the outside deburring tool you normally use for loading to bevel a relatively sharp edge on the case mouth. I like to put small nicks in the edge of the case mouth to act as saw teeth but it isn't really necessary.
The cardboard from cereal boxes make pretty decent wads.Playing cards work well also.
Use the tool you made to cut out the wads you need.
Size, prime, and charge your cases as normal.
Do Not bell the case mouth.
You only need a couple of grains of powder. More is rarely better. It tends to blow holes in the pattern unless you are use shot cups.
Once the powder is in, put a cardboard wad over the powder. Fill the rest of the case with shot. Leave enough room to put a wad over the shot charge and to give it a good, heavy crimp.
A little bit of hot melt glue or super glue keeps the whole thing together when they are bumping around in a holster or glove box or where ever.

I've never killed a snake with these, but I've killed a couple of chipmunks and a bunch of voles. From 5 feet away or so they kill with authority and I'm quite certain any snake close enough to be a problem is going to be flattened decisively.
Posted By: canonman Re: Snake shot - 04/27/18
Thank you guys for all the help, just need to find some 12 shot and start to load thanks again Ozzie
Posted By: Snake River Marksman Re: Snake shot - 04/27/18
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Chilled-Lead-Shot-12-13mm-10_bag/productinfo/02612/

12 shot. 10lbs $39. Pretty much enough to last a lifetime. Unless you're killing a hell of a lot of snakes.
Posted By: dvnv Re: Snake shot - 04/27/18
Yondering:

Impressive pattern, thanks for posting it.
Posted By: Calif. Hunter Re: Snake shot - 04/27/18
I use the Speer capsules with #12 shot and 3.5 gr of Titegroup. I also use #12 and Titegroup in .38Spl/.357 and .44 Spl/Mag with the capsules.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Snake shot - 04/27/18
445 Supermag brass gives you more room for shot. I picked up on that from another thread that was pretty educational.
© 24hourcampfire