Home
[Linked Image]

I've tried to buy these for 5 years, with no luck. Found 'em in a damned Cabela's... 4 days after I could have used them in snake country.

At least they won't go bad before my next hunt in snake land.

FC
Good stuff. They work well.
I suppose I should pattern 'em like a shotgun before heading afield, no?

FC
Yes, you should pattern them. You need to be close, like 10' or less.
Posted By: Waders Re: Got me some unobtanium! - 03/13/19
If you want more, TargetSportsUSA.com has it in stock.
No need to pattern, they are good to about 15' on red squirrels and chipmunks. I found an assortment of snake loads in 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt a few years back and have been using them to shoot critters in outbuildings. I'd like to find some more myself.
Posted By: m1rifleman Re: Got me some unobtanium! - 03/13/19
anyone tried to make some?
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Got me some unobtanium! - 03/13/19
I used to buy them in 44 and shoot starlings with a Super Blackhawk as they were flying in between the barns
Posted By: Yondering Re: Got me some unobtanium! - 03/13/19
Originally Posted by m1rifleman

Yes. I have an old set of RCBS dies that allows you to make them from shortened 308 brass. They look nearly identical to the CCI product, other than the brass case.
I've loaded quite a few of them and experimented with shot pattern of different loads. IMO - for the time involved, just buy the CCI shotshells if you can.
Posted By: EdM Re: Got me some unobtanium! - 03/13/19
Was in Academy yesterday and they had them as well as the same in 40 S&W that I never knew existed.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Got me some unobtanium! - 03/13/19
Well, it's getting to be that time of year... laugh
Posted By: jmd025 Re: Got me some unobtanium! - 03/13/19
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I used to buy them in 44 and shoot starlings with a Super Blackhawk as they were flying in between the barns

I buy the capsules and load my own . Pretty fun and useful
Posted By: moosemike Re: Got me some unobtanium! - 03/14/19

I've made some for the .38 S&W cartridge.
Originally Posted by mudhen
Well, it's getting to be that time of year... laugh

Yup. I bought a pack of the 38/357 shotshells earlier today for that reason.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Got me some unobtanium! - 03/14/19
I prefer shotshells loaded with rock salt and nails.

The rock salt if you don't want to hurt something bad and
the nails if''n you change your mind while their on the way.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Got me some unobtanium! - 03/14/19
Huh. I didn't notice them being scarce. But then - I've got the most of the same couple of packs left I've had for a few years.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Got me some unobtanium! - 03/14/19
If you ever see these, grab em. They're super effective with the #12's & function well in a good 1911.. Sadly, they're no longer made.

[Linked Image]
Anyone know if CCI or anybody else makes shot shells for 9MM???

Sure would be handy to have along when sage rat hunting in eastern Oregon.

Thanks! Virgil B.
I ineed some of those. In case I am ever charged by a snake. I could give them rapid fire and lay down a hail of shot that would be destructioning destruction to a crafty serpent bent on chasing me down and jumping on me and fanging me to death.

ATENTION, ATTENTION ARE THERE ANY EXPERTS HERE ON SHOOTING CHARGING SNAKES WITH SHOT CARTRIDGES?

At least it wont be a tired subject that has a never ending plot.
Serpent Loads. For the evil Serpent. The stealthly,creepy, beady eyed demon of the underworld that strikes terror in the minds of the young and old, male and female and the inbetween.
If one has snake loads does that mean he is going snake hunting? That is THE question.
Posted By: 357Carbine Re: Got me some unobtanium! - 03/14/19
https://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/pestcontrol_specialty.aspx
Smaller the shot size the better. Notice the 9mm, #12 shot and works very well.
Posted By: Savuti Re: Got me some unobtanium! - 03/14/19
CCI is also making these with #4 shot in certain chamberings. 9x19, 38Sp/357, 44Sp/Mag, & 45Colt.
Posted By: Allen917 Re: Got me some unobtanium! - 03/14/19
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
I ineed some of those. In case I am ever charged by a snake. I could give them rapid fire and lay down a hail of shot that would be destructioning destruction to a crafty serpent bent on chasing me down and jumping on me and fanging me to death.

ATENTION, ATTENTION ARE THERE ANY EXPERTS HERE ON SHOOTING CHARGING SNAKES WITH SHOT CARTRIDGES?

Not long after I bought my S&W Mod 29 (complete with presentation case), I saw a small rattle snake crossing a hard packed road. I grabbed my revolver, jumped out of the truck and advanced on the snake. After carefully aiming at the coiled up snake, at a distance of about 8 ft, I pulled the trigger! The 44 mag hollow point bullet over penetrated the snake, striking the hard packed road, which erupted into a small crater. In the process of this, the eruption caused the snake to be picked up and flung at me, striking me in the legs. This caused an immediate high stepping dance to take place in the middle of the hard packed road, along with a lot of yelling and unkind words, all while trying to hang onto my new S&W Mod 29. Made note to myself in the aftermath to get some 44 Mag shotshells, for dispatching snakes in the future.

Back in the 1980s I used to make them for .44 Special. I’d seal them with warm wax. I’d warm up wax in a tray, and turn the tray upside down and cookie cutter each round with a wax plug, after charging them. Worked pretty good.
If you would had stayed in the truck and kept going you wouldn't have had the life altering experience and the mental anguish of knowing how you looked doing the Texas Two Step while nearly soiling yourself and thinking I AM THE GREAT SNAKE HUNTER.

Originally Posted by Allen917

Not long after I bought my S&W Mod 29 (complete with presentation case), I saw a small rattle snake crossing a hard packed road. I grabbed my revolver, jumped out of the truck and advanced on the snake. After carefully aiming at the coiled up snake, at a distance of about 8 ft, I pulled the trigger! The 44 mag hollow point bullet over penetrated the snake, striking the hard packed road, which erupted into a small crater. In the process of this, the eruption caused the snake to be picked up and flung at me, striking me in the legs. This caused an immediate high stepping dance to take place in the middle of the hard packed road, along with a lot of yelling and unkind words, all while trying to hang onto my new S&W Mod 29. Made note to myself in the aftermath to get some 44 Mag shotshells, for dispatching snakes in the future.
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Yeah, I used to buy the 44 & 357 Speer capsules and load them with #8 or 9 shot, shot one gopher and few bumblebees with them. Not one of the wimpy gophers up North, one of the monsters we have down here. Good thing he didn't charge.😂
Posted By: Scott F Re: Got me some unobtanium! - 03/14/19
Somewhere in my shop I have a couple of 45 shot shells issued to the Army Air Core crews in WWII for shooting fish if they were downed over water and floating around in a life raft. Big red cardboard round nost long enough they had to be single fed into the chamber.

Funny thing is you talk like snakes don't charge. Like it's a joke. You don't have much experience with Rattlers.
I used to shoot Rattlers with a .25 auto. It did the job but I'd rather try some of these.
Yes they do. They will chase you down and attack. They can move about 46 miles an hour over a hundred yards.

Originally Posted by moosemike

Funny thing is you talk like snakes don't charge. Like it's a joke. You don't have much experience with Rattlers.
I actually did shoot a charging rattler about 25 years ago. Came around the corner on a narrow trail on the backside of Mingus Mountain and almost stepped on it, and it came on while I backpedaled. Had a 29 carried strongside with 2 CCI shotshells up first - drew and punched at ol' Jake while rolling through DA, shot charge took him amidships. He started flipping around while I squeezed off #2 single action with the sights for the anchor shot.

I've run across a lot of rattlesnakes over the years and that was the only one to ever force my hand.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Got me some unobtanium! - 03/16/19
They'll come for you if they're good and aggravated. Copperheads and Cottonmouths will too.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Got me some unobtanium! - 03/16/19
I've always been of the kind that it's just wise to kill any rattler I come across
We are now going have to have a thread: " What Load For Charging Snakes?"
That will probably be good for 50 to 100 posts with pictures included of vicious vipers both alive and deceased with both photos of victims that did not stop the charge quick enough along with photos of the victorious shooters posing with the deceased unlucky evil vipers as the shootees.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: Got me some unobtanium! - 03/18/19
Good idea, thanks. I want to see dead cottonmouths and coral snakes. I didn't take any pictures, too busy savoring the sweet nectar of victory over the low evil ones. Don't get too close with the pistola shot shells, let'em spread a bit to cover the coil.
Posted By: achadwick Re: Got me some unobtanium! - 03/18/19
Originally Posted by Allen917

Thanks for the laughs, Allen!
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Got me some unobtanium! - 03/18/19
I make my own 38's with Speer shot capsules. But 5 shots in a S&W model 60 isn't good on the ears.
© 24hourcampfire