Home
Posted By: JackVliet Strongest 10mm handgun - 10/18/18
I've been looking at getting a 10mm pistol lately, and I'm having a
A hard time find out which pistol or pistols can handle a steady diet
of the hottest loads without wearing down too fast.

Unless basically every new 10mm is equally capable? If that's so than good,
but I imagine there's a gun or two that stand up to the abuse better.

Thanks for any thoughts, information!
Posted By: pacecars Re: Strongest 10mm handgun - 10/18/18
The Ruger Super Redhawk will undoubtably be the strongest followed by their Blackhawk and then GP-100. As far as autos go I have fired a crap load of Doubletao 200 gr hardcast at 1300 FPS in a Glock 20 and 29, Sig 1911, Colt Delta Elite, DW CBOB and S&W 610 with no ill effects on any of them. I am currently playing with a Kimber Camp Guard and so far so good. I have not shot one but if you want to save a little money look at the Ruger 10mm 1911. I may give the new Springfield XD a look myself
Posted By: Whitworth1 Re: Strongest 10mm handgun - 10/18/18
SRH, no doubt...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JackVliet Re: Strongest 10mm handgun - 10/18/18
Oops my bad, I was thinking autos and forgot to specify. I think if I went the revolver route I would
Stick with my s&w 29. But that is interesting, the 10mm in a wheel gun.
Posted By: desertoakie Re: Strongest 10mm handgun - 10/18/18
S&W1006 or 1076 by far. Built like a brick chithouse!
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: Strongest 10mm handgun - 10/18/18
I have been liking my 2 EAA Witnesses in 10mm, but hope to try a 1911 soon.

Mike Holmes
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Strongest 10mm handgun - 10/19/18
All of this 10mm mania is akin to the Creed hysteria.

Why would you prefer a 10mm in a wheel gun when you could have a 41 Magnum?
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Strongest 10mm handgun - 10/19/18
Originally Posted by Reloder28
All of this 10mm mania is akin to the Creed hysteria.

What hysteria? We have maybe 15 guys posting that really like the 10mm. That's not hysteria, just 10mm guys of which I am one. Glock 20 and Glock 40.

Originally Posted by Reloder28
Why would you prefer a 10mm in a wheel gun when you could have a 41 Magnum?

Agreed.

Max, that Ruger Super Redhawk is severely under used if it's chambered in 10mm!

What do they proof that Super Redhawk at? 200,000 PSI?
Posted By: spence1875 Re: Strongest 10mm handgun - 10/19/18
Originally Posted by desertoakie
S&W1006 or 1076 by far. Built like a brick chithouse!

These are great guns, I have two, but if you have them don't shoot them a lot. Smith has zero parts them.

I agree with the wheelgun comment, get a 41 mag. One of my biggest dumb gun sales was a 657 mountain gun I had, wish I still had it.

Semi autos it is hard to beet the glocks, had 29 and 20, liked them both.

1911s are fine if you get a heavy coned barrel or long slide, otherwise serious frame issues can happen.

My 2 cents. be safe all.
Posted By: saleen322 Re: Strongest 10mm handgun - 10/19/18
The 10mm revolver is now a must have for me. The SRH Ruger is the strongest 10mm I seen. It will handle any SAMMI spec load out there and shoot it comfortably for as long as you want. We also have a Ruger single action revolver that is very strong as well. Our 1911 10mm does a good job but it would not take the steady pounding the SRH would IMHO. The S&W 1006 would have been my choice for the strongest auto until we seen a Sig P220. It has the best case support I have ever seen in a factory barrel. The only modification I would make to it would be to put a little heavier recoil spring if you wanted to shoot a steady diet of max loads. YMMV
Posted By: JackVliet Re: Strongest 10mm handgun - 10/19/18
I appreciate all the responses, I'll have to look more into the sig.
Any of them you would stay away from?
Posted By: deflave Re: Strongest 10mm handgun - 10/19/18
Originally Posted by JackVliet
I've been looking at getting a 10mm pistol lately, and I'm having a
A hard time find out which pistol or pistols can handle a steady diet
of the hottest loads without wearing down too fast.

Unless basically every new 10mm is equally capable? If that's so than good,
but I imagine there's a gun or two that stand up to the abuse better.

Thanks for any thoughts, information!

I'd guess you're never going to find someone that has had their Smith and Glock digest thousands of full house 10mm loads to give a real comparison.

But those are the two I'd start with.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Strongest 10mm handgun - 10/19/18
I think a Super Redhawks in 10mm would be great.
When they are available for closeout prices, I'm buying one.
They are the modern rifle equivalent of the 760 in 222.

A good gun and a good chambering.

But a pairing that makes no pfoooking sense.

In a couple decades, they will be seriously sought after, like the 760 in 222.

Because nobody wanted a 10mm chambered artillery piece.

Whitworth,
I mean no offense, and no doubt that's a fine gun.
I'm sure it shoots soft.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Strongest 10mm handgun - 10/19/18
10mm artillary piece! Where are the wheels on that pistol! I have to agree if your shooting a 40 ounce gun it aught to be something like a 44 magnum, 454 etc!
Posted By: FWP Re: Strongest 10mm handgun - 10/19/18

I have 3 10's, a Glock 20, a Delta and the Sig 220. The Sig is the heaviest and biggest in overall dimensions but it is the most accurate and I have no doubt the strongest.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Strongest 10mm handgun - 10/20/18
Originally Posted by FWP

I have 3 10's, a Glock 20, a Delta and the Sig 220. The Sig is the heaviest and biggest in overall dimensions but it is the most accurate and I have no doubt the strongest.

I really like the Sig 220. How long have they been chambering it in 10mm?
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Strongest 10mm handgun - 10/20/18
A couple/few years now in different varieties.

I always did like the 220..........I really like the 220 in 10mm.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Strongest 10mm handgun - 10/20/18
Originally Posted by NH K9
A couple/few years now in different varieties.

I always did like the 220..........I really like the 220 in 10mm.

I have to get one now. I really like the 10mm and I really like the Sig 220.
Posted By: NMScout308 Re: Strongest 10mm handgun - 10/21/18
1+ on the P220. I’m a big time 1911 guy and have/had 10mms in Kimber, Dan Wesson, Fusion, Glock, STI 2011, and now Sig P220 SA/DA. I’d put the Sig ahead of any of them in terms of build and for me controllability. STI is a close 2nd but I’ve beefed it up to handle recoil better. Functionality out of the box: Glock (of course) and the Sig equal. Accuracy (for me) STI then Sig. Trigger: 1911/2011 then Sig. conceal ability: DW Bob. Safest: Sig (IMO). After market goodies 1911 by far. Case support Sig,1911s. Capacity: STI then Glock. Assembly/disassembly: SIG. Fun factor: they’re all fun.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Strongest 10mm handgun - 10/21/18
If you must have a 10mm semi-auto, the Sig is tough to beat.........if you don't want a 1911.
I have had several different 10's over the years, the only one I would be weary of is the Colt Delta. They are great guns, well made, except some of them have very poor cartridge support in the bbl. Maybe Colt has fixed this now, but I doubt it. Yes I know friends that have those guns that were fine. I have helped friends buy used Deltas that had great support. However, some of them are down right dangerous and can only handle powder puff loads. I have corresponded with quite a few that have this problem. If you buy one, take a dummy cartridge with you and put it in the barrel and look at it first, compare to another barrel that is good in that department if you don't know what your looking for. I can't understand how a company like Colt can let something like this slide. (no pun). It is BS, and with the one I had they said it was in specs. Mine made bulges in the case with any normal or slightly hot load. We are talking bulges not just smileys. Checking barrel support on any new 10 (not talking revolvers) is a good idea. A ramped barrel seems like a good idea for the 1911 type guns, although I am no expert. And remember if you buy a 1911 style gun, swapping a bbl out for an aftermarket is not quite as easy as with a glock, and you may cause yourself some headache if you try to do it yourself and botch it.

I like the concept of that Redhawk, it probably feels like shooting a .38 special, and would be a fun gun. Agreed if you were to hunt with it, why bother, go to a bigger cartridge. .
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Strongest 10mm handgun - 10/23/18
I would never own a gun with Colt’s name on it, especially a 1911.
© 24hourcampfire